Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches ***Please NO QUOTING PHOTOS***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Cell1010

I totally get the point and we will see a correction, that's for sure but I can't see that vintage watches lose their value like stamps, tulip bulbs etc. The most people that bought together a collection over the years don't need to sell their watches to fund anything else. So they will most likely not sell when losing out 50% of their initial investment. This will keep the supply tight and the prices up. Anyhow, I'm no clairvoyant and time will tell...

I always bought watches that I liked in the first place and invested some time to do my homework. Of course I hope that they at least keep their value but anyway I have something that I enjoy and keeps me busy.

Thanks for the link. Will order one for my 40s Heuer chrono.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Some people are investing in some truly ugly watches. Good luck to them.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Cell1010 wrote: »
    I totally get the point and we will see a correction, that's for sure but I can't see that vintage watches lose their value like stamps, tulip bulbs etc. The most people that bought together a collection over the years don't need to sell their watches to fund anything else. So they will most likely not sell when losing out 50% of their initial investment. This will keep the supply tight and the prices up. Anyhow, I'm no clairvoyant and time will tell...
    Folks in the hobby for years before it blew up with new folks coming in(circa 2011-present) won't lose alright. They got their watches at much lower prices. Even in my collection of oddballs, some of which go back to the eighties and nineties, There would be none I'd not get at least double what they cost me(and in a few cases many times more). If I was to try and reassemble the same collection today, I'd need much deeper pockets and would lose more if the market reset. EG I got my Heuer Bund for a grand and not that long ago. Now they're running 3-4 grand. Cheap for a "iconic" Heuer these days mind you(for good reason. Lots of dubious ones about).

Some niches stayed remarkably stable over time though. Early Trench watches were one such, as were early LED digitals. Tiny niche collector bases that never really went mainstream. On the other hand 1970's watches went nuts. There was a time you couldn't give them away, even with say Heuer on the dial. Other niches came and went. EG early Rolex oysters/bubble backs. They seemed to peak in the late 90's, early noughties, but rarely get any attention these days. Only time I made decent cash on selling actually. By mistake. :D
    I always bought watches that I liked in the first place and invested some time to do my homework. Of course I hope that they at least keep their value but anyway I have something that I enjoy and keeps me busy.
    +1 That's the main thing C. It's only those relying on investment, serial flippers, or naive Dink inspired newbies that will take any hit that's coming.
    Thanks for the link. Will order one for my 40s Heuer chrono.
    Ohh I reckon it'll look very nice on one of those. Can't go wrong for a tenner. I was surprised it isn't a wrist hair removal device. Very comfortable in fact. And defo adds to the vintage look as appropriate vintage straps will. Crazy how Bonklip bracelets went up in value(the UK MOD watches issued with them helped). Lord knows how many I actually threw away in the past. Yep, straight into the bin :o

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

beauf wrote: »
    Some people are investing in some truly ugly watches. Good luck to them.
    Hey! I resemble that remark.. :D I'm actually wearing this one today.

421547.jpg

They're "rare" enough these days. Interesting genesis, design and engineering behind it. First "designer" watches of sorts. LIP brought in high end well known non watch designers to shake things up. Expensive at the time too(1975). I love French design myself. Like Italians, on Gitanes and LSD. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

That has me all sorts of conflicted....

It lead me to this...
    https://www.botterweg.com/Tallon_Roger/Lip_Frankrijk/tabid/234/lotid/10626/Lot-10626.aspx?language=en-US

Which got me thinking...
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/leftyimages/3369995718

70's retro is kinda out there...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,635 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Apart from hodinkee another influence (imho) on the collector market might be youtube ppl like TGV. Wibbs reading a bit between the lines here are you selling a few?;) Best advice I've seen is buy what you personally like.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

beauf wrote: »
    That's the designer chap alright. They got a few on board. That's a good example of rising prices. Under 300 quid in 2011. You'd be lucky to get a NOS example today for 1000-1500. Very lucky. Add 500 for dealer prices and Hodinkee hasn't featured them. Yet. Surprising actually as they like French stuff and have showcase LIP before and the chrono, weird as it is would have legs in the market. Hell, even Farrah Fawcett wore one in the 70's*.

6a00e54f9367fb883401901df288e2970b-600wi

So for men of a certain age... :D
    :pac::pac::pac:

blue5000 wrote: »
    Wibbs reading a bit between the lines here are you selling a few?;)
    :) Nope. Or not at the moment. I know of a few very long term collectors that are, or have been thinking about thinning their herd because of the rapidly rising values(and the equally rapidly rising costs of servicing).
    Best advice I've seen is buy what you personally like.
    So much this.

*how very humbling to see my wrist is smaller than hers. :-o They are not a small watch.

Worse yet, I have two of the things. :o

2z847iv.jpg
    The one on the left is the only example found with a silvered outer ring. Slightly different construction too and looks like a prototype.

Though with early quartz I aim to always have a working spare.

And another from the same period(and harder to find).

dn26me.jpg

Same movement(though that has the preproduction one). Another Tallon design IIRC, or maybe Meyer. Even have the original and also Tallon designed box.

I've always had a soft spot for futurism in art, technology and design. That optimistic view of tomorrow. That includes watches seen as "old style" solid traditional now but which were pretty out there when new. EG the first Rolex Subs. Even the Omega Speedmaster couldn't be any more 1960's in case, hands and layout if it tried. The Heuer Monaco is wacky as hell. Very of its time(and funny enough originally designed with architects, not drivers in mind). Traditional for its own sake is nice too, but doesn't usually interest me as much. Plus the yearning for traditional almost always shows up in a culture when said culture is in a state of often confusing flux. Futurism shows up when a culture is confident. That's a debate for another day though.

Lol. I think yours are the most conservative I saw, probably why they seem fresher than other lip I've seen. I The vast majority of the watches on this forum are very traditional and conservative.

Oh yeah the LiPs are very interesting. I believe they also exist as black Chronos with colorful pushers. I'm curious to learn more about the collaboration between LiP and Dugena. I haven't seen a double signed watch of these two manufacturers before. Do you have any insight?

Quite similar to these designer LiPs are the Seiko Giugiaros. Very interesting watches as well although I never owned one myself...

• Advertisement

Yeah C, they come as both black Chronos with colorful pushers and plain black pushers. The former get more attention these days.

Going on memory here C; Dugena are a German watch brand(connected to Alpina?) who often bought in other brands from overseas and co labeled them as their own for the German market. LIP was one such brand and they had a long association with Dugena. Particularly in the 60's and 70's with LIP's wackier designs. It was beneficial to both, as LIP then had the huge distribution network of Dugena in Germany.

LIP themselves did similar with co branding in the French market. For example the Blancpain LIP 50 Fathoms(the first BP FF available to the general public IIRC*) and the Breitling LIP chronograph made famous among fellow watch geeks by Raquel Welch.

3c013620280fe3bca2cdebda22c781a9--avi-welsh.jpg
    Oh oh, it's got contrasting colour sub dials, Hodinkee will call it a Newman. Me, I'd be calling it a "Raquel". :)

LIP were an interesting company. I've seen them described as "the Ford of France" in watch terms. Solid and dependable and good value watches for the "common man" and woman. They very rarely went high end and often went low, but also innovated in a few areas. The aforementioned bring in outside notable designers to think out of the box, quirky watches like those that had a timer for parking meters and they really took up the mantle of the early battery powered movements and improved on what Hamilton in the US had been doing with their own in house movements.

The now most well known of which was the LIP R184 that ended up in the first "electronic" Diver's watch, the LIP Nautic-Ski. Installed in the two crown EpSA Super-Compressor case as used by JLC, IWC and Longines(the LLD is a modern take on their original) among others at the time. Here's my second series example from circa 1969.

72vvnp.jpg

Mine still passes the original depth rating with ease. As used by French sailing legends like Eric Taberly and a fave with the Jacques Cousteau team(and by far the cheapest watch with that association). Odd factoid: it was called Nautic-Ski, because skiing was a favourite pastime of one of the owners of lip daughters and skiing is quite a "wet" sport and her watches regularly got waterlogged and damaged.

They also developed their own in house quartz movement at a time when the company was in a parlous financial state and quartz technology was still cutting edge and very expensive to design and make.

They also have a very interesting social history aspect too. They were like Guinness in Ireland in that they had an extensive social plan for employees. A second tier social welfare system. Things then got interesting in the 70's with a famous in France strike and lockout at the plant.

*an uncle of mine bought a LIP BP Fifty Fathoms back in the late 60's early 70's while on holiday in Spain. He was/is mad for the oul swimming and being a lazy bastid like myself(t'is genetic :-)) he often jumped into pool, lake, sea and river forgetting to take off his watch. With the result that most ended up looking like spirit levels. So while on said holiday and after buggering up yet another watch, the aunt suggested he buy a "divers watch". Sensible woman and the brains of the operation that she was. Anyway they found some local divers shop and he looked at a few. He remembered thinking they were all too big and daft looking. He did remember trying on a Rolex, but thought it too bulky and obvious(and recalled it wasn't the dearest), but settled on the BP, because it was smaller and less obvious. He still wears it to this day. On a crappy spidel expanding bracelet. Yep. I suggested he leave it to me in the will, but before I told him what it was worth, because I figured best to sign it over now, before the shock would render his will all the more current. :-) He was flabbergasted. "this yoke?. Though it is a great old timekeeper" His words. Never been serviced either.

Wibbs, you never fail to surprise and impress. Your knowledge is very extensive about all these old manufacturers. LiP was really innovative at the times although my understanding was that they basically bought together from other manufacturers and assembled watches from that stock. Probably in the late days of the company when it already went downhill.

How could I forget the collaboration between Breitling and LiP. The double signed 806s and 765s. And then with their own signature only...

The story about your uncle is deadly. Rocking it still after all these years. The FF is one hell of a watch. I'd love to give it a home in my collection but it surely is in good hands in the wibbs family;-)

By the way here is my old heuer chrono from the 40s with the narrow shield. It has a two tone dial and screw back all steel case which is unusual for the times. I think the bonklip will suit it well. At the moment it's hanging on a riveted oyster bracelet.

35712726576_fc0e5f9e95_z.jpg

That's a Very nice Heuer C. I'd have that over any of their 60/70's models TBH. I reckon the strap will work well on it.
    LiP was really innovative at the times although my understanding was that they basically bought together from other manufacturers and assembled watches from that stock.
    For the most part throughout their history LIP designed and built their own movements, only looking outside(Valjoux) for their chronographs. Also mostly produced their own cases and dials too. They even helped restart the Soviet watch industry in the 1930's, by selling their movement designs and sending over advisors to help start up production. Later on they got into the electric end of things(though early enough with their first electric clock in the late 30's) and produced a much more reliable electric escapement than others. Then they produced the first French quartz movement, which I'm pretty convinced they also sold the design for to the Russians, as the first Russian movements look far more like the LIP layout than the ESA quartz it is usually claimed the Russians copied. They also got onboard pretty early with LED digitals.

Compared to the Swiss who had to face disastrous currency exchange issues, very cool, but very expensive Swiss quartz movements and a total lack of quartz digitals which were to take over the market*, LIP should have been in a much better position to weather the storm, having had a longer time with their foot in the emerging market. It was industrial unrest and bad company decisions that ultimately doomed them. There have been a few who tried to revive the LIP brand, but all faded away in short order.

*for me the quartz crisis didn't decimate the Swiss industry. They were hung ho for the tech from the start(though they don't mention that in advertising these days). It was the digital watch that really did them in. And they knew it. Even Rolex prototyped a digital of their own to try to get on board. Add in their high prices and they were doomed. And what saved them and created the fashion for high priced "old tech" Swiss mechanical watches? A cheap plastic quartz, the Swatch. Quartz was their nemesis and saviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭Ionised

Not a watch as such...

Just received this Junghans Ato-Mat. I think it is a lovely bit of ?70's design (only guessing at 70's due to the movement).

Its in great condition and appears to be working just fine. Super mechanical movement with a ear-pleasingly loud tick.

34944843393_f7a8883af1_b.jpg

34944844433_267724a780_b.jpg

Okay that's really far back in terms of watch history but LiP obviously played their part. And they played it well, when we see all their innovative and funky designs.

As for the Heuers, there are definitely some 60/70 models that i prefer over theses early ones. The smell of gasoline and burned rubber that comes to my mind, when I see the old pictures of Siffert, Rindt, Chapman etc. wearing these Chronos in action is very special for me...

But it's unfortunately an expensive reminder of the days long gone.

21111835298_59bd7278d9_z.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭Ionised

I always had a hankering for a Seiko Cocktail Time, and the release of the updated versions prompted me to do something about it.

This arrived this morning...
    35705962791_03cac0d403_b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

2dahbp1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭dakar

After lots of lurking quietly here, I finally bit the bullet and upgraded from the Garmin or Swatch that I normally wear. First Automatic, first (non-Swatch) Swiss watch, first step on what will probably be a slippery slope...

This ticked all the boxes I was looking for: well regarded, fairly robust movement, reasonably simple design, right size, decent price (Massdrop). All in all, I'm very happy :)

422211.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Roycropper63

Dakar. Lovely clear face on that.,...good luck with it...

Dakar. Lovely clear face on that.,...good luck with it...
    +1 Very "vintage" vibe to that dial. And very clear. Cool finish on the case/bracelet too. Niiiice.

I'm also really digging jimmynokia's well, Nokia dial. Love that subdial.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I really don't understand why they rebranded. Withings had built quite a following in the field of "health" devices. Changing to Nokia isn't bringing them any extra cache in the sector. I'd argue that the name will actually hurt them in wareables. Withings was unburdened from any real associations, whereas Nokia will be remembered by some in certain markets as that brand that use to make budget phones. The typeface was always a weakness for the activite, but it's far better than Nokia.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭ahlookit

dakar wrote: »
    After lots of lurking quietly here, I finally bit the bullet and upgraded from the Garmin or Swatch that I normally wear. First Automatic, first (non-Swatch) Swiss watch, first step on what will probably be a slippery slope...

This ticked all the boxes I was looking for well regarded fairly robust movement, reasonably simple design, right size, decent price (Massdrop). All in all, I'm very happy :)

Congrats, lovely watch.

Did you get hit by customs buying from Massdrop? I've been very tempted by some of the Glycine ones there recently, but the prospect of a hefty customs bill has scared me off!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭dakar

ahlookit wrote: »
    Congrats, lovely watch.

Did you get hit by customs buying from Massdrop? I've been very tempted by some of the Glycine ones there recently, but the prospect of a hefty customs bill has scared me off!

Thanks. I did, unfortunately, but I kind of knew it was coming judging from previous discussions about buying from them.

I paid $277 (€256) including shipping and got stung for €64 in customs/VAT/An Post charges so €320 all in for a nice, well made watch with a decent ETA movement, which I'm happy enough with.

I'd have been even happier with €256 mind you, but such is life! I'd say do the sums and if you're happy with the total price, go for it and in the unlikely event it slips through unnoticed, that's a bonus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

By the way here is my old heuer chrono from the 40s with the narrow shield. It has a two tone dial and screw back all steel case which is unusual for the times. I think the bonklip will suit it well. At the moment it's hanging on a riveted oyster bracelet.

That watch pretty much ticks all the boxes for me. A wonderful looking thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Darwin

Daily beater, really wanted something suitable for swimming in and not to have to worry about battery changes:
    20170713_132111_1.jpg
    Got this Oris Aquis last November from amazon.com, worked out cheaper with import duty paid than from anywhere in the EU (may not be the case now though!)
    20170713_132150_1.jpg
    Liked the Aquis so much, I decided to go for a limited edition (Great Barrier Reef II). It has a nice blue sunburst dial, that sometimes looks purple depending on how the light catches it. It came on black rubber, but I since bought a yellow strap which brightens it up a bit and matches the yellow finishing on the dial. It's bit of a brute at 46mm, but the lugs curve down so fitting a smaller wrist like mine just about works:
    20170713_132422.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭topcatcbr

Darwin wrote: »
    Daily beater, really wanted something suitable for swimming in and not to have to worry about battery changes:
    *No quoting pics as per thread title.*

Love that last Oris. The day feature is really well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,631 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Wife just surprised me with a Steinhart B-Uhr for my Birthday!

It's a thing of beauty. First time I've seen a Steinhart in the flesh, the finish and level of detail is amazing.

bqrJWgS.jpg

The Laco has the history, but other than that it really doesn't come close.

KCh8a4R.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,246 ✭✭✭emo72

Beautiful pilots watch. Fair play to your missus for getting it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,907 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Had been looking for one of these again for a while

delighted with this

9fqzyPO.jpg

GDA6BOS.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭rwbug

Won't ever afford a Blancpain Fifty Fathoms so this will have to do. My first Borealis and must admit I am very impressed by it. It came on a canvas strap but the rubber strap they included is extremely nice - they sell the rubber straps separately and I would recommend them. Lume is very good too.

Sk7SyB0.jpg?1
    ckts6O5.jpg?1

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement