Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Under 35s, are you taking out Health Insurance?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭van_beano

Technically speaking, can someone just take out a crappy €360 policy for one year, cancel it next year and not have to worry about future loadings on health insurance policies when they're in their 50's? Or have I missed out on something?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,474 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

van_beano wrote: »
    Technically speaking, can someone just take out a crappy €360 policy for one year, cancel it next year and not have to worry about future loadings on health insurance policies when they're in their 50's? Or have I missed out on something?

Nope, it's a new drive to force you to keep what is becoming involuntary health insurance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭van_beano

Nope, it's a new drive to force you to keep what is becoming involuntary health insurance

Thanks, was thinking it would be too simplistic to beat the loadings if that was the case. Health Insurance companies are obviously rubbing their hands in anticipation of bumper years ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭daUbiq

Larbre34 wrote: »
    My brother-in-law in suburban Florida pays $15,300 per year for his family's health insurance (Currently €14,570)

Trust me, it is still cheap in Ireland.

everything costs more in the land of war and profit... who cares about what they pay in that **** hole.

van_beano wrote: »
    Thanks, was thinking it would be too simplistic to beat the loadings if that was the case. Health Insurance companies are obviously rubbing their hands in anticipation of bumper years ahead.

It's to be expected. Fianna Gael want us to pay tax and also pay for everything. The sooner we're rid of them the better.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

Beersmith wrote: »
    Exactly, save the money and earn the interest on it, not give it over to the middle man. If everyone gave up their health insurance there would be no Q skipping and everyone would be seen much earlier for appointments but that system would be too fair!

'Everyone' wouldn't be seen earlier. People without insurance would be seen earlier. People currently with insurance would be seen later. That's pretty much the only justification for paying for insurance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

I was wondering why Denis O'Brien bought the beacon hospital, makes sense now. crafty.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Larbre34 wrote: »
    My brother-in-law in suburban Florida pays $15,300 per year for his family's health insurance (Currently €14,570)

Trust me, it is still cheap in Ireland.

So tell us more how many in the family what cover do they have? Who cares what they pay?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

I used to have it; the monthly payments went up every year, even as I made zero claims. It got incredibly frustrating to find out each year that I was going to be charged more for the same cover despite the fact that I hadn't claimed on a single occasion. I'll probably sign up for it when I hit 35 in order to avoid being hit later in life for the overloading, but it sticks in my craw that private health insurance could ever be considered a necessity in a developed society. It's beyond ludicrous that we don't have a properly functioning public health system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

daUbiq wrote: »
    everything costs more in the land of war and profit... who cares about what they pay in that **** hole.

I dunno - it's pretty hard to beat our 51% income tax bracket and 23% VAT.

Unemployed/Lower paid workers will be able to afford a higher standard of living in Ireland.
    Higher paid workers/independently wealthy will be able to afford a higher standard of living in the US.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭I swindled the NSA

I love the complacency of the "Im young and healthy I don't need health insurance" brigade.

Makes about as much sense as saying:
    "Im a safe driver -I don't need car insurance" or "I live in the nice part of town -I don't need house insurance"

What jobs have ye that the employer pays for the workers private health insurance?

You would be surprised how good the benefits are from some large multinationals.

I have friends working for one in particular, not entry level obviously, but they receive a car allowance or a company car and a fuel card to use as much as they want. They do absolutely no work miles so the fuel card is for using for their own private use and is given to them as such same with the cars or car allowance purely for their own private use. They also get health insurance along with other benefits and are paid very well on top of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,252 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

What are the penalties if you don't take it out??

This is a swindle of the highest order, an alarming link between corporations and government has appeared under the Fianna Gael adminstration. Shouldn't the government fix the health service instead? They're more interested in helping big business than the citizens of Ireland; many of whom struggle to make ends meet and now they're practically forcing us to buy health insurance.

What is the tax we pay actually used for? Besides public service pensions?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

You would be paying BIK on both though - depending on your tax band, could be quite a bit!

This is true! Quite a large chunk of actually. You get some back, but only a few hundred as far as I remember. I do think of cancelling it the odd time, we get free short doctors visits at work anyway, and that's the only time I see a doctor (to get a prescription!). But I suppose it's good to have that extra peace of mind. I never had health insurance in this country growing up and got on fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

Autosport wrote: »
    What are the penalties if you don't take it out??

AIDS

Patww79 wrote: »

You just pay tax on the benefit so it's basically going to be half the price you would pay for the same plan yourself, which is a fair difference. It's most likely discounted also compared to the price you would get ringing up yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

Did anyone take health insurance out recently? What should you ensure is accounted for in the plan? What is the average yearly cost?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭coffeepls

Did anyone take health insurance out recently? What should you ensure is accounted for in the plan? What is the average yearly cost?

It's a confusing thing to know what's best, so I'll just give you a basic outline of my renewal.
    I renewed mine recently - it's about €1200 for the year. That said, you could go cheaper than that, and obviously a lot dearer. Around the €1000 mark is fairly standard.

There's things that I didn't want covered in my policy like GP visits and dentist visits, plus there isn't heart disease in my family so I don't want to pay extra to have 100% cover in a private hospital for open heart surgery - I also don't want to pay extra to have a private room in a hospital. Basically my health insurance is all to do with hospital cover, consultants, scans - all hospital related stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭TG1

I've had it for years, mostly to keep my dad happy as its something he likes to go on about, but last year my sister (under 35) suddenly became very ill, requiring multiple tests and scans and a stay in a private hospital. This was covered by her insurance.

I (again, under 35 and healthy) then had a trip to a&e and a two week hospital stay which would have cost me €750 on the public system, and cost the insurance company €14000. This will also require follow up appointments and more costs which will be covered. I also availed of a swift care clinic and my insurance covered about half the cost of that at about €150. I required an x-Ray and a cast during that trip and this was done in an hour.

So on my €1000 policy I saved €900 and at least a full day. My sister saved a fortune on her similar policy.

We are both under 35 and healthy neither of us were expecting what happened us. Last year was a lesson to me on the importance of insurance and I will not go without it now!

I have a medical card, but I took out the most basic health insurance plan at 40 euro a month before I turn 35 shortly. It doesn't cover anything my medical card doesn't, but at least now when I'm in a position to pay for full cover, I won't be penalised for being over 35. I get the impression that was the point of this basic plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

Medical Card, bitchez!

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭SATSUMA

I don't have it never had a problem with the public system. If I need a consultant I pay privately (€115-180). If I need a scan I go to euro medic. ... 20% tax back can be claimed.... If it's not urgent I go on the waiting list.... or I go private until the public appointment comes... All works for me. The few hundred I pay is worth it to pay as I need it!

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭al22

Insurance like VHI provide money to pay for your hospital expences only
    and really do not care about the quality of medical services.

When tried to complain, got an answer - it is a matter between you and a hospital. You can go to your solicitor and to courts if not happy with a hospital services... That is it.

Doctors are good and very good usually nurses too. Management is not fit to manage properly, My own opinion being a few times in a public hospital.

I think St Jame's not very fit to treat patients. Their so called Transition Unit is a joke - no radiators at all. And yhere is obody to complain if you wish. Broken toilets and taps for days, conditioning is a joke too - very cold rooms usually - and nobody cares. Patients must to sleep in ther winter clothes shivering.

Health insurer do not care anything but money.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,995 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Private health insurance, what a scam!

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭MrMorooka

I get worried that I don't have any, but I don't think I could afford it without moving to somewhere with lower rent or moving job/making more money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

Thanks all for the replies. I gave it some consideration back in April when the new rule about over 35s came in, but I had gone off the idea then. I hate paying for things 'I may not need' yet I'd always get travel/car insurance etc so what's different about health insurance? It's probably more important than either of those 2 things! I'm relatively healthy, no underlying issues etc but I guess you never know. I had a look at a health insurance comparison site but there didn't seem to be a great difference between some of the lower <€600 plans. Will I need to be paying more than this in order to get anything 'decent'?

Also, is there a clause where you have to be paying for a certain length of time before you claim?

Thanks for the information so far, it's a start!

Advertisement