Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€35,000 compensation for seeing excrement on prisoners face.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Nodin wrote: »
    How do we know that's true though? You could be dead and typing this for all we know.

Also, are you talking about shite shite or just shite like an RTE chatshow...?

I have seen both sh1te sh1te AND RTE sh1te Nodin.

I should win a Nobel bloody sh1tting prize, never mind 35k compo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

It's worth noting that these claims are usually "straw that broke the camels back" awards. They are awards for PTSD, a recognised condition, not simply for the incident alone.

So theres more than one incident here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

No, but I'd still guess its less bothersome than the smell of a corpse after a week or two in the water, and certainly less hastle than a pan of boiling water in the face as struck one gardai a while back.

And he'll get a lot more than she did.

maudgonner wrote: »
    I have seen both sh1te sh1te AND RTE sh1te Nodin.

I should win a Nobel bloody sh1tting prize, never mind 35k compo.

This is why we have an international womens day - for the women who put up with all sorts of shite, but never file a claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭PandaPoo

'O shit on my face, and tell me that you love me....'

I woke the cat and the baby laughing at this. I haven't had a good belly laugh in ages :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,286 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

And he'll get a lot more than she did.

tbh i think you are on to a loser in this thread. the outrage bus has arrived and it is PACKED.

tbh i think you are on to a loser in this thread. the outrage bus has arrived and it is PACKED.

Not sure if that's the bus I arrived on. I've no problem with gardai getting compo, this just seems - considering what they have to do in the job - a bit of a soft claim. Unless the whole gardaiing business has become a lot nicer then when I used hear about it....maybe theres a better class of person out there now....somewhere...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

PandaPoo wrote: »
    I woke the cat and the baby laughing at this. I haven't had a good belly laugh in ages :D

Apt user name

Not sure if that's the bus I arrived on. I've no problem with gardai getting compo, this just seems - considering what they have to do in the job - a bit of a soft claim. Unless the whole gardaiing business has become a lot nicer then when I used hear about it....maybe theres a better class of person out there now....somewhere...

I think it's more a case of punishing the organisation for doing nothing to help members with a little recognition of pay cuts thrown in.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭jjmcclure

If you don't want to occasionally be in harms way, don't become a police officer - in any jurisdiction! :rolleyes:

I see a headline coming soon - "Garda awarded €100k after prisoner farts in patrol car (after 9 pints of Guinness and garlic cheese chips)"

• Advertisement

the guy ate his own **** inches from her face. a perfectly normal thing to encounter in any job i'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

I think it's more a case of punishing the organisation for doing nothing to help members with a little recognition of pay cuts thrown in.

But thats not how our justice system should work. Each case should be taken on its own merits.
    The compensation culture in this country is out of control however. At one time it was only a certain type of person who pursued seemingly frivolous claims. Now it seems you would be a fool not to.
    Of all the imposed troika reforms the one section of society that avoided all reform and scrutiny was the legal profession. That is no surprise given their over representation in parliament, in government and in interpreting the very laws that affect them.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    But thats not how our justice system should work. Each case should be taken on its own merits.
    The compensation culture in this country is out of control however. At one time it was only a certain type of person who pursued seemingly frivolous claims. Now it seems you would be a fool not to.
    Of all the imposed troika reforms the one section of society that avoided all reform and scrutiny was the legal profession. That is no surprise given their over representation in parliament, in government and in interpreting the very laws that affect them.

No argument here. And the moment someone in any kind of position of power criticises a judge they are interfering with the judiciary. It can't be too long until prime time gets it's hands on the legal profession. If people think the Gardaí are corrupt they are in for quite a land when they see the kind of back door **** that goes on in the legal profession.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

the guy ate his own **** inches from her face. a perfectly normal thing to encounter in any job i'm sure.
    You should try working in a care home.

armaghlad wrote: »
    You should try working in a care home.

if it involves people eating their own **** on a regular basis i'll pass.

Seriously, there's no defending this claim!
    She's an embarrassment to the gardai, in particular the women gardai.
    Nothing, I repeat, nothing actually happened to her, she saw, I repeat, saw, some ****e on someone's face.
    She didn't get it in her own mouth, her eyes, anywhere on her body. She didn't need tests to see if she had caught anything.
    It's ridiculous & makes genuine cases seem less.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Aongus Von Heisenberg

SafeSurfer wrote: »

This is the most concerning aspect of such cases. It is extremely socially corrosive to reward frivolous claimants. It disincentives honesty and erodes trust while making services much more expensive and difficult to provide so as to meet an ever rising and ultimately unattainable standard of total safety (ie idiot-proof).

In any prison system a large number of the inmates are - quite literally - insane. Why they are in the prison system is neither here nor there for the purposes of this discussion, but suffice to say they got there via dealing with the Gardaí. People with severe impulse control difficulties, various forms of serious mental illness, frequently combined with drug use, are not going to be the most pleasant to deal with. With that in mind, shite eating is far from the worst thing they're going to have to put up with. I'm not saying its nice, just that its - relatively - far from the worst they have to put up with.

if it involves people eating their own **** on a regular basis i'll pass.

People throwing it is not uncommon, though its things like getting your face scratched or being hit or bit that worry people most, for obvious reasons (had an aunt who worked on a ward for those with various forms of dementia - you wouldn't want to lose your sense of humour).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

If the woman was traumatised she was traumatised. Maybe she could deal easily with a fatal RTC but this particular just got to her. I'll take the word of a couple of health professionals over outraged internet folks. The size of the award is not her doing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Absoluvely

Psychiatrist David Louis Magee told the court Detective Garda Harkin had felt a threat to her life

:rolleyes:

I wonder why the state is responsible. Was the state found to have been negligent?

I wonder if she went to the Injuries Board first.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Absoluvely wrote: »

I wonder why the state is responsible. Was the state found to have been negligent?

Maybe the big steel locked door wasn't enough safe enough for the victim

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭jjmcclure

If I'm ever attacked in the street by a lunatic I hope he uses a turd instead of a knife or broken bottle!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

I think the sad thing here is that the gardai have become an absolute waste of skin. This spoofer chancing her arm for a claim, the fattest of fookers standing outside leinster house, rookie pricks starting on buskers while scum parade all over town. Called them a while ago while watching a car theft in progress and "nobody available but let us know if he comes back". Mong.

Yet they have no issue sticking 3 obese uniformed embarrassments on each side of college green to hoover up fines from cars driving through at rush hour.

Not one to be seen when there is actual menace or danger on the streets, but if they can fine you, they'll be there.

Absolute waste of space. A revenue generation force, not a police force.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭stoplooklisten

genericguy wrote: »
    ...A revenue generation force, not a police force.

i don't think they ever claimed to be a police force, guardians of the peace is what they claim. the tax collecting stuff they throw in for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I've had the pleasure of spending a night in a garda barracks cell and all of them were covered in ****. There was **** on the walls, on the floor, on the bed, it was everywhere but the hole in the ground they called a toilet.

So I don't see how the guards can be so surprised by ****, they deal with it on a daily basis. This compensation seems ridiculous, I really don't understand how anyone could have €35,000 worth of PTSD after seeing it. If it happened to her in the street while she was off duty and there's no one to sue, I wonder would it be quite as traumatic?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

I think the compensation was for the mental injury caused by what the judge deems to be an assault. So although no physical contact was made, having a sh1tty face shoved in yours is now assault. So the state should have prevented the assault. That's my understanding of it.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Presuming if the compo was awarded, there must have been at least some prima faeces evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Still can't see how the state was at fault here at all .

• Advertisement

In any prison system a large number of the inmates are - quite literally - insane. Why they are in the prison system is neither here nor there for the purposes of this discussion, but suffice to say they got there via dealing with the Gardaí. People with severe impulse control difficulties, various forms of serious mental illness, frequently combined with drug use, are not going to be the most pleasant to deal with. With that in mind, shite eating is far from the worst thing they're going to have to put up with. I'm not saying its nice, just that its - relatively - far from the worst they have to put up with.

Different people have different limits and pressure points though. I know a Garda who was perfectly fine wading through the remains of a person who had blown their head of with a shotgun and picking pieces of skull and brain off of things but put her in a room with a cat and she'd go into shock.

Gatling wrote: »
    Still can't see how the state was at fault here at all .

Garda compensation claims do not assign fault to the state. They don't require the state be found at fault. It is a compensation scheme for members maliciously injured in the course of their duty. Like a victim compensation scheme.
    genericguy wrote: »
    I think the sad thing here is that the gardai have become an absolute waste of skin. This spoofer chancing her arm for a claim, the fattest of fookers standing outside leinster house, rookie pricks starting on buskers while scum parade all over town. Called them a while ago while watching a car theft in progress and "nobody available but let us know if he comes back". Mong.

Yet they have no issue sticking 3 obese uniformed embarrassments on each side of college green to hoover up fines from cars driving through at rush hour.

Not one to be seen when there is actual menace or danger on the streets, but if they can fine you, they'll be there.

Absolute waste of space. A revenue generation force, not a police force.

That doesn't really explain how approximately 1000 Gardaí are injured in the course of duty every year. What do you think causes that? Bad chairs in the station? Paper cuts?

Advertisement