Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[youtube] God fails to cure baby of blindness

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

King Mob wrote: »
    Welp, there's an option that Akrasia missed.
    Ignore it, pretend it isn't a problem and act like people are crazy/dumb for having an issue with the problem of evil.
    A theodicy is a defence of God's goodness and omnipotence in view of the existence of evil. Such a defence is predicated on the existence of God; without God there is no theodicy. This being the Atheism & Agnosticism forum, I'd suggest proof of God is required prior to there being any reason to defend His goodness and omnipotence in view of the existence of evil. On the Christianity forum there would at least be a starting point for the discussion, since a theodicy is an idea relating to Christianity, per the Charter.

Nothing at all, I'm afraid, to do with any notion that people are crazy/dumb for having an issue with the problem of evil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Mark Tapley

And here I was thinking this discussion might actually go somewhere!

So far what I've taken away from this thread is:

- One very confusing opening post which the poster gave no indication of the point of the video.

- Another poster who engaged in an argument with themselves based upon what they think religious people would say.

- Another poster explains that the original poster was looking for people who are religious to argue with them.

- The OP comes back and demands to be argued with.

- You've come on and declared that you want me to have an epiphany.

- I say I'm fine thanks.

- You insist that I am labouring under some delusion, and when I inquire as to the basis for you holding this belief, you tell me I'm being silly.

I'm not sure what's going on any more! :(

Any more?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,231 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

Absolam wrote: »
    A theodicy is a defence of God's goodness and omnipotence in view of the existence of evil. Such a defence is predicated on the existence of God; without God there is no theodicy. This being the Atheism & Agnosticism forum, I'd suggest proof of God is required prior to there being any reason to defend His goodness and omnipotence in view of the existence of evil. On the Christianity forum there would at least be a starting point for the discussion, since a theodicy is an idea relating to Christianity, per the Charter.

Nothing at all, I'm afraid, to do with any notion that people are crazy/dumb for having an issue with the problem of evil.
    The issue can be treated as a hypothetical, so proof isn't really an issue.
    Many atheists, self include cannot understand how some people are able to consistently address this problem, then when that fails, how they are able to honestly maintain their belief (or justify their dishonesty.) Hence why it is relevant here.

Akrasia gave a fairly thorough and concise run down of the various arguments heard here and why they fall apart.
    No one who is moaning about people's smugness has been able to explain how his run down is unfair or mistaken, or offered an alternative argument that is better than them. (Besides your suggestion that it can be ignored.)

That would make for a good discussion and one that I would like to see and engage in. However experience makes me agree with Akrasia, that no theist will do so.
    Yourself and Jack seem more interested in pointing out how smug everyone is without actually offering anything of substance. Which is a shame.

The issue can be treated as a hypothetical, so proof isn't really an issue. Many atheists, self include cannot understand how some people are able to consistently address this problem, then when that fails, how they are able to honestly maintain their belief (or justify their dishonesty.) Hence why it is relevant here.
    If we treat the existance of God as hypothetically true, is it not the case that the discussion is no longer relevent to the A&A forum? Even so, Akrasia abandoned that hypothetical pretty quickly; "God doesn't exist", and I suspect that's the way any such discussion is likely to go tbh.
    Akrasia gave a fairly thorough and concise run down of the various arguments heard here and why they fall apart.
    No one who is moaning about people's smugness has been able to explain how his run down is unfair or mistaken, or offered an alternative argument that is better than them. (Besides your suggestion that it can be ignored.)
    Well, he certainly gave his opinion of what some of those arguments might be, with suspiciously convenient rebuttals, though I'm not convinced any of them came close to a case for a substantive theodicy. Still, I think if you actually want the real arguments, you need someone who believes them to present them as they believe them, rather than as Akrasia wants them to be seen. Arguing against and roundly defeating your own version of an argument no one else is presenting smacks of onanism to my mind... Posting each argument in Christianity on the other hand might allow posters who are interested to offer their own version of the argument, and engage with the subject matter in it's context.
    That would make for a good discussion and one that I would like to see and engage in. However experience makes me agree with Akrasia, that no theist will do so.
    Experience suggests any poster who presents an argument founded on the existence of God in A&A will quickly be told their foundation is unacceptable without proof, which means you're unlikely to see such a discussion in this forum. And since such a discussion in Christianity would preclude the use of arguments such as "There is no God, therefore..." or "The Bible is full of contradictions, therefore..." and would admit the argument of ineffability, it's not likely to be the good discussion you want.
    Yourself and Jack seem more interested in pointing out how smug everyone is without actually offering anything of substance. Which is a shame.
    I think you're mistaken, I haven't pointed out anyone being smug. I've pointed out that there's a bit of credential waving reinforcement attention seeking from the peer group by a couple of posters, but I don't think they were smug about it. Sure what would they have to be smug about?

If we treat the existance of God as hypothetically true, is it not the case that the discussion is no longer relevent to the A&A forum? Even so, Akrasia abandoned that hypothetical pretty quickly; "God doesn't exist", and I suspect that's the way any such discussion is likely to go tbh.
    You can still hold to a hypothetical for the sake of argument while also stating that you don:t actually accept the hypothetical is true.
    That's kinda the point of a hypothetical isn't it?
    Well, he certainly gave his opinion of what some of those arguments might be, with suspiciously convenient rebuttals, though I'm not convinced any of them came close to a case for a substantive theodicy.
    Can you point out where he's being unfair or misrepresenting anyone?
    Can you show how his summaries of the various arguments are not accurate to ones people propose?
    Can you detail a different stronger argument that he has not covered ?
    Can you explain how his rebuttals are incorrect?
    Can you propose your own argument?

If not, why are you not convinced of either the presented arguments or their rebuttals?
    Still, I think if you actually want the real arguments, you need someone who believes them to present them as they believe them, rather than as Akrasia wants them to be seen. Arguing against and roundly defeating your own version of an argument no one else is presenting smacks of onanism to my mind... Posting each argument in Christianity on the other hand might allow posters who are interested to offer their own version of the argument, and engage with the subject matter in it's context.
    But people have explained why they prefer such arguments here over the christianity forum. Also they have explained how their experience shows that no believers are willing to address these arguments.
    Experience suggests any poster who presents an argument founded on the existence of God in A&A will quickly be told their foundation is unacceptable without proof, which means you're unlikely to see such a discussion in this forum. And since such a discussion in Christianity would preclude the use of arguments such as "There is no God, therefore..." or "The Bible is full of contradictions, therefore..." and would admit the argument of ineffability, it's not likely to be the good discussion you want.
    None of the counter arguments that Akarisa has purposed rely on there being no god. If any believe made a point that was entirely dependent on the assumed premise of a god, then this would indeed be pointed out as a flaw.

Again you are pretending as if a hypothetical discussion is impossible. Why?
    I think you're mistaken, I haven't pointed out anyone being smug. I've pointed out that there's a bit of credential waving reinforcement attention seeking from the peer group by a couple of posters, but I don't think they were smug about it. Sure what would they have to be smug about?
    Sounds pretty much the same really.
    Why exactly are you pointing this out?
    Would the discussion not be better served by addressing the points of the posts?

• Advertisement

You can still hold to a hypothetical for the sake of argument while also stating that you don:t actually accept the hypothetical is true. That's kinda the point of a hypothetical isn't it?
    Not really; if the hypothetical is the basis for the existence of the argument, then removing the basis for the argument removes the argument. If the hypothetical cannot be held to be true and unassailable throughout, there's no point in the argument.
    Can you point out where he's being unfair or misrepresenting anyone? Can you show how his summaries of the various arguments are not accurate to ones people propose? Can you detail a different stronger argument that he has not covered ? Can you explain how his rebuttals are incorrect? Can you propose your own argument? If not, why are you not convinced of either the presented arguments or their rebuttals?
    Tut tut... that's more than a little unfair, I never said any of those things about his arguments! I said he gave his opinion of what some of those arguments might be, with suspiciously convenient rebuttals, though I'm not convinced any of them came close to a case for a substantive theodicy. Since Akrasia said they're the best arguments apologists can think of, I think it's up to Akrasia to demonstrate that they actually are arguments apologists think of, don't you?
    But people have explained why they prefer such arguments here over the christianity forum. Also they have explained how their experience shows that no believers are willing to address these arguments.
    Which has resulted in them presenting the arguments as they see them, and rebutting their own argument in their post. Arguably they appear to be expressing a preference for arguments they can't lose because no one is interested in participating with them :)
    None of the counter arguments that Akarisa has purposed rely on there being no god. If any believe made a point that was entirely dependent on the assumed premise of a god, then this would indeed be pointed out as a flaw.
    Theodicy itself relies on the assumed premise of a God.
    Again you are pretending as if a hypothetical discussion is impossible. Why?
    Because, as you've pointed out; "If any believe made a point that was entirely dependent on the assumed premise of a god, then this would indeed be pointed out as a flaw", and as I said, "Theodicy itself relies on the assumed premise of a God.".
    Sounds pretty much the same really. Why exactly are you pointing this out?
    Because you said Jack and I seem more interested in pointing out how smug everyone is; I obviously didn't know at the time I replied that smug and attention seeking sounded pretty much the same to you.
    Would the discussion not be better served by addressing the points of the posts?
    I have to say I doubt it; Akrasia is already triumphantly dismissing his own points so I don't see how anyone else getting involved is much use.

Not really; if the hypothetical is the basis for the existence of the argument, then removing the basis for the argument removes the argument.
    People have hypothetical arguments all the time. It can be argued quite thoroughly and verbosely whether or not Gotham City is better off with the Batman. Neither Gotham nor Batman exist, but that does not stop the discussions.
    It may raise the question of the ultimate point of them, but people ask what's the point a theology degrees too.
    Tut tut... that's more than a little unfair, I never said any of those things about his arguments! I said he gave his opinion of what some of those arguments might be, with suspiciously convenient rebuttals, though I'm not convinced any of them came close to a case for a substantive theodicy. Since Akrasia said they're the best arguments apologists can think of, I think it's up to Akrasia to demonstrate that they actually are arguments they present, don't you?
    Given that I have seen all of these arguments presented before, I think that his summations are fair and accurate. They are just trimmed of the rhetoric and fluff usually accompanying them.
    Unless you, or someone else can show that he is being unfair...?
    Or perhaps present an argument that he didn't list...?

You did not explain why you are unconvinced. Could you please detail this?
    Theodicy itself relies on the assumed premise of a God.

Because, as you've pointed out; "If any believe made a point that was entirely dependent on the assumed premise of a god, then this would indeed be pointed out as a flaw", and as I said, "Theodicy itself relies on the assumed premise of a God.".
    You are misunderstanding me. I said that if a point is entirely dependant on the assumed premise, then it would be shown as such and why it is a fallacy. For example the argument "God is good. If god exists, therefore god is good. QED" Has the assumed premise that god is good. This would be pointed out and explained as such while still in the context of the hypothetical.

However this is a moot point as neither the arguments outlined, nor the rebuttals actually rely on these premises and can be discussed in the context of a hypothetical.

Are you interested in actual discussion or would you prefer to stick to pointing out how people are smug/attention seeking/whatever?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭xz

You got all that from a baby needing glasses..wow. Apart from the video never mentioning once that he was blind , your schoolboy error was a lower case "g" for God.

If you don't believe in God, the use of the lower case "g" is irrelevant.

People have hypothetical arguments all the time. It can be argued quite thoroughly and verbosely whether or not Gotham City is better off with the Batman. Neither Gotham nor Batman exist, but that does not stop the discussions. It may raise the question of the ultimate point of them, but people ask what's the point a theology degrees too.
    Nevertheless, the discussion comes to a sudden halt once a participants points out that it cannot be demonstrated that Gotham is better off with the Batman, because there's no evidence for their existence.
    Given that I have seen all of these arguments presented before, I think that his summations are fair and accurate. They are just trimmed of the rhetoric and fluff usually accompanying them. Unless you, or someone else can show that he is being unfair...? Or perhaps present an argument that he didn't list...? You did not explain why you are unconvinced. Could you please detail this?
    That you have seen Akrasias arguments presented before doesn't actually mean they're the arguments of apologists though, does it? Nor less that they are a case for a substantive theodicy. To know whether he's being unfair, I think he'd need to show us the originals.
    I'm unconvinced by his arguments in the first place because they seem, for want of a better term, half-arsed. For instance "Free will" in and of itself is not an argument; it's barely a statement. I'm unconvinced of his rebuttals because they're based on his arguments.
    But if you find them convincing feel free to argue them :)
    You are misunderstanding me. I said that if a point is entirely dependant on the assumed premise, then it would be shown as such and why it is a fallacy. For example the argument "God is good. If god exists, therefore god is good. QED" Has the assumed premise that god is good. This would be pointed out and explained as such while still in the context of the hypothetical.
    I'm not. A theodicy is a defence of God; it is entirely dependant on the premise that God exists. If it may be admitted that God does not exist, then there is no theodicy, as there is nothing to defend.
    However this is a moot point as neither the arguments outlined, nor the rebuttals actually rely on these premises and can be discussed in the context of a hypothetical.
    You'd have to take that up with Bristolscale7; he's the one who said he wanted a discussion about theodicy. He also seems to disagree as to what the most common arguments are.
    Are you interested in actual discussion or would you prefer to stick to pointing out how people are smug/attention seeking/whatever?
    Oh I love actual discussions. People showing off how they can dismiss their own arguments though... it's not really a discussion, is it? A discussion of a theodicy presented by someone well versed in it with the assurance that it wouldn't simply be dead-ended by the existence of God might be interesting, but let's be honest, we've kept this thread going five pages now and no one has yet jumped in to proclaim the attractiveness of the Irenaean theodicy over other arguably less orthodox yet compellingly complex theodicies, like the degree of desirability of a conscious state theodicy. Nor do I think anyone is likely to; I suspect anyone truly interested in such things has no real reason to be interested in what an atheist might think about them.

Nevertheless, the discussion comes to a sudden halt once a participants points out that it cannot be demonstrated that Gotham is better off with the Batman, because there's no evidence for their existence.
    But if the discussion is held as a hypothetical, like Akraisas rebuttals do, then it can be shown that the arguments fall apart and dont work in the context of the hypothetical. All such arguments do without need to rely on the fact that god doesnt exist.
    That you have seen Akrasias arguments presented before doesn't actually mean they're the arguments of apologists though, does it? Nor less that they are a case for a substantive theodicy. To know whether he's being unfair, I think he'd need to show us the originals.
    I have seen these arguments from apologists before. I wager you have heard similar as well. Further, many of them are just the easiest to think of.

Again, if you think that he is being unfair, you could show as much to start a discussion.
    I'm unconvinced by his arguments in the first place because they seem, for want of a better term, half-arsed. For instance "Free will" in and of itself is not an argument; it's barely a statement.
    Again, as I said, he just cut off a lot of fluff and pomp. And this is just short hand for a very very common argument that you probably heard before.

Have you seen these arguments presented in a different, more complete and convincing way? If so, why not detail these?
    I'm unconvinced of his rebuttals because they're based on his arguments.
    But if you find them convincing feel free to argue them :)
    Again, you could easily demonstrate the flaws in his arguments or address the rhetoric questions.
    I'm not. A theodicy is a defence of God; it is entirely dependant on the premise that God exists. If it may be admitted that God does not exist, then there is no theodicy, as there is nothing to defend.
    You are. Purposefully I'm beginning to suspect.
    The problem of evil can be discussed as a hypothetical. It can fall down on it:s own merits before invoking gods existence. Similarly some people might try to use other flawed assumed premises and these cause be shown to be fallacious without invoking gods non-existence.

Experience of posters here, in the Christianity forum and elsewhere is that these issues raised by the problem of evil are either badly explained or ignored.
    Have you ever seen a theodicy thats held up to scrutiny?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

You appear to have mistaken my confusion for an accusation that other posters were being smug. I never thought nor suggested any such thing of anyone else. I simply find the whole premise of this thread and the behaviour of some posters, quite bizarre. For example as I pointed out above, there's quite a list -

- One very confusing opening post which the poster gave no indication of the point of the video.

- Another poster who engaged in an argument with themselves based upon what they think religious people would say.

- Another poster explains that the original poster was looking for people who are religious to argue with them.

- I say I'm fine thanks.

- You insist that I am labouring under some delusion, and when I inquire as to the basis for you holding this belief, you tell me I'm being silly.

In response to that, all I got was "Any more?"

I think that's enough to be going ahead with really. I'm just not sure what to make of it is all. I enjoy the Atheism and Agnosticism forum because it's the last place one would be expected to be more expressive about their personal religious beliefs, given the number of times it's been pointed out how annoying it is to people who are atheist when people who are religious express their personal religious beliefs.

Yet apparently, the OP demands that people who are religious should argue with them! I find that to be the behaviour of a martyr tbh, that they demand persecution. It's just not something I do, and I don't encourage such behaviour. It's the height of arrogance IMO. If the OP still wants to martyr themselves, there's the Christianity forum for that sort of behaviour.

But if the discussion is held as a hypothetical, like Akraisas rebuttals do, then it can be shown that the arguments fall apart and dont work in the context of the hypothetical. All such arguments do without need to rely on the fact that god doesnt exist.
    I can't say I see anything in Akrasias points about the hypothetical existance of God. I do note however, the statement "God doesn't exist.
    This answer is 100% consistent with all of our observations and natural processes explain all 'natural evil' with zero contradictions" which seems a little at odds with the idea of his rebuttals holding Gods existance as a hypothetical. Don't you think?
    I have seen these arguments from apologists before. I wager you have heard similar as well. Further, many of them are just the easiest to think of. Again, if you think that he is being unfair, you could show as much to start a discussion.
    That still doesn't give me any visibility of the original arguments, does it? Only your assurance that you agree with Akrasia.
    Again, as I said, he just cut off a lot of fluff and pomp. And this is just short hand for a very very common argument that you probably heard before. Have you seen these arguments presented in a different, more complete and convincing way? If so, why not detail these?
    Why not simply present the original arguments?
    Again, you could easily demonstrate the flaws in his arguments or address the rhetoric questions.
    Possibly, but why, when I'm not persuaded they're even arguments in the first place?
    You are. Purposefully I'm beginning to suspect.
    The problem of evil can be discussed as a hypothetical. It can fall down on it:s own merits before invoking gods existence. Similarly some people might try to use other flawed assumed premises and these cause be shown to be fallacious without invoking gods non-existence.
    No, I'm not. But yes, purposefully pointing out the fundamental issue with your proposition. 'The problem of evil' could be discussed as a hypothetical, but a theodicy involves a deity as well; are you proposing only a discussion of the problem of evil without a deity being involved? That doesn't seem to be the route Akrasia was going down...
    Experience of posters here, in the Christianity forum and elsewhere is that these issues raised by the problem of evil are either badly explained or ignored. Have you ever seen a theodicy thats held up to scrutiny?
    That may be true, though I'm not sure it's in any way significant. Still, I suspect there's more engagement to be had on the subject in a forum that doesn't reject the very foundation of the argument.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Still, I suspect there's more engagement to be had on the subject in a forum that doesn't reject the very foundation of the argument.
    You'll find plenty of agreement in other forums which accept that various "mysteries", contradictions, inconsistencies, logical leaps and chasms of understanding, woolly language and meaningless prose are normal, and sometimes necessary, parts of any explanation for some alleged phenomenon or property.

Things tend to be a little more strict around here, so simply waving one's hands, producing some highflown prose, and expecting belief to dawn like the first day of spring tends not to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Bristolscale7

Theodicy is a crux issue. I frankly don't see how anyone but the simple-minded can profess belief in God without reflecting on it. It's been a topic treated by Christian writers for centuries and arguably some of the best writing by religious thinkers deals with this issue--e.g. Dostoevsky.

robindch wrote: »
    You'll find plenty of agreement in other forums which accept that various "mysteries", contradictions, inconsistencies, logical leaps and chasms of understanding, woolly language and meaningless prose are normal, and sometimes necessary, parts of any explanation for some alleged phenomenon or property.
    That's (kind of) my point.
    Things tend to be a little more strict around here, so simply waving one's hands, producing some highflown prose, and expecting belief to dawn like the first day of spring tends not to work.
    Though with all credit to rose tints, that strictness is observed I think more in the breach when the hand waving is in time with the gestalt....

• Registered Users Posts: 22,361 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

We actually do get some great discussions going in here, but my personal religious beliefs, I prefer to keep them to myself.

Confessions of a closed mind. You like your beliefs and don't want them to be scrutinised or challenged. That's fine, you can do that if you like, but recognise that it is a closed mind on this issue.

You don't get to criticise my analysis of the theodicy debate without providing an argument for why I'm wrong. Earlier you said this

"Simply because someone is a theist or a conservative is no indication that being closed-minded is an intrinsic trait. Look at how Akrasia came up with and refuted arguments all by themselves because they believed that's what theists would say! If that's not the definition of closed minded, as though theists are of a hive mind, then I'm really not sure what to tell you."

I never implied that there is a 'hive mind' I didn't suggest that every religious person holds all of these positions in common, I was just listing and responding to the arguments that I have encountered from theists in the past. I'm not arguing with myself, I was summarising my perspective on the wider debate. If I was wrong on any of the points I made, I welcome discussion, but implying that I misrepresent your views while not actually telling us what your views are is not a positive contribution to the discussion.

I'm more than happy to defend my positions or admit that I'm wrong if I'm presented with an argument or evidence.

And here I was thinking this discussion might actually go somewhere!

- I say I'm fine thanks.

You left out the poster who spends his/her time strenuously defending his/her right to not hold any position at all, while criticising everyone else for theirs

No, I don't Bristolscale7, and I have to say, I can't think of a compelling reason why I would. Perhaps you can explain your own preoccupation with it (rather than setting forth what you think are other peoples views in order to demonstrate your ability to argue against your own points); if it has any merit then perhaps you'll pique my interest. Though I'm not making any guarantees...
    You genuinely can't think of a compelling reason to question why an all powerful, all knowing, all loving being would allow/cause innocent people to suffer horrendously for no apparent reason?

You can't see the contradiction?

I think this is a failure with your own imagination

Akrasia wrote: »
    You left out the poster who spends his/her time strenuously defending his/her right to not hold any position at all, while criticising everyone else for theirs

If it's the poster I'm thinking of who does that, then it wouldn't be fair to refer to them in the discussion when they haven't contributed to it.

Confessions of a closed mind. You like your beliefs and don't want them to be scrutinised or challenged. That's fine, you can do that if you like, but recognise that it is a closed mind on this issue.

I scrutinise and challenge my beliefs all the time, I wouldn't say constantly, but regularly enough, things happen to make me question my beliefs. I'm very open-minded in that regard. It's the idea of other people wanting to question me on my beliefs that I have a problem with. I don't see any reason why they should need to do that, and I don't see any reason why I should engage in justifying my beliefs to anyone else but myself. I would say the same to anyone - that they don't have to justify their beliefs or lack/absence of belief to me either.

You don't get to criticise my analysis of the theodicy debate without providing an argument for why I'm wrong. Earlier you said this

"Simply because someone is a theist or a conservative is no indication that being closed-minded is an intrinsic trait. Look at how Akrasia came up with and refuted arguments all by themselves because they believed that's what theists would say! If that's not the definition of closed minded, as though theists are of a hive mind, then I'm really not sure what to tell you."

I never implied that there is a 'hive mind' I didn't suggest that every religious person holds all of these positions in common, I was just listing and responding to the arguments that I have encountered from theists in the past. I'm not arguing with myself, I was summarising my perspective on the wider debate. If I was wrong on any of the points I made, I welcome discussion, but implying that I misrepresent your views while not actually telling us what your views are is not a positive contribution to the discussion.

I'm more than happy to defend my positions or admit that I'm wrong if I'm presented with an argument or evidence.

I wasn't at all criticising your analysis, I made an observation that you appeared to be arguing with yourself, given that you said yourself that your post was a pre-rebuttal of what religious people would argue. Well, you were never going to be wrong in that case then, and I simply saw no point in contradicting you if that's what made you happy.

At least that's one step on from the OP who doesn't appear happy at all that they aren't being persecuted for their absence/lack of belief. If they are to have an epiphany, I'd rather they came to it themselves, rather than me taking it upon myself to persecute and proselytise to them.

If it didn't happen, I wouldn't call them simple minded or closed minded for at least allowing for the possibility of the impossible.

• Advertisement

You genuinely can't think of a compelling reason to question why an all powerful, all knowing, all loving being would allow/cause innocent people to suffer horrendously for no apparent reason?
    I think you need to establish the facts before I decide whether there's any reason to speculate on the motives.
    You can't see the contradiction?
    Well, I can see the word 'apparent' lurking like an iceberg in there, and it looks like it could sink the whole thing, but I do think that if you work at it you could create an apparent contradiction? I mean so far it looks like you're making the whole thing up, so it shouldn't be beyond you.
    I think this is a failure with your own imagination
    I don't think you do, I think you're just saying that because you're trying to be mean. You can probably do better.

I'm unconvinced by his arguments in the first place because they seem, for want of a better term, half-arsed. For instance "Free will" in and of itself is not an argument; it's barely a statement. I'm unconvinced of his rebuttals because they're based on his arguments.
    Finally, some engagement

Firstly I find it hard to believe that you don't know what i mean when i referenced 'free will', but in more detail, it is the argument that God doesn't intervene to prevent harm to innocents because it would violate someone's free will.

Alvin Plantinga is a famous proponent of this defence of god
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alvin_Plantinga%27s_free_will_defense
    but it ignores the 'natural evil' There are plenty of examples where god could intervene to prevent harm and suffering without violating anyone's free will.

God could easily divert that proton released in that supernova that causes a mutation in the DNA in the egg that causes the baby to be born blind without affecting anyone's free will. If he is all powerful and knowing, then is capable of making this happen, so the contradiction is that he chooses not to, and this conflicts with his 'all loving' nature.

Please can you put forward a defence for why god allows/causes this to happen

I'm not. A theodicy is a defence of God; it is entirely dependant on the premise that God exists.
    A theodicy is actually a justification for why god permits evil. It's slightly different to a defence, which denies that god permits evil, and instead tries to argue that everything god does is good. If it may be admitted that God does not exist, then there is no theodicy, as there is nothing to defend.
    You'd have to take that up with Bristolscale7; he's the one who said he wanted a discussion about theodicy. He also seems to disagree as to what the most common arguments are.
    Oh I love actual discussions. People showing off how they can dismiss their own arguments though... it's not really a discussion, is it? A discussion of a theodicy presented by someone well versed in it with the assurance that it wouldn't simply be dead-ended by the existence of God might be interesting, but let's be honest, we've kept this thread going five pages now and no one has yet jumped in to proclaim the attractiveness of the Irenaean theodicy over other arguably less orthodox yet compellingly complex theodicies, like the degree of desirability of a conscious state theodicy. Nor do I think anyone is likely to; I suspect anyone truly interested in such things has no real reason to be interested in what an atheist might think about them.

Are you a pre-suppositionalist by any chance?

I can't say I see anything in Akrasias points about the hypothetical existance of God. I do note however, the statement

...which seems a little at odds with the idea of his rebuttals holding Gods existance as a hypothetical. Don't you think?
    You have misinterpreted again.
    He was giving a list of separate possible solutions to the problem of evil and a deity. Several of them where ones often proposed by apologists. One of those was one that he felt was a better explanation.

Did any of the believer arguments or counters beyond the final one rely on the existence or non-existence of god?
    That still doesn't give me any visibility of the original arguments, does it? Only your assurance that you agree with Akrasia.
    Why not simply present the original arguments?

Possibly, but why, when I'm not persuaded they're even arguments in the first place?
    These arguments are pretty evident to anyone who spends any time listening to apologists. I'm convinced to my satisfaction that they are fair but terse summations of the vast majority of arguments.

If you would like to explain why they are wrong or unfair, or you want to propose a different, more convincing argument that was not mentioned...
    Otherwise, I'm not convinced your objection is anything more than pedantry.
    No, I'm not. But yes, purposefully pointing out the fundamental issue with your proposition. 'The problem of evil' could be discussed as a hypothetical, but a theodicy involves a deity as well; are you proposing only a discussion of the problem of evil without a deity being involved? That doesn't seem to be the route Akrasia was going down...
    Again, a deliberate misunderstanding.
    I am saying, and have said clearly, that it is possible to have a discussion on theodicy with the hypothetical assumption that god exists. And that all such arguments that purport to reconcile a loving all powerful god with natural evil all fail on their own merits without having to evoke god's nonexistence.

Akrasia's post does a good job of demonstrating this by illustrating how it happens to common theist arguments .

Have you ever seen a theodicy that's held up to scrutiny?
    That may be true, though I'm not sure it's in any way significant. Still, I suspect there's more engagement to be had on the subject in a forum that doesn't reject the very foundation of the argument.
    Why do you say that? Your own experience?

You appear to have mistaken my confusion for an accusation that other posters were being smug. I never thought nor suggested any such thing of anyone else. I simply find the whole premise of this thread and the behaviour of some posters, quite bizarre. For example as I pointed out above, there's quite a list -

- I say I'm fine thanks.

In response to that, all I got was "Any more?"

I think that's enough to be going ahead with really. I'm just not sure what to make of it is all. I enjoy the Atheism and Agnosticism forum because it's the last place one would be expected to be more expressive about their personal religious beliefs, given the number of times it's been pointed out how annoying it is to people who are atheist when people who are religious express their personal religious beliefs.

Yet apparently, the OP demands that people who are religious should argue with them! I find that to be the behaviour of a martyr tbh, that they demand persecution. It's just not something I do, and I don't encourage such behaviour. It's the height of arrogance IMO. If the OP still wants to martyr themselves, there's the Christianity forum for that sort of behaviour.

Delusion one is your belief in god. Delusion two is your view of yourself as a humble man. Delusion three is that you think your posting history does not give an insight into your character. I know mine does and sometimes it can be an unpleasant mirror to look in. I give myself more free rein on the Internet to say what I really think. Is it being honest or am I being an arsėhole.
    At times you seem to conveniently pick and chose what you understand and what you don't.

Delusion one is your belief in god. Delusion two is your view of yourself as a humble man. Delusion three is that you think your posting history does not give an insight into your character. I know mine does and sometimes it can be an unpleasant mirror to look in. I give myself more free rein on the Internet to say what I really think. Is it being honest or am I being an arsėhole.
    At times you seem to conveniently pick and chose what you understand and what you don't.

That's you though, all about you. Because we're not the same person, you have no evidence to assume that other people think the same way as you do, or that they behave in the same way as you do. It's that same sort of assumption that causes some people to believe that they can generalise whole groups of people in the same fashion, and depending upon how strongly they appear to hold that belief, you have to ask yourself - why would I bother?

Sometimes, for me personally anyway, it just isn't worth attacking people's delusions. They're happy, they're not harming or interfering with anyone - leave them off. I'm not suggesting it works for everyone - some people are only happy when they're being persecuted, or when they're persecuting others, and it's only when people are persecuting others that I feel it necessary to point out that it's a horrible thing to do to another person.

That's you though, all about you. Because we're not the same person, you have no evidence to assume that other people think the same way as you do, or that they behave in the same way as you do. It's that same sort of assumption that causes some people to believe that they can generalise whole groups of people in the same fashion, and depending upon how strongly they appear to hold that belief, you have to ask yourself - why would I bother?

Sometimes, for me personally anyway, it just isn't worth attacking people's delusions. They're happy, they're not harming or interfering with anyone - leave them off. I'm not suggesting it works for everyone - some people are only happy when they're being persecuted, or when they're persecuting others, and it's only when people are persecuting others that I feel it necessary to point out that it's a horrible thing to do to another person.

You really don't have any self awareness do you. Or comprehension of words for that matter. You hear what suits you and reply to your own inner monologue. I gave you an opening to be human and you self righteously declined.

You really don't have any self awareness do you.

How the hell would I know? :pac:

Seriously though, as I am a sentient life form, and clearly capable at some level of communication with, and understanding the world around me, I am therefore at least self-aware on some level.

Maybe I'm just not getting what you're trying to say, because you're not saying a whole lot, which leaves a whole lot up to interpretation on my part. This is the same issue I had with the opening post - they didn't give a whole lot to the discussion, but they expect so much more in return. I'm nearly certain that's not the way a discussion works, certainly none that any good can come out of anyway.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

That's (kind of) my point.
    Your points are frequently veiled in so much obfuscatory prose and densely worded argumentation, that it's often close to impossible to figure out what these points might possibly be, let alone what, in fact, they are.

Thoughts, sentences and posts - like jokes - work best when they're short and to the point.

How the hell would I know? :pac:

Seriously though, as I am a sentient life form, and clearly capable at some level of communication with, and understanding the world around me, I am therefore at least self-aware on some level

I'm afraid in my view this is debatable. You view posts through the haze of your own inner monologue making coherent conversation impossible. Are you being purposefully obtuse or has there been an infusion of porridge in the old grey matter?

• Advertisement

You really don't have any self awareness do you. Or comprehension of words for that matter. You hear what suits you and reply to your own inner monologue. I gave you an opening to be human and you self righteously declined.

Sorry, I realised you edited your post while I was writing mine. Yes I have difficulty with comprehension, but no, I think you're being unfair to suggest that I only hear what suits me and reply to an inner monologue. I didn't decline anything though either self-righteously or otherwise because I wasn't aware of the opportunity you were giving me.

Advertisement