Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Type of Grass Harrow

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 fixitagaintomo

Hoping to invest in the Rakeman myself in the next month or two to try tackle the moss that has taken over

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Damo810

It might be worth getting the mossy areas soil tested, as moss can be a by product of a slightly low pH! Liming should get rid of it in these circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Damo810

nhg wrote: »
    After following Reggie's posts, took the plunge & bought the Rakeman 3000, it cost €2700. Didn't bother with the seeder as it can be purchased later on (in the region of €850).

Very happy so far. Below is a picture from a spot where the cattle had a made track up a hill and around a quarry heading to the water tank before being harrowed.

Would it be any use for a full reseed? And would that seeder at 850 just be a simple spinner like a fert shaker?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,388 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Any use on moss?

Does a great job on it

Damo810 wrote: »
    Would it be any use for a full reseed? And would that seeder at 850 just be a simple spinner like a fert shaker?

Yeah it's like a little spinner. Not sure on the whole re seed tho as never tried it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Zr105

Used an einbock(same idea) to do reseed here last year, it was ploughed tilled and rolled before sowing. It did a great job on sowing in the grass and gave it just a nice covering to,

the seeder on it was one with the pipes though, about 6 pipes or could be 8 across 4meters. Rolled again then after!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Zr105 wrote: »
    Used an einbock(same idea) to do reseed here last year, it was ploughed tilled and rolled before sowing. It did a great job on sowing in the grass and gave it just a nice covering to,

the seeder on it was one with the pipes though, about 6 pipes or could be 8 across 4meters. Rolled again then after!
    Ye the pnumatic ones are 2500 more I think

The pneumatic seeder that was

Yeah thats the one couldn't think of the name! And as gg says serious money..... :( but at the same time i wouldn't be mad on the spinner type, as a single disc will throw more out to one side, and then there's also the risk of wind blowing around such a light seed... I suppose your only trying to throw it across 3-4meters tho...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Yeah thats the one couldn't think of the name! And as gg says serious money..... :( but at the same time i wouldn't be mad on the spinner type, as a single disc will throw more out to one side, and then there's also the risk of wind blowing around such a light seed... I suppose your only trying to throw it across 3-4meters tho...

Friend reseeded last year with an einback on a power harrowed field and it had the little spinner on top.
    It was a brilliant job. Lovely thick bed of grass

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭onyerbikepat

This is the kind of result I got from the 'Ranger' type grass harrow. This was an area inside a gate that was badly poached.

This is the kind of result I got from the 'Ranger' type grass harrow. This was an area inside a gate that was badly poached.

That's a right job there

• Registered Users Posts: 19 fixitagaintomo

It might be worth getting the mossy areas soil tested, as moss can be a by product of a slightly low pH! Liming should get rid of it in these circumstances.

Got the soil tested there a few weeks ago pH is fine low P and K. put stuff out on it there on Saturday. still needs a harrowing though. I was trying one of those spike tooth harrows I have, but I may as have been using the back of me bollix to lift the moss

http://www.dhfm.ie/new-farm-machinery.html?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=295&category_id=6

Spotted this in the journal today and thought it sounded like a fairl decent job, sort of a mix of both types of harrow, so should be good for levelling off... The blurb in the add says its 10mm tines.

Anyone seen one up close?

http://www.dhfm.ie/new-farm-machinery.html?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=295&category_id=6

Spotted this in the journal today and thought it sounded like a fairl decent job, sort of a mix of both types of harrow, so should be good for levelling off... The blurb in the add says its 10mm tines.

Anyone seen one up close?

Noticed it on donedeal before but never seen it in the flesh

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Wouldn't like to be going the road with it with those tines sticking out. Easy pull the side of a car!:eek:

Muckit wrote: »
    Wouldn't like to be going the road with it with those tines sticking out. Easy pull the side of a car!:eek:

Be no different to an einbock or the likes when they have the seeder on and have to fold up with tines pointing out..

You just have to adjust them so there in as tight as can...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭RightTurnClyde

Be no different to an einbock or the likes when they have the seeder on and have to fold up with tines pointing out..

You just have to adjust them so there in as tight as can...

Einbock doesn't fold up with tines out, it folds up with tines facing down and raised to tractor cab height. It's very safe there's frame at 8ft wide and nothing outside that.
    I wouldn't like to meet a pedestrian or cyclist on a narrow road with that other harrow.

Einbock doesn't fold up with tines out, it folds up with tines facing down and raised to tractor cab height. It's very safe there's frame at 8ft wide and nothing outside that.
    I wouldn't like to meet a pedestrian or cyclist on a narrow road with that other harrow.

Neighbours one with the seeder folds tines out tho... Dont think there's room for them to fold with tines facing down over the seeder on 4.5m one, think tines would be stuck into the seeder box

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lab man

PN14 wrote: »
    Seen the rakeman & einboch types on DD alright they do look the business to be fair but I doubt the budget would extend that far.
    i think i told you last yr pn the richie type are the best going, i think they are the biz.
    the einblock dont have a levelling bar on them richie do have

• Advertisement
Advertisement