Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving from Virgin media broadband to conway.tv?

Options
  • 26-03-2018 8:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭

Hi all,

I have been with ntl/upc/virgin media for years and other than the ridiculous yearly price hikes - I have been happy with the Internet speeds and service quality.

I have received an offer in my mailbox today from conway.tv offering up to 2-3 times the speed of my current upc Internet, 50% of the price.

I have seen threads about them (not positive) from 5-7 years ago, but nothing recent and relevant.

Can anyone offer any advice?

They offer 14 days trial and I can apply for no contract deal which is still much less then Virgin, so I guess it does not hurt to try?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,767 ✭✭✭DopeTech

valdigre wrote: »
    Hi all,

I have been with ntl/upc/virgin media for years and other than the ridiculous yearly price hikes - I have been happy with the Internet speeds and service quality.

I have received an offer in my mailbox today from conway.tv offering up to 2-3 times the speed of my current upc Internet, 50% of the price.

I have seen threads about them (not positive) from 5-7 years ago, but nothing recent and relevant.

Can anyone offer any advice?

They offer 14 days trial and I can apply for no contract deal which is still much less then Virgin, so I guess it does not hurt to try?

I'm with them now. Brutal service and customer service is worse than useless. Stick with virgin or try sky/eir but steer clear of $lyconway

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭valdigre

Sir Dosser wrote: »
    I'm with them now. Brutal service and customer service is worse than useless. Stick with virgin or try sky/eir but steer clear of $lyconway

Really???

But do you need their support often? I presume that if/when everything works, you don't need to contact them at all?

Also, how would you rate the speeds and quality of the broadband?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,789 ✭✭✭✭listermint

They can't offer the speeds you currently have. Steer clear.

I had lobby hard to get upc into my apartments when I was living there removing skyconways control over the blocks.

Poor non local support second class products

Wow, I was not expecting this kind of feedback.

This is what they are offerring where I live - this was in the mailbox and sent as pdf to my email after I contacted them:

Standard Package @ €29.99 p/m (12 Month Contract)
    If you choose our Standard Package you will receive a maximum download speed of 250mb and a maximum upload speed of 30mb*

Option 1
    250mb Fibre Powered Unlimited Broadband (€50.00 activation fee)

Option 2
    250mb Fibre Powered Unlimited Broadband & 200+ Digital Channels (€110.00 activation fee)

Option 3
    250mb Fibre Powered Unlimited Broadband & 200+ Recordable Digital Channels (€145.00 activation fee)

Premium Package @ €35.99 p/m (No Contract) / €39.99 p/m (No Contract)
    If you choose our Premium Package you will be guaranteed a minimum download speed of 250mb and a minimum upload speed of 70mb**

Option 1
    Fibre Powered Unlimited Broadband @ €35.99 p/m (€25.00 activation fee)

Option 2
    Fibre Powered Unlimited Broadband & 200+ Digital Channels @ €39.99 p/m (€60.00 activation fee)

Option 3
    Fibre Powered Unlimited Broadband & 200+ Recordable Digital Channels @ €39.99 p/m (€120.00 activation fee)
    VOIP Phone Service @ €10.00 p/m (12 Month Contract) + €30.00 Activation Fee
    VOIP (Voice Over IP) Phone service can be added to either the Standard or Premium Package. A VOIP information leaflet is available upon request which explains how the phone service works.

*This is the maximum download and upload speeds you will receive on a wired connection
    **This is the minimum download and upload speeds you will receive on a wired connection; the actual download speed will range from 250mb – 700mb and the actual upload speed with vary from 70mb – 100mb. The actual speed you get will vary depending on the internal cabling of your home.
    *** A wired connection means connecting a computer directly to the modem using an Ethernet cable

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

*This is the maximum download and upload speeds you will receive on a wired connection
    **This is the minimum download and upload speeds you will receive on a wired connection; the actual download speed will range from 250mb – 700mb and the actual upload speed with vary from 70mb – 100mb. The actual speed you get will vary depending on the internal cabling of your home.
    *** A wired connection means connecting a computer directly to the modem using an Ethernet cable

kitty-facepalm.jpg

What that says to me is they're not provisioning limits into the CPE so speed will fluctuate wildly as each customer gets the full whack from the CMTS on demand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,767 ✭✭✭DopeTech

ED E wrote: »
    kitty-facepalm.jpg

What that says to me is they're not provisioning limits into the CPE so speed will fluctuate wildly as each customer gets the full whack from the CMTS on demand.
    I'm not getting more than 20download/3upload. I asked a basic enough question about the satellite box they provide and I couldn't get a straight answer, also their routers are completely locked down so you can't even change the change the radio channel let alone anything more technical.

Has anyone got some recent experience with Conway?

They are offering 1000mb broadband where I live for 39E which is basically 50% less than Virgin and 50% faster in theory?

I am tempted...

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Falconire

Has anyone got some recent experience with Conway?

They are offering 1000mb broadband where I live for 39E which is basically 50% less than Virgin and 50% faster in theory?

I am tempted...

I have come across conway supplying a broadband connection to a business in a building I was installing equipment for. The conway connection was very slow and had very high packet loss which made it usless.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,983 ✭✭✭con747

You have a 14 day cooling off period by law for distance selling so the "Try for 14 days on us" is bullsh1t.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,539 ✭✭✭JTMan

Is conway.tv selling broadband via Open Eir?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 zhac

Got the Conway leaflet yesterday.

They're offering :

1000Mbps Fibre Unlimited Broadband Only @ €20.00 per month on a 12-
    month contract and then €39.99 per month thereafter - one time install fee of
    €60.00

OR

1000Mbps Fibre Unlimited Broadband & 200 + Digital channels @ €20.00 per
    month on a 12-month contract and then €39.99 per month thereafter - one
    time install fee of €120.00

They supply AVM Fritz!Box 4040 modem/router
    There is 14 days free trial as usual.

Anyone using their service with above package (1000 mb) with recent feedback ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Zhac did you buy this? I'm on virgin which is excellent 99 percent of the time.

But I'm experiencing intermittent outages that last about 5 seconds as frequently as six times per hour and it ruins gaming. I suspect the problem is in the building.

So I want a different provider, but I doubt there is anything as good as virgin.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 guitarless

Apologies for resurrecting this thread, but I think it's relevant since I found it via google when searching for conway.tv. I've been having a very poor experience in Dublin city center and would recommend avoiding them. I experience quite a bit of downtime, and any time I've reached out to support they've been unable to diagnose the issues. It's left me unable to work for hours at a time which is frustrating to say the least

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Tamara42

I have them 6 months now, I never had a problem and everything works. Virgin is so expensive i suppose it comes down to price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Glaceon

That was my experience with them too. Very variable speed. The houses were all prewired for Conway when we moved in. I was also issued a private IP so they were probably just sharing the same connection among everyone in the estate.

I was a little bold and did a scan on the private IP range. Found all of their Ubiquiti gear quite easily, amateur hour stuff.

Advertisement