Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wileyfox Swift 4G Dual-SIM Cyanogen OS Smartphone 99£ from Amazon.co.uk

Options
  • 02-05-2016 10:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

With free delivery to ROI

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

civitano wrote: »
    With free delivery to ROI

Link?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭civitano

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    Link?

Performing a search on the Amazon website should not be too tiresome, should it?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭civitano

• Registered Users Posts: 3,321 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Anyone have one of these?
    What are they like?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭murphm45

Anyone have one of these?
    What are they like?

They had it a s party of their lightening deals a few weeks ago and I picked one up. All in all it seems like a decent enough phone and in not disappointed at all. I'll be honest all I use it for is phone calls, messaging and the internet but or does all those admirable. The screen seems decent enough and it's relatively quick. Haven't really used the camera but seems OK to me. I'm getting 2 to 3 days out of the battery but I would be a relatively light user. It feels light so might be fragile and it doesn't catch the charging cable all that well so just something to watch.

Just one FYI on it, it doesn't come with either headphones or a charging plug (it does have a USB cable). Not a big deal I'm sure but it came as a bit of a surprise to me.

OK it's not competition for an s7 or an iPhone but it's definitely good value for the money.

murphm45 wrote: »
    They had it a s party of their lightening deals a few weeks ago and I picked one up. All in all it seems like a decent enough phone and in not disappointed at all. I'll be honest all I use it for is phone calls, messaging and the internet but or does all those admirable. The screen seems decent enough and it's relatively quick. Haven't really used the camera but seems OK to me. I'm getting 2 to 3 days out of the battery but I would be a relatively light user. It feels light so might be fragile and it doesn't catch the charging cable all that well so just something to watch.

Just one FYI on it, it doesn't come with either headphones or a charging plug (it does have a USB cable). Not a big deal I'm sure but it came as a bit of a surprise to me.

OK it's not competition for an s7 or an iPhone but it's definitely good value for the money.

Thanks for that.
    Looking for a cheap phone to do me a few months and most cheaper phones are either clogged up with bloatware(Vodafone) or are really badly speced.
    Actually waiting for the rumoured release (don't laugh) of a Nokia android phone, so this'll do in the meantime

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭CJmasgrande

I ordered this phone two days ago and it arrived today. Using it past hour have to say I'm very impressed so far. Very quick and easy to use

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

They say the camera is so so. How would you rate it?

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭christy02

murphm45 wrote: »

Thanks for that.
    Looking for a cheap phone to do me a few months and most cheaper phones are either clogged up with bloatware(Vodafone) or are really badly speced.
    Actually waiting for the rumoured release (don't laugh) of a Nokia android phone, so this'll do in the meantime

Nokia were bought by Microsoft, hence the Windows effort and subsequently closed. While they still have some manufacturing capabilities I doubt they are releasing an android phone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭murphm45

christy02 wrote: »
    Nokia were bought by Microsoft, hence the Windows effort and subsequently closed. While they still have some manufacturing capabilities I doubt they are releasing an android phone?

Ah that's were you're wrong http://m.gsmarena.com/nokia_c1-6885.php

Technically foxconn are making it, Nokia (or what's left of the company that Microsoft didn't buy) are designing it and licencing other companies to make it. I wonder will it even be realised here though, the n1 tablet was only released in China.

Well obviously, I'm hoping Nokia release it here.
    Been reading about it for the last few weeks and it's due for release in quarter 3-4 this year. Not much hard info about it, but I have faith in Nokia getting back to making good phones again, once the shackles of Microsoft are removed. Going with Windows was a huge mistake by them, hopefully Android brings greater success.
    Anyway, this Wileyfox will hopefully keep me going till then.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭soirish

Same phone is £129 on the official website https://www.wileyfox.com/swift/

Wileyfox Swift specifications

5-inch (1280 x 720 pixels) IPS Fully Laminated display with Corning Gorilla Glass 3 protection
    1.2 GHz Quad-Core 64-bit Qualcomm Snapdragon 410 (MSM8916) processor with Adreno 306 GPU
    2GB RAM, 16GB internal memory, expandable memory up to 32GB with microSD
    Dual SIM
    Cyanogen OS 12.1 based on Android 5.1 (Lollipop)
    13MP rear camera with dual LED Flash, Samsung S5K3M2 sensor
    5MP front-facing camera
    Dimensions: 141.15 x 71 x 9.37 mm; Weight: 135g
    4G LTE, 3G HSPA+, Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n, Bluetooth 4.0, GPS
    3.5mm audio jack, FM Radio
    2500mAh battery

Pros:
    Great screen
    Good camera
    Low price

Cons:
    Sometimes complicated OS
    Uninspired design
    Super bright notification LED

Reviews:
    http://www.techradar.com/reviews/phones/mobile-phones/wileyfox-swift-1302600/review
    http://www.fonearena.com/blog/153704/wileyfox-storm-and-swift-with-5-5-inch-1080p-and-5-inch-hd-displays-cyanogen-os-4g-lte-announced.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭rustledjimmies

soirish wrote: »
    Same phone is £129 on the official website https://www.wileyfox.com/swift/

Wileyfox Storm specifications

Those specs are not for this phone.

Swift / Storm are different phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,347 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Question about the cryogen mod os? How smooth does setting up go in comparison to regular android os. A big + for me is the ease of setting up contacts etc when changing over or updating android phones, is the process as simple with the modified os?

CyanogenMod is stock Android made sweet. It's way more customisable (if you want to dive in making changes) but if there's a stock Android feature you like, rest assured there's a better version of it in CM.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭soirish

Those specs are not for this phone.

Updated the post, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Junglewoman

Thanks OP - I just ordered one

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭eoinfitzokk

CyanogenMod is stock Android made sweet. It's way more customisable (if you want to dive in making changes) but if there's a stock Android feature you like, rest assured there's a better version of it in CM.

I agree. CM13 on Moto E is surprising quick so it's well optimised too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

CyanogenOS is not the same as CyanogenMod! CM is a community effort while CyanogenOS is a commercial project.

Nevertheless it does follow the same general idea, but there night be commercial interests limiting availability of upgrades etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭ooter

Can't seem to find the info in the link, does anyone know what memory is on the phone and can extra memory be added?

ooter wrote: »
    Can't seem to find the info in the link, does anyone know what memory is on the phone and can extra memory be added?

Yes, I know. You can too if you bother using your reading orbs. soirish has helpfully posted the exact answer to your question you lazy sod.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭eoinfitzokk

CyanogenOS is not the same as CyanogenMod! CM is a community effort while CyanogenOS is a commercial project.

Nevertheless it does follow the same general idea, but there night be commercial interests limiting availability of upgrades etc.

Sorry. Yeah the Moto E has nightly updates. Do Wiley care much if you get onto the next CyanogenOs version? Wonder if they are bringing out new CyanogenOs handsets with these reductions.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭basskebab

ooter wrote: »

You can find it on their site
    https://www.wileyfox.com/swift/
    Has 16GB onboard

I have one of these a few weeks now and am really happy with it. Cyanogen allows you to skin the phone with loads of different themes and has none of the usual bloatware other phones come with.

You can also add an SD card for extra storage and use dual sims. Battery is also removable and replaceable. Really nice phone. I changed from a 2nd gen MotoG and it runs much faster.

The only downside is the USB micro charging connector on the phone. It's a bit fiddly and some usb cables that have a short connector head can slip out out easily. The cable that comes with the phone works fine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭ooter

Yes, I know. You can too if you bother using your reading orbs. soirish has helpfully posted the exact answer to your question you lazy sod.

Why bother?
    Thanks basskebab.

basskebab wrote: »
    ...I have one of these a few weeks now and am really happy with it....

How does the camera compare with you other phones

• Registered Users Posts: 15,827 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The only bad thing that I have read on forum posts is problems with their customer service.

Discodog wrote: »
    The only bad thing that I have read on forum posts is problems with their customer service.

Any examples?

I guess as it's through Amazon they are pretty good with returns etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭CJmasgrande

I have a Samsung note 4 for work as nd my new Wileyfox images seem almost as good. I haven't pixel peeped on a PC or anything. Only camera difference I noticed is the front facing camera on the Note is a lot better than the one on Wileyfox.

Advertisement