Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ISTQB Certified Tester - Foundation Course

Options
  • 02-10-2017 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭

Hi,

I am just wondering if anyone has any advice in relation to the following course:
    https://www.sqs.com/en/academy/cours...foundation.php

I am about to begin a new job in software testing and am thinking of doing this course.
    Would one need much practical experience before doing this (as I don't have a lot yet).
    Also, is the course OK and is it straightforward to pass?

is it a good recognised qualification?

Thanks

Comments

No experience required IMO. There's decent material online (and some awful stuff). My college class all passed after doing a 5 credit module. Experience is required for the next level (though foundation level extensions are also available). From colleagues they found the official book very useful. Between it and the sample paper online there should be enough to pass.

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭trafficlight

Thanks for the info :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I did it years ago. Straightforward course and not a bad introduction to the area

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭pillphil

Didn't do the course, but did the exam.

I found the best thing to do is as many practice tests as you can, there's one on the ISTQB website, and another two on the TestCompetence app for Android.

There are a lot more online which are good for getting familiar with the type of question that will come up, but I wouldn't blindly trust the answers. I've found a good few of them to be wrong, but seeing the format of the question is still useful.
    ...is it a good recognised qualification?
    A lot of job ads list it as a requirement, so no harm having it.

I'd definitely recommend having a go without dropping an extra 800 or so on that course tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Currently going through the Foundations of Software Testing: ISTQB Certification Book by Dorothy Graham and Erik P. W. M. Veenendaal - a lot of information to process but I'm assuming going through this with a pinch of salt, doing the mock tests and some common sense should be enough for the 65%?

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭pillphil

Currently going through the Foundations of Software Testing: ISTQB Certification Book by Dorothy Graham and Erik P. W. M. Veenendaal - a lot of information to process but I'm assuming going through this with a pinch of salt, doing the mock tests and some common sense should be enough for the 65%?

I just used the syllabus from the ISTQB site and lots of practice tests.

Here's a list of a few, I wouldn't trust the non ISTQB site ones blindly, I've seen quite a few incorrect answers. They're still useful to see the format of the questions that may come up.
    There's also an app pcalled TestCompetence on android (don't know about ios) with 2 free samples that I thought was pretty good.
    Mock testing available online for ISTQB Foundation:
    From their own site available to download for free : http://www.istqb.org/downloads/category/15-foundation-level-exam-documents.html
    This site has revision tutorials and practice tests: http://www.testingexcellence.com/istqb-quiz/istqb-foundation-practice-exam-1/
    Seemingly unlimited tests here: http://istqb.patshala.com/
    Lots of mock tests on this site too, although I am slightly reluctant to endorse as it has dumps too... http://istqbexamcertification.com/istqb-certification-foundation-level-syllabus/

Cheers pillphil! I'm Android so will grab that app too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 starbucks

Hi, I was just wondering if you know if it's possible to sit the exam in Ireland if not enrolled on a course (so self study)? The link for the Irish board on the ISTQB site doesn't see to load at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

An old employer of mine forced us to do that course. It's a complete waste of time. Don't waste your money.

EDIT: I guess it might be useful if you're a complete beginner who doesn't naturally think like a QA person.

I worked in QA for many years (both manual and automation) and managed QA teams. Roughly 15 years experience of this.

Here's the basics of being a good QA engineer:

1. Read the functional spec and tech spec so you understand the exact functionality of the feature. If neither of these documents exist, flag to your manager that quality may be lower due to a lack of proper communication between teams. I don't care if your environment is "agile" - things need to be written down.

2. You're not trying to prove something works. You're trying to prove it doesn't work. Your mentality needs to be you must destroy the feature. So you test it from every angle (think of every possible thing a person could do - from your mam to a hacker). This doesn't mean you should be a dick - always be nice to the development team. Their job is difficult.

3. You should feel uncomfortable if you cannot find any issues. There are always issues.

4. When logging a bug, assume the person reading it knows nothing. So provide step by step instructions to recreate the issue. Include the logs. Include screenshots. Ensure you specify the exact version you're testing, and your setup (e.g. Windows 10, Chrome 10.1, etc.).

If you simply do the four steps above, you will be fine.

You should be willing to learn new things. SQL, the concepts of REST, using the command line, etc.

• Advertisement

starbucks wrote: »
    Hi, I was just wondering if you know if it's possible to sit the exam in Ireland if not enrolled on a course (so self study)? The link for the Irish board on the ISTQB site doesn't see to load at all.

Yup - I self-studied and took the exam in New Horizons on Great Strand St

Advertisement