Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Royal Canal on a Road Bike

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,235 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I think it's at Phibsborough

• Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Can you not go around the gate to the right? It looks like there's plenty of room over there. Obviously an issue with lads joy riding or knackers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,066 ✭✭✭buffalo

devonp wrote: »
    what part of the RC is that ?

Looks like when you come off Dorset St on the south side of the canal heading west, about halfway along that stretch (parallel to Whitworth Road).

https://goo.gl/maps/jvmxH7PjhwLTVFR8A

In fairness I think the middle bit of the kissing gate has been removed, so it's semi-accessible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭VonLuck

I've actually cycled through that gap and can say that it's probably safer now. The grass has this thing called grasscrete I think. It's a plastic grid in the ground that's lethal when wet. You'd fall right off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,953 ✭✭✭✭Stark

VonLuck wrote: »
    I've actually cycled through that gap and can say that it's probably safer now. The grass has this thing called grasscrete I think. It's a plastic grid in the ground that's lethal when wet. You'd fall right off.

Yup, been there, done that.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Gerlad

€400k for Fingal Co. council for Royal Canal Greenway in latest NTA cycle and walkway announcement. Seems a pittance in comparison to what Kildare and Dublin county councils (c€10m) are getting for their sections of the greenway with arguably most of the work required at Deep Sinking and surrounds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Cycling infrastructure D15 is very dysmal. Very little joins up.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,176 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

It's poor alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭KevRossi

It's down to personnel. You have someone with a passion for an idea or a project then they'll get things done.

The Westmeath section of the Royal Canal was done before 2013*. All cyclable, well signposted as well. Since then they have been leaders in pushing through other projects like the Athlone-Mullingar greenway and they are miles ahead of anyone else in terms of signage and sustainability along the route.

*I walked it 25 years ago, can't remember much about the condition of the route, but I cycled it in 2013 and county border to county border, Westmeath stood out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,066 ✭✭✭buffalo

Gerlad wrote: »
    €400k for Fingal Co. council for Royal Canal Greenway in latest NTA cycle and walkway announcement. Seems a pittance in comparison to what Kildare and Dublin county councils (c€10m) are getting for their sections of the greenway with arguably most of the work required at Deep Sinking and surrounds.

Probably just covering design or investigation stages so, whereas Kildare are gearing up for actual construction (I hope!).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

buffalo wrote: »
    Probably just covering design or investigation stages so, whereas Kildare are gearing up for actual construction (I hope!).

Unfortunately yes I'd say as, even if they finally identify a preferred route in the next few months, they will then have another round of public consultation before going for planning permission. Detail design, and possibly a CPO process will follow before they can even tender it. At the rate it's been going, even going to tender in 2022 would be ambitious :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

there are cranes behind the houses on roselawn road about ten houses up from the bridge. i checked planning and there are no domestic projects here so is this something to do with the greenway maybe? anyone know anything about them?

there are cranes behind the houses on roselawn road about ten houses up from the bridge. i checked planning and there are no domestic projects here so is this something to do with the greenway maybe? anyone know anything about them?

Hard to imagine how it would relate to the Greenway as the 2019 design showed the route running along the south bank along there before bridging over to the north side near the end of Roselawn. The only way it could be connected would be if they are investigating having the Greenway on the north bank for the full distance but that would involve even more grief as many of the gardens have been extended right down to the water's edge.

I forget the figure but the finance allocated to that section would only cover an evaluation without heavy equipment

Edit: Fingal have 400k for the entire Royal Canal in the county - maybe that would cover cranes depending on how much of the canal they plan on working on
    https://www.fingal.ie/news/fingal-receives-eu148m-boost-funding-nta-investment-walking-and-cycling-infrastructure

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭knockoutned

No, they are actually houses. The entrance to them will be through the gates right beside the humpback bridge and before the first Roselawn house.

http://www.pleanala.ie/documents/reports/244/R244402.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭FinnC

What’s the route from Lexlip Confey to Maynooth like does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭devonp

Confey to Louisa bridge is "normally" good..fine gravel but at the present its very muddy (dog walk y'day)
    louisa bridge to maynooth...rough path then good for maybe 500m to railway junction....then very rough grass track/mud to near carton and then fine to Maynooth

there'll be plenty of walkers / runners at the weekend

bring your Cx or MTB :D

• Advertisement

Looks like the Royal Canal Greenway is going to be officially launched sometime this month. For now (and probably the next few years), the Greenway runs from Maynooth to Cloondara and Longford and all the publicity and new signage will be on this section only. I had thought on some sections that they might use different banks for walkers and cyclists but, from looking at the brochure, it seems like the same route for both.
    More info at https://www.meathchronicle.ie/2021/02/24/130km-royal-canal-greenway-officially-opens-next-month/
    and https://www.waterwaysireland.org/greenways/royal-canal

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭blackvalley

Royal canal greenway is a fantastic amenity but I always thought it was developed back to front . The area of highest population has largely been neglected while from Maynooth to Clondra is in pristine condition but sees very little traffic.
    As per the development plan the current bottleneck is between Castlenock and Carton but in my humble opinion this should have been the starting point.
    I think that a properly developed greenway from Maynooth to town would attract droves of cyclists , walkers and runners on the daily commute particularly nervous cyclists who are afraid to cycle in traffic.
    This is not a city v country issue as i am delighted for all those living west of Maynooth who have this great facility to enjoy .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

I walked from clonsilla to Ashtown at the weekend. it pretty hairy in places for a cyclist. but i can be done.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I walked from clonsilla to Ashtown at the weekend. it pretty hairy in places for a cyclist. but i can be done.

The clonsilla to cooolmine/castleknock stretch is well known to be sketchy. I've only done it twice myself, and ended up walking. Probably got from clonsilla to leixlip as fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,176 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

It's just the part from Castleknock station though that hasn't seen much work, Castleknock to Ashtown is great, a bit rough and narrow in places from Ashtown through to beyond Finglas too. When I run/walk it I prefer the wildness of it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭FinnC

Where in Leixlip will it be too I wonder? Confey Bridge or to the far side of St Catherine’s Park where the little humpback bridge is there on the Lucan Clonee road, don’t know the name of the bridge sorry as I’m only a blow in to the area.
    Only reason I’m asking is if the Lucan cycle route joining the two canals goes ahead wouldn’t it make sense to have the two paths joining there after St Catherine’s Park?

I reckon it is to the county line at Confey boathouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Dick Turnip

Royal canal greenway is a fantastic amenity but I always thought it was developed back to front . The area of highest population has largely been neglected while from Maynooth to Clondra is in pristine condition but sees very little traffic.
    As per the development plan the current bottleneck is between Castlenock and Carton but in my humble opinion this should have been the starting point.
    I think that a properly developed greenway from Maynooth to town would attract droves of cyclists , walkers and runners on the daily commute particularly nervous cyclists who are afraid to cycle in traffic.
    This is not a city v country issue as i am delighted for all those living west of Maynooth who have this great facility to enjoy .

True, but it I think each county council developed their own section separately? So that would be on Kildare and the various county councils in Dublin I think.

Westmeath's section is finished years afaik so you can't blame them or funding being allocated there if that section was ready to go. The Dublin sections require a lot of planning and €€ in comparison

• Advertisement

True, but it I think each county council developed their own section separately? So that would be on Kildare and the various county councils in Dublin I think.

Westmeath's section is finished years afaik so you can't blame them or funding being allocated there if that section was ready to go. The Dublin sections require a lot of planning and €€ in comparison

Westmeath and Longford also had an advantage in that long stretches of the towpath had been surfaced decades ago to serve as local roads to farms and lock-keepers cottages and these have been integrated into the Greenway. While accepting the need for planning and finance in Fingal and Dublin, and the NIMBYism around the Deep Sinking, the development of the Greenway has featured in both Counties Development Plans for ever and a day but the political will hasn't been there to prioritise it. Therein lies the problem!

Advertisement