Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lets talk about Burgers

Options
  • 18-04-2017 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭

I know this topic has been broached before but with the advent of gourmet burger joints all over the place Im sure posters here might be experimenting and have things to add to the topic. Anyway heres where Im at lately, feel free to add any tips/tricks/recipes of your own.

Buns
    For ages Aldis brioche buns were the only game in town for me. But recently Ive moved onto Tescos own label Giant White Floury Baps (79c for 4).. The size of them means you gotta make a thinner patty but it also means you can get more toppings on without it becoming a tower you cant fit in your mouth.

Sauces
    Im decidedly unadenturous here and have remained with mayo on the bottom bun and Aldis Country Kitchen Relish on the top bun. Would be very keen to hear if anyone has any good burger sauce recipies that really elevate a good burger

Cheese

Again Im still unadventurous here and have been sticking to plain old mature cheddar. Im not a fan of blue cheeses so they are out but I would like to try using Monterrey Jack as it crops up in a lot of recipes. Does anyone know where you can get it in the main supermarkets? I know Aldi has those Monterrey melts but they seem way too small for the job. Was more looking to see where I could get it by the block if anyone knows?

Toppings
    I dont go overboard here and like to keep it simple. Most of the time I just include iceberg lettuce on the bottom and a slice of smoked bacon on top. Recently Ive been getting into the habit of carmelising onions by cooking them on a low heat for 15-20 mins after theye been tossed with some balsamic and brown sugar. Its a bit of extra work but adds a lovely sweetness to the various flavours

The Mix
    I almost always use either Lidls Hereford mince or Aldis Angus mince. Id be really interested to hear from posters who have pushed the boat out further and asked their butcher to mince specific cuts for making burgers. Would be keen to learn which cuts work best if anyone has any pointers?

Into the mix I usually add seasoning, teaspoon each of paprika, chilli and parsley leaf followed by a tablespoon of Worestershire. Then I add a teaspoon per burger of dijon mustard as the binder. I have used eggs & breadcrumbs for this in the past but find they add little to the overall flavour so have settled on always using mustard since. Ive also played around with adding cumin and crumbled black pudding, both are interesting additions worth trying but I dont bother anymore.

Chips
    Went through a phase of making my own and then twice cooking them and then thrice cooking them. Its a hell of a lot of effort so after going back to the humble oven chip and trying several brands I cant find any better than Lidls Chunky Maris Piper chips (black bag in the freezers for 1.69). They are fluffy on the inside and crisp on the outside which is basically what I was always trying to achieve with the thrice cooked methods.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,336 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Here's my go to recipe for burgers http://www.food.com/recipe/the-perfect-burger-92021 (It's quite similar to yours)

I made them a few months ago and they were dry and horrible and someone here suggested that the mince might have had too low a fat content. Last time I made them (two days ago) I used 18% fat and they were delicious but I reckon I could have got away with 15%. I made them with matchstick chips. It takes a bit of time to prep and a good few batches to cook (I just use a wok full of oil) but they stay crispy forever.

A good homemade coleslaw adds all the veg you need as well. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Let ron explain the secret.

Less is more...:pac:

But for me.. 500gm mince . not too lean (10%fat if indoors...>10% if outdoors on the barbie)
    Bread crumbs.
    2-3 sausages mixed to bind ingredients.
    Little bit more fine pepper.
    Pinch of cumin.

Buns... too much bread will give you dry mouth... and necessitate more dressing ... which defeats the flavour of the meat.
    Normal sesame Buns slightly toasted and pressed down.

Try French mustard instead of ketchup.

Lettuce, ...
    Back to Ron
    415059.jpeg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Perfect timing OP! I've just started making my own burgers up out of mince and used this recipe as a base:

http://whiteonricecouple.com/recipes/best-umami-hamburger-recipe/#

The meat mix is:
    2 lbs Ground Beef
    1 1/2 Tablespoons Fish Sauce (for more daring, savory depth, use 2 tablespoons)
    2 cloves Garlic, crushed or fine mince
    1 teaspoon Sugar
    1/2 teaspoon fresh ground Black Pepper

I was only making a single burger at the time to test the recipe out with the 10% fat mince I had to hand. Since the meat was so low in fat I added about 1/2 tsp of microplaned parmesan as a binder. The result was an extremely flavourful burger - the fish sauce, garlic and parmesan did not dominate at all, they simply boosted the 'tastiness' of the meat. I topped with strong cheddar, sliced cornichon pickles, and iceburg lettuce, red onion underneath. Sauces were heinz smooth burger sauce on top, jalapeno relish on bottom bun. Bun was a multigrain bap from Dunnes

'Twas deeelicious!

edit: another really nice cheese is aldi's sliced masdaaam - melts really well and has a lovely sweet nuttiness.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Ooooooh-kay..... do I dare?

My favourite burger is a black bean burger. I usually make them when I have leftover black bean stew from making burritos, as otherwise it's a lot of work for a few burgers.

To make the patties, you'll need:

1 green bell pepper
    1 big onion
    1 stalk of celery
    3 - 4 cloves of garlic

Roughly chop all of the above and throw it in a blender. Blend till you have a smooth paste, and add that to a hot pan with a little oil. Fry until it dries up a little.
    Add:

2l of vegetable stock
    1.5 cups of dried black beans
    2 bay leaves
    2 tsp of mild paprika
    1 tsp of smoky paprika
    1 tsp of cumin

to a large pot (or even better, a slow cooker) with the paste, and slowly simmer until the beans are soft. They should absorb most of the liquid in the process. Season well with salt.

Remove the bay leaves, let it all cool down, add 1 egg and a handful of dried breadcrumbs and use either a masher or your hand to break up some of the beans and mix everything thoroughly.

Form patties and fry of grill.

I adore these with smoked cheese melted on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Whistlejacket

Would be keen to learn which cuts work best if anyone has any pointers?

Rib steak makes a good burger, a nice proportion of fat to meat.
    Then I add a teaspoon per burger of dijon mustard as the binder.

I really like this idea, will be trying it out, thank you :-)
    Chips
    Went through a phase of making my own and then twice cooking them and then thrice cooking them. Its a hell of a lot of effort so after going back to the humble oven chip and trying several brands I cant find any better than Lidls Chunky Maris Piper chips (black bag in the freezers for 1.69). They are fluffy on the inside and crisp on the outside which is basically what I was always trying to achieve with the thrice cooked methods.

I switched to making oven chips, much handier than fiddling about with hot oil/fryers, and they're gorgeous.
    https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2515/chunky-oven-chips

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

^ hey whistlejacket, I was gonna make a funny about your quotes, but decided to be a mature poster, and give you some friendly advice, because who doesn't want to be helpful:)?

Anyway, the reason your quotes messed up so badly, is that you are using the command to close a post only. Ie - [/quote] the "/" before the word quote signals that you're wanting end a quote.

In order to initiate the quote, it needs to start as just
    (no / in it] and you close the quote off with a [/Quote] again.

Getting back to the op, good idea for a thread actually, i predict this one might run and run.

For me, it's usually homemade burgers, and i am not really fussy between pork mince and steak mince.

I usually combine mince with a very, very finely sliced onion, good pinch of salt and pepper, a tspoon of whole grain mustard, a splash of Worcester, and a splash of tomato sauce. Mix well and form into patties about an inch/25mm thick, and fry or grill for 8mins or so each side.

I prefer my burgers grilled, but each to their own.

I will usually serve up with a good quality roll (I like Waterford blaas) with a bit of rocket or lettuce on the bottom bun, cheese on top bun with some diced tomato (because the slices always fall out)

Dressing is dependent on my mood. Sometimes I would go for something with a kick, like Frank's red hot wing sauce, or similar chilli sauce.

Sometimes I want to have the burger to have a salady feel to it , so i will squeeze on some mayo, or salad cream.

Sometimes i want to go all McDonalds with its and add a homemade version of big mac sauce.

I'm really fond of Aldis "Maris Piper chunky chips" atm. I think for the price, and sheer lack of effort needed to achieve a fairly decent chunky chip that's crunchy on the out, and plentiful and fluffy on the in, is hard to beat.

Hopefully I will get some fresh ideas from the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Burgers are the most overrated food stuff going,along with pizza

As I always say to my kids, 'If you have nothing nice to say, say nothing!'

The Gloomster!

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Burgers are the most overrated food stuff going,along with pizza

It's kinda hard to justify that statement considering burgers come in so many shapes and sizes, and in many different forms.

Already in this thread I've just been inspired to try the black bean burger listed above.

When you think of it, a burger is really a patty made from anything at all, from beans, mushroom, veg, nuts to Prime cuts of steak, lamb, pork or poultry (and fish) served with a good salad and nice bread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Rumpy Pumpy

Chuck steak minced and formed into half inch burgers with plenty of salt and white pepper.

Served in a bun that isn't one of those brioche disasters that falls apart when eating. Few slices of onion and a leaf of lettuce if feeling healthy. Cheap melted cheddar cheese. No sauce.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I make my burgers with minced beef - whatever has the highest fat content in the shop I'm in - and salt and pepper.

I use this bun recipe: http://blog.kingarthurflour.com/2011/05/16/countdown-to-summer-beautiful-burger-buns/

They freeze really well.

Topped with cheddar, crispy bacon and a smear of chilli jam and you're onto a winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,065 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Most of the packets of burgers I pick up in shops are 'seasoned' with salt, pepper and something vaguely called 'spice'.

Anyone recommend unseasoned fresh supermarket burgers?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I'm constantly experimenting with my burgers. I find grated ginger gives them a nice zing. A bit of grated courgette keeps them lovely & moist.

For a standard burger my preference would be to top it with a melted Easy Single, then a dollop of finely diced onion, gherkin mixed with some Colman's mustard & tomato ketchup - in a lightly toasted bun. Lettuce & tomato have no place on a Billy Burger.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

If youre not familiar with them have a look at bbq pit boys beer can burgers you will never eat a normal burger again :-) i normally use the aldi big flourey baps with them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 190 ✭✭baldtooyoung

Tesco floury bap lightly toasted.
    Mayonnaise,just a smear on the bottom end of the bap.

nice crunchy iceberg lettuce.lots of.(have to feel someway healthy!haha)

finely sliced Red onion,not diced or fried but lots of.

Top of bap 2slices of cheddar.

2 thick cut rashers,crisp,not burnt.

Now the mince.the leanest mince you can find.I use the whole pack for one burger,I call it-the brain.

A pinch of salt,a decent bit or oregano and a lot of five pepper.it's handsome on any meat!I mash it all together with small squirt of tomato puree until I have the brain.I put olive oil on my hands and rub the brain until it's all covered.into a hot pan 1minute each side and edge,nice brown colour.

Into the oven at 220 for 25-35min.
    It's well-done.don't mind a small bit of pink in the meat.
    Serve with mc Cain rustic oven chips

Enjoy the food coma everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,495 ✭✭✭brevity

Heston on the search for the perfect burger:

https://vimeo.com/28030554

I've seen it before, it's pretty good

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭coupland

The homemade lamb burger is a winner in our housa

2 lbs butchers lamb mince
    Breadcrumbs
    1 egg
    Worcestershire sauce
    Ketchup
    Half a finely diced red onion
    Fresh mint
    Salt and pepper

Combine and leave in fridge for an hour

A shout for the M&S brioche type burger buns

coupland wrote: »
    The homemade lamb burger is a winner in our housa

2 lbs butchers lamb mince
    Breadcrumbs
    1 egg
    Worcestershire sauce
    Ketchup
    Half a finely diced red onion
    Fresh mint
    Salt and pepper

Combine and leave in fridge for an hour

A shout for the M&S brioche type burger buns

That sounds like one I'd like to try. Lamb and fresh mint together = excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭coleslaw

pickels

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

Lately we have being enjoying turkey burgers in our house with sweet potato chips.

Best thing about burgers is they can be whatever you want them to be. I love baby spinach and sliced cherry tomatoes on mine with relish although if is there is guacamole to be used up its going into the burger. My son prefers a mature cheddar with ketchup preferably with a crispy rasher on top.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Reasonably fatty beef mince, even a mix of pork and beef if I'm adventurous.

Garlic powder, mustard powder, salt & pepper. Absolutely no egg or bread crumbs. Don't even understand why you would.

Medium hot pan, salt outside of burger and dry fry (or grill if on the BBQ). About halfway, cover with a cloche, put the cheese on at this point if you want to melt the cheese. I BBQ outside as much as possible.

I generally eat my burger without a bun as I don't eat much bread, but if I was in the mood, I'd have a brioche bun. I don't like thick crusted buns and I don't like buns with flour on the outside.

Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

There was an interesting article on this one in the Sunday Times last week. Some serious investment and backers on board. Burgers essentially made from plants but with the taste and texture of meat, including the blood !!

http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2016/06/21/482322571/silicon-valley-s-bloody-plant-burger-smells-tastes-and-sizzles-like-meat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Selik

My perfect burger - steps as follows:

1) Pickup phone
    2) Hit speed-dial for Bunsen (yes it's in there)
    3) Order burger of choice (usually cheeseburger well-done with all toppings)
    4) Get on my bike (or car if feeling lazy)
    5) Travel to Bunsen restaurant in question
    6) Pay for burger and leave in a hurry
    7) Go home (if on bike) or eat in car if not
    8) Enjoy warm afterglow of the best burger around for at least the next half hour

:D

Selik wrote: »
    My perfect burger - steps as follows:

1) Pickup phone
    2) Hit speed-dial for Bunsen (yes it's in there)
    3) Order burger of choice (usually cheeseburger well-done with all toppings)
    4) Get on my bike (or car if feeling lazy)
    5) Travel to Bunsen restaurant in question
    6) Pay for burger and leave in a hurry
    7) Go home (if on bike) or eat in car if not
    8) Enjoy warm afterglow of the best burger around for at least the next half hour

:D
    or else try make yourself its not rocket science you have just explained it simple

coleslaw wrote: »
    or else try make yourself its not rocket science you have just explained it simple
    as somebody said above use rib steak mince ask the butcher to mince it with a bit ov fat perfect for burgers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

coleslaw wrote: »
    as somebody said above use rib steak mince ask the butcher to mince it with a bit ov fat perfect for burgers

......and if they have a rocket handy, stick the burger underneath before launch and in seconds the burger is cooked :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

There was an interesting article on this one in the Sunday Times last week. Some serious investment and backers on board. Burgers essentially made from plants but with the taste and texture of meat, including the blood !!

http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2016/06/21/482322571/silicon-valley-s-bloody-plant-burger-smells-tastes-and-sizzles-like-meat

I've heard of that, I'm interested to see if it'll take off, and when it'll find its way over here.

I do enjoy a Linda McCartney Mushroom and Mozzarella burger when I don't really have the time to make my own, but there's something in me that always feels that homemade can't be beat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

I really like the Aldi angus burgers. Think they're 1/4 pounders. Made them last night actually and they were good.

Loire wrote: »
    I really like the Aldi angus burgers. Think they're 1/4 pounders. Made them last night actually and they were good.
    I was gonna post about them, they're oustanding for what they are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,406 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I very rarely make beef burgers at home, I save that for when I'm in Bunsen or Tribeca. I do make turkey burgers quite a bit, though.

500g turkey mince (I like Lidl's)
    1 red chilli
    2 cloves garlic
    About a 1" square piece of ginger
    A shallot or half a small onion
    About four stalks coriander
    About 6 or 8 mint leaves
    Pinch of Chinese 5 spice

Bung everything bar the mince into a food processor and blitz to a rough paste. Mix into you mince, form into four patties and bob's yer uncle. I usually serve them in a pitta or half a wrap with yogurt and baby spinach leaves.

Advertisement