Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Forum Game : CODENAMES

Options
  • 25-10-2017 3:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭

50364627?wid=520&hei=520&fmt=pjpeg

This is a sign up thread for the first game and a thread to discuss and explain the rules.

Needs at least 4 players but we could play with up to 8.

It's a fairly low-effort game, you won't need to be reading through pages and pages of text à la Werewolf or anything. You'll basically just be responding to one word clues with one word answers then waiting for myself or the other team captain to inform you of the accuracy of your choice.
    RULES wrote:
    Two teams with a team captain on each side.

A 5x5 grid of random words.

The team captains are given a single key card between them, only they can see, which tells them which words belong to which team. Each team has 9/8 words to locate depending on whether they 1st/2nd in turn order.

The team captains then take it turns giving single word clues to their team, followed by a number representing how many words of the 25 this single word is a clue for.

Example:

Blue team captain wants his team to find the words CITY, TALL and EMPIRE, so he says to his team "Skyscraper 3".

His team then picks words, one at a time, that they think might match the clue. They must pick at least one word, but after that they may pass if they're unsure. They may pick a maximum of +1 of the number the captain gave them, so in this example a maximum of 4 words.

They pick a word and wait for the captain to confirm it as correct or else incorrect.

If they pick a correct word they get the opportunity to pick another, as long as it would not exceed their maximum allowed picks, or else they can pass.

If they pick an incorrect word their turn end immediately. Incorrect words may be either words belonging to the opposing team, in which case that word is found by the opposition and you've helped them out significantly, or they may be neutral words belonging to neither team. Either way the turn ends.

One word of the 25 is 'the assassin'. Any team who picks the assassin immediately forfeits and loses the game.

Example:

Given the clue "Skyscraper 3", the blue team sees the word WINDOW and pick it, figuring that skyscrapers have windows. WINDOW in fact belongs to the red team though, and so it's announced as incorrect and is covered with a red counter, it's now found by the red team. Had WINDOW been the Assassin word the game would have ended immediately and red declared the winners — "Skyscraper" in this case would have been a very poor clue.

First team to find all their words wins.

Captain are allowed to give their clues, but other than that they remain silent other than to report correct or incorrect picks. A lot can be given away if they start responding to occurrences with things like "So close" or "you're thinking about it wrong" for example. They give their clues and nothing else.

Words for each team chosen using this...https://www.random.org/sequences/

Game 1 Roster
    Jayop - Red Captian
    Partyjungle - Blue Captain

Comments

I'm very busy with work. I'm in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

:pac:

And as the first to sign up you're a team captain.

Here's a sample board that we can use for the first game when it starts.

camerazoom-20150809204049192.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

Procrastinating. In.

Wayhay. You're on my team Sullivlo. If we get one more we can start the first game and if others want to play they can join in and we'll assign them to a team.

• Advertisement

Here's the rules as to what clues are allowed. It's a bit word heavy and you don't need to read unless you're the captain.

c2bd4d3499e7778f355faaaef4ff460e.jpg
    15639fe3188e1c6ce6acaded64bb6369.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Don't really understand the rules, but will give it a shot and learn as I go. If it starts in the next 9 mins though :)

Wayhayyyy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,577 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

OMG I love this game. Count me in for whenever you're playing!

• Advertisement

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    OMG I love this game. Count me in for whenever you're playing!

You can join in now. Join the blue team so you're free to have a guess at the last clue.

Mols, here's the game thread.

Wait is this a fast game coz I'm in work so can't be playing right now. Just popped in to see the lynch results.

Also not sure how this game works with more than one teammate. You can't really confer unless you put GUESS before any official guess.

Ah it's just a bit of fun. If you're confident have a guess, if you want to chat to QB about it we'll wait.

There's no rush.

It'll have to wait till I'm home from work. I'll get on it then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

That looks fun!

sKeith wrote: »
    That looks fun!

Minimum effort required which helps.

Game 2 going to start soon. There's a couple of places if anyone is interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

The next game with a free slot, Id love to join in.

• Advertisement

beakerjoe wrote: »
    The next game with a free slot, Id love to join in.

Just post that you want to join in the game 4 thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Oh Its that easy, sweet Jayop

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Choose wisely which team you'll join though!!!

General rule of thumb is to join red if the numbers will be uneven as they have an extra word.

Advertisement