Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Writing Contest] - THE ARENA

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,469 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Can we go for an 800 word limit? I'm struggling to finish with only 600.

Tell me to feck off if you want. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭The Pooka

Mr E wrote: »
    Can we go for an 800 word limit? I'm struggling to finish with only 600.

Tell me to feck off if you want. :o

Sure :)

I'm hate-writing my way through mine as we speak...

THE NIGHTWATCHMAN

It had been a good haul – if such a word could even be applied to Christmas bounty received post-pubescence. Inherently practical items, bordering on the banal, but that suited him just fine.

Socks. Jocks. A hot water bottle. An iTunes gift voucher.

Specially-designed touchscreen gloves, which Lisa had presented to him – in every sense of the word – in the manner of Q unveiling MI6's latest ingenious gadget ("So you see, Daddy, you’ll be able to stay warm AND text us, all at the same time!")

A set of adult colouring books – "That is, for mindfulness, not erotica," his wife had hastened to explain – to help him while away his downtime.

Blackout curtains (these a specific, albeit boring request).

And, in the sole concession to the notion that presents should include at least a hint of arbitrariness, of aimlessness, of novelty, his Secret Santa at work had gifted him the final item worthy of note: a remote-controlled toy aeroplane. Ages 5 and up! the box boasted, a claim instantly belied by the cover image depicting paternal hands gripping the controls as the adjacent cute child merely pointed skywards, mid-hop, giddy grin. Children could enjoy it, sure, but it was for the adults to steer.

He put all of them to use, in quick succession. The underwear first – thermal, so practically a necessity on the Baltic winter nights that followed. The hot water bottle, for much the same reason. The gift card went towards Joanna Newsom’s latest opus; a singular voice, though one that had always served to soothe him.

He played it during his commute, traversing the long, twisting road leading from his slumbering suburb to the army base. He’d put it on during his breaks, too; perhaps crack open the mindfulness book, colour in a page or two – and for a few brief moments, he’d almost feel at peace.

Then there were the other moments: the time he spent joystick in hand, getting down to the nitty-gritty business of aerial pursuit. Flying high over people’s homes, surveying the murky terrain below, changing course where necessary, locking in on a target when ordered…

And sometimes even getting to press the button, all from the relative comfort and safety of his desk.

He'd watch the resultant flash, follow the immediate aftermath, file a report – if warranted – and then retire to the rec room, headphones in, gloves on, messaging Lisa on What’s App to enquire about her day.

He put all of them to use, save one; the one intended as a cruel joke. Hadn't the enclosed card said as much, with its laddish allusions – How's that for a busman’s holiday, huh??

Every so often, of course, he'd get the urge to try it out; the controls would be far simpler than that of his drone, the machinery much less expensive, but in principle the two should be the same, or similar.

But then his eyes would catch the box cover, his stomach would curdle and he'd stow the toy away once more, shut out the intrusive daylight and presently sink, or not, into fitful sleep.

The wind was blowing so hard that the rain was almost horizontal. A violent flash of lightning silhouetted the small island and derelict house that was to be their final destination. 18 year old Frank was the unofficial leader of the group. Second oldest was Amelia, his next door neighbour in Bantry. Frank was steering the boat, while Amelia and two younger kids clung together for dear life. The waves were throwing the boat around like a toy. They all agreed that this was a terrible idea, but they were past the half way point so it was too late to turn around. Jim, also known as Jiggles, was only 15 but he was as big as a grown-up - his young age belied his strength. The final member of the gang was Conor, Amelia's 9 year old brother.

At the end of their summer holidays, they had been playing in Amelia's attic when Jiggles knocked over an old framed picture, shattering the glass into a zillion pieces. While cleaning it up (or hiding the evidence, depending on how you looked at it), they noticed a yellowed parchment behind the picture. Curiosity got the better of them and they pored over it, under the light of Frank's torch.

"Holy crap, it's a treasure map!"

Two months later it was Halloween mid-term. Weeks of stealing time with Dad's tablet, looking up Google and exploring Google Maps, they figured out that their map lead to a tiny island off the far coast of Whiddy Island. An island off an island off an island, Amelia had joked. It couldn't get more remote than that and it was the perfect hiding place for treasure.

After a particularly violent wave dropped the boat from a height, Conor started to cry and Amelia tried to comfort him. She gave Frank a look to tell him to speed up, and Frank put three fingers in the air. A few minutes later, they made landfall and they all worked together to pull the small boat high up the beach.

Amelia had to shout over the howling wind - "This house better have a roof, Frank."

Despite how near the house looked, the camping rucksacks carried by Frank and Jiggles seemed to catch the wind and made for a tough 15 minutes' walk to cover the distance through the storm. The house was definitely abandoned. Nobody had lived here for a very long time. Frank, Amelia and Conor ran to the nearest window and cupped their hands on the glass to try and see inside. Jiggles was a bit more direct and his right shoulder led a charge at the front door. The rotten lock gave way and the others followed Jiggles inside. There was some water dripping from the roof in places, but it was considerably more sheltered than where they had just been.

It only took a couple of minutes to explore the old bungalow, and a couple more minutes to be sure.

"Where's the tweasure?" said Conor.
    "There is none, dude," said Frank.
    "Or else someone got here before us," said Amelia.
    "ARSEHOLES!" said Jiggles.

Amelia found the driest part of the house to set up the sleeping bags. They were glad she insisted that they pack towels and dry clothes. Half an hour later, they had finished sandwiches, tayto crisps, mars bars and fanta and sat together in the sleeping bags, unable to sleep.

Jiggles got serious for a minute. "What if the storm hasn't stopped by the morning? There is no way I'm going back on that boat if the sea is rough."

"Me neither," said Conor. "No flippin' way."

Amelia and Frank nodded in agreement. "We'll figure it out in the morning. Try and get some sleep."

Sometime in the middle of the night, Jiggles' bladder woke him up. He looked around and noticed that the others were out for the count. He chuckled quietly when he heard that Amelia snored. He carefully tiptoed away from the sleeping group and went outside. The rain had stopped, but the wind was as furious as ever. He went around to the side of the house that was some way sheltered from the wind.

As he started to relieve himself, he noticed something weird. Even though the house was made of stone, the sound of liquid hitting wood was obvious. He redirected his stream and finished up. After he found the source of the sound, he ran in to wake the others.

The transition from grumpiness to excitement was a quick one, and they were all standing around the partially overgrown wooden cellar door a few minutes later. As before, the door was well rotted and easy to get through. Frank's trusty torch led the way into the darkness.

Four simultaneous "wows" broke the silence, followed by a curse word from Jiggles. Both sides of the room were lined with framed paintings, up to ten deep in places.

Conor said "We're gonna need a bigger boat," and the others laughed hysterically.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 896 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fuzzytrooper

Good stuff all round. I'm finding it hard to choose between them.

• Advertisement

Well done TP. :)

Cheers :) Enjoyable round!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

brilliant stuff from both of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

Well done to both of you. Two very impressive entries. It was very hard to make a choice but in the end I felt that Mr E's possibly needed some more background and would be better as a longer story so gave The Pooka the nod on the basis that it was complete.

Yeah I had lots of ideas that I had to drop. More dialogue, more descriptions, coastguards and even some romance.

Would have been great for a 2,000 word VOAT. Hint hint. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭redser7

Yeah I had lots of ideas that I had to drop. More dialogue, more descriptions, coastguards and even some romance.

Would have been great for a 2,000 word VOAT. Hint hint. :o

Remove the word limit but keep a time limit?

Ah no, I think there is still a place for a limited daily challenge.

I'm not sure if you were around for the VOATs (the last one was 7 months ago), but they were extended writing competitions around a word, phrase or theme. One week to write 2,000 words.

For the last one, this was the setup and this was the outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,024 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Question - what was the Pooka's story's other present??
    I've not been able to come up with anything that quite "fits"...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Ficheall wrote: »
    Question - what was the Pooka's story's other present??
    I've not been able to come up with anything that quite "fits"...

It took me a few readings, but I think the other present is the toy plane. It was the "busman's holiday" term that finally did it for me. His day job is handling remote drone strikes on people. So the plane with its happy kid leaves him sour.

The fact that it wasn't immediately clear was some of what swayed me to vote for the other story.

Das Kitty wrote: »
    It took me a few readings, but I think the other present is the toy plane. It was the "busman's holiday" term that finally did it for me. His day job is handling remote drone strikes on people. So the plane with its happy kid leaves him sour.

The fact that it wasn't immediately clear was some of what swayed me to vote for the other story.

Spot on!

It definitely could have done with another pass, but glad that aspect wasn't completely impenetrable :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

The Pooka wrote: »
    It definitely could have done with another pass, but glad that aspect wasn't completely impenetrable :o

I didn't find it impenetrable. I got it on one reading but maybe I can see the dark side more easily than some.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,024 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Ah right, I see my mistake. I did think he was a drone flier, but I thought there was another undisclosed present besides the plane and other stuff mentioned - didn't read it carefully enough.

Got the drone pilot bit but I wasn't sure if he was bitter about not being with his son/family. Still a really good piece overall.

I thought it was because he had taken a demotion in life. He had held an important and responsible position and now he was heading into a sort of second childhood of old age. he felt demeaned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭JustShon

I read it as him disliking the comparison between the happy child's toy and his distinctly less happy job of killing people with a remote controlled drone.

It's well known that civilian "collateral damage" is a side-effect of drone strikes so I read it as very specifically the association with happy children, especially on the packaging, that soured him to the gift since he must have known that his drone strikes were likely to have killed the occasional child.

• Advertisement

Wow, this seems to have sparked quite the discussion! It was supposed to be left open to interpretation - missing his own child, mindful of innocent casualties, or any combination of same... And I like redser7's interpretation too! Thanks all :)

But I had treasure. TREASURE! :)

But I had treasure. TREASURE! :)

That's why I voted for it! arrrrr

I feel like I'm back in a secondary school English class discussing the importance of Atticus Finch's reluctance to use a gun. Interesting though.

Anyone up for a little battle over the weekend? I'm at a loose end this weekend and wouldn't mind giving the keyboard a workout.

Call it a warmup for the main event next week. :)

I'll give it a go :) but can I request that we lift the max word count? I find it hard to write to a limit like that and have to do a frozen

Cool. Say up to 1,000?

Any thoughts on a theme?

Sounds good, cheers. Not a clue! Let's give someone else a couple of hours to suggest something?

As a nod to the late great Mr Bowie, I propose 'Blackstar'

• Advertisement

Cool, I have to go to a funeral over the weekend, so will we say 9pm Sunday night for a deadline?

Advertisement