Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warmer microclimates in Ireland

Options
  • 28-08-2015 5:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭

Anyone know of any? I am told that certain places on the leeward side of mountains can have completely different weather than the surrounding areas.
    Any examples?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭RHJ

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

I bet Ye all are saying, "Haha! I knew Calibos would be one of the first to post in this thread" right about now :D

In reply to the OP....

BRAY!!!

Good Panorama views of the Wicklow/Dublin mountains wrapping around Bray in this Drone Vid.

:D

Given the prevailing South Westerlies, Bray and Greystones are some of the only large towns on the east coast almost totally sheltered by the Wicklow/Dublin mountains. We are only totally exposed to winds with an easterly component or a Southerly. Even the 'Dublin' mountains afford us some shelter in a northerly. Most of Dublin is totally exposed in the prevailing winds and even the likes of Arklow which gets the 'Sunny South East' climate is quite a bit more exposed than Bray and Greystones as they only have the lower southern hills of the Wicklow mountains between them and the prevailing winds while we have the highest portion of the range between us and the prevailing winds.

In practice this means the Wicklow mountains soaks up a lot of the rain coming in on the prevailing winds like a sponge. Well, whatever rain actually makes it the whole way across the country to the Wicklow mountains on the East coast. If its lashing rain in Bray, I know it must have been torrential on the other side of the mountains in the Midlands. One can monitor this dissipation of rain over the mountains on the rainfall radar (Raintoday.co.uk). Sometimes it literally looks like there is an invisible force-field across the Wicklow mountains protecting Bray. :) ie. The radar returns just vanish over the middle of the mountains. Looking at the Visible and Infrared of cloud cover on Sat24 one often sees the cloud dissipate or look like its diverting around the mountains.
    20961237835_642f0a52cd_b.jpg

The maritime air from the Irish sea very often keeps a lid on convective cloud formation and the coastal strip on which we reside remains cloud free and blue skied while the rest of the country clouds of hazes over after mid day when convection really gets going.

Then we also get the temperature topup benefit of the 'Fohn Effect' where an airmass gains about 2ºc as it sinks down into the lee of a mountain range.

So Bray as you can see really benefits from its particular location and surroundings on the East coast and could be classed as having a micro climate. However, depending on whether you are a snow bunny or not, when it comes to snow it either loses out as a kind of meteorological payback or it just gets better and better. If you hate snow then it just keeps getting better. Bray only gets snow in the very biggest snow events. The 82's,87's,2010's etc. Very Lucky to get a days dusting anytime else. Its incredibly rare to get snow in Ireland if the wind has any southerly component. If there is any Westerly component to the winds carrying the snow then the same mountains that soak up the rain for Bray also soak up most of the snow. When the east coast is getting 'lake effect' snow trains/streamers coming in from the Irish sea on easterlies, Brays position right smack bang in the middle of the eastcoast means that only two very particular wind directions will deliver us snow. NNE and ENE. Only in those two directions is the Sea fetch long enough for the streamers to develop and drop snow on us.
    360431.jpg

If its coming from the east, Angelsey in Wales straight across the Irish Sea from us means the sea fetch is too short. Then there is the dreaded IOM Snow Shadow (Isle of Mann). It creates a snow shadow because the fetch between the IOM and the east coast isn't long enough for beefy snow streamers to develop. If the wind direction means the IOM snow shadow is aimed at North Leinster, Brays position in the middle of the East coast puts us at the southern edge of the snow shadow. If the IOM Snow shadow is aimed at Southern Leinster then Brays position has us at the Northern edge of the shadow. Its literally just NNE and ENE that'll give Bray snow from the Irish Sea.
    360432.jpg

So if you hate snow then there are literally no downsides to Brays micro-climate or geographical location. However, if like me you are a Snow Bunny, then the Lack of Snow in Bray is payback for all the upsides we benefit from.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭pauldry

grange co sligo is warmer than sligo town or ballisodare

as bulben shelters from northerly gales.

tubbercurry is a wet cold spot

so is geevagh.

hills on wrong side of these

• Registered Users Posts: 13,525 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

pauldry wrote: »
    grange co sligo is warmer than sligo town or ballisodare

[...]

Mullaghmore even better than Grange! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Aiel

I know many islands have their own microclimates but the Aran Islands deserves a mention. They have frequently warmer temperatures then places only a few miles away. Also its not uncommon to hear someone who was in Aran for the day say "we had lovely weather" when it lashed rained in Galway City all that same day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Alexis Sanchez

You can grow many sub-tropical plants on Valentia Island because frost and snow is rare there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

Does the harbour in Howth have a micro climate. On an otherwise windy wet day I convinced myself to walk to the summit. It was wet in Dublin centre, drizzling in Howth, and bucketing down at the summit. Back down again the weather was overcast and drizzly at the dart station but very wet at Conolly. This could have been just the way the weather systems worked but the hill could be absorbing rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,683 ✭✭✭jd

North Dublin has a particularly dry micro climate (even though Wexford is the "Sunny South East", North Dublin is drier). There may be records in Kinsealy (Teagasc, previously AFT).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭positron

Infrequent poster here - so apologies if this has been discussed before.

There's something about the weather north of Dublin airport - Rush/Lusk and south of Balbriggan. I have lost count of the number of afternoons / evenings I would be driving up the M1 on a motorbike, and it would be dry upto north of the airport, only to get pelted by heavy downpours, sleet, hail stones etc with sky heavy with clouds as if they are hiding a giant Independent Day style spaceship. As soon as you ride past the Balbriggan exit, everything stops, sky is clear, roads are dry, but you can still see the rain system in the rear view mirror as if it's a different world out there.

There has to be some sort of technical explanation for this, right? I am thinking it's the Malahide estuary, IOM shadow, open landscape to the west is all coming together there? Does anyone know, has anyone looked into this? Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,683 ✭✭✭jd

Here's data from Kinsealy Research Station, if anyone wants to do some comparative analysis!
    http://www.ipfn.ie/publications/listing/teagasc-kinsealy-weather-data-20082011/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭pauldry

The month of August rainfall figures suggest many thundery microshowers!

E.g knock way wetter than claremorris
    Dublin airport way wetter than

Using all met stations aygust had 140 to 150 per cent rainfall

But using the ones on boards a figure of about 110 is achieved.

All due to Thundery showers.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,326 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I've a sister that lives in Cloonacool in Sligo (near Markree Castle), and jaysus any time I visit her its always freezing and more often than not, wet. She seems to get a decent amount of snow every winter though. She thinks 17C is a hot summers day :D

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Around Glengarriff in West Cork is unusually mild and Garnish Island, just off it (10 mins in a boat at max.), has tropical gardens that grow plants that should never thrive in Ireland.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

SE Dublin city (essentially Dun Laoghaire Co Co area) shares much of the "Bray climate".

With the added benefit that it isn't protected from winter snow streamers by the IoM and above 300ft gets some of the heaviest snow in the country at that altitude.

All good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,768 ✭✭✭saabsaab

+2 Aran Islands, weather there often better than mainland in Summer. The rain seems to be passed on to Galway! I am told that parts of the burren are similar rock acts as a storage heater.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Kilkenny has its own micro-climate as seen when we had an official met office.

Anyone who knows Kilkenny knows it is saucer shaped in that the centre is flat but surrounded by hills that rise to over 300 metres above sea level.
    This has lead to hottest recorded temperature for Ireland at 33.3C but then when we get cold weather it can be one of the coldest places in Ireland.
    It went below -16c in 2010.

However on the hills we see less of a temperature range than those on the flat plains of Kilkenny.
    Nights are often warmer than lower down, they could have frost lower down but up on the hills no frost.
    You could be in Kilkenny city with fog and if you go up the hills, you might have a lovely sunny day looking down on a sea of fog.
    The reverse can happen on the hills with low cloud.

The hills on the Kilkenny/Tipperary border can often kill off showers moving from the west.
    I was reading an environment report and it said the hills in Kilkenny receive about 20% more rainfall than the lowlands of the county.

Because the hills have less of a temperature range, while they don't get as cold at night, in winter especially they don't warm up like lower down does.
    So you could be in Kilkenny city and have rain or sleet, and as happened about 5 and half years ago, they had rain in the city, but 5 miles away on the hills we had a blizzard and snow upto 3 feet deep.

The other day the man delivering the groceries was talking about the rain, told him we had avoided it all and had no rain this month so far.

Kilkenny is a good place for weather enthusiasts.

Advertisement