Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Driveway turning brown

Options
  • 11-02-2016 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭

Had a new driveway laid with SMA at the end of last year. Recently though the colour has turned all brown and rusty. Looks terrible.

Anyone else have this problem and know the reason(s) before we start accusing the contractor?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Johnnyhpipe

Do you know the buildup used?

Also, just wondering if you're surrounded by trees which might be depositing some sap or other crap onto your driveway?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭stooge

Do you know the buildup used?

Also, just wondering if you're surrounded by trees which might be depositing some sap or other crap onto your driveway?

What do you mean by the buildup? The underlaying surface? It was 804 compacted.

No trees anywhere near the driveway, although it is on a fairly steep hill.

Hi, I'm wondering wearing course/base course thickness/capping thickness? Reputable builder/supplier? You sure it was stone mastic asphalt?

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭con1982

Can you post a few pics?

Hi, I'm wondering wearing course/base course thickness/capping thickness? Reputable builder/supplier? You sure it was stone mastic asphalt?

50mm compacted Sma. V.Reputable and v.experienced supplier(won't post but name via PM if you like). It was SMA we asked for and they said it was harder to lay than the normal stuff so I assume it was.

• Advertisement

Some photos

stooge wrote: »
    Some photos

Have you tried power washing it? Interested to know if it comes off with a power wash.

Looks like a good surface finish and I would suspect its something you're driving in onto it each time. Doesnt look like its anything leeching out of the material. To be honest it simply looks like mud to me..

Have you tried power washing it? Interested to know if it comes off with a power wash.

Looks like a good surface finish and I would suspect its something you're driving in onto it each time. Doesnt look like its anything leeching out of the material. To be honest it simply looks like mud to me..

The colour is in places where there has been no traffic or even people walking. Looking closely at it, the brown colour is coming from the stones in the SMA mix and is not a layer on top.

I havent tried to power wash it, but in fairness it is only down a few months and is so widespread that I'd be a few days trying to wash it all off.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭con1982

Looks like tyre tracks. Can you post some close up photos which show the aggregate?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

The colour is in places where there has been no traffic or even people walking. Looking closely at it, the brown colour is coming from the stones in the SMA mix and is not a layer on top.

I havent tried to power wash it, but in fairness it is only down a few months and is so widespread that I'd be a few days trying to wash it all off.

The marks you see are from the roller, and it is a combination of water, the barrels of the roller and possibly residue from footpaths. Do you have a water softener? The SMA has 60% more bitumen than normal tarmac and any residue or dirty water will cause these stains as will the potassium or salt in the water softener. DO NOT power wash it s you will take the binder off the stone and the stones will come loose weakening the material, the stains will dissipate in due course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Stemau

Some photos

Stooge... did you find a resolution to the SMA problem. I have exactly the same issue.

Stemau wrote: »
    Stooge... did you find a resolution to the SMA problem. I have exactly the same issue.
    Any pictures ?
    Havent heard how the OP job turned out, theres a problem with bitumen and another problem with stuff used to clean barrels reacting with different aggregates, but in fairness it should disappear.
    How long is your job done?

macadam wrote: »
    Any pictures ?
    Havent heard how the OP job turned out, theres a problem with bitumen and another problem with stuff used to clean barrels reacting with different aggregates, but in fairness it should disappear.

It was laid last September. I’ll send photos tomorrow.

Any pictures ?

It was laid last September. I’ll send photos tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 GarySmith

I had the same issue but resolved with the power wash, but in few weeks it got turned back again and looking into this to know how it will be dealt as I am in another newly built home now and here it’s some kind of non-slip driveway tiles which is fine, but still curious to know what it might be the issue with the former and how it can be fixed if in case I am in a situation again or someone in my circle.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Blowheads

I recommend you do not power wash tar

Would it be an idea to ring a few tar companies and ask, most are sound lads if you ask nicely they might have heard of it before

• Registered Users Posts: 19,906 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Some photos

That is either dirt/mud that has washed onto the driveway from a road or has fallen from the underside of vehicles that use the driveway.

Your next query will be about dealing with the moss, speaking from experience.

This can possibly be a rust from roller barrels, a reaction from a roller barrel cleaner or it may even be Iron Pyrite (FeS2) when air and moisture, mix causing a chemical reaction to occur that creates expanding crystals within the material.
    It could also be a problem with the bitumen, it shouldnt affect the functionality of product only the visual appearance of it.
    I remember a certain quarry we used a number of years ago which ceased trading because of pyrite and most of the surfaces laid with this material has some sort of browning but is still functional as a driveway and Im talking 25 years or more.

just as a follow up to my OP and photos (this is a very old thread)

- this was not caused by dirt/mud -> it was in areas with no traffic/runoff. It seemed to be an issue with the mixture and whatever reaction it had with air/rain etc
    - It was a problem for about a year (on and off) and looked really bad especially after drying
    - It disappeared as the driveway aged and is no longer an issue. I did not powerwash

I have other unrelated problems now:
    - some weeds protruding in places and moss growing near kerb shadows (I spray weed killer each year in case anyone is wondering)

I sprinkle bioactive laundry detergent on moss on my driveway.

• Advertisement

cnocbui wrote: »
    I sprinkle bioactive laundry detergent on moss on my driveway.

That will eat away at the binder content eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭db

Amy other suggestions on what to use for moss? Washing powder is the only thing that has worked for me.

Maybe, but it's not going to poison my well water on the off chance any of it percolates down that far. And besides, once a year some geezer shows up offering to 'seal' my driveway: I could always give him a shock and and take him on.

cnocbui wrote: »
    Maybe, but it's not going to poison my well water on the off chance any of it percolates down that far. And besides, once a year some geezer shows up offering to 'seal' my driveway: I could always give him a shock and and take him on.

It will be yourself that will get the shock..

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Macof

Hi Lads, I have a3 months old drive way as well with the same browning... it looks like the yard is going rusty, I’ve asked the supplier about pyrite or iron ore and they said 100% not.
    They said it may be an algae caused by the warm wet winter and it will go in time.
    It’s not muck or run off.

Did anyone else get sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Macof

Hi, I have the same problem, new drive way only 3 months old and it’s turning brown. It looks like rust so I though it my be iron ore in the stone but the plant said no way... the think it’s an algae caused by the warm wet winter.
    They said it will go when the weather gets warm.

Anyone else have an answer....Tks.

Macof wrote: »
    Hi, I have the same problem, new drive way only 3 months old and it’s turning brown. It looks like rust so I though it my be iron ore in the stone but the plant said no way... the think it’s an algae caused by the warm wet winter.
    They said it will go when the weather gets warm.

Anyone else have an answer....Tks.

As I mentioned above, this will go away over time. Was bitterly disappointed when it started as we paid a lot of money for the driveway on for it to turn brown a few months later and stay like that on and off for a year.

After approx year it became less apparent but also after this amount of time the tarmac itself started losing its colour.

Not much you can do it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭scwazrh

DO NOT power wash it s you will take the binder off the stone and the stones will come loose weakening the material,.

What’s the best way to clean a tarmac driveway that’s dirty from landscaping work - excess mud gravel etc. ?.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Blowheads

scwazrh wrote: »
    What’s the best way to clean a tarmac driveway that’s dirty from landscaping work - excess mud gravel etc. ?.

Do not power wash.
    Depends how bad, shovel the heavy stuff, get a yard brush and hose pipe and scrub/wash it

• Advertisement
Advertisement