Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long does An Post hold parcels?

Options
  • 17-04-2012 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

I want to order something from abroad, and it's unclear how long it will take to arrive. I'm also going on holiday soon, so I don't want to return home to find the "You've got a parcel" slip from An Post, only to find out it's too late for me to pick it up at the depot.

I know it says how long it will hold parcels on the slip, but I don't have one handy, and the An Post website doesn't answer this.

Anyone know how long they hold a parcel from America?

Thanks.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

From memory, it's about 5 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 wipednwired

Thanks jor el -- anyone know for sure? I thought parcels from the UK were held 5 days...hoping it's longer for USA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Why not get it delivered to a work address?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Thanks jor el -- anyone know for sure? I thought parcels from the UK were held 5 days...hoping it's longer for USA.
    smaller rural post offices can hold them for longer especially if they know the person is on holidays etc
    I missed a delivery
    Why would you miss a delivery?

If you were out when we tried to deliver your mail and the item:

Was too big to get through your letterbox,
    needs a signature,
    needs payment.

What now?

We’ll leave you a “Sorry we missed you” notice which will let you know how you can get your mail item.
    How long do I have to collect it?

We keep it for five working days
    3 working days if it’s been sent by Registered Post
    16 working days if received from abroad
    After that, we have to return it to the person who sent it, if there’s a legible address on the outside.
    If we have to return anything, we’ll attach a sticker explaining why we couldn’t deliver.

What if there is no return address on the envelope?

We send mail to the National Returned Letter Centre.
    Mail from abroad is sent directly to the country of origin.
    They’ll open the mail and return it if the name and address of the sender is inside, as long as it’s not a newspaper, magazine or advertising.

What if there is no return address inside?

If the contents, on examination, appear to be of sentimental, legal or financial value, we’ll hold it for three months.
    If it’s not claimed within that time, we’ll have to dispose of it.
    http://www.anpost.ie/AnPost/MainContent/Customer+Service/cust-howwehelp.htm#missed_delivery

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

21 days is the official policy, before they are returned to sender.

They normally tell you 5 days, to make sure you collect it quickly. Smaller sorting offices don't have the storage space for keeping things for any length of time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 wipednwired

Thanks Foggy Lad - that's the info I was searching for. Cheers All.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭Laphroaig52

Paulw wrote: »
    21 days is the official policy, before they are returned to sender.

They normally tell you 5 days, to make sure you collect it quickly. Smaller sorting offices don't have the storage space for keeping things for any length of time.

I'm not so sure about that. I had a case before Christmas when I went in to collect it just over a week after the missed delivery and it was gone back.
    And they cited the 5 day policy for domestic parcels.

By the way, it was an amazon.co.uk delivery and for some reason they appear to originate from Dublin so it was treated as domestic. I had assumed that it would be treated as international and held for 21 days.

And worse, with Amazon once it's sent back, it's gone. The order is cancelled and refunded. There is no way to get it resent.

Moral of the story: Enjoy a stress free Christmas and avoid a smack in the mouth from the wife by leaving nothing to chance with children's presents and don't procrastinate about collecting important parcels that originate from the North Pole (even if it does appear to come from Dublin.:mad:)

Advertisement