Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What to buy.. OAP, short journeys, high driving position

Options
  • 20-03-2016 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,
    My parents are looking at changing their elegance 2010 1.6 diesel octavia. They are looking at something with a higher driving position. Also thinking petrol due to the distances they travel. I'm also trying to get them to look at an automatic. I think their budget would be about 10k on top of trade in value of the octavia. The octavia has 140k km on it. They bought it as demo car from garage and it had 40k km on it so they have put 100k on it in 5 years
    Suggestions?
    Thanks
    Mick
    P. S they looking at a diesel Opel meriva but I'm not sure if it would suit them. They like the seat height and the level boot for access

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Kia Venga

• Registered Users Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭micks_address

I'm actually looking at the Honda hrv.. In petrol 1.5 litre 130bhp... 23395

If they could get a could trade in on the octavia might be a runner. The petrol Honda be pretty much bullet proof. I havent sat in the hrv but it's meant to be decent spacious wise.

I'll talk to Honda dealer in morning.

Anyone hazard a guess at value of red 105bhp diesel 2010 elegance spec with 140k km on the clock?
    Cheers,
    Mick

• Registered Users Posts: 9,545 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Left field answer: Nissan Leaf ticks all those boxes and will cost pennies to run. Doors open very wide too.

Left field answer: Nissan Leaf ticks all those boxes and will cost pennies to run. Doors open very wide too.

I did suggest that to my dad... Hard enough to get him away from diesel...

I did suggest that to my dad... Hard enough to get him away from diesel...

Plus a tow bar is compulsory...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭Neilw

Skoda yeti dsg?

Neilw wrote: »
    Skoda yeti dsg?

He seems to have taken a dislike to skoda

• Registered Users Posts: 6,680 ✭✭✭flutered

Plus a tow bar is compulsory...

tow bar new is 175, fitted 230

flutered wrote: »
    tow bar new is 175, fitted 230

On what?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,201 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

What about the new Suzuki Vitara?

There is a Suzuki dealer in Charlestown, Mayo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

ASX are coming well specced in petrol, Vitara and Yeti also.

My mother has a new Yeti TSI. It's her second and they've been great

• Registered Users Posts: 6,680 ✭✭✭flutered

On what?
    my meriva

So I talked to Honda dealer and they getting three hrv in June.. All diesel.. Full allocation for rest of year. Shame as I reckon the petrol hrv fit the criteria perfectly

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Matthewjohn

How about a Nissan Note?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

So I talked to Honda dealer and they getting three hrv in June.. All diesel.. Full allocation for rest of year. Shame as I reckon the petrol hrv fit the criteria perfectly

Have a look at Toyota C-HR. It will arrive at the end of the year, but it suit your case perfectly...

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Zurbaran

Ring around other dealers if that's the car you want. Also consider the CX3.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭crossvilla

My Dad is 80 and has Qashqai with tow bar ... loves it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Ford B-Max, Citroen C4 Cactus, Peugeot 2008, Renault Capture or a Fiat 500X . All lovely cars all well worth a look. Surly one or more of them companies sell them cars here with a petrol engine. Mazda CX3 is another and it is a really good looking car with a very nice interior indeed.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,871 ✭✭✭Soarer

Yaris Hybrid.

Yaris doesn't have a high driving position though.

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote: »

Yep... apparently there 2 or maybe 3 petrol hrvs in the country but only in the mid spec which puts the price of the car at 28250... the diesel equiv is 2k more.. the entry spec if available would have probably come in at less than 25k with delivery and related charges...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I would try the Yeti.

What about the Ford EcoSport? It's basically a Fiesta with a high driving position, not the prettiest looking but might do the job. Available with the 1.0 litre petrol turbo Ecoboost engine.

What about the Ford EcoSport? It's basically a Fiesta with a high driving position, not the prettiest looking but might do the job. Available with the 1.0 litre petrol turbo Ecoboost engine.
    My elderly mother (she'd shoot me for saying that about her) looked at one and loved it right up until I opened the boot and asked her to close it. With the tyre attached to it it's very heavy.

Ms

The Yaris Verso does do but I don,t no why you would buy one when most of the other cars mentioned are so much better.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Ms

ba_barabus wrote: »
    My elderly mother (she'd shoot me for saying that about her) looked at one and loved it right up until I opened the boot and asked her to close it. With the tyre attached to it it's very heavy.

Be glad unless she was getting a really good deal they are a terrible car the Ecosport and a silly name too. A lame attempt by Ford. This car is a car developed for developing markets like Brazil,India and Russia.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

AMKC wrote: »
    Be glad unless she was getting a really good deal they are a terrible car the Ecosport and a silly name too. A lame attempt by Ford. This car is a car developed for developing markets like Brazil,India and Russia.

It was considerably cheaper but yes the cost cutting was too obvious

• Registered Users Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Don't know much about cars but when buying a new Hyundai recently I sat into the ix20 in the showroom. Don't know if it's around the budget/size you wanted but it has a high driving position and was very nice inside - dash etc. Decent warranty on them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭JC 3.14159

Try a Nissan Note maybe? Not too expensive to buy or run. My in-laws have one and find it perfect.

Remember there's a difference between a high driving position due to higher ground clearance (say, a Qashqai) and a slightly higher, more upright driving position like the Note (from the car roof and seat squab being higher).

I've driven Qashqais and didn't find them roomy or particularly easy to get into - you are climbing up a little bit to get into it and the door height is no different from a normal car. The Note (which used to belong to my wife) has doors which are tall and open wide. It's noticeably easier to get into than a normal car (like the Octavia they're used to).

It does other useful things too like the split-level boot which saves on lugging stuff over a boot lip, and the slidey rear seats which make the boot bigger (although that's only an option on newer ones).

• Advertisement

So they have gone for an Opel meriva in the finish.. 1.6 diesel in mid spec.. Drove it lots today on test and it's very comfortable. The engine has a fair bit of pep.. Good comfortable seats and decent spec.
    They should have it next week, just have to get hitch fitted..

Advertisement