Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I can careless

Options
  • 26-03-2016 6:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭

I'm almost becoming speechless about this.

Ever hear one of many Americans say "I could care less" when what they mean is "I could not care less" ?

Well guess what the latest development is. "I can careless."

They are actually saying "I can careless" now, when what they mean is "I could not care less."

It's all over the internet, including in some "articles" I have recently read.

"I could not care less"

has been finally totally and utterly bastardised into

"I can careless."

WHY IS NOBODY STOPPING THEM!?

I mean, what's the next development? "I canless" ?

(TRY to resist the urge to respond to this by saying you could / couldn't care less / careless.)

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭XR3i

pitch control

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

DareGod wrote: »
    Could'nt give a flying fcuk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

I always thought "I could care less" was a shortened way of saying "Like I could care less" or "As if I could care less" sarcastically.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

I can care less about this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Stigura

It's all good.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭whatawaster81

And not a single f**k was given.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

funkin hell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭DareGod

And not a single f**k was given.

It's the equivalent to instead saying: "A single f**k was given."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

Maybe they could care less..

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭XR3i

i can careful

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

They are figuratively and literally out of control.

Or should that be literally and literally out of control.

So what?

Story bud, be grand, I will in me h*le, giz a fag, de press, de messages, tird, tanks, dat, dis, doos, yiz, boi, lack, beur, burd... the list of barely comprehensible sayings and words and deliberate mispronounciations that Irish people use is endless, why would anyone be surprised that other people say things that don't mean what they are meant to mean when half of casual Irish conversations are like code to an outsider?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

There's nothing new about this practice. As crap as it is. Also it's "I could care less" not "I can care less".

An Americanism I hate is replacing yes, or alright with OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭whatawaster81

It's the equivalent to instead saying: "A single f**k was given."

And it was by you.:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭DareGod

Candie wrote: »
    So what?

Story bud, be grand, I will in me h*le, giz a fag, de press, de messages, tird, tanks, dat, dis, doos, yiz, boi, lack, beur, burd... the list of barely comprehensible sayings and words and deliberate mispronounciations that Irish people use is endless, why would anyone be surprised that other people say things that don't mean what they are meant to mean when half of casual Irish conversations are like code to an outsider?

Jaysus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

I "Can” or "Could" means you do care a little due to phrase structure. I "Do" not care, would be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

I can caress

Giggidy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

Stupidity is fashionable OP.
    Also, 'tolerance' of obvious faults is fashionable. Telling people they're wrong is wholely unacceptable these days, even when they clearly are (unless the person is religious, especially Catholic - then it's open season).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

I'm almost becoming speechless about this.

Really?

\/
    \/
    Ever hear one of many Americans say "I could care less" when what they mean is "I could not care less" ?

Well guess what the latest development is. "I can careless."

They are actually saying "I can careless" now, when what they mean is "I could not care less."

It's all over the internet, including in some "articles" I have recently read.

"I could not care less"

has been finally totally and utterly bastardised into

"I can careless."

I mean, what's the next development? "I canless" ?

(TRY to resist the urge to respond to this by saying you could / couldn't care less / careless.)

• Advertisement

So there is no space in AH for the Trivial Annoyances thread and yet here we have a discussion about a silly phrase.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

I don't donate a defecation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

feargale wrote: »
    I don't donate a defecation.
    You don't but could you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

There's nothing new about this practice. As crap as it is. Also it's "I could care less" not "I can care less".

An Americanism I hate is replacing yes, or alright with OK.

It's neither, it's "I couldn't care less", ie. "I care so little as it is that I couldn't possibly care any less" ........ so many people get this simple expression wrong in so many ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭fineso.mom

Reminds me of my dad's reply to a neighbour who couldnt make it to some function or other.
    Neighbour.. I'm sorry I won't make it tomorrow John, I hope you won't think less of me.
    My dad ....Oh God no Mick, not at all,sure I couldn't think less of you.

Yeah I know its not the same thing but ....
    I couldn't care less ☺

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

This bugged me so much that I asked an American friend why he said he "could care less". He said he meant he could care less, but wasn't bothered going to the effort of doing so. Still sounds wrong to me though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

On a scale of 1-10 where 1 is the lowest amount of cares you could give, then you "couldn't care less". If, however, you cared about a 2 on the scale, then you "could (essentially) care less".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

On a scale of 1-10 where 1 is the lowest amount of cares you could give, then you "couldn't care less". If, however, you cared about a 2 on the scale, then you "could (essentially) care less".

The expression "I couldn't care less" is another way of saying "I don't care at all", ie. it would always be a 1 on your scale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

So there is no space in AH for the Trivial Annoyances thread and yet here we have a discussion about a silly phrase.

Mod

If you've an issue with modding I suggest you either report posts that you feel are against the charter or take it to Help desk/Feedback.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

MadDog76 wrote: »
    It's neither, it's "I couldn't care less", ie. "I care so little as it is that I couldn't possibly care any less" ........ so many people get this simple expression wrong in so many ways.

I was saying what the Americans say is "I could care less" not "I can care less", which is how the OP phrases it.

Advertisement