Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hoist for half ton fertilizer

Options
  • 30-04-2019 7:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭

Anyone know of a reasonably priced hoist for fertilizer spreader or did any body come up with any other way of loading with one tractor . Save me driving forklift 3 miles everytime I want to put out manure .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,252 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Another option to a hoist is a quick hitch for the spreader.
    There's a teagle version and another one made by dromone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭hopeso

Do you have a loader on your tractor? If so, then a quick hitch on the spreader as mentioned, or make up a frame from some rsj that you can hang the bag on with the loader, and then reverse under it with the spreader.....

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭renandstimpy

Both good ideas .. yes I have a loader and I have a Cosmos wagtail 600 spreader .. I wonder would it stand up to being filled free standing as I have a bar that clips onto arms and them goes up into hooks on spreader with 2 other hooks that fall down over . All I'd have to do is connect top link . But i suppose the girder would be faster after initial setup . Thanks food for thought .

Both good ideas .. yes I have a loader and I have a Cosmos wagtail 600 spreader .. I wonder would it stand up to being filled free standing as I have a bar that clips onto arms and them goes up into hooks on spreader with 2 other hooks that fall down over . All I'd have to do is connect top link . But i suppose the girder would be faster after initial setup . Thanks food for thought .

I think that's the idea behind the bar on the lift arms...though I could be wrong. I'd say if she was on level ground, and you let it fill slowly, she should be stable enough. Worth trying it once anyway, some day you're not in a hurry. But, I'd say reconnecting the top link and drive shaft would soon become tiring, if you were spreading a few loads......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Bought a 2 ton chain block last year which i was using to lift a cow think i payed €70, hung it off of a rafter in the slatted shed and can now load half ton bags straight into the spreader.

Half ton bags are kept on pallets and left under chain block before putting the spreader on the tractor, if needs be i could put out several tonne at once, just be selective on which bag you pick up first so the others don't get in the way!

If you do go down the chain block route get one big enough, a half ton block in theory will lift half a ton but i would'nt fancy standing under it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭sam ford

Rossmore engineering near Thurles manufacture hoists for this job, price wise you would need to contact the sales department 0504 42230

• Registered Users Posts: 19,208 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Bought a 2 ton chain block last year which i was using to lift a cow think i payed €70, hung it off of a rafter in the slatted shed and can now load half ton bags straight into the spreader.

Half ton bags are kept on pallets and left under chain block before putting the spreader on the tractor, if needs be i could put out several tonne at once, just be selective on which bag you pick up first so the others don't get in the way!

If you do go down the chain block route get one big enough, a half ton block in theory will lift half a ton but i would'nt fancy standing under it!

Get a heavy duty block by all means but don't forget to check the strength of whatever you are wrapping it around at the top end!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,208 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

hopeso wrote: »
    Do you have a loader on your tractor? If so, then a quick hitch on the spreader as mentioned, or make up a frame from some rsj that you can hang the bag on with the loader, and then reverse under it with the spreader.....

Would have to be a fairly high frame. You're talking about what, say 10-12 feet high that you'll be clipping in the top of the strap at. Not saying it wouldn't work, I'd just say it's be a pain in the arse to get the bag transferred safely and then the empty one back off. I'm assuming you'd just have a bar at the top that you'd try to drive to loop through?

Would have to be a fairly high frame. You're talking about what, say 10-12 feet high that you'll be clipping in the top of the strap at. Not saying it wouldn't work, I'd just say it's be a pain in the arse to get the bag transferred safely and then the empty one back off. I'm assuming you'd just have a bar at the top that you'd try to drive to loop through?

You've probably given the whole thing more thought than I have, really....Yes, it would probably need to be in and around that height alright, as well as being substantial and balanced enough to hold the bag safely. After that, transferring the bag from the loader to the frame would be the biggest stumbling block... A flat bar at the top like you suggested would probably be the best option. There'd be no problem sliding the empty bag off it anyway.....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,635 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement

A ready made hoist here.....Not sure how high it is...... https://www.donedeal.ie/otherfarmmachinery-for-sale/garage-crane/21732167

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Dunedin

blue5000 wrote: »

Not a bad call at all. I have a purpose bought frame and it does the job grand but still slow enough compared to a second tractor or forklift

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭limerick farmer

there is an ad on donedeal for a bag hanger that bolts onto a shed rsj looks good idea no price but its in the manure spreader section on donedeal dont know how to link ad.his number is 0863565833 he is in kilrush and I have no connection,

• Registered Users Posts: 10,720 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

One I made up. Lidl chain hoist.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

there is an ad on donedeal for a bag hanger that bolts onto a shed rsj looks good idea no price but its in the manure spreader section on donedeal dont know how to link ad.his number is 0863565833 he is in kilrush and I have no connection,

https://www.donedeal.ie/manurespreaders-for-sale/big-bag-manure-half-tonne-hanger/20890115

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭SilverKrest

Have you access to a 2nd tractor for spreading. Id say even a 135 would spread 500kgs ok

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

One I made up. Lidl chain hoist.

Made up similar here but had not put in chain hoist like that. Was a only ok as transferring from loader to it was no small thing.

Chainblock idea though is a good one!!!

Since then an change of farming system means fert is now spread more often and a Rossmore fertilizer crane was bought which is a great job really

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭Grueller

Have you access to a 2nd tractor for spreading. Id say even a 135 would spread 500kgs ok

Ya but what if you have 20 tonne to spread in a day from 40 half tonne bags?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭SilverKrest

Ya but what if you have 20 tonne to spread in a day from 40 half tonne bags?[/quote]

It would suit OP as he can only fill 500 kgs at a time and he could leave spreader on one tractor and load with the other

• Registered Users Posts: 18,274 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

blue5000 wrote: »

Only problem with any machine that is not started regularly is that you will have to jump start it and leave it running

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
Advertisement