Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bicycle registration at Garda station?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 UCDCommuter

Almost threadomancy at this point, but Donnybrook have now rolled out this scheme and looks like its an improvement as the details are to be registered on the Garda Pulse system. That means effectively it's nationwide.

Donnybrook can be contacted at (01) 6669200 for details plus there's some info up on the UCD commuting blog.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 DubLu

a similiar scheme existed years ago( early 90's). Part of the neighbourhood watch scheme. You filled out the form and the guards embezzled your DOB on the bike.
    Good to see it back. must enquire to the local station in swords to see what the craic is.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

http://bikeregister.ie/

"Bike Register is Ireland’s premier online Bicycle Registration scheme. With our recent recession, crime rates have soared and bicycle theft has increased. Bikes have always been an easy target, and even when recovered by the Gardai, it has proved difficult to identify the legitimate owner. Most recovered stolen items end up in a Garda auction.

Bike Register aims to reduce bicycle theft, by deterring thieves, and to provide a system for returning recovered bikes to their legitimate owners."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

I'd much rather register with the Gardai than that website.

Who knows who they are or whether they're legit.

If your bike is nicked, what use is the info in their database? Will the Gardai contact the various bike registration databases and say "hey, do you know who owns this bike?". Probably not, and even less likely now if they've launched their own initiative.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭username2010

Dord wrote: »
    Just noticed a poster on a local shop window that the Bridewell Garda station in Dublin 7 has a new scheme on whereby you can register your bike with them. I guess in the event of a theft where they recover it they can return it. Anyone done this? :confused:

Hey!....
    Was cycling down Constitution Hill in Phibsboro today, and the Gardaí were out flagging down cyclings to tell them about this scheme....
    It's a really good idea - You can fill out the form and drop/post it in, or just email them with serial number, photo etc...
    They were also giving out high-vis jackets this afternoon too....
    As someone who has had two bikes stolen and may well again, this is a great initiative....
    :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭username2010

Is there any way to get an online version of the form? So you can just go straight in with forms and photos all filled out. Thanks

Hi El.Duderino...
    You can email the details (incl a photo) to the Bridewell....The details looked for on the form are:
    - First Name
    - Surname
    - Email Address
    - Home Address
    - Contact Number
    - Make
    - Model
    - Frame No.
    - Mens/Womens
    - Colour
    - Serial No.
    - Identifying Marks
    - Date Purchased
    - Value When Purchased

I've DM'd the email address to you....

Cheers....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

-Chris- wrote: »
    I'd much rather register with the Gardai than that website.

Who knows who they are or whether they're legit.

Even if they are, how secure is the database which contains details of where to find all the expensive bikes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 lovebikes

yeah, i heard about this. you can bring your bike to donnybrook garda station and they will put it on the garda pulse system. its a nationwide database. if the guards stop someone on your bike they will know its yours even if you haven't report it stolen, sounds good to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Bridewell scheme was set up after an individual guard took the initiative, due to frustration at not being able to reunite owners with recovered bikes. Nice to see the initiative being so roundly knocked here...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

I'll be registering all of our bikes as soon as it's available in Henry Street..
    Good initiative overall I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,964 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

What are the chances of more rural stations (Balbriggan) taking this on? Do you reckon it's citywide only?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 lovebikes

I don't know about ballbriggan but anyone can call into donnybrook or ringsend with their bike. doesn't mater where your from!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

BTW the garda press office would not say if the scheme is to be expanded, well they did not comment at all on the scheme... http://cyclingindublin.com/2012/01/25/call-for-database-to-help-return-stolen-bicycles-to-owners/

• Registered Users Posts: 16 UCDCommuter

I've uploaded the registration form and the public scheme info sheet to scribd, they're available for download here and here respectively. The new scheme is based mainly off the serial number, I think it might be a bit different from the Bridewell one (Is it purely local maybe?) looking at the info fields.

The form states that it can be submitted by email and that the registration will be on the Pulse system so no reason why it couldn't be submitted from anywhere in Ireland. It's a pilot project so maybe interest from cyclists around the country might help get it developed further... really what would be good for Gardai would be something like the National Mobile property Database in the UK, useful for more than bicycles too.

Unless the Gardai have committed to work with the bikeregister.ie scheme it's probably not going to work for the reasons outlined by -Chris-. I signed up for the bikeshepherd.org scheme as it's effectively a private citizen scheme. It offered a deterrent sticker and allows anyone to check if a bike has been stolen or not, then contact the owner via the site (no details shared). I'm going to go with the Garda scheme also so hopefully that'll be all bases covered...

• Registered Users Posts: 6 oneworld01

I've been trying to find a stolen bike and have found this website which asks bike owners to register their bikes. Does anyone know anything about it? It seems to me that it would be a very handy thing for a bike thief to know where expensive bikes are kept. No mention of who runs it, whether its affiliated to the Gardai. Any info?

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭GampDub

Hi,

I recall previously hearing about registering you bike with you local Garda station so it has a chance of being re-united with you if recovered as stolen.

Went to my local station at the weekend (Blachardstown, Dublin) and they hadn't a clue what I was talking about.

Does anybody know if this still in place and/or if it down to the individual station to do this?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭brock92

Found this using google

"Irishtown and Donnybrook Garda stations have started a trail registration scheme, call in for details and to have your bike registered"

http://www.dublincycling.ie/cycling/tips-how-avoid-bike-theft

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

brock92 wrote: »
    Found this using google

"Irishtown and Donnybrook Garda stations have started a trail registration scheme, call in for details and to have your bike registered"

http://www.dublincycling.ie/cycling/tips-how-avoid-bike-theft

Donnybrook you had to fill in a form with your BB bumber and that was it, very simple. Not sure if it goes up onto Pulse or onto another DB for the admin staff who deal with the records.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Related question, do the guards read the frame numbers on bikes when they recover them or do they just put them in storage and wait for someone to come looking in peoples experiences?

Thargor wrote: »
    Related question, do the guards read the frame numbers on bikes when they recover them or do they just put them in storage and wait for someone to come looking in peoples experiences?

They have a civilian office crowd in most of the storage places who put it all on a database.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭morana

Have said it before as a membership benefit Cycling Ireland should allow you register your bikes with them and they transfer the data to the AGS or give them access to the db for searches

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

morana wrote: »
    Have said it before as a membership benefit Cycling Ireland should allow you register your bikes with them and they transfer the data to the AGS or give them access to the db for searches

^^^ Now that would be another Positive Membership Benefit right there. Yeah, I'd agree with an idea like this :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Don't think they look at frame numbers - they do keep the Flickr page up to date.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/gardasiochana/

I found mind and got it back within 2/3 days - they guards were very helpful and were genuinely happy to see a bike back with it's owner.

after 12+ months they are then sold off - http://www.wilsonsauctions.com/liquidation-disposals-search-results/659

S.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Is there any point in this service? http://bikeregister.ie/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

RainyDay wrote: »
    Is there any point in this service? http://bikeregister.ie/

Yep. I was interested in a rather unusual bike on adverts awhile back that seemed a bit keenly priced, checked it on bikeregister.ie and saw it was nicked. Reported the add to both adverts and bikeregister and received a thank you email from the owner some days later to say they had been reunited with their bike courtesy of a local Garda that became involved. May be a rare enough occurrence but still worth doing. You can also insure your bikes against theft or accidental damage on sites like cyclesure.ie where cover for a €2k bike comes in at €140 - €150 per annum.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭emmetfahy

I recently bought a bike. It cost about €500.
    Is there a bike registration scheme in Ireland?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭BrianHenryIE

Seriously? http://bfy.tw/kW

Depends where your based, there are companies who do it but you obviously pay them, then there are a few Garda stations who also do it, Donnybrook and Bridewell, details here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056095180

Seriously? http://bfy.tw/kW

There are a lot of things you could find by googling, alot of them not that helpful.

A discussion board about cycling seems the appropriate place to ask, considering only one link from the front page is useful in my opinion and that brings you back to boards.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭BrianHenryIE

CramCycle wrote: »
    A discussion board about cycling seems the appropriate place to ask

Fair enough, here's last week's thread to help him: Garda Bike Registration

Advertisement