Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Sticky label competition. For plonkers that ice charging points

Options
  • 22-04-2016 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭

Has a classic at the Enfield service , half the car park is empty , Audi blocking SCPs. Women a couple of cars in front drives straight into FCP bay in a bmw estate.

Despite me winding the window down and saying to her as she passes, she ignores me. SWMBO hots foots it into the service hall , " gets her attention " finally gets her to move. ( they'd like a hundred free spaces)

So In honour of ice idiots in going to produce a set of laser labels that I will leave on the window of stupid ices

Let's have a design competition , I'm hopeless at graphics so come on boardies , let's do a " suitable " graphic " for a 4" x 2" label. ( I can then stick them to the drivers door window

Comments

I don't think you can legally do this and I wouldn't mess with someone else's property.

Think about if they can't get the sticker off the window or can't remove 100% and the crash and they say to the Judge that I couldn't see because someone stuck a sticker on my window and what if someone saw you do it and took your reg number or caught you on camera because perhaps someone did the same to them ? of they have security footage ?

What if the owner catches you and decides to give you a baseball bat to the head ? I've met some not so pleasant people at charge points that got very ratty with me for even suggesting they use their home charge point so I couldn't imagine what some of them would do if they caught me putting a sticker on their window.

I wouldn't do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

I don't think you can legally do this and I wouldn't mess with someone else's property.

Think about if they can't get the sticker off the window or can't remove 100% and the crash and they say to the Judge that I couldn't see because someone stuck a sticker on my window and what if someone saw you do it and took your reg number or caught you on camera because perhaps someone did the same to them ? of they have security footage ?

What if the owner catches you and decides to give you a baseball bat to the head ? I've met some not so pleasant people at charge points that got very ratty with me for even suggesting they use their home charge point so I couldn't imagine what some of them would do if they caught me putting a sticker on their window.

I wouldn't do it.

That's fine , I'm not asking you to do it.

I'm no more likely to get into trouble then people that put advertising flyers under your wiper blade. (In fact It might be better to,put it under their wipe blade and not have it sticky at all

I'm asking for design ideas.

Unless we do something to point out to ice drivers how inconsiderate they are , this problem will get worse

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭September1

I think it may lead to unnecessary escalation to use stickers, I think polite cards that are kindly explaining why EVs need this space and humbly asking to consider it when other spaces are available to park elsewhere would be best idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

What's an ICE?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭skibum

TallGlass wrote: »
    What's an ICE?

Internal combustion engine, either petrol or diesel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭heliguyheliguy

Stop a douche bag!
    maybe we could order some from them?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPxDHN7aLo4

September1 wrote: »
    I think it may lead to unnecessary escalation to use stickers, I think polite cards that are kindly explaining why EVs need this space and humbly asking to consider it when other spaces are available to park elsewhere would be best idea.

Fine polite cards it is

I was still looking for a nice graphic desig.

I would say that " humble " cuts little " ICE"!! however as a general rule

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

waterproof cards....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

a holesaw, tec7 and

wZoZbmJ.jpg

and a sticker :

3pcvbUE.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 33,355 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

When we have countless scumbags who openly park in disabled spaces without it bothering them, I see no hope for EV spaces.

Both should be automatic fines, but then again we hardly have the number of wardens to enforce it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

There were so many acronyms in the OP that I only understood half the post. :)

BoatMad wrote: »

I wouldn't do it.

That's fine , I'm not asking you to do it.

I'm no more likely to get into trouble then people that put advertising flyers under your wiper blade. (In fact It might be better to,put it under their wipe blade and not have it sticky at all

I'm asking for design ideas.

Unless we do something to point out to ice drivers how inconsiderate they are , this problem will get worse
    By all means put notes under the wiper to remind people but sticking a sticker on the drivers side window is another thing.

There were so many acronyms in the OP that I only understood half the post. :)

SCP = Slow charging point
    FCP = fast charging point
    ICE = internal combustion engine o
    SWMBO = she who must be obeyed
    BMW = Bayerische Motoren Werke
    AUDI = derived from the founders son comment " auditor et altera pars"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I have no interest whatsoever in tackling, taking on, confronting or otherwise engaging with someone who is breaking the law.

If the space is not marked properly, the issue is with the council or provider.

If the space IS properly marked, then they are either an arsehole, or an idiot. Both of which pose a danger to me, so I stay well clear of their vehicle.

Ps, the two charging spots I wanted to use yesterday were blocked, by a rare sight indeed. Two nose to nose Teslas!

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭oinkely

pwurple wrote: »
    Ps, the two charging spots I wanted to use yesterday were blocked, by a rare sight indeed. Two nose to nose Teslas!

Where was that? Been keeping an eye out for a Tesla but yet to spot one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

oinkely wrote: »
    Where was that? Been keeping an eye out for a Tesla but yet to spot one

South Mall, cork city. Neither of them were cork registered though, so just passing through I'm guessing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,261 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I have a print out that I put under the wipers of idiot ICE drivers.

Wouldn't stick anything on though, asking for trouble or retribution.

As for the legality of it, parking control where I work have a red sticker that their put on illegally parked cars on site.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

I have no interest whatsoever in tackling, taking on, confronting or otherwise engaging with someone who is breaking the law.

If the space is not marked properly, the issue is with the council or provider.

If the space IS properly marked, then they are either an arsehole, or an idiot. Both of which pose a danger to me, so I stay well clear of their vehicle.

I'm not up to date on this but is it actually breaking the law to park an ice car in an ev spot?

If the space is not marked properly, the issue is with t

he council or provider.

As EVs increase in numbers , access to chargers will become an increasing issue. The idea is an informative window wiper slip , that explains the issue and asks people to understand and respect the space.

I'm not up to date on this but is it actually breaking the law to park an ice car in an ev spot?

The law exists that in a public place, assuming the EV charging bay is signed and marked as per the legislation , that the power exists for the local authority to fine transgressors

The issue is , signage that is not compliant with the legislation and the willingness of local authorities to bother enforcing it

The issue where the charger is on private lands, ( filling stations, Tesco etc ) , I dont know, but I suspect the clamping option available to private operators would be available to prevent ICE-ing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

The law exists that in a public place, assuming the EV charging bay is signed and marked as per the legislation , that the power exists for the local authority to fine transgressors

The issue is , signage that is not compliant with the legislation and the willingness of local authorities to bother enforcing it

The issue where the charger is on private lands, ( filling stations, Tesco etc ) , I dont know, but I suspect the clamping option available to private operators would be available to prevent ICE-ing

Thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭steelboots

As far as I'm aware, its not against the law to park an ICE in a FCP/SCP, and that bye laws would be required. However it is a very ignorant thing to do. It hasn't happened me yet, but if it were possible I would park behind the offending ICE and run my cable in , leaving a note along the lines of you were blocking a charging point, and I need to charge, call me on ..... and I will return to move...".

I do think its a good idea to have a car and put under the windscreen of a car making the ICE owners aware of what their doing, even if you just happen to be passing and spot an offender.

Has anyone ever called a traffic warden/garda if they were ICE'd ?

steelboots wrote: »
    As far as I'm aware, its not against the law to park an ICE in a FCP/SCP, and that bye laws would be required. However it is a very ignorant thing to do. It hasn't happened me yet, but if it were possible I would park behind the offending ICE and run my cable in , leaving a note along the lines of you were blocking a charging point, and I need to charge, call me on ..... and I will return to move...".

I do think its a good idea to have a car and put under the windscreen of a car making the ICE owners aware of what their doing, even if you just happen to be passing and spot an offender.

Has anyone ever called a traffic warden/garda if they were ICE'd ?

you are aware incorrectly I'm afraid , I draw your attention to http://ecouncil.dlrcoco.ie:9071/documents/s36840/Electric%20Vehicle%20Charging%20January%202015.pdf

and the relevant SI.

public spaces that are correctly so labelled can be policed by the local authority in the same way as " commercial only " or disabled spaces etc and fines can be levied for incorrect use by unauthorised users

There have been two issues, one is incorrect signage that does not comply the RM035 and LAs that cant be bothered to enforce usage by handing out fines

This is slowly changing as the spots are being remarked and resigned in various counties

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭steelboots

Ok, but is this a nationwide law or a D n Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council by-law, looks more like a by-law to me.

steelboots wrote: »
    Ok, but is this a nationwide law or a D n Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council by-law, looks more like a by-law to me.

No its an SI , statutory modification to the road traffic acts, thats merely DL page on it.

It actually the law of the land, but it requires LA to act and implement it. Wicklow for example have undertaken to properly mark charge spaces recently as have wexford I believe ( talking to Nissan )

The key issue is that most of the current signage does not meet RM035 and hence the LAs cannot implement the SI

Only in areas where the Co Councils have actually made it illegal, mostly the AC points.

On most fast charge sites, these are private grounds and ICE drivers can park where they like including in front of chargers and it's up to the site owners to enforce.

Only in areas where the Co Councils have actually made it illegal, mostly the AC points.

On most fast charge sites, these are private grounds and ICE drivers can park where they like including in front of chargers and it's up to the site owners to enforce.

Other Co Co are following suit as they get their spaces to comply with the SI. ( wicklow and wexford I believe from what I hear )

There is considerable resistance in Dublin to on street parking of any cars no matter what they are doing

Owen, " on my bike " Keegan is famously " done with cars" when he was Dublins Traffic Tzar a few years back

IEVOA just got a present of some printed windscreen " flyers "

Nice and polite and I've been using them so far. Charger at the Bull ring in wexford completely iced in

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭heliguyheliguy

IEVOA just got a present of some printed windscreen " flyers "

Nice and polite and I've been using them so far. Charger at the Bull ring in wexford completely iced in

Could you publish a pdf of the design that we can print out ourselves?

• Advertisement

Could you publish a pdf of the design that we can print out ourselves?

I'll ask

Advertisement