Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Outlet Store - South Great George's Street

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭wattlendaub

I always wonder what the inside looks like when I'm waiting at that bus stop in the picture.

Quick, someone grab a prybar and do some urban exploration for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I moved to dublin in 1997 and it looked like that back then too. Hard to believe it lay idle during the Celtic tiger and again now in such a prime area.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

I always wonder what the inside looks like when I'm waiting at that bus stop in the picture.

Im guessing, sh1t 80s department store.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Im guessing, sh1t 80s department store.

Inside was like a cross between an old school Pennys (similar to the one in Rathfarmham still) and Frawleys. Always a smell of damp even when it was open!

• Such a pity. I love St Great Georges street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I wish they'd atleast remove that unsightly 'outlet store' overhand thing that looks like its going to fall on somebody any day now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,506 ✭✭✭Wheety

Does anyone know if the fire was caused by squatters living there? Or is that likely to be the reason?

If I win Euromillions tomorrow, I'm going to try and buy it and do something cool with it. :cool:

Maybe a huge donut/doughnut shop. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭ollaetta

Wheety wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the fire was caused by squatters living there? Or is that likely to be the reason?

There's an interesting story as to how it was burned down. It was a very fine Dockrells Hardware Shop and it was still in business when the fire happened in, I'm guessing, the early 80s or so.

It was allegedly arson and older posters may remember the name of a fairly outspoken public figure who was linked to it. Never proven I think so I can't post a name.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

ollaetta wrote: »
    There's an interesting story as to how it was burned down. It was a very fine Dockrells Hardware Shop and it was still in business when the fire happened in, I'm guessing, the early 80s or so.

It was allegedly arson and older posters may remember the name of a fairly outspoken public figure who was linked to it. Never proven I think so I can't post a name.

Mannix Flynn was convicted for it although he protests his innocence

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

L1011 wrote: »

Delighted, can't stand him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,380 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

If someone takes it on the council debate to discuss any planning permission will be textbook ironic if Mannix still about!

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Passed it last night at 7pm - such a waste of prime plot of land. Genuinely surprised it hasn't been snapped up for hotel use.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

sugarman wrote: »
    It was a hardware shop for years, only changed to the outlet store in recent years.. and by recent I actually mean 15-20 years ago :p

As far as I remember, your man that owned that business was the same lad that had the soccer shop down Talbot St and Cathedral St that closed down in the last few years.

One of the few places you could buy "foreign" jersies in Ireland in the 80s and 90s ...used love looking at all the Italian and Spanish club stuff

Wasn't there a soccer jersey shop on Lower George's Street too in the 90s. Same side as The George. Same deal, very good for getting obscure jerseys and a nice lad that ran it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,150 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

And he was 15 at the time.

Pretty sure it was the same place, moved around quite a bit.

Don't think so. If memory serves me right, the one on Georges St South was run by the same lad from the Soccer Shop on Cathedral St.

Was it in the same spot as Pitt Bros now? Can't for the life of me remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

The Outlet shop, which was the last tenant to my memory was open for about 4 months when i was in college in Aungier St (this is about 10 years ago now). They had portable temporary railings selling off odd size and 3-4 year old sports merchandise. I popped in once to take a look but didnt get anything.

I would imagine it closed around 2008 or 2009; so an awful shame it hasnt been done up. Id imagine someone is sitting on it and speculating the market to sell the space - and thus doesnt want a tenant in there.

If it does get sold on, im sure we will have another trendy overpriced cocktail bar to enjoy, at least on the ground floor.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Don't think so. If memory serves me right, the one on Georges St South was run by the same lad from the Soccer Shop on Cathedral St.

Was it in the same spot as Pitt Bros now? Can't for the life of me remember.

Looks like it (the old soccer shop) might be the Oxfam shop now; old address and Google image

Incidentally, I found this thread about it from when it closed 10 years ago! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

41 – 46 South Great Georges Street, D2

Owners: Grosam Properties Ltd, 39 Northumberland Road, Ballsbridge, Dublin 4

Substantial property development, retail and retaurant experience between the two directors.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,506 ✭✭✭Wheety

Yeah the article I linked in the OP mentions Grosam. But says they bought it in 2015 and planning permission seemed to lapse a few times before then. Jaipur told to vacate the corner unit in 2015 too when the sale wen through.

Wonder when they'll start working on it.

miamee wrote: »

Incidentally, I found this thread about it from when it closed 10 years ago! :D

3rd and 4th post... I haven't gone away :pac:

• Advertisement

Did you happen to nip into your man for closing down sale 2/3 years back on cathedral st? Had a rake of stuff from the stock rooms from the 90s 00s brand new with tags. Was great for a rummage.

Think I was away if memory serves me right - either way, only jerseys I own are Shels tops and very old Ireland tops from when I was a kid. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 10,113 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Soccer Shop was on Aungier Street for a bit too, before moving to George’s St

Bought my first ever goalkeeper jersey there because the jerseys I had to wear for school/club were disgraceful. Ha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

Looks to be some serious gutting going on in this building this week! Hopefully it progresses fast enough.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Yes they have been working away at that since before Christmas, the smell out of the place any time I walked by (round on Stephen's St side) was just that smell of 'old' and damp, I can only imagine what the inside was like.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The discussion previously about the Dockrells fire - I believe this was where they moved after the fire rather than where they were at the time of the fire

The corner of this that was the Indian restaurant and some of the rest at least was a hotel until 1950 at least - the Red Lion Hotel. And it'll now be a Premier Inn.

I took this photo yesterday where some of the old signage has been revealed. It's not much to look at but I was wondering what the red lettering underneath is? It looks like it used to say "Rio" maybe? I have no memory of this building as anything else, we rarely went down that part of town as kids so would be interested to know*.

471893.jpg

* I used to be convinced that Cassidys had been here but I've been told it was the other side of the road so I'm not relying on my very hazy memory!

Yes they have been working away at that since before Christmas, the smell out of the place any time I walked by (round on Stephen's St side) was just that smell of 'old' and damp, I can only imagine what the inside was like.

The smell of damp was even there when the Outlet was open!! :o

* I used to be convinced that Cassidys had been here but I've been told it was the other side of the road so I'm not relying on my very hazy memory!

1986 Cassidys was 52-57, now subsumed by the Dunnes HQ - this is the other side of the road.

This was "Argus Furniture" in '86 which doesn't help with the partial sign. Don't have access to a new Thoms Directory right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭ollaetta

The discussion previously about the Dockrells fire - I believe this was where they moved after the fire rather than where they were at the time of the fire.

No, Dockrells were there for many years, back to the 1800's according to this: Dockrells Architects

Advertisement