Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microwave Ovens

Options
  • 29-09-2016 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭

Do ye stand, looking in at them? Or, like me, do ye actually get ye head out of the way as ye open the door. Avoiding all those head cancer giving microwaves?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Open at 00:01

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Haven't had one in over 10 years. Only time I missed it was when I went to make microwave popcorn...that one time...

• Registered Users Posts: 30,373 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

My telly is on the blink so I have to watch popcorn instead of Emmerdale.

I rarely watch Emerdale but somebody just died!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,771 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Mmmm.. microwave buttered popcorn. Ooh and I think there's a pack in the press. That'll do tonight with some TV so :)

Though to be honest, the Airfryer gets most of the work these days. Think I've used the microwave once since I moved in last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭HS3

I rarely watch Emerdale but somebody just died!

So I hear! You didn't see how, did you?

As for op's question, I never look at it. Not for cancer fears, but because I'm usually doing 50 things at the one time and have the microwave near screeching at me 'TAKE THE FLAMING BEANS OUT OF ME!!' :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

OP needs a Fing-Longer, best of both words. Gets his bizarre enjoyment from watching the microwave, minus the cancer.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,373 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

HS3 wrote: »
    So I hear! You didn't see how, did you?

They overdosed on drugs!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

We got to install microwaaaaave ovens, custom kitchen deliverieee-eee-ees
    We got to move these refrigerators, we gotta move these color TVeeeeeee-eeeeee's

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Watching the microwave is the only time I feel like a bomb disposal guy

0:03
    0:02
    0:01
    ..OPEN!!!

Another successful defusing.

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    ..OPEN!!!

Amateur.

OPEN!

PHEW! I could have been killed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭Ted111

Interestingly they named the energy waves that heat the food in it as microwaves after the microwave oven itself.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

what model do you have with such a precision clock :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,107 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Yeah, I like watching the cats explode, big whoop wanna fight about it???

what model do you have with such a precision clock :pac:

It doesn't. I just try to let it go as far into the second as I can because my life is so exciting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭Archeron

Turtyturd wrote: »
    OP needs a Fing-Longer, best of both words. Gets his bizarre enjoyment from watching the microwave, minus the cancer.

Now we all know that things can turn dark when a finglonger gets introduced

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Sham.no2

I put my head up against it, get a nice buzz going for a few hours after.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

Ted111 wrote: »
    Interestingly they named the energy waves that heat the food in it as microwaves after the microwave oven itself.

Dafuq you on about? The waveguide in a "microwave" oven emits waves that are micrometers in size. This is the perfect size for water molecules to absorb the wave energy, which makes them move around more, which creates friction between molecules, which in turn creates heat. These waves are in the microwave spectrum, hence the name.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Dafuq you on about? The waveguide in a "microwave" oven emits waves that are micrometers in size. This is the perfect size for water molecules to absorb the wave energy, which makes them move around more, which creates friction between molecules, which in turn creates heat. These waves are in the microwave spectrum, hence the name.

Thanks, that had me in stitches. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

And as humans are 60% water (the brain and heart are composed of 73% water, and the lungs are about 83% water), it might not be a good idea to hang around G/M Watt mobile broadcast towers which also use the 2.4Ghz spectrum.

Interestingly, in Ruska microwave ovens were banned in 1976 because of their negative health consequences after studies were conducted on their use. The ban was lifted after Perestroika in the early 90's.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Dafuq you on about? The waveguide in a "microwave" oven emits waves that are micrometers in size......

The cavity magnetron gives you yokes with a wavelength about 12cm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Stigura

gctest50 wrote: »
    The cavity magnetron gives you yokes with a wavelength about 12cm

I just want one that can take a dinner plate :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Watching the microwave is the only time I feel like a bomb disposal guy

0:03
    0:02
    ..OPEN!!!

Amateur.

OPEN!

PHEW! I could have been killed.

Amateurs the lot of ye!

I have to cut the right coloured wire to open my Microwave or the stuff is just burnt to a crisp:D
    BThhF.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

I am a microwave clutz. I seem to have an inability to cook or heat anything up properly in it.
    It will be either luke warm, explode or be nuclear hot.

And what is with all the buttons and lights? Surely you only need one knob for heat/power and one for timer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

My wax pot was broken so I put my wax tub into the microwave. Next thing, I look over and the microwave was on fire. I'm a bit nervous using them now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

Winterlong wrote: »
    I am a microwave clutz. I seem to have an inability to cook or heat anything up properly in it.

And what is with all the buttons and lights? Surely you only need one knob for heat/power and one for timer?

When I took an engineering design class, we were supposed to design a better piece of household equipment. Over half the class projects were proposals to make a microwave that heated food more efficiently and evenly. (My project was an improved ladle with silicone edges so you could scrape the last drops out of the pot safely. Cuisinart brought out an identical product eight months later. Oh well, that's better than actually reinventing the wheel.)

Different models are better at "stirring" the microwaves so food heats more evenly. That's why they started putting turntables in them, so essentially the food would be stirred instead of the microwave generation, which wasn't available at the time (I am probably way oversimplifying this).

Back when microwaves were first a thing that everyone in America could buy, when I was a young teenager, people got hung up on the idea that a microwave was an oven. It isn't; it simultaneously steams and fries the food in its own moisture/fat content. That's why food can sometimes come out a bit strange. We were all making our Thanksgiving turkeys in the unnecessarily large machines of that time... something the average household only attempted once; my mother did it twice because she was just like that, lol. When microwaves were a new thing, the engineers had fun adding pointless preprogrammed functionality and useless gadgetry like the rack that allowed you to cook three dishes badly at the same time, the pasta pot that didn't take any less time than doing it on the hob, the rice cooker that was really no more than a pot with a lid, and the bacon cooking rack that inevitably discoloured and broke from having hot fat boiled in it every day. Food tasted funny from being cooked in plastic all the time.

So, yes, to answer your question, a power level setting and a timer pad is all a microwave should need for ordinary heating and defrosting. I do miss the program settings that allowed you to cook on one power setting for a period of time and then another to finish the dish; I used to like to lower the power near the end so there weren't too many overcooked spots. You can do this yourself if you pay attention; I've been using microwaves for nearly 40 years and I've never been able to get anything to turn out the same way twice except literally just boiling water (and there's that really good cake-in-a-mug thing that if I made as much as I wanted to, I'd be the size of a barn instead of the size of half of one, lol).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

Speedwell wrote: »
    When I took an engineering design class, we were supposed to design a better piece of household equipment. Over half the class projects were proposals to make a microwave that heated food more efficiently and evenly. (My project was an improved ladle with silicone edges so you could scrape the last drops out of the pot safely. Cuisinart brought out an identical product eight months later. Oh well, that's better than actually reinventing the wheel.)

Different models are better at "stirring" the microwaves so food heats more evenly. That's why they started putting turntables in them, so essentially the food would be stirred instead of the microwave generation, which wasn't available at the time (I am probably way oversimplifying this).

Back when microwaves were first a thing that everyone in America could buy, when I was a young teenager, people got hung up on the idea that a microwave was an oven. It isn't; it simultaneously steams and fries the food in its own moisture/fat content. That's why food can sometimes come out a bit strange. We were all making our Thanksgiving turkeys in the unnecessarily large machines of that time... something the average household only attempted once; my mother did it twice because she was just like that, lol. When microwaves were a new thing, the engineers had fun adding pointless preprogrammed functionality and useless gadgetry like the rack that allowed you to cook three dishes badly at the same time, the pasta pot that didn't take any less time than doing it on the hob, the rice cooker that was really no more than a pot with a lid, and the bacon cooking rack that inevitably discoloured and broke from having hot fat boiled in it every day. Food tasted funny from being cooked in plastic all the time.

So, yes, to answer your question, a power level setting and a timer pad is all a microwave should need for ordinary heating and defrosting. I do miss the program settings that allowed you to cook on one power setting for a period of time and then another to finish the dish; I used to like to lower the power near the end so there weren't too many overcooked spots. You can do this yourself if you pay attention; I've been using microwaves for nearly 40 years and I've never been able to get anything to turn out the same way twice except literally just boiling water (and there's that really good cake-in-a-mug thing that if I made as much as I wanted to, I'd be the size of a barn instead of the size of half of one, lol).

You lost me at "engineering" :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 47 Smokers and Jokers?

Good for beans as long as you don't let them pop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

Steve F wrote: »
    You lost me at "engineering" :pac:

Yeah, I don't think you are quite as lost as the young man who proposed putting an induction hob in the microwave in place of the turntable to help things along. (Spoiler: Induction cooking generally requires a cast iron or steel cooking vessel.)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,318 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Winterlong wrote: »

you mean one of these http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/4007573.htm?

• Advertisement
Advertisement