Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor prepay mobile broadband - 50GB for €30, 180 day pass

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

If you have an existing meteor payg account - can you switch over to one of these data plans?
    You can get a payg broadband SIM in store.
    Note that there are no calls in/out on a broadband SIM so there's not much point moving your number (probably can't port a number to a data SIM anyway). If you want to use it in a handset then it's best to use a dual SIM phone with a separate SIM for calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭__..__

I'm abroad now. The data sim is in my phone. It only works with apn set to broadband.mymeteor.ie.
    But tethering it doesn't work.
    Tethering does work in Ireland though with data.mymeteor.ie
    Pain in the behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Vwsham

__..__ wrote: »
    I'm abroad now. The data sim is in my phone. It only works with apn set to broadband.mymeteor.ie.
    Pain in the behind.

Have a look here, there may be something relevant to your situation. It’s a handy link, especially if you have just unlocked your modem/dongle.

https://editorsean.com/articles/irish-mobile-broadband-sim-card-apn-settings/

Vwsham wrote: »
    Have a look here, there may be something relevant to your situation. It’s a handy link, especially if you have just unlocked your modem/dongle.

https://editorsean.com/articles/irish-mobile-broadband-sim-card-apn-settings/

Thanks for that. Not a single though. It's my phone I'm trying to use as a hotspot. I think they probably can detect it's in a phone or something

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭grange mac

Apologies if this is incorrect place to ask but would the €30 for 50gb data work with a motion camera which will send an mms message to my mobile?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭editorsean

So far I have not tried tethering abroad with this SIM in my dual SIM phone.

What I can confirm is that tethering works fine for me with the 'broadband' APN, at least to my Amazon Kindle Fire. The next time I'm in Northern Ireland or the UK, I will try tethering again with it.

The following shows the chosen APN with my OnePlus 2. I have this SIM in slot #2 and had it set as default for data when I was tethering:

uFQoCwL.png

The following is the full configuration for this APN on my phone to compare with. This phone shows 'Not set' for an empty field.
    • Name: Broadband
    • APN: broadband.mymeteor.ie
    • Proxy: Not set
    • Port: Not set
    • Username: Not set
    • Password: Not set
    • Server: Not set
    • MMSC: Not set
    • MMS proxy: Not set
    • MMS port: Not set
    • MCC: 272
    • MNC: 03
    • Authentication type: Not set
    • APN type: Not set
    • APN Protocol: IPv4
    • APN roaming protocol: IPv4
    • Bearer: Unspecified
    • MVNO type: None
    • MVNO value: Not set
    • APN PPP phone number: Not set

Just to rule out a DNS issue, try pinging from the device such as to 8.8.8.8. If that gives a ping response, try setting the DNS to Google's DNS, i.e. 8.8.8.8 (primary) and 8.8.4.4 (secondary) on your device.
    grange mac wrote: »
    Apologies if this is incorrect place to ask but would the €30 for 50gb data work with a motion camera which will send an mms message to my mobile?
    If MMS works, I suspect that they will charge the same as sending an MMS from a prepay phone SIM, i.e. 30c per picture message.

That's exact same settings as mine. Tethering works I Ireland but not in UK for me. I'm home now and it's tethering again using the phone .

APNs that work on the broadband SIM:
    data.eir.ie
    data.mymeteor.ie
    broadband.eir.ie
    broadband.mymeteor.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Tried to get this in store over the weekend but they kept saying it was a bill pay 6 month rolling contract and not available payg!

Saint_Mel wrote: »
    Tried to get this in store over the weekend but they kept saying it was a bill pay 6 month rolling contract and not available payg!

I was trying to get a second one and several shops I went I to made it so hard I just gave up.
    The one I have at the moment I got from meteor.
    Won't be too long til the 180 days are up.

• Advertisement

Has anyone tried Carphone Warehouse to see if they have the PAYG broadband SIM.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭sapphade

I got an eir broadband sim in eir store in Liffey valley last week . Told him I wanted the pass . He gave me the 30 credit I brought it home put sim in to my spare android . I topped up the phone with the credit then texted 180 day to 50104 . All went through ok .

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭axe2grind

Got one in Wicklow Eir store last week. No problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,878 ✭✭✭JDxtra

When I check my pass online, it says "Number active: 1". Does that mean it could be possible to add two pre-pay numbers to the same pass?

When I check my pass online, it says "Number active: 1". Does that mean it could be possible to add two pre-pay numbers to the same pass?
    Doubt it, the pass is called an "add-on" and it means number of active addons rather than quantity of broadband (phone) numbers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭la ultima guagua

__..__ wrote: »
    Pain in the behind.

Three.co.uk offer a similar data only SIM. It behaves in the same sort of way ( can use it in a phone for data & tether to it when in UK but not when outside of UK )

If you put SIM in a MiFi 'twill probably be grand for use in all of EU. ( just as the Three SIM is )

I'm looking for B&M shop that sells unlocked MiFi s around Dublin. - Suggestions ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

Three.co.uk offer a similar data only SIM. It behaves in the same sort of way ( can use it in a phone for data & tether to it when in UK but not when outside of UK )

I have a 3uk sim, how do I monitor how much data I use, is it possible to register on UK site, I seem to have difficulty doing this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭la ultima guagua

august12 wrote: »
    I have a 3uk sim, how do I monitor how much data I use, is it possible to register on UK site, I seem to have difficulty doing this?

IIRC I just put the SIM in a MiFi and using the connectivity thus provided I went to Three.co.uk to ( I guess ) something like 'register'

The whole process took some time but seemed very smart.

Sorry to be vague - it was sometime ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭PeterDuggan

Just started using one of these Eir 50Gb/180 day broadband sims and have two questions please.

1) Speeds seem very poor. Download 0.39 Mbps, Upload 0.1 Mbps. Also monitoring download progress it looks as though it's varying most of the time. Signal strength also varies from no bars to 3 bars, and from 3G to H+. I'm in Dublin btw and tethering. My setings are close to editorsean's recommendations above but the APN is data.myeirmobile.ie.

2) Has anybody tried making or receiving calls from these sims? It looks from the MyEir app as though webtexts are available and I've received a text sent to the number. Just curious.

Thanks for the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭editorsean

When I last used the Eir mobile network, it had a rather annoying quirk where it would intermittently connect with a maximum speed of about 320Kbps. This usually happens when it connects in GSM mode and hands over to 3G. When this quirk occurs, a 4G capable device has the tendency to get stuck in 3G mode on Eir also even with strong 4G coverage.

Try restarting your data device. If you are using a phone, you can toggle airplane mode on/off. I had this issue with both Eir mobile broadband and phone SIMs. I switched my mobile to Vodafone last year as the issue was ongoing for about a year. I haven't used the Eir mobile broadband since last year either as the Three network improved a lot in our area, so am not sure whether Eir fixed this issue.

If your device is 4G capable, try setting the APN to broadband.myeirmobile.ie or broadband.mymeteor.ie. I'm not sure if the broadband SIM will connect in 4G mode with the data.myeirmobile.ie APN.

The Eir prepay broadband SIM only supports data and text messages. The SIM will not work for voice calls, however you can use a VoIP service such as Goldfish or Freespeech over the data connection. With most newer Android phones, you can configure the phone to make/receive calls over VoIP, however, there can be a noticeable delay when calling over a 3G (H+) connection.

• Advertisement

Thanks Editorsean. I changed the APN as suggested and speeds improved to ~1.6Mbps d/l, ~1Mbps u/l but still far lower than they should be I presume. I also turned on data roaming hoping it would pick a faster mast but I still never see 4G on the signal strength.

Did you put the phone in airplane mode for a minute between changes to APN?

What phone are you using? (Assuming SIM is in a phone)

Ten Pin wrote: »
    Did you put the phone in airplane mode for a minute between changes to APN?

Thanks Ten Pin.

Yes I did.

The reason I asked about the phone is to check that it has 4G 800MHz band compatibility, or maybe the closest mast doesn't have 4G yet (possible if it's rural).

Is it only connecting as 3G in all locations?

Sorry Ten Pin. It has LTE bands 1(2100), 3(1800), 7(2600) - not 800 but I think Eir use 1800 as well afaik?

Due to the recent weather I haven't been able to try it in other areas yet.

Yes they use 1800, however 800 is used for rural areas. Generally, for an individual location, it will be either 1800 or 800 but not both. 800 signals have better long range coverage while 1800 gives better coverage in built up areas.
    For 3G they use 900 rural and 2100 urban. A phone without 4G 800 will most likely still have 3G 900 & 2100.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭ei9go

Amazon have a 3 UK 24 GB sim thats last for 24 months or until you use the data.

Previously used the 12gb 12 months one and works virtually anywhere.

My three irl mifi accepts the UK sims.

Ten Pin wrote: »
    Yes they use 1800, however 800 is used for rural areas. Generally, for an individual location, it will be either 1800 or 800 but not both.

Asked Eir who said they're using both frequencies at my location and have good coverage so couldn't understand why I'm not getting 4G. They suggested bringing it into a shop to let them look at it. Not holding my breath...

Other things to check...

- "Preferred network type" setting in the phone
    - Put SIM in another phone or router to check
    - Check signal in another location

• Advertisement

Thanks.
    - What would you recommend for "Preferred network type"?
    - I don't have another device to try the sim in at the moment
    - I have checked other locations and didn't get 4G anywhere.

Advertisement