Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dodderbrook Ballycullen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭dantheman89

Other down side is buses take an hour to the city but I am used to it and all other aspects work for me.

Going to view other houses in the area also at the weekend and do a comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭guile4582

I've seen some nice ones in Daletree

Other down side is buses take an hour to the city but I am used to it and all other aspects work for me.

Going to view other houses in the area also at the weekend and do a comparison.

whats the rough cost of a taxi home after a night out lets say from Dame st? 25e?

guile4582 wrote: »
    I've seen some nice ones in Daltree

Yeah there is a few around compared to this time last year. Seem to be better value on the face of it but won't know until Saturday.

whats the rough cost of a taxi home after a night out lets say from Dame st? 25e?

Yeah about right. 30 max and night link too.

PS I like your thinking!

Off thread slightly but looks to be a nice new build in citywest but havn't really looked into it!

• Advertisement

i am a bit concerned over m50! I can only really afford Firhouse and Ballycullen, it would appear. perhaps i will drive to terenure and bike it from there, as i bike to work as it is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

i am a bit concerned over m50! I can only really afford Firhouse and Ballycullen, it would appear. perhaps i will drive to terenure and bike it from there, as i bike to work as it is now.
    You can bike it all the way, I did for years. Max 40 minute cycle door to door into the city on a bad day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

One of my neighbours does this but my hubby bikes the whole way (to the north side of the city) - bit hardcore in the winter weather sometimes but mostly grand.

I've seen some nice ones in Daletree

Just be very careful with the proximity to both the halting site and social housing in Daletree.

Just be very careful with the proximity to both the halting site and social housing in Daletree.

can you point out on a map where this is?

• Advertisement

I would cycle the whole way as suggested. I done it in the summer in 25 mins to the quays from the mill.

But yes the weather can be awful in winter. I have often thought of a motorbike but there is no escaping the weather.

i need to get to UCD

can you point out on a map where this is?

Daletree Close is the halting site, Daletree Court is the social housing (and the line of houses running between these two cul de sacs).

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Garyr1

Ouch!! 10% booking deposit required for a house with no foundations as of yet.

I don't fancy parting with my hard earned €40,000 and trusting it in the hands of a builder. If the houses were finished or my 40k was guaranteed (in escrow) fair enough.

There is still plenty of builders in trouble, going out of business and/or bankrupt. If the builder needs 40k deposit from each purchaser to continue building I certainly wouldn't be confident in getting a house at the end of it.

Call me over cautious, but losing 40k would set me back 5 years!!!!

knowing about that halting site kinda puts me off the area (no wonder i could seemingly afford it!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

Will go for a look but considering the supermarkets, bars and access to public transport are all poor. i think there is better value to be had

Supermarkets -Lidl , Supervalu Firhouse , Supervalu (SuperQuinn ) Knocklyon.
    Bars - Old Mill, Scholars, Speaker Connolly, Mortons, Firhouse Complex.
    Transport - Buses are 10 mins walk away. This estate might bring it down closer.

knowing about that halting site kinda puts me off the area (no wonder i could seemingly afford it!)

Thats not the only halting site in the area. Theres another one further along from Dalriada on the new road.

I only wouldnt buy in the same estate or immediate vicinity. Even googling the name Daletree throws up plenty of court appearance news reports. This is why you do your research before you buy.

Thats not the only halting site in the area. Theres another one further along from Dalriada on the new road.

I only wouldnt buy in the same estate or immediate vicinity. Even googling the name Daletree throws up plenty of court appearance news reports. This is why you do your research before you buy.

There are very few places in the suburbs of Dublin without a halting site (settled travelers) nearby. Nobody wants to live next door to one, but if you keep avoiding areas because there is a halting site nearby you'll never find anywhere to live. Dundrum has 3 halting sites within a 2 mile radius, Sandyford also has 2 if not 3, Rathfarnham!!!!! The list goes on. I moved from ballinteer to Ballycullen 10 years ago and would find it hard to live anywhere else now. Dodderbrook is a stones throw from where I currently live and is nowhere near a halting site!!! You could drive around this area for hours and never notice or find either travelers site that have been mentioned here, also, both sites are for settled travelers (houses) so no fields full of caravans.

Garyr1 wrote: »
    There are very few places in the suburbs of Dublin without a halting site (settled travelers) nearby. Nobody wants to live next door to one, but if you keep avoiding areas because there is a halting site nearby you'll never find anywhere to live. Dundrum has 3 halting sites within a 2 mile radius, Sandyford also has 2 if not 3, Rathfarnham!!!!! The list goes on. I moved from ballinteer to Ballycullen 10 years ago and would find it hard to live anywhere else now. Dodderbrook is a stones throw from where I currently live and is nowhere near a halting site!!! You could drive around this area for hours and never notice or find either travelers site that have been mentioned here, also, both sites are for settled travelers (houses) so no fields full of caravans.

+1

There is no area that isn't near a halting site.

However, I was specifically referring to Daletree when a poster said they were thinking about there and not Dodderbrook.

Apologies if I caused confusion.

However, I stand by my assertion that it's best to do your research before you buy! The site on Daletree was walled off when I bought then the council opened up the road through and we have had problems with residents from there. Mostly minor enough but it would certainly cause me to check out every nook and cranny locally when I next buy.

+1

There is no area that isn't near a halting site.

However, I was specifically referring to Daletree when a poster said they were thinking about there and not Dodderbrook.

Apologies if I caused confusion.

However, I stand by my assertion that it's best to do your research before you buy! The site on Daletree was walled off when I bought then the council opened up the road through and we have had problems with residents from there. Mostly minor enough but it would certainly cause me to check out every nook and cranny locally when I next buy.

Fair point!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

DilemmaDan wrote: »
    The estate is being handed over to the council (on completion I assume?) so there won't be a management company from what I was told.

Don't believe this for a second. Councils don't routinely or entirely take over estates any more. They may take over the roads and sewers at some point but landscaping, maintenance of common areas and insurance may remain costs to the estate. You really need to do your groundwork on this, find out what council policy is on new estates and see if there's any reference to it in the planning permission.

How can you find out definitively whether or not there is going to be a management company?

There's a lot of documents in the planning application, wouldn't know where to look!

Edited, I found it on page 11 of the planning application. Although that's the application, further digging to see if that changed......

Edited again, well well well, page 6 of the Final Grant document states (in section 13), that there WILL be a management company. But then the next document says there will not be! Confusing.....

How can you find out definitively whether or not there is going to be a management company?

There's a lot of documents in the planning application, wouldn't know where to look!

Start with the council and ask what their policy is. Also don't look at the planning application, look at the planning decision.

Section 13 of the "final grant" on the link shared earlier in this thread outlines that the common areas will be maintained by a management company and will not be taken on by the council.

Does this mean extra costs for the purchaser?

Section 13 of the "final grant" on the link shared earlier in this thread outlines that the common areas will be maintained by a management company and will not be taken on by the council.

Insurance, maintenance, lanscaping and lighting most likely, so yes, management fees and the fun they entail.

athtrasna wrote: »
    Insurance, maintenance, lanscaping and lighting most likely, so yes, management fees and the fun they entail.

Thanks! That would certainly push me over the edge and would lose interest in the developement. I must confirm with the estate agent.

Thanks! That would certainly push me over the edge and would lose interest in the developement. I must confirm with the estate agent.

You'll have it with most new developments and probably most developments built this century. Hard to avoid. Councils' way of keeping their costs for new estates low

This is disputed in a document further down (just called cover letter) and there is an acknowledgement of cond 13 letter from the council but there is no final decision that I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,515 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Daft also states Dublin 16. Ballycullen was hard enough to believe! Hence the high price I guess..

Are they actually going to get away with calling this D.16??? Kind of boggles the mind when Hunterswood, which is actually looking right *at* D.16 is still Dublin 24.

Bananas.

• Advertisement

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Are they actually going to get away with calling this D.16??? Kind of boggles the mind when Hunterswood, which is actually looking right *at* D.16 is still Dublin 24.

Bananas.

It seems to be only on Daft but still annoying! They are trying the same with the new houses on the Ballycullen road and friends of mine from Hunterswood have complained.

Advertisement