Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Direct Links to UCD Services, bypassing UCD Connect

Options
  • 03-04-2009 1:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,959 ✭✭✭✭

Normally, your first stop for any UCD Services is the UCD Connect "portal", which you can access by logging in on the UCD homepage. There have been times when it has been unavailable due to heavy loads, such as the weeks leading up to exams. If this happens, don't panic: you can get to everything you need without it, if you use links to the specific services "behind" UCD Connect, such as:
    Note the https where indicated - this means that traffic, such as your password, is encrypted over the Internet.

When accessing external journals or databases, these authenticate you vs. UCD using a system called Athens, which is enabled if you access these systems after logging in to UCD Connect or the Library. If you haven't done that (or sometimes even when you have), look for anything marked Athens e.g. Athens Login. Following those links should enable you to select "UCD", and that take you to the UCD Library page for Athens, where you can login. After you can should be redirected to the resources you need at the external site. If not, you should find more details or instructions wherever you see Athens.

Anyone know any more useful addresses?

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Infernon

This should be sticky

• Registered Users Posts: 12,959 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I think so too, but it's not up to me! :pac:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

Thought I should bring this back up for new students to see. The UCD Connect "portal" can go down at peak times, but if it does, you can just go direct to the service(s) you want. These aren't "back doors" around any security, you still have to authenticate yourself when you get there.

One thing I'd add: if you have a Gmail account, you can set it up to get your mail from UCD. The server type is IMAP, the account name is <studentid>@ucdconnect.ie, and you have the option to send mail or replies that appear to be coming from your UCD account, and not your Gmail account.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

http://selfpass.ucd.ie for resetting your password, or retrieving your password if you've forgotten it (you need to specify security questions first)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

Thanks for this, but it won't let me log into blackboard. I put in my CAO number and password and I can't get in. Any advice?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,396 ✭✭✭✭kippy

kev9100 wrote: »
    Thanks for this, but it won't let me log into blackboard. I put in my CAO number and password and I can't get in. Any advice?

I would assume it works via your UCD student ID and not your CAO one......
    No idea really but suspect that is the case.
    Have u gotten your UCD account details?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

kippy wrote: »
    I would assume it works via your UCD student ID and not your CAO one......
    No idea really but suspect that is the case.
    Have u gotten your UCD account details?

No, but I can log into UCD Connect with my CAO number....

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Estragon

It will be your UCD number that you'll use for Connect and Blackboard, once you register and get it.

Your CAO number works at first, but you can forget about it after registration, I remember having trouble with this last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

kev9100 wrote: »
    No, but I can log into UCD Connect with my CAO number....

Your CAO number is your student number. When did you accept your place to UCD? It takes 3 working days from then to set you up on SIS.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭bigred100

We haven't even picked modules or anything yet, that's prob why it's not working. We haven't fully registered.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

Infernon wrote: »
    This should be sticky

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 141089

I was thinking of making some simple website, for UCD students for mostly non - acedemic side of things, would most likely be just a few pages in size, with the links OP has given, as well as youtube, facebook, miniclip , and other sites popular with students mostly for entertainment. I would include a link to boards.ie UCD section too.

The objective would be to get many students to bookmark it or use it as their homepage....

Then again, there are probably many sites out there that give you customisable menus.. heck, students could use firefox bookmarks or the like.

It was just as a basic web starting point, aesthetically pleasing, without the ucdconnect messing around part, just to make life easy for people.

Anyone think this would be worthwhile?

PS if anyone decides to take this idea, let me know so I don't waste a tenner on a domain :) cheers !

I've just saved these links as Internet Explorer Favorites on a UCD PC, since Favorites are persistent on your account (via your H: drive).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭psychward

I have a presentation due tomorrow and all my info is in black board.

The feckin blackboard wont let me login. I can access SIS and the link to email above works but brings me to my old account before gmail was enabled,like time travel to an old email account with no useful info inside it. Maybe the change to a U-card caused it.... arghhh

So the password still works... just not on the homepage . Anyone got a direct link to ucd gmail accounts so I can try to login directly to my own ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭psychward

Ok this is useful information I guess:

Blackboard link above still works . But for my saved work in gmail I used the link :

https://mail.google.com/a/ucdconnect.ie

and it got me into my Gmail account when access off the homepage wasn't working !!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Blackboard and SISWeb are fine, but I haven't been able to login to UCD Connect since last night. First it was saying it couldn't find my username, now the server won't even respond.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

Connect is down at the moment

see here: http://www.ucd.ie/itservices/itsupport/announcements/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

This is a handy list of direct logins:
    http://www.ucd.ie/itservices/news/2010/directlogin/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Bugger....

Cannot seem to find my H drive, anybody have any luck ?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Red Alert

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 hollyeef

I've googled this exact thread so many times ! Merci again for the direct links! :)

Advertisement