Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bargain alerts

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Lidl in Tallaght (beside Woodies & range River Mountain). 2 of the one man hiking tents left at €20 and big cans of 'French style ratatouille' for 99 cents, 5 year shelf life!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Lidl have some outdoor gear on 11th Feb.

Rucksacks cheap enough to dedicate as a small stash bag.

Walking poles, boots, various clothing items etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Tactical wrote: »
    Lidl have some outdoor gear on 11th Feb.

Rucksacks cheap enough to dedicate as a small stash bag.

Walking poles, boots, various clothing items etc...

Took a look today, mostly the usual tat we have all seen many many times before but I can recommend a couple of very good items, the sport towels that fold up into their own bag up are really good a bargain for a fiver, the headlamps aren't bad, the small pocket torch is good for map reading and the rucksacks are OK for the money.

Also noticed that Aldi had a good car type first aid kit for a tenner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭hexosan

Anyone ever try the walkie talkies, what are they like

hexosan wrote: »
    Anyone ever try the walkie talkies, what are they like

There are a few people here who have reported on them before. I seem to remember that depending on conditions they got favourable reviews.

What was the price? I might give them a try. They claim 8km range but even half that would be useful but iirc they only really work line of site which is what has always put me off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭hexosan

Think they're €29. Wonder how the batteries would hold up if not used to frequently

my3cents wrote: »
    Took a look today, mostly the usual tat we have all seen many many times before but I can recommend a couple of very good items, the sport towels that fold up into their own bag up are really good a bargain for a fiver, the headlamps aren't bad, the small pocket torch is good for map reading and the rucksacks are OK for the money.

Also noticed that Aldi had a good car type first aid kit for a tenner.

I had a good look at the rucksacks and boots. I gave them a miss. Not sturdy enough for what I'd like to put in them unfortunately and the boots were a little too soft for my preference. I prefer sturdier footware. I nearly always am wearing boots.

Didn't see the sports towels, must give another look.
    Microfiber towels are great. I'm on the road a great deal and find they take up a tiny amount of space, are really absorbant and dry pretty darn quickly. They are not to everyone's taste but I get on just fine with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

With rucksacks and any good gear that you want to last, it's usually a case of "buy cheap - buy twice, Buy once - buy right"

Would not buy a rucksack without an integrated rain cover, comfortable shoulder straps with a chest strap.

The straps were one of the reasons I didn't purchase. Too narrow for comfortable carry of a well packed bag. Fine for normal hiking duty though.

I have a Snugpack bergan as my main travelling bag and its been to hell and back. Comfortable, well constructed. Worth every penny. The detachable "rocket" pouches mean easy configuration depending on my requirements.

Anyhow, this is turning into a gear review and I'm probably taking the thread off topic.

hexosan wrote: »
    Think they're €29. Wonder how the batteries would hold up if not used to frequently

I might give them a try at that price. I don't worry too much about batteries now as I have a monthly charging day when I go around and recharge everything.
    Tactical wrote: »
    Didn't see the sports towels, must give another look.
    Microfiber towels are great. I'm on the road a great deal and find they take up a tiny amount of space, are really absorbant and dry pretty darn quickly. They are not to everyone's taste but I get on just fine with them.

Loads in my local Lidl perhaps 100 or more, lots of colours, everything from a nice tactical grey through to a shocking pink that you'd never loose. At a €5 hard to beat the price.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭ Julius Sour Coupon

I bought the rucksack (12.99 in Germany, a little cheaper), but it's really only for a BOB. I have 2 more rucksacks which are my proper, walking/travelling rucksacks. I don't want to build a BOB from them as they are used quite frequently and the goods I carry with me are somewhat different to what I want to put in my BOB. When I can afford it, I will purchase another bag similar to this which will be my main BOB.

I bought the rucksack (12.99 in Germany, a little cheaper), but it's really only for a BOB. I have 2 more rucksacks which are my proper, walking/travelling rucksacks. I don't want to build a BOB from them as they are used quite frequently and the goods I carry with me are somewhat different to what I want to put in my BOB. When I can afford it, I will purchase another bag similar to this which will be my main BOB.

Thats a perfect use for this sort of Lidl/Aldi stuff. While I'm a brand snob there is still a lot of gear I wouldn't pay serious money for because its just going to be sat doing nothing for a long time (and sat doing nothing indefinitely I hope).

Another item that deserves a mention is the cheap radio that Lidl had this week, it fulfills the need for a radio in a BOB but being a BBC Radio 4 fan I like to have Long Wave as well as FM, MW and some SW frequencies.

After about 5 years of upgrading as better stuff has come my way I have a Lowe Alpine rucksack available for my own BOB that I paid a few euro for in a charity shop. I paid more for the cheap holdall from Tesco that I used to start my BOB with.

Once you have a few decent items, a knife and good multitool would be the top of the list most of what you need can be found in discount stores.

Being prepared with cheap gear along with understanding its limitations is imo far better than not being prepared at all.

Was back in town and nearly bought the Walkie Talkies but had already spent money on other stuff and couldn't really think of a use for them.

Battery wise they just take 3 rechargeable AA cells (or was it AAA?), so you could just keep them going with rechargeable batteries or standard batteries at a push. 3 batteries is a pain though as most chargers take 2 or 4 so you'd probably have to end up charging in the Walkie Talkies themselves if you wanted spares. Was tempted but couldn't even think of someone I could test them with.

Looked again at the rucksacks and really couldn't fault them for the money, €12.99. I didn't like the ones that had the zips but thats just me however I'd be happy enough with the ones with the straps. I noticed they all had that popular gimmick of a built in rain cover. I prefer to make sure everything is packed so it can't get wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Spectreon666

Tesco has a Rolsen 6 in 1 screwdriver for 25 cent - http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=270280749

Also Lidl are doing a decent bow saw for €5.99 - http://www.lidl.ie/en/Offers.htm?action=showDetail&id=36427

Just browsing Amazon.co.uk and got this recommendation Bahco Laplander Folding Saw (396LAP) its free delivery provided you make the order up to £25 and I think its the cheapest price I've seen it in a while.

Although tbh you can get 5 of the cheap Lidl folding saws for the same money so I think I'll be sticking with the el cheapo's for a bit longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭drvr

I was in Dealz in Navan yesterday, and they have some good offers in First Aid bandages/ dressings. Cheap way to bulk up a first aid kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭wolfeye

Some good bargains to be had.

http://ie.sportsdirect.com/flash-sale-nine

• Registered Users Posts: 8,462 ✭✭✭brevity

Some camping stuff coming into Lidl on the 11th.
    http://www.lidl.ie/en/Offers.htm?id=764

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Lidl in Tallaght (beside Woodies & range River Mountain). 2 of the one man hiking tents left at €20 and big cans of 'French style ratatouille' for 99 cents, 5 year shelf life!

Had some of these in store and opened one today, not exactly a survival meal as I had it with steak and chips.

Only opened this one as I dropped the tin when checking stocks for best before dates and thought I might have let air in, still have a couple more cans but will definitely stock up on it when Lidl have it again.

Down side is you get a lot of liquid in the can but good flavour. Use with a meal as veg or to add a bit of body to any soup or stew. Be aware there is a slight aniseed flavour from fennel which might not be to everyone's taste. We eat a lot of home made ratatouille in the summer and no one has ever made it with fennel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭wolfeye

Save 20% when you spend £50 stg or more on camping gear from the selection below when you enter code CAMPING2016 at checkout. Offer ends at 23:59 GMT on May 10, 2016

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/browse.html/ref=pe_2676811_129964331_pe_ecg/?node=9945824031

I noticed in Lidl today that they have their €6.99 car first aid kits. If you need a first aid kit I doubt you will find a better on for less.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Local hardware shop is selling these little folding knives. €3 each, and surprisingly durable.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,001 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Local hardware shop is selling these little folding knives. €3 each, and surprisingly durable.

Location? :)

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Arro hardware stores nationwide, also see them in agri stores, agri machinery dealerships, etc.

Been using them on the farm for 18 months now. Bought 5, one in each tractor, and one in the jeep and one in the bodywarmer.

Nekarsulm wrote: »

I bought 4 a few years back iirc for €2.50, handy little knives I used them in Bug Out Bags.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

might pick up the fancy new self inflating insulated mat at only 20e

http://www.lidl.ie/en/Offers.htm?id=803

davycc wrote: »
    might pick up the fancy new self inflating insulated mat at only 20e

http://www.lidl.ie/en/Offers.htm?id=803

5cm thickness is good. No info on weight or packed size on website.

Solar charger worth a look as well.

Not your ornery onager

Interesting claims on the gas cartridges, didn't really believe them but seems they must be from a Greek Company Coral Gas who have a Internal Leak Limitation system build into their pierceable cartridges.

Internal Leak Limiter for Non-Refillable Metallic Gas Cartridges
    Haritopoulos Panagiotis, Coral Gas AEBEY, Greece
    The paper describes a unique internal leak limiter (ILL) for non-refillable metallic gas cartridges, whose design has been patented and industrialized with excellent results. This ILL restricts and/or stops the release of the pressurized gas (LPG) when the cartridge is disconnected from the appliance or is mounted incorrectly. It operates by exploiting the pressure of the contained gas and the under-pressure generated at the limiter’s upper part. Outflow is then restricted from the container should it be removed from the appliance.
    From https://www.bpnews.com/index.php/publications/magazine/current-issue/519-global-technology-conference-to-highlight-technical-lpg-innovations.

For anyone without a radio stashed away the one this week would be suitable.

• Advertisement

my3cents wrote: »
    Interesting claims on the gas cartridges, didn't really believe them but seems they must be from a Greek Company Coral Gas who have a Internal Leak Limitation system build into their pierceable cartridges
    Didn't spot that, thanks.

Might pick up a few and safely experiment with removing/refitting. Could be handy if you could transfer cartridge between say stove and lantern.

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement