Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

f2000 Modem and skyQ app won't connect to SkyQ 2TB box.

• 18-01-2019 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭

Hi,

Recently had to change my eir f1000 modem for an f2000. Since then, the SkyQ app on the tablet can't find the SkyQ box on the home network.I am guessing that there is a setting on the modem that needs to change to allow discovery of the Q box on the network.

Any ideas of what that setting might be?

The 2TB Q box and the Q Mini have no problems connecting to the router and internet.

Was on to Sky but they said talk to eir. Thought I would ask here first before I put myself through that - took an hour online to convince them to send me the new modem even though the repair engineer told me I need to ask them for one.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,031 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Does the app on the tablet use the IP address of the Sky Q box for access?
    If yes is it using the correct IP address?

Check the F2000 to see what address is allocated to the box and confirm the app is using the same one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

It could be uPnP (plug and play) which allows devices (consoles etc) and apps to open ports in the firewall themselves. Make sure it's enabled

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭tlaavtech

It could be uPnP (plug and play) which allows devices (consoles etc) and apps to open ports in the firewall themselves. Make sure it's enabled

uPnP says it is enabled, but there may be another security parameter buried in the menus that limit discovery.

There are a number of other apps that can't access their devices as they did before (like the App to control my Denon amplifier) so I am presuming that theses are related and it is not just a Sky thing.

Another app had been working (MyAV), and its FAQ talks about enabling Multimedia, uPnP and mDNS. I have multimedia enabled, but not sure where to find mDNS.

(Of course now the damn thing won't let me browse into it to see if I can track them down, even though I can still go on the net with it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

From vague memory, I found the hard way that Eir have a lot of functions and external ports locked down "for security purposes". Even if you ticked the box or enabled a setting it actually did nothing. I no longer had external access to my network. Eir supports attitude was "tough! That's our setup. Take it or leave it." In theory you could try flash Huawei's own firmware on the router but good luck with Eir support if you bork it.

EDIT: Just to clarify. The people I spoke with in Eir support were sound guys and very polite and understanding. Just bound by the companies T&Cs

Were on to Sky who said that they had 11 cases of people with f2000 modems unable to connect to SkyQ app on their home network. There had been an issue with Vodafone which Eir solved, but they are making no attempt to solve the SkyQ issue.

I gave up and bought a TP-Link AC1200 modem/router and all is working perfectly well now. I do not use the F2000 modem at all. The TP-Link had an option to use it on the Eircom(!) network, and it configured itself from there. You just need to put in a generic username and password. I'm not sure if it actually uses these, but the modem won't proceed without them.

With Eir losing BT Sports in August, they are really encouraging me to go elsewhere once August comes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

tlaavtech wrote: »
    Were on to Sky who said that they had 11 cases of people with f2000 modems unable to connect to SkyQ app on their home network. There had been an issue with Vodafone which Eir solved, but they are making no attempt to solve the SkyQ issue.

I gave up and bought a TP-Link AC1200 modem/router and all is working perfectly well now. I do not use the F2000 modem at all. The TP-Link had an option to use it on the Eircom(!) network, and it configured itself from there. You just need to put in a generic username and password. I'm not sure if it actually uses these, but the modem won't proceed without them.

With Eir losing BT Sports in August, they are really encouraging me to go elsewhere once August comes.

So the TP Link AC1200 has a pre configured profile for Eir VDSL? That's interesting.

I posted that bit because it was difficult to find definitive "Yes it works" comments! I took the gamble based on the ability to return the modem to Harvey Norman if it didn't work. But I can now say that it worked fine for me. At first, the upload speed was a tenth of the Eir speed (2M rather than 18M), but the following morning it was fractionally faster than the f2000 on both up and downloads.

[Typical HN though - Price on-line is €75 but in store was €99. Had to show the price on my phone to get the price match. Really bugs me that they pull this crap all the time.]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭jelutong

tlaavtech wrote: »

.Losing BT Sport means I won't be renewing my contract with them. Interesting to see how Sky will package it.

Advertisement