Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What straight razor to get?

Options
  • 11-12-2017 6:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭

I currently use a a normal Wilkinson Sword Hydro 5, which is grand for shaving the head, but find it not the best for shaping the beard as per below picture. My beard trimming dude at my usual place trimmed the beard down so it's a better line, but find that I cannot keep a good line, as I cannot see what I'm shaving with the Hydro.

435959.png

Thus, I think the only way would be a double edge safety razor such as this one. I'm in Toronto, and have Prime, so pretty much looking at this one as I can get it shortly.

But before I click to buy it, should I be looking for anything in particular for what I want? Also, can I continue using the Gillette gel? Or is there any particular brand I should look for? Not interested in "bling", prefer a "if it works, I'll use it" way of thinking.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

You could also buy a shavette. It's same as a straight razor/cutthroat razor except you can buy the same DE blades and break them in half and use one half at a time. The blades are clip in so no need to resharpen.

A very cheap one is the Blue Beards Revenge it's a blue handle I got mine for €10 from the UK so should be cheap over there too.

I use mine for lots of grooming, from beard tidying to eyebrow tidying. What's great is its so easy to see with

Also yes you can keep using any gel or cream it's no problem I used use it with my DE razors.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

A very cheap one is the Blue Beards Revenge it's a blue handle I got mine for €10 from the UK so should be cheap over there too.
    $60 here! http://a.co/7i8tYRk and probably comes from the US.

Googled shavette, and got this video which lead me to this which comes with 5 blades; something the other does not, which, considering the price of blades, is a bit mad!

Big thanks for showing me this different type of blade :)

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭mac.in

I use Dovo shavette. I find it's more convenient for me than Bluebeards, or Parker.

Advertisement