Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

He posted a picture of his foot swelled up like a football.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

defo his???? not a picture of any foot??? attached to his leg? :D

just making sure. ok cool then.

back on point. How did it happen? the oul liver kick clashed with a low elbow? round the floating rib?

I did it once, Bloody painful!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,489 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Jaysus looks like he was trying to break your man's knee throwing a kick that hard.

Edit: I read his coach said he kicked his training partners knee and the guy checked the kick.

so no pads then, clever two weeks out!!!

if pads, then how the hell do you kick that hard again 2 weeks out!!

stupid cnuts!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,023 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

After the Diaz fight, he will surely have to defend the FW belt against Edgar/Aldo or whoever is the #1 guy at that point.

If he was to challenge for another belt at a different weight then he should vacate his belt.

A champion should be defending his belt at least 2-3 times a year. If he were to arrange a fight against Dos Anjos or Lawler later on in the year it a big FU to the FW division

The average time between Aldo’s last 5 title defenses was around 9.5 months.

I’m sure you were campaigning for him to be forced to vacate due to inactivity.

I dont think there will be fireworks at the press conference personally,not as much hatred there as people think.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Deadst4r

Gamebred wrote: »
    I dont think there will be fireworks at the press conference personally,not as much hatred there as people think.

There never really is hatred though, it's just pressure to entertain and the desire to wind the opponent up.

There will definitely be a few jibes. If there was a few months build up, a couple of comments in the media and things would really get going.

edit - never really is hatred with Conor....not talking bout Jones Cormier here..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Nate's gonna say he's glad McG has the balls to fight.
    McG's gonna say he's glad Nate has the balls to step in at such short notice.
    Then they're gonna hug it out as Meisha and Holly sing When Doves Cry by Prince

:pac:

Deadst4r wrote: »
    There never really is hatred though, it's just pressure to entertain and the desire to wind the opponent up.

There will definitely be a few jibes. If there was a few months build up, a couple of comments in the media and things would really get going.

edit - never really is hatred with Conor....not talking bout Jones Cormier here..

I mean from the opponents side,most of them despised him and got emotional cant see Diaz getting mentally broken like Aldo Poirier and Mendes.

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »
    Not really imo.
    He is fighting a LW at WW, which is hugely different to fighting a WW.

Fighting Nate at 170 is virtually no different to fighting him at 155. Nate's not a welterweight, he's probably just carrying too much to get to 155 in 10 days. Conor will be far better shape of the two and maybe even the bigger fighter. I'd assume he'll need to cut a little to make 170.

He’s fighting a guy who can make LW but has fought at WW and has the height/frame to pack on muscle to stay up at WW consistently if he chose to.

It’s like saying there’s virtually no difference to Conor fighting Edgar at 155 than fighting him at 145 because they can both compete at that weight.

Fighting at WW is definitely more beneficial to Nate than Conor (obviously there’s other negatives for Nate given the short notice).

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Deadst4r

I mean from the opponents side,most of them despised him and got emotional cant see Diaz getting mentally broken like Aldo Poirier and Mendes.

Don't know how I didn't get that.

Conor isnt really a 145er he kills himself to make it,I think 155 is his optimal division and will prove so when he gets a chance to fight at it,this fight is just like an exhibition without the stresss of cutting from 170 odd to 155,for both,dont think Nate has a power advantage he has volume not ko power or crazy strength.

Doesn’t need to be hatred, Nate likes trying to get into his opponent’s head so will throw some comments and we’ll see how Conor responds. It’ll be interesting as this is the point where Conor normally starts toning down the talk and goes nearly quiet on it in the lead into fight week. Diaz on the other hand tends to ramp things up closer to the fight.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

You cant see Diaz getting emotional? The guy is a lose cannon, gets wound up and starts to curse and swear till hes shouting so loud and fast the words aren't even coming out properly (not that they much of the time anyways). It will be funny watching the two of them smack talking and how frustrated Diaz gets trying to have a good comeback and not just resort to saying bitch, mother****er, ninja, american ninja as a response to everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭xtal191

Axwell wrote: »
    You cant see Diaz getting emotional? The guy is a lose cannon, gets wound up and starts to curse and swear till hes shouting so loud and fast the words aren't even coming out properly (not that they much of the time anyways). It will be funny watching the two of them smack talking and how frustrated Diaz gets trying to have a good comeback and not just resort to saying bitch, mother****er, ninja, american ninja as a response to everything.

Yeah hes off the head alright but its the norm I mean conors mind games wont goad him into a stand up emotional fight,he fights that way anyways loves a war,might be some **** to get the ppv sales going but im trying not get my hopes up for fireworks at it,theres some mutual respect there along the lines between them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭newbbieb

xtal191 wrote: »

Yeah have some sympathy with him even though i'm tired of his complaining,Dana worded it in such a way to make him look bad he has a point imo.

Yeah he has got a bit of a point in fairness but im sick of his whinging.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Billy86 wrote: »
    Conor is on Conan tonight? Have to watch that, I barely get around to watching him but Conan's one of the best interviewers out there; really adaptable to whoever his guest is and highly entertaining - it should be a great watch.

What channel does Conan show on over here? used always have him, Letterman and Leno on Sky .....haven't seen them in an age

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

In fairness to Frankie he's earned his shot. He's been f*cked over ever since they picked Mendes to fight for the interim belt instead of him.

If it's looking like Conor will never go down to 145 again, just vacate the belt or suck it up and cut down one last time to fight Edgar before vacating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Simply Red

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0Ze86N21ro

Link for press conference later, starts 9pm our time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭newbbieb

Lukker- wrote: »
    In fairness to Frankie he's earned his shot. He's been f*cked over ever since they picked Mendes to fight for the interim belt instead of him.

If it's looking like Conor will never go down to 145 again, just vacate the belt or suck it up and cut down one last time to fight Edgar before vacating.

I think he does no doubt deserve his shot now,but he was calling for his shot ages ago when he wasn't long returned from back to back title losses.

Also his point fighting style doesn't endear him to the masses and its not too smart to be beefing with the Dictator that is Dana,its not gonna end well unless you are a massive drawing fighter and Frankie isn't.

Lukker- wrote: »

As I said a few posts above, Aldo averaged his last 5 defenses at 9.5 month gaps between them.

Most posters were annoyed by the mere mention of Conor getting an interim title shot due to RDA dropping out, when RDA defended his title last a week after Conor won the FW title, yet we have several posters saying Conor should drop the FW title after the same period. You can point to many other champs that are far from active.

Apparently it’s ok for a fighter to take gaps between fights to go on holidays but how dare they spend time between defenses taking other fights.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭evo2000

Yeah hes off the head alright but its the norm I mean conors mind games wont goad him into a stand up emotional fight,he fights that way anyways loves a war,might be some **** to get the ppv sales going but im trying not get my hopes up for fireworks at it,theres some mutual respect there along the lines between them.

Diaz is a poor mans version of holloway and will be ko d early imo, way too hitable and predictable, it ll be entertaining while it lasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,031 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Foxtrol wrote: »
    The average time between Aldo’s last 5 title defenses was around 9.5 months.

I’m sure you were campaigning for him to be forced to vacate due to inactivity.

Aldo fought twice a year barring the injury hit 2015

Aldo defended the belt twice in 2014, twice in 2013, once in 2012, twice in 2011, twice in 2010, fought four times in 2009. (Check how he stacks up to the rest and you will see he is anything but the inactive fighter some people try to portray him as)

He was not an inactive champion.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

evo2000 wrote: »
    Diaz is a poor mans version of holloway and will be ko d early imo, way too hitable and predictable, it ll be entertaining while it lasts.

I wouldnt compare them 2 tbh,diaz is a boxer whose a black belt in bjj and trains sambo,holloway hasnt schooled people like cowboy either,

Both prefer to stand up yes but neither fight the same,max moves constantly diaz walks you down.

I wouldnt compare them 2 tbh,diaz is a boxer whose a black belt in bjj and trains sambo,holloway hasnt schooled people like cowboy either,

Both prefer to stand up yes but neither fight the same,max moves constantly diaz walks you down.

I used holloway as an example for the people saying "mcgregors never faced a rangey striker before"

Honestly tho diaz is way too slow and predictable for someone like mcgregor, couple that with short notice.. its gonna be a short well paid night for diaz,

Aldo fought twice a year barring the injury hit 2015

Aldo defended the belt twice in 2014, twice in 2013, once in 2012, twice in 2011, twice in 2010, fought four times in 2009. (Check how he stacks up to the rest and you will see he is anything but the inactive fighter some people try to portray him as)

He was not an inactive champion.

Considering alot of other champs are a joke when it comes to defenses that doesnt really say much

Aldo turned down his shot at a rematch after whinging for it he should be let stew same for frankie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

No one sees nate go for a takedown and try submit him?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement