Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€35,000 compensation for seeing excrement on prisoners face.

Options
  • 08-03-2016 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭

A Garda has been awarded €35k compensation for post traumatic stress disorder for seeing a prisoner who had smeared his face with his own excrement.

Is this justified and deserving or another example of people with a sense of entitlement looking for easy money from the state.
    For the record I think it is ridiculous. If you become a Garda, you expect to come across some distressing situations, road traffic accidents, etc. Its the nature of the job.

http://www.thejournal.ie/garda-civil-court-case-win-2648263-Mar2016/

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,513 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

But it was a female Garda, and she thought that he was going to spit the excrement at her!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭The Davestator

I need to sue my child for doing something similar countless times

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭thee glitz

Maybe it is, but they don't get paid too much in general.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭mmooney1983

Jaysus
    As someone who works in mental health I need to sort out my retirement fund so
    I'll be able to quit at the age of 35 if I start putting in claims now

• Registered Users Posts: 17,439 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,134 ✭✭✭screamer

Ridiculous TBH. Leave the gender aside, a garda is a garda I'm sure there are others who have seen far worse and didn't sue, they are true professionals. Compo culture is alive and well though for some people it seems...............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

You're shitting me?.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,284 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I accept it could be traumatic if he'd smeared her face, but even then it wouldn't be €35k worth of trauma.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,730 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Nurses will be delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I'd usually defend a lot of the compo claims, but this one seems nuts!
    Since no physical damage done, I find it hard that what happened was really such a shock given the line of her job.
    I'd love to know who ultimately said 'you should really pursue this... I think you've a case'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

That magic PTSD pill that just happens to make large sums of money appear

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭stoplooklisten

Who would have thought when dealing with criminals they wouldn't just sit quietly in the cell. They may even have a grudge against the gardai and try to cause trouble.

It's something we should consider. We could make a special role of people who have to deal with criminals and we could call them......the gardai. Then people joining this role would be aware that they may have to deal with unsavoury characters and be educated that not all criminals are like fluffy kittens.

Just an idea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

If she could have held out to the first time she had to attend a fatal RTC or a shotgun suicide she'd never have to work again.

Madness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

A detective Garda and that's the worst she's ever seen? She must have had a boring career or theres a serious amount missing from this story, while it is horrific I firstly, don't see how it's the states fault if some guy decides to eat his own **** and secondly how the department of justice could have stopped this.

Some guy eating his own **** and trying to spit it at your is pretty disturbing I don't imagine it would cause PTS.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,439 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

I'm sorry is this not in her job description!?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Why sue the state though? Sue Hughie Irwin, he's the guy who did it.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 976 ✭✭✭beach_walker

Wtf? I saw a man doing this one night* while I was working minimum wage in a dive bar. Bouncers f*cked him out pronto.

E35k?! Haha! Either the Gards are getting awful soft or another handy number. I know which I'd lean towards.

*Hand down the back, unmistakably what was returned and wiped all around the mouth.

This is absolutely ridiculous.
    And gives all gardai deserving of compensation a bad name.
    It's a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,426 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Someone's ****e on your own face - compo
    Someone's ****e on their own face - gross, but jaysus you're a guard

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

So she was in fear for her life while she had a solid steel door between her and the suspect and if she didn't want to see it all she had to do was close the hatch .

I got stabbed with a syringe ten years ago by a junkie while in work never got a brass cent in compensation.

15 + million paid to gardai in compensation claims in the last few years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭An Claidheamh

That woman is simply a disgrace.

I hope she's shunned by all other gardai, and her face appears on as many news outlets as possible.

Gardai are such a joke thanks to people like her, detecive FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,657 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

So I can sue RTE for the trauma of seeing Tubridy every Friday?

"Couldn't get to the remote fast enough... irreparable damage ... yadda yadda"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Xcellor

A years salary for seeing someone **** faced...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

That's ridiculous, I would have just walked away and returned the next day with a bucket of water leaving him to rot in his cell overnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

Gatling wrote: »
    15 + million paid to gardai in compensation claims in the last few years

how much is a "few"?

some of that compensation is for some horrific injuries that they suffered from

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I nearly stood on human poop in an alley once. (I could tell it was human, as they had thoughtfully wiped their arse) That must be worth a few quid?

Fat bird in near see through leggings. That's gotta be worth something. Couldn't eat sausages for weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

Oh well... up go the insurance premiums again.

F me this has to stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

Certainly a distressing ordeal for her but it took place 11 years ago - She still can't have suffered that much?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,950 ✭✭✭dodzy

'Compo' culture is so deep-rooted in our society, and it's here to stay unfortunately. We're a sad bunch really.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

He must have gotten "**** faced" after that settlement lol

Advertisement