Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Norman surnames

Options
  • 11-05-2017 12:31am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 42

Do Irish people with Norman surnames have one common ancestor?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

Do Irish people with Norman surnames have one common ancestor?

Patrilineally, possibly.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,056 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

We all have one common ancestor, ultimately.

But if people share a surname of Norman origin, does their sharing of that surname indicate that they all have a common ancestor who bore that surname or from whom that surname is derived?

No, not necessarily. "Walsh" is a Norman surname, and anyone with that name is likely to be descended from some person who came over with the Normans from Wales - but not necessarily the same person. The Norman surname "Burke" likely point to an ancestor from Burgh, in Suffolk, but not necessarily the same ancestor. People called Deverereaux may have an ancestor from Evreux but, again, not necessarily the same ancestor. The Dillons have a connection to Leon, in Brittany, but not to a specific person from Leon. And so forth.

Even where a surname derives ultimately from a personal name rather than a place name, it still doesn't necessarily mean a common ancestor. Joyce, in the form Judoc, was a personal name, and anyone with the surname Joyce may have an ancestor who was called Judoc, but not necessarily the same ancestor.

Even where a particular family name can be traced to a known individual, not everyone with that name is necessarily related to that individual. People called Butler are probably descended from Theobald Walter, who was the first of the hereditary Chief Butlers of Ireland. But it's not impossible that there were other people in more humble butler positions whose descendants carry the same occupation-related surname. People called Fitzgerald are likely to be descended from Gerald Fitzwalter of Windsor; he was around in the early twelfth century, about the time when the Normans stopped using patronymics (in which each generation carries the given name of the one before it) and switched to surnames (which don't vary from generation to generation), but there would have been other Geralds around in the early twelfth century, and someone called Fitzgerald could be descended from one of those other Geralds.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭RGM

It has been proven through Y-DNA testing that it is extremely common, and is even to be expected, that most people who share a surname are not of the same lineage.

This is about one specific name, but it applies to the general subject: http://themcfaddenproject.com/why-arent-all-mcfaddens-related/

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Many people with a particular surname had an ancestor who got the name from his employer rather than by birth. This is true of Norman names the same as any other.

Another reality is the dreaded NPE; non-paternal event or not parent expected. We all have these whether we like to admit it or not. Estimates have varied between 5 and 10%. In the millions of ancestors we all have since Norman times, that amounts to a lot of NPEs in all of us.

In my own case, I had calculated from traditional genealogical methods, that one of my norman named ancestors had acquired his/my surname by NPE. When DNA proved this, it merely confirmed what I already knew.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 42 new splinter group

My grandmother had an interesting surname. It was Mockler. It's a surname very common around Tipperary and it would appear as though there was only one person or family who bore that name during the Norman invasion. A branch of them also held land up until the boyne until it was confiscated along with their knighthood for siding with King James II.

My grandmother had an interesting surname. It was Mockler. It's a surname very common around Tipperary

Also spelt on some registers : Moclair.

Grenham tells us that it is derived from Mauclerc, meaning bad cleric.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

tabbey wrote: »
    Many people with a particular surname had an ancestor who got the name from his employer rather than by birth. This is true of Norman names the same as any other.

Another reality is the dreaded NPE; non-paternal event or not parent expected. We all have these whether we like to admit it or not. Estimates have varied between 5 and 10%. In the millions of ancestors we all have since Norman times, that amounts to a lot of NPEs in all of us.

In my own case, I had calculated from traditional genealogical methods, that one of my norman named ancestors had acquired his/my surname by NPE. When DNA proved this, it merely confirmed what I already knew.

Someone mentioned Walsh earlier, isn't it something like the 5th most popular name in Ireland? Obviously there wasn't a mass exodus from Wales that re-populated the Wesht, but likely people adopted surnames for prestige reasons or maybe even forced to.
    Supposedly the name Fitzpatrick was adapted from Gilpatrick.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

At this stage it's very unlikely.

Many "Norman" names are actually Gaelic names anglicised, or Normanized, to the nearest-sounding Anglo-Norman name.

Examples are names like Harrington, some of whom would have an English or Anglo Norman ancestor but many of whom would have had Gaelic ancestors called O'Harrag?in which can also be Anglicised as Harrigan or Horgan.

Lacey can come from the Norman de Lacy or from the Gaelic O' L?isigh.

And there are others.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,256 ✭✭✭✭Victor

In the millions of ancestors we all have since Norman times, that amounts to a lot of NPEs in all of us.
    If you are saying we each have millions of ancestors since Norman times, that seems an implausible suggestion, especially when there had been only modest immigration until recent year. While we all have two parents and likely 4 grandparents, 8 great-grandparents, etc., as one goes back, one exceeds the world population very quickly, never mind the population of just Ireland. The reality is that pretty much every Irish person is related if we go back 3 centuries at most. I imagine we each have thousands, not millions of ancestors going back to Norman times.

If we take 25 as an average inter-generational period.

Year Number of ancestors born in a given year
    2017 Child born
    1992 2
    1967 4
    1942 8
    1917 16
    1892 32
    1867 64
    1842 128
    1817 256
    1792 512
    1767 1,024
    1742 2,048
    1717 4,096 <
    At this point, we probably reach the entire population of Ireland
    1692 8,192
    1667 16,384
    1642 32,768
    1617 65,536
    1592 131,072
    1567 262,144
    1542 524,288
    1517 1,048,576
    1492 2,097,152
    1467 4,194,304
    1442 8,388,608
    1417 16,777,216
    1392 33,554,432
    1367 67,108,864
    1342 134,217,728
    1317 268,435,456
    1292 536,870,912
    1267 1,073,741,824
    1242 2,147,483,648
    1217 4,294,967,296
    1192 8,589,934,592
    1167 17,179,869,184
    1142 34,359,738,368
    1117 68,719,476,736
    1092 137,438,953,472
    1067 274,877,906,944

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Thirty years generationally would be more acceptable than 25 (bringing about a very minor change) but the population figure/claim (above) for 1717 is incorrect or I’m misreading something.

Most Norman-named people, like those with Irish surnames, do have a common ancestor but that person due to the intermarriage of related ancestors (as pointed out by Victor) might not necessarily bear the same surname. Most surnames do not date as far back as the Normans, Those that can trace back that far usually belong to the ‘important’ families e.g. the Dukes of Leinster, and their connection is more easily traced because wealth and importance caused land transfers to be recorded as were armorial entitlements. Also, at that social level there was a high degree of intermarriage so ‘gateway’ ancestors are more frequently found, a help to trace back further. However, genealogical records for many of the ‘important’ families registered in both Burke’s ‘peerage’ and his ‘Irish Landed Gentry’ of the 1800’s and later are incorrect as those submissions regularly were supplied by the family itself and often with a view to ‘talking up’ their supposedly ‘noble’ ancestry. Equally O’Hart’s pedigrees book is genealogically inaccurate.

Even among some of the early Norman-Irish, true surnames developed later here than in England. By the end of the twelfth century hereditary surnames were becoming quite common in England, but even there, as late the mid 1450’s surnames were not universal.

The Statutes of Kilkenny (40 Edw. 3) of 1366 were an attempt to stop ‘creeping’ Irishness and required that every Englishman should not follow Irish ‘naming patterns’.

During the reign of Edward IV, a law (1483) was passed to compel “certaine Irish” to adopt surnames - this was designed as a method to track and control them more easily: “They shall take unto them a Surname, ………………..either of some Town, or some Colour, as Black or Brown, or some Art or Science, as Smyth or Carpenter, or some Office, as Cooke or Butler.” (Indicating that not all Butlers were Norman.) It’s a slight oversimplification, but from around 1500 many families ‘fixed’ their then current sept names as a surname e.g. Carthy, O’Connor, etc., and others adopted a trade name, e.g. Taylor, Cooper, etc.

Later (c1600) the poet/government servant Spenser was moaning about the Irish still adhering to the old system and using ‘O’ and ‘Mac’.
    Edward MacLysaght – the main man for Irish surnames – wrote that as late as the seventeenth century there were still numbers of people among “the lower orders” without surnames.

Also, surnames in the wealthy families periodically changed on inheritance – e.g. a wealthy bachelor might leave his fortune to a favoured nephew, a sister’s child, on condition that he change his surname to that of the deceased. An example is a branch of the Nugent (from Norman ‘de Nogent’) family which ‘genetically’ is O’Reilly, as in the early 1800’s Sir Hugh O’Reilly on the death of his maternal uncle John Nugent, assumed by Royal licence the surname of Nugent. If you scan a recent Act HERE (a ‘tidying up’ exercise revoking many old orders) you will see it and many other licences allowing use of a different name and Arms – e.g. a 1812 Licence authorising William Evans from County Carlow to take and bear the name and arms of FitzHenry, and a Licence authorising Francis Mandeville, to take and use the name and arms of Power. (All except Evans being Norman names.)

Genealogically, where it gets confusing is when Irish people adopted the English version of the name e.g. MacGabhann became ‘Smith’ or the reverse, where an Englishman named Smith changed his name to Magowan. Some of the ‘Judge’ surname are actually MacBrehon; Clarkes can be Irish (O’Cleirigh) or English (Clark), and an old Irish name, O’Glaisir has been anglicised to Glazier, incorrectly suggesting an ‘occupational’ name. McWilliams is really Burke which was de Burgo. Also, there was no standardization as names evolved or were changed, eg. O’Murchoe to Morrow, Morrogh (or McMorrough) and Murphy; Ó hEachighearna to O’Hern / Ahearne / Ahearn / Ahern / Aherne / Hearn + variants.
    Lamont can be a Huguenot surname but more usually in Ireland and Scotland it is derived from a junior branch of the O’Neill clan, from one Anrothan who settled in what is now Argyle. The families of McEwan, MacNeil, McLaughlan claim the same descent.

The list is endless…….As Y-DNA projects expand their databases there will be more clarity.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,256 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Thirty years generationally would be more acceptable than 25 (bringing about a very minor change) but the population figure/claim (above) for 1717 is incorrect or I’m misreading something.

Person A has 4,096 ancestors of that generation and Person B has 4,096 ancestors of that generation and 4,096 x 4,096 = 16,777,216, one see that one runs out of unique ancestors. At some point, especially in a insular / peninsular / rural area one runs out of people one isn't related to.

Victor wrote: »
    Person A has 4,096 ancestors of that generation and Person B has 4,096 ancestors of that generation and 4,096 x 4,096 = 16,777,216, one see that one runs out of unique ancestors. At some point, especially in a insular / peninsular / rural area one runs out of people one isn't related to.
    That commonality of ancestors exists always has been recognised, with a higher incidence particularly in rural areas where geographic mobility was limited and among the ‘higher social orders’ where social mobility was limited. Church marriage registers are full of ‘consang.3 grado’ or similar.

But why multiply? With 4,096 Z x grandparents and herself with the same, our child would have 8,192 (Z-1) x grandparents. Similarly with 16 gg grandparents and my wife the same, our child would have 32 (16 + 16 of the same, not 16 x16. All drawn for the available population, but not a basis for its calculation. The number of ancestors is an integral part of a population, linked to it by marital selection availability and ancestral relationship, and to that extent predicated on the total population number, but not defining it. FWIW a couple of decades after your date (1717) the population of Ireland is generally accepted at 2.5 million, after the huge wipe-out in the 1600-1700 period..

The number of common ancestors also is influenced by location, where for example an Irish native married with an outsider e.g. a Famine emigrant to the US marrying an ‘American’ who possibly had Scandinavian roots; another example would be an Irish native marrying a ‘foreigner’ in any of the several Plantations.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Cousin marriage of course helps to massively cut down the number of ancestors at a specific ancestral cohort. Even in case of where the level of marriage is only at 5-6h cousin. In case of Ireland we have higher "runs of homozygosity" compared to other European populations (the next highest been among swedes). This is due to fact that high levels of consanguinity in marriages continued quite a bit later in Ireland (really to the 17th century) and also is byproduct of smaller effective population size (par for the course for an island population).

When it comes back to the original question about Norman surnames. Well surnames are patrilineally inherited by and large, so theoretically all men carrying a common surname could potentially descend from the first man to carry that surname. This of course ignores the fact that you have NPE's, adoption, name changes. Let alone the fact that the same surname might occur multiple times each descended from a distinct first carrier. Of course with surnames based on trades or for example "Walsh" or "English" that's less of case as these are more occupational/ethnonym based surnames and probably have dozens of independent occurrences.

In some cases we do see large clusters in a specific surname, I can think of for example from memory the cases of surname Burke and Fitzgerald, where you can see large clusters of men who group together around a common genetic signature (to be clear it's separate cluster for both names)

The last point is most commonly seen in Irish language surnames where given that they are based on personal names of putative ancestor you can get situation of multiple independent occurrence. Murphy is very good example of this as the personal name Murchadh was popular right up to the 17th century. On the other side of spectrum we know that the name McManus only has two distinct genealogical origins in Gaelic Ireland, unsurprisingly today when it comes to Y-DNA testing we can see both of these clusters stand out and making up bulk of McManus men tested.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Free-2-Flow

I believe my Surname Russell to be Norman, Originally Rousell

I believe my Surname Russell to be Norman, Originally Rousell

Here's what Woulfe wrote in his 1923 book:
    RUISÉIL—XII—Rushell, Rosel, Rossell, Russell; Norman 'russel,' i.e., red-haired, diminutive of 'rous.' This surname came into Ireland at the time of the Anglo-Norman invasion and soon became very widespread, being specially common in Dublin, Meath, Westmeath, Limerick, Cork, Waterford, Louth and Down. The Russells of Co. Down came over with Sir John de Courcy. They held extensive property down to the confiscations of the 17th century. The late Lord Russell of Killowen, Lord Chief Justice of England, belonged to this ancient and illustrious family.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭bobbyss

My grandmother had an interesting surname. It was Mockler. It's a surname very common around Tipperary and it would appear as though there was only one person or family who bore that name during the Norman invasion. A branch of them also held land up until the boyne until it was confiscated along with their knighthood for siding with King James II.

Just as a matter of interest I think there was a Mockler on board Titanic. Just watching interview with a man called Kikgannon whose uncle was lost and there was a mention of a Mockler.

Now that's an interesting surname. Of the 91 households carrying surname (or variant) in Griffith Survey a total of 55 were in Tipperary:

https://www.johngrenham.com/findasurname.php?surname=mockler&search_type=variants

What's also interesting is that the local pronounciation is in the French manner (Mow-cler). There was a sufficient number of them to warrant a placename Mocklerstown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

There is a GAA club there according to Google.

• Advertisement

dubhthach wrote: »
    Here's what Woulfe wrote in his 1923 book:
    RUISÉIL—XII—Rushell, Rosel, Rossell, Russell; Norman 'russel,' i.e., red-haired, diminutive of 'rous.' ...............The late Lord Russell of Killowen, Lord Chief Justice of England, belonged to this ancient and illustrious family.
    All very well Mr. Woulfe, but, under the curled horsehair, was he a ginge?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭paul71

Anybody ever come across Falcon
    I found the name 5 generations back in our family but know nothing about it other then they were in East Meath
    Is it possible it became Faulkner

paul71 wrote: »
    Anybody ever come across Falcon
    I found the name 5 generations back in our family but know nothing about it other then they were in East Meath
    Is it possible it became Faulkner

Falconer is / was quite common, it might have been carelessly written , missing the final two letters.

the other spelling is now more common, but I suspect Falconer was the original, an occupational surname.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,056 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Faulkner is indeed an occupational surname; it's a Norman name. The modern French for "falcon" is faucon; in Norman French it was faulcon.

"Falcon" as a surname could be a shortening of Falconer/Faulkner, or it could actually be an independent name derived directly from the bird if, e.g., somebody adopted the bird as a heraldic symbol, and was subsequently named for the symbol. Falcone, which means the same thing, is a common surname in Italy.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Free-2-Flow

I've been at my family tree for a while now, back as far as 1693, but only my Surname is Norman

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Also spelt on some registers : Moclair.

Grenham tells us that it is derived from Mauclerc, meaning bad cleric.

Paddy Moclair of Balina was a famous Mayo footballer c 1940/50.

Had a pub in Ballina

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭21Savage

At a guess, how many Irish people are of partial Norman descent? Would you be able to see a pattern between someone from the Fjords in Norway onto Normandy into England and Wales and onto Ireland.

Did Normans mix much? How long had they been in France before they eventually took over England? They weren't in England that long before coming to Ireland so not that much time to really influence the gene pool.

That raises another question, why are the Normans intrinsically linked to the Island of Britain in Irish history. It appears the Normans in Ireland themselves were the same. They saw themselves as Irish Englishmen to distance themselves from the later protestant English. But if I'm right most of their families would have barely been in Britain by the time they would have moved to Ireland so I don't see why their identity was so focused on England? Could it be because French identity was not really solid as may have existed in England which was a more cohesive entity and had more of an identity than France had back then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

It's probably best to think of Normans as an upperclass. From what I understand their armies were made up of all sorts.
    Weren't they just a few generations away from the Danes who got kicked out of England?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

What about the most famous Norman of them all?

• Advertisement

21Savage wrote: »
    At a guess, how many Irish people are of partial Norman descent?

The great majority!

Three of my sixteen great,great grandparents have Norman names.

The normans intermarried, and as was said when I was young, "became more Irish than the Irish themselves"

There may be a few Irish devoid of Norman ancestry, but very few.

Advertisement