Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abortion Discussion, Part Trois

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,125 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Cabaal wrote: »
    "Concerned Christians" doing leaflet drops

ccfdl2-733x1024.jpg

Hmmm, Timothy 2:1,2?

I hope they follow Timothy's exhortations in 2:12, which means they probably shouldn't vote for women candidates.

Timothy 2:12 I do not permit a woman to teach or to assume authority over a man; she must be quiet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

Pherekydes wrote: »

I hope they follow Timothy's exhortations in 2:12, which means they probably shouldn't vote for women candidates.

Timothy 2:12 I do not permit a woman to teach or to assume authority over a man; she must be quiet.

That's just a metaphor/out of context/doesnt apply anymore

But that other bit is the literal word of God and must be followed to the letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Kiwi in IE

That's just a metaphor/out of context/doesnt apply anymore

Wrong Randy Riverbeast, that definitely still applies in RCC!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭robdonn

Peru compensates woman in historic UN Human Rights abortion case
    "In 2001, a 17-year-old Peruvian girl, named K.L., was 14 weeks pregnant when doctors at the public hospital in Lima diagnosed the foetus with anencephaly."

The Universal Declaration of Human Rights
    "The Universal Declaration of Human Rights (UDHR) is a milestone document in the history of human rights."

Rights
    "Rights are entitlements (not) to perform certain actions, or (not) to be in certain states; or entitlements that others (not) perform certain actions or (not) be in certain states."

Zika prompts urgent debate about abortion in Latin America
    "Across Latin America, calls to loosen some of the most restrictive abortion laws in the world in the face of the Zika virus outbreak are gaining momentum but encountering strong and entrenched opposition."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

robdonn wrote: »

Peru compensates woman in historic UN Human Rights abortion case
    "In 2001, a 17-year-old Peruvian girl, named K.L., was 14 weeks pregnant when doctors at the public hospital in Lima diagnosed the foetus with anencephaly."

The Universal Declaration of Human Rights
    "The Universal Declaration of Human Rights (UDHR) is a milestone document in the history of human rights."

Rights
    "Rights are entitlements (not) to perform certain actions, or (not) to be in certain states; or entitlements that others (not) perform certain actions or (not) be in certain states."

Zika prompts urgent debate about abortion in Latin America
    "Across Latin America, calls to loosen some of the most restrictive abortion laws in the world in the face of the Zika virus outbreak are gaining momentum but encountering strong and entrenched opposition."

There is no right to have an abortion. None whatsoever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭robdonn

And ...

I'm guessing that you didn't watch the video, but ah well.

You do have the right to an abortion, if you live in a country where it is legal under the circumstances in which you are seeking it. That's what the video starts off with, the story of a girl who was denied an abortion that she had the legal right to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,853 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Not even if the woman is at risk of dying, or is that her own fault and she needs to suck it up and get busy repenting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

There's more to the bible than I thought.

Not even if the woman is at risk of dying, or is that her own fault and she needs to suck it up and get busy repenting?

Yeah, old Frosty is a true Christian. One wonders does he have a wife, daughter, female friends, any empathy for anything women face. I would have to say no. Just an angry christian.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,565 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Yes there is. If I am pregnant and do not want to be, I have a right to travel with the specific intent of having an abortion. I can tell the Garda, airport officials, any person/organisation at all who represents the law, that that is the reason I am travelling, and there is nothing they can do to stop me because I have that right.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭volchitsa

No worries, my reply can wait till you're back ;)

So, any time you like Jack. :)

Here was my post, trying to clarify what I'd been saying previously, since you appear not to have understood it, judging by your previous reply :

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Better a dead woman who kept her virtue than a living woman who had an abortion seems to be the view of some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭volchitsa

No worries, my reply can wait till you're back ;)
    volchitsa wrote: »
    I've no idea what you think you're saying there, genuinely not a clue what your point is. However on the point of "judging" people, I think you've misunderstood what I was saying.

Lots of people make major decisions for reasons that I would think terrible reasons, whether getting married because they want a party and a white dress, or having a baby because that's what you do. Or because they want to feel validated in some way, or whatever.

Does that mean I think they should be stopped? Well, no. The consequences of trying to micromanage people's lives like that, even if it were possible, would be disastrous. IMO.

I think the same about abortion : there are reasons that I personally think absolutely justified that some others might not, and reasons that I would find insufficient, but that the couple concerned might find absolutely compelling. Since I have come to the conclusion that there are some cases in which pregnancy termination is acceptable, then it seems to me that (at the same term of fetal development) forcing someone else to give birth for reasons I find acceptable is really not my business. Parenthood is far too major a decision to force on someone else.

So there you go. HTH.

eviltwin wrote: »
    Better a dead woman who kept her virtue than a living woman who had an abortion seems to be the view of some people.

Of course dead pregnant woman means dead foetus too, but we can't let minor technicalities like that get in the way of 'pro life'.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

So there you go. HTH.

Have to go back to your previous post before that, which is the post I had originally addressed:

Quick question. For those people here who support contraception on demand, does that include a woman's right to use contraception because she's afraid of having a child of a particular gender or hair colour?

Isn't that what "on demand" means, after all?

People are entitled to be unpleasant people if they like, and disliking someone because of their gender or their hair colour is pretty high up on the scale of nasty IMO, but if choosing to have an abortion because you've been raped is considered to be your own business and no-one else's, then clearly abortion is not the equivalent of killing the resulting child. 1. It's ending a pregnancy, which is a different thing. 2. That is because a fetus is not a child, no matter how much the forced birthers try to say it is.

(Though how one would identify a red-haired fetus is a puzzle.)

1. It's not any different other than the wording you're more comfortable with using to describe the same end result.

2. See 1.

The question was regarding abortion on demand, not contraception on demand, and by way of answering that specific question, I would suggest it doesn't matter what a woman's reasons are for wanting an abortion, and this is not directed at you personally, but at anyone who thinks they have any right to decide what are or aren't legitimate reasons for an abortion, or whether that woman is nasty or not for whatever reason she decides to have an abortion, should really go away and think about that position.

Ok, so the point I was making is that you were trying to make out there was a difference between abortion, and killing the resultant child, suggesting that abortion is different because it's not killing the resultant child, it's ending the pregnancy. That just looks like using semantics you're more comfortable with, as the outcome of either perspective is exactly the same.

The same semantics are used again when you suggest that the foetus is not a child, no matter how much the forced birthers try to say it is. This again is simply a matter of perspective, and all you're doing in trying to dehumanise the unborn child and call it a foetus and all the rest of it, there are going to be many people who simply do not share your wish to refer to their unborn child as a foetus or whatever other terms you'd use to distance yourself from reality as much as possible.

It's not just "forced birthers" would say this btw, I'm saying it and I would absolutely be against the idea of forcing a woman to remain pregnant against her will, let alone force her to give birth against her will. But I'm also not going to attempt to be so reductionist in an attempt to distance myself from reality because it makes me uncomfortable.

I absolutely detest the politics that surrounds the issue, and I hate some of the nonsense terminology and spin used by anyone to try and make out like they're in the right and everyone else is wrong, or anyone who doesn't align with them is the enemy and all the rest of that nonsense. Those types of people (not specifically aiming this at you volchista, but it feels like it sometimes), seem to be more taken up with flinging shìt at each other, than remembering the reality of, or being mindful of, what they're actually arguing over.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

Kiwi in IE wrote: »
    Yes there is. If I am pregnant and do not want to be, I have a right to travel with the specific intent of having an abortion. I can tell the Garda, airport officials, any person/organisation at all who represents the law, that that is the reason I am travelling, and there is nothing they can do to stop me because I have that right.
    Is that not a right to travel? Regardless of your intent?

Absolam wrote: »
    Is that not a right to travel? Regardless of your intent?

I'm not so sure, if someone informed the Garda of an intent to travel for the specific purpose of having an actual child killed, I doubt it would be completely ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,565 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

This part of POLDPA might cover the informing of a Garda of the above mentioned purpose.....

An Act to protect human life during pregnancy; to make provision for reviews at the
    instigation of a pregnant woman of certain medical opinions given in respect of
    pregnancy; to provide for an offence of intentional destruction of unborn human life;

Link: PROTECTION OF LIFE DURING PREGNANCY ACT 2013 --- page 5 of the PDF - https://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjgro3ljI_LAhVCxQ8KHXFXBYwQFggiMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.irishstatutebook.ie%2Feli%2F2013%2Fact%2F35%2Fenacted%2Fen%2Fpdf&usg=AFQjCNEJCxQQwhbKuv1xDbrIHLr_TsFzPw.

• Advertisement

I'm not so sure, if someone informed the Garda of an intent to travel for the specific purpose of having an actual child killed, I doubt it would be completely ignored.
    I don't believe you could be prevented from travelling though, could you?
    I'm sure if they took it seriously they'd inform the relevant authorities of the jurisdiction you were travelling to. Unless it wasn't illegal to kill children in the jurisdiction you were travelling to, in which case there'd be no point. I can't imagine they'd ignore it, just as you say.
    But your right to travel, regardless of your intent, would remain, wouldn't it?

aloyisious wrote: »
    This part of POLDPA might cover the informing of a Garda of the above mentioned purpose.....

An Act to protect human life during pregnancy; to make provision for reviews at the
    instigation of a pregnant woman of certain medical opinions given in respect of
    pregnancy; to provide for an offence of intentional destruction of unborn human life;

Link: PROTECTION OF LIFE DURING PREGNANCY ACT 2013 --- page 5 of the PDF - https://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjgro3ljI_LAhVCxQ8KHXFXBYwQFggiMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.irishstatutebook.ie%2Feli%2F2013%2Fact%2F35%2Fenacted%2Fen%2Fpdf&usg=AFQjCNEJCxQQwhbKuv1xDbrIHLr_TsFzPw.
    How?

I don't believe you could be prevented from travelling though, could you?
    I'm sure if they took it seriously they'd inform the relevant authorities of the jurisdiction you were travelling to. Unless it wasn't illegal to kill children in the jurisdiction you were travelling to, in which case there'd be no point. I can't imagine they'd ignore it, just as you say.
    But your right to travel, regardless of your intent, would remain, wouldn't it?

When Gail O'Rouke was charged with assisting her friends suicide (although the charges were later dropped), included was a charge that she had attempted to arrange euthanasia for her friend in a jurisdiction where it is legal. If it was simply a case of a right to travel, how could the state even consider pressing these charges? Would an Irish parent be charged on their return from Belgium if they had taken their terminally ill child there for the purpose of euthanasia? Would the right to travel cover this too?

Would my husband and I be charged on our return to Ireland if we had organised an abortion abroad?

I'm really hopeful that if the very unfortunate situation arises where the people of Ireland are are forced into a vote for or against the murder of unborn children that the Irish people will rise up and vote in favour of keeping the 8th amendment.

People are getting far too confident because of the time wasting vote that was passed last summer, abortion is a different animal completely altogether. The disgusting practice is detested by a large proportion of the population.

When Gail O'Rouke was charged with assisting her friends suicide (although the charges were later dropped), included was a charge that she had attempted to arrange euthanasia for her friend in a jurisdiction where it is legal. If it was simply a case of a right to travel, how could the state even consider pressing these charges?
    She wasn't charged with travelling (or prevented from doing so), she was charged with "aiding, abetting, counselling or procuring the suicide of another, or an attempt by another to commit suicide." The assistance having been provided within the jursidiction of the State. The charges weren't dropped by the way, she was acquitted.
    Would an Irish parent be charged on their return from Belgium if they had taken their terminally ill child there for the purpose of euthanasia? Would the right to travel cover this too?
    They could be; whilst they would have a right to travel, it would still be illegal to assist in the suicide, and arranging the travel for the suicide, or even accompanying the person travelling (as long as it occurred within the State) could be considered assisting, and could lead to a prosecution.
    Would my husband and I be charged on our return to Ireland if we had organised an abortion abroad?
    No; it's not illegal to assist someone to intentionally destroy unborn human life, only to intentionally destroy unborn human life. And the limit of jurisdiction is, as with the offence of assisting a suicide, the jurisdiction of the State.

She wasn't charged with travelling (or prevented from doing so), she was charged with "aiding, abetting, counselling or procuring the suicide of another, or an attempt by another to commit suicide." The assistance having been provided within the jursidiction of the State. The charges weren't dropped by the way, she was acquitted.
    They could be; whilst they would have a right to travel, it would still be illegal to assist in the suicide, and arranging the travel for the suicide, or even accompanying the person travelling (as long as it occurred within the State) could be considered assisting, and could lead to a prosecution.

No; it's not illegal to assist someone to intentionally destroy unborn human life, only to intentionally destroy unborn human life. And the limit of jurisdiction is, as with the offence of assisting a suicide, the jurisdiction of the State.

As you point out though, it is unclear whether or not someone could be charged with assisting suicide by travelling with a person who intends to avail of euthanasia in a jurisdiction where it is legal. So although the person may have had a right to travel, they do not have the right to assist a person seeking euthanasia while travelling, specifically protected.

On the other hand the Protection of Life During Pregnancy Act specifically protects a person travelling to another jurisdiction for the purpose of terminating a pregnancy.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2013/act/35/enacted/en/pdf
    Nothing in this Act shall operate to restrict any person from travelling to another state on the ground that his or her intended conduct there would, if it occurred in the State, constitute an offence under section 22.

Section 22 is;

Destruction of unborn human life
    22. (1) It shall be an offence to intentionally destroy unborn human life.
    (2) A person who is guilty of an offence under this section shall be liable on indictment to a fine or imprisonment for a term not exceeding 14 years, or both.
    (3) A prosecution for an offence under this section may be brought only by or with the consent of the Director of Public Prosecutions.
    Offence by body corporate

The exemption from prosecution for carrying out legal activities in other jurisdictions, that are illegal in Ireland, in this case, only refers to Section 22 of this Act, not any other illegal activities. Therefore it is not simply the right to travel, the Act reads that you have the right to travel specifically to kill a foetus.

As you point out though, it is unclear whether or not someone could be charged with assisting suicide by travelling with a person who intends to avail of euthanasia in a jurisdiction where it is legal. So although the person may have had a right to travel, they do not have the right to assist a person seeking euthanasia while travelling, specifically protected.
    They could be charged; it's unclear if they could be convicted. And they would be charged with assisting the suicide, not 'by travelling'. The travelling isn't illegal, it's the assistance they provide the person who is committing suicide. So they don't have a right to assist a person committing suicide, whether or not they are travelling. But they still have a right to travel, even with someone committing suicide, so long as they don't assist them in the jurisdiction.
    On the other hand the Protection of Life During Pregnancy Act specifically protects a person travelling to another jurisdiction for the purpose of terminating a pregnancy. The exemption from prosecution for carrying out legal activities in other jurisdictions that are illegal in Ireland in this case, only refers to Section 22 of this Act, not any other illegal activities. Therefore it is not simply the right to travel, the Act reads that you have the right to travel specifically to kill a foetus.
    It's not really on the other hand, since assisting suicide has nothing to do with the right to travel.
    However, the Act doesn't confer a right to travel specifically to kill a foetus; it prevents the offence of destroying unborn life being used to restrict the existing right to travel, as is required by the Constitution. The Constitution says one persons right to life may not be used to prevent another exercising their right to travel; the legislation protecting life during pregnancy must observe that requirement, hence Clause 18. Without that Clause 18, the POLDPA is open to challenge and being struck out based on it's Constitutionality, as it could be used to restrict a person contrary to Article 40.3.3.; not just in travel but in the availability of information.

What would be an interesting 'on the other hand' would be if someone could find another expressed right the State is required to defend by the Constitution which could be irreversibly destroyed by a person travelling to another jurisdiction. The X Case judgement seems to hold that the High Court would be entitled (and obliged) in such a case to prevent a person from travelling to do so; it was only because X was suicidal that the Supreme Court overturned the injunction.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

galljga1 wrote: »
    Yeah, old Frosty is a true Christian. One wonders does he have a wife, daughter, female friends, any empathy for anything women face. I would have to say no. Just an angry christian.

It's nothing to do with religion, or misogyny or lack of empathy. It's about a right to life, voted on by the people. I wonder how homosexuals would react if there was a concerted and sustained campaign to strike gay marriage from the constitution.

It's nothing to do with religion, or misogyny or lack of empathy. It's about a right to life, voted on by the people. I wonder how homosexuals would react if there was a concerted and sustained campaign to strike gay marriage from the constitution.

Would you like that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I think you mean marriage. Gay marriage isn't mentioned in the constitution.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement