Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rifle Scope

Options
  • 24-05-2005 4:25pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know where i can get a reasonably priced scope mounted.It doesnt have to be of exceptional quality,its for shooting rabbits etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Not trying to be funny here - but a gunshop maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

i buy mine off ebay the american ebay is cheaper but theres still good stuff on the uk one. Heres the last one i bought

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7151721862&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Citizen_Erased

Go onto ebay.co.uk defo.

I have one here . Its a German "seben".

4-12x56 , european 4 crosshair with and adjustible illuminated reticle-50 sterling

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Go onto ebay.co.uk defo.

I have one here . Its a German "seben".

4-12x56 , european 4 crosshair with and adjustible illuminated reticle-50 sterling

Are you selling it?

buyandsell.ie also have stuff from time to time but the magizine is better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭oldzed

try www.deben.com , scopes with mounts from 18 sterling. I used a tasco 6-24 milldot from them for years as a second scope and it is fine it gave 2 years on an swedish mauser and i had no bothers with it, still have it . plenty of other gear too , great place for weird and wonderful mounts , riserblocks etc

Degsy wrote:
    Are you selling it?

Nah , sorry if it sounded so

They arent hard to find on ebay - its was a shop not a onces off (he sells them direct from the factory in germany so you can post it here cheaply) - so you should be able to pick one up yourself no prob

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Got one on ebay,23 sterling with free mounts.Seems reasonable enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Do you have to get an import licence to purchase those rifle scopes from ebay?And obviously you would need your rifle licence as the scope is considered a part of the rifle. Im thinking of buying a rifle but scopes to buy in the gunshops are expensive, so i would be interested (when i get my rifle) in buying off ebay and save some money.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Scopes probably wouldn't be considered part of the rifle since they're basicly just telescopes Michael - though things like night vision scopes would be, since they're mentioned specifically in legislation.

• Advertisement

Yeah no problem with them at all. Which scope did you buy Degsy?

On the subject of scopes and legislations - are night vision rifle scopes illegal in this country because apparently in other european countries they are?

Oops , you appear to have mentioned it, but can you elaborate ? Does this include non hunting specific devices such as goggles?

One thing to bear in mind is that cheap (€150 or less) scopes have a fairly high failure rate (I'd put it somewhere around 10%). This isn't so much of a problem in gunshops, because the distributors stand over their products well, and pretty much offer no-quibble replacement of faulty items.

When you're buying off ebay, things aren't so straightforward, particularly as a lot of the sellers are in places like Hong kong and have fairly intricate terms and conditions.

I'm planning on buying a scope from ebay shortly, but it'll be a higher grade scope, and I'll be buying from a reputable seller in the US or simialr - probably not from the far east (though I have had very good luck buying simpler items like torches / lasers etc from those sellers). There are fairly good bargains to be had on the mid-range scopes too.

Deben are a very reputable company btw, though likely to be a bit more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

On the subject of scopes and legislations - are night vision rifle scopes illegal in this country because apparently in other european countries they are?
    Oops , you appear to have mentioned it, but can you elaborate ? Does this include non hunting specific devices such as goggles?

No, they're legal here, but they're classed as a component part of a firearm in legislation (I don't have the exact link here at work, but we've mentioned it in the past on the forum, hit the search link to find it), so you do technically need your super to sign off on it. It doesn't apply to NV goggles though, since they don't attach to a rifle. Same story as with sound moderators though - they are catered for in the legislation, but what a sound moderator is is not really properly defined...

So I could buy a pair og NVGs hassle free then. (it is possible to use them down a scope isnt't it? I know that they wont work outside the range of the IRB but I mean using them for low level light intensification)

Many countries have export controls on high-end night vision gear, Gen 3 / Thermal etc. This is all exceedingly expensive in any case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Ammoman

Degsy wrote:
    Does anyone know where i can get a reasonably priced scope mounted.It doesnt have to be of exceptional quality,its for shooting rabbits etc

Have you looked at the NC star range , they are reasonably priced and have a lifetime warranty , they are ideal bunny bashing scopes , and rated up 50 cal
    outdoor hobby stock them and I'm sure that they will fit it for you. their Phone no is 01-6104426 ,youll be surprised at the quality and the price... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Flattop 15

So I could buy a pair og NVGs hassle free then. (it is possible to use them down a scope isnt't it? I know that they wont work outside the range of the IRB but I mean using them for low level light intensification)

They really dont work per se with a daylight scope.Plus unless you have the scope mounted forward like a scout rifle,you wont be able to get your head in with the googles to see properly.They were intended to be used with somthing like a infra red laser sight ,which is illegal here.Or to be used with infra red driving lights on a truck.The other solution is get a NV capable Holosight[Eotech is good] and mount that and use that with the goggles.It is legal and doesnt require registration,as it is two seoerate units.

However make sure if you buy goggles and they are Russian,make sure;
    The batteries are western capable [AA or D or whatever ]not some Russkie weird batteries,which are unavailable here.
    That you can actually SEE somthing in the dark further than 3ft!Some of the quality has literally seen to be belived.
    Also that it is of recent manufacture some of those old equipment NVGs were dangerous and leaked radiation,or had tritium sights.

what do you want NV for anyway , I have used goggles to drive , and found them very awkward to use and not very good , if you want a good set you will pay big bucks . If you are going to be hunting at night even NV scopes are useless on anything smaller than a deer size animal , and it is illegal to shoot deer or any protected animal after dusk . I assume that you are going to hunt foxes . NV gear is useless , it just isnt clear enough....

Get a good 30mm scope and a decent lamp and good foxing. ;)

NV gear is useless , it just isnt clear enough....

Try out current military gen 3 gear and get back to me on that.....

there is only one problem there , I couldnt afford it , i know that the never gear is superb , like anything , technology has moved on , but at a price . I would like to try thermal imaging scopes as well , but that wont happen , unless theres a lotto win in the near future... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I think it takes some of the fun out of it but then again ive never tried it (id probably love it ) but i find a good lamp perfectly adequete and they're only about €25.

I agree with you , I have tried NV gear but i doesnt really work too good on small game . I think that a lamp is the way to go , I use a lightforce and find it excellent , many a fox has fallen in its beam... :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Flattop 15

What youse pays is what youse gets!For an exellent nite scope that is "Bunny capable"[and everything else]be prepared to fork out about £2K STG.The Longbow system is one,it is a 10X[?] scope with a monocular mounted on its eye piece .So it is a better optic with nite vision added to the optics.Most Russian scopes are monouclar types with low magnification and the aiming reticle added in.
    Or 1stGen US nite scopes are somtimes available in Germany for export,but they are heavy brutes.Either way be prepared to open the wallet wide.

I dont want them to hunt at night , I want them to hunt when the light is fading and my kit is heavy enough without a light.

I dont want them to hunt at night , I want them to hunt when the light is fading.

Well then the NV is useless , get yourself a good quality 30mm tube scope with about a 50mm or 56mm front bell that can go as low as 3X or 4X magnification with an illuminated crosshair. you will be amazed what you can see . I have shot deer in near darkness , no need for a light , NV doesnt work very well in fading light it works by amplifying the available light , so if there is too much light all you get is a white glare...

Advertisement