Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE: Late Date

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Tim Reilly

What about John Kelly as the new host of Late Date ?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,163 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Tim Reilly wrote: »
    What about John Kelly as the new host of Late Date ?

No. No. No

No. No. No

The mystery train was very popular

The mystery train was very popular

That was at an earlier time was it?

Could t take Kelly at that hour, Lillian is the woman for that slot, perfectly suited.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,948 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

That was at an earlier time was it?

Could t take Kelly at that hour, Lillian is the woman for that slot, perfectly suited.

Kelly certainly has the voice for it. But he'd need to go a bit mainstream if he was to get that slot I think.

Carol Moran for me. She's been doing early mornings recently and the music was brilliant.

• Advertisement

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Kelly certainly has the voice for it. But he'd need to go a bit mainstream if he was to get that slot I think.

Carol Moran for me. She's been doing early mornings recently and the music was brilliant.

That auld Northern accent would annoy people at that hour, I would suggest.

People need to be relaxed before going to sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,715 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Ronan Collins to the Late Date slot, and Cathal Murray to take over at midday.

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Ronan Collins to the Late Date slot, and Cathal Murray to take over at midday.
    Are you stating that, or suggesting it?

Don't think you'd get Ronan staying up that late these days (dates)!

Cathal Murray is another class presenter, if he was willing to do the nighttime slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,715 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Are you stating that, or suggesting it?

Don't think you'd get Ronan staying up that late these days (dates)!

Cathal Murray is another class presenter, if he was willing to do the nighttime slot.
    Just a suggestion, I think Ronan would love the extra 90 minutes of airtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 jimceart

I think it's good to rest presenters from time to time as even the best can become stale over time with the exception of Larry Gogan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭Trebor176

I've thought about Marian Farrell, formerly of RTE and 4fm, being a good contender. I found her very pleasant to listen to on Smooth & Easy on 4fm, and the music played was great. I don't think she's involved in radio anymore, though.

Trebor176 wrote: »
    I've thought about Marian Farrell, formerly of RTE and 4fm, being a good contender. I found her very pleasant to listen to on Smooth & Easy on 4fm, and the music played was great. I don't think she's involved in radio anymore, though.

She is probably pension age too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Will the new presenter of late date weeknights be based in Cork studios when Alf leaves?

Will the new presenter of late date weeknights be based in Cork studios when Alf leaves?
    I'd say that depends on who gets the gig.

I'd say that depends on who gets the gig.

I thought RTE Radio's policy was that a certain quota of daily radio shows must come from regional studios, or was that gotten rid of when they reviewed their regional studio policy for cost cutting and moved most of them into Institute of Technology campus's?

I thought RTE Radio's policy was that a certain quota of daily radio shows must come from regional studios, or was that gotten rid of when they reviewed their regional studio policy for cost cutting and moved most of them into Institute of Technology campus's?

Late date on weeknights came from Dublin for years with Val Joyce, it only moved to Cork when Creedon got the gig against his will in 2006. As for regional studios, sure Lyric have an expensive hq in Limerick but about 50% + of their presenters are broadcasting from Mountrose.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,035 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Late date on weeknights came from Dublin for years with Val Joyce, it only moved to Cork when Creedon got the gig against his will in 2006. As for regional studios, sure Lyric have an expensive hq in Limerick but about 50% + of their presenters are broadcasting from Mountrose.

Lillian Smith was presenting weekend and fill in editions of Late Date from Cork studio before Val was dropped from the schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

I would be surprised if Late Date came directly from Cork if certain presenters are on the roster such as: Aonghus McAnally or Fiachna Ó Braonáin as I don't believe that they are based out of Cork most of the time.

However; it has tended to come from the South when Cork based presenters like Alf McCarthy, Lillian Smith or John Creedon are in hot seat.

Of course much of the increased presence of RTÉ Cork came about after the demise of RTÉ Radio Cork (aka RTÉ Cork Local Radio, Cork 89FM) when RTÉ chose to expand the old FM3 Classical Music Service as an opt-out to RTÉ Radio One schedule to make way for a whole new channel called RTÉ lyric fm 96-99FM which would not have gone down very well in Cork at the time as it meant the sacrifice of RTÉ Cork Local Radio after many years of broadcasting to a very high standard. RTÉ promised to deliver other projects to their RTÉ Cork offices and so many radio & tv programmes are now coming directly from Leeside as a result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Mr Sea Wolf

McCarthy has only been presenting late date since autumn 2009 so it's not really a big deal like when val Joyce was leaving.

I always found McCarthy too loud and brash for that gig

• Advertisement

McCarthy has only been presenting late date since autumn 2009 so it's not really a big deal like when val Joyce was leaving.

Yes, but he had over 35 years with RTE and Cork listeners are remembering him in particular from his 20 years with RTE Cork.

Although having 6 years in the one radio slot is a rarity in RTE these days

Yes, but he had over 35 years with RTE and Cork listeners are remembering him in particular from his 20 years with RTE Cork.

Although having 6 years in the one radio slot is a rarity in RTE these days

He didn't seem to be doing much except stand in work from 2000 till 2009.

I would be surprised if Late Date came directly from Cork if certain presenters are on the roster such as: Aonghus McAnally or Fiachna Ó Braonáin as I don't believe that they are based out of Cork most of the time.

However; it has tended to come from the South when Cork based presenters like Alf McCarthy, Lillian Smith or John Creedon are in hot seat.

I must correct an earlier post as I've since discovered from an Irish Examiner news article covering the retirement of Alf McCarthy as a presenter of Late Date after more than 10 Years in the hot seat. Alf had been Cork based for many years but he later relocated to Dublin four years ago to join his partner. I understand that Alf had wished to continue working on Late Date but RTÉ would not bend the rules even though he had been on contract with the station since 15th of November last which had marked his 65th birthday. Prior to that he was a member of RTÉ Staff.

Fascinating article and background about Alf McCarthy on the below link taken from the Irish Examiner newspaper:

http://www.irishexaminer.com/lifestyle/features/rte-presenter-alf-mccarthy-hangs-up-his-microphone-for-the-last-time-tonight-373583.html

He didn't seem to be doing much except stand in work from 2000 till 2009.

Alf McCarthy did a lot more both inside and outside of RTÉ which some people may/may not recall or perhaps just did not know. I had forgotten about his involvement on some shows because I was either always at work during PM Live (a daytime TV show) back in mid-late '90s and I was often out of the house in the evenings when shows like The Lyrics Board were broadcast. He was also heavily involved with a programme called Down Here With a View To Above which gave a unique Cork perspective at a time when most media and official TV/Radio in Ireland nearly always came out of Dublin 4 apart from occasional short reports from Regional News Reporters here and there. "Down Here With A View To Above" would have given rare critical exposure for almost 30 minutes once a week on prime time RTÉ 1 tv schedules back in the mid-late '80s. If anything Alf probably made it a little easier for other Cork based colleagues to expand into other projects both within RTÉ or at other media outlets at a later stage. Other colleagues included: John Creedon, Tony O'Donoghue, Mary Wilson, Geri McLoughlain, Tim Desmond, Lillian Smith and so on etc; Alf was still doing his hugely popular lunch-time radio show "Cork About Noon" on RTÉ Cork Local Radio in those years too as far as I recall. He worked a lot with people like Donna O'Sullivan, Barry Mescall, Caimin Jones, Dan Collins, Steve Bolger and many more.

Alf McCarthy will be sorely missed once he finishes up for the very last time at 02:00am on Thursday 31st December. I hope Alf has a happy (yet busy) retirement as he sure did Cork, Munster and indeed Ireland some valuable service down through the years.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/lifestyle/features/rte-presenter-alf-mccarthy-hangs-up-his-microphone-for-the-last-time-tonight-373583.html

I must correct an earlier post as I've since discovered from an Irish Examiner news article covering the retirement of Alf McCarthy as a presenter of Late Date after more than 10 Years in the hot seat. Alf had been Cork based for many years but he later relocated to Dublin four years ago to join his partner. I understand that Alf had wished to continue working on Late Date but RTÉ would not bend the rules even though he had been on contract with the station since 15th of November last which had marked his 65th birthday. Prior to that he was a member of RTÉ Staff.

Fascinating article and background about Alf McCarthy on the below link taken from the Irish Examiner newspaper:

.irishexaminer.com/lifestyle/features/rte-presenter-alf-mccarthy-hangs-up-his-microphone-for-the-last-time-tonight-373583.html[/url]

I'd have never guessed he was broadcasting from Mountrose. He defiantly hasn't presented late date for more then 10 years. I'm afraid he comes across as a tad attention seeking in that article, reminds me of those articles about Nicki Hayes in the 00s.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

I want to wish Alf well in his retirement. However, I preferred when Lilian was presenting. I'd love if she returned to presenting the programme on a regular basis.

I used to get irritated at the amount of times Alf ignored my requests but I wasn't alone, he seemed to read out lots of requests but failed to play the tune that was requested. Having said all that I do think that there are lots of lonely/bereaved people who will miss his company and his banter. Over the last few weeks it got a bit much, every second or third note he read out referred to how brilliant he was, every night was a tribute show lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

I'm glad he's going. He was painful to listen to and never played requests so I don't know why people bothered texting him in, akso he's only there a wet weekend , what's the big deal , you'd swear it was the end of an era the way people are ****eing on .
    I wish him well in his retirement , hopefully it's a proper retirement and not an "rte retirement " , with plenty of locum jobs and other gigs .

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Oops69 wrote: »
    I'm glad he's going. He was painful to listen to and never played requests so I don't know why people bothered texting him in, akso he's only there a wet weekend , what's the big deal , you'd swear it was the end of an era the way people are ****eing on .
    I wish him well in his retirement , hopefully it's a proper retirement and not an "rte retirement " , with plenty of locum jobs and other gigs .

Have to agree Thank god. What's in the pipeline though

• Registered Users Posts: 13,035 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

I understand that Alf had wished to continue working on Late Date but RTÉ would not bend the rules even though he had been on contract with the station since 15th of November last which had marked his 65th birthday. Prior to that he was a member of RTÉ Staff.

I brought Val Joyce into work a few times and God knows he had to have been a lot older than 65 and he was kept on. Or maybe he just looked a lot older :)

• Advertisement

I brought Val Joyce into work a few times and God knows he had to have been a lot older than 65 and he was kept on. Or maybe he just looked a lot older :)

He was 77 when he did his final gig.

Advertisement