Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW v Skoda Advice

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    Hehe I guess you're under 35 and don't remember them as the iron curtain sh1t boxes they were for most of their history. In the 80's every school boy had a collection of Lada and Skoda jokes.

I'm under 35 and I remember them, now if only I could remember a few

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭rock22

Hehe I guess you're under 35 and don't remember them as the iron curtain sh1t boxes they were for most of their history. In the 80's every school boy had a collection of Lada and Skoda jokes.

This reputation seems to only date from around 1990s in UK.
    I remember them in the 60's 70.s when Skoda did come from behind the iron curtain, They were always considered basic but extremely well made. They were idiosyncratic ( iron head on an aluminium block !) but I never heard any comments at the time concerning their quality.

They were certainly never confused with lada

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

Imagine this thread title in 1988. Skoda sure have come a long way. A masterclass in brand reinvention by VAG.

So bad even Terry McCann wouldn't be seen in one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Sigerson wrote: »
    Same situation so really.

Just the "prestige" attached to having a BMW is attractive but I suppose you can get better specs in other cars for a lesser price.

The VRS has 184 BHP and would only cost an extra €200 in terms of insurance.

Yep, but a brand new VRS with all the toys has a certain level of prestige too.

I understand what you're thinking, but there's always next time too. I'll get a 4 series M Sport in 3 years, but it was just stretching me a little too far this time. If you're a student I assume you'll be buying many more cars, it's nice to be able to upgrade a little each time.

Saying that, I do like the 3 series. It's a lovely car. But needs to be M Sport spec for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Where did i go wrong lol when i was working full time i drove a van and now as a mature student i couldnt afford a 1990 rustbox

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Worth mentioning a new VRS is about 34.5k plus whatever extras like metallic paint, nav, upgrade wheels etc. If the 3 series is the same price that's an awful lot for a 3 year old 4 cylinder 3 series.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭bidiots

Where did i go wrong lol when i was working full time i drove a van and now as a mature student i couldnt afford a 1990 rustbox

Absolutely this, did well to feed myself as a student AND a bus pass.... Hell I'm working 20 year's and couldn't think of buying new!

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭chriity139

VRS hands down. BMW are nothing special until you start getting into the big engine models.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Student with a 35k car? I'd take the new one, sell it, and give the parents back 34k. Buy a run around.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

was in a VRS taxi the other day, the driver said he picked up a demo model with 5k on the clock for 30k...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

368100 wrote: »
    I'm under 35 and I remember them, now if only I could remember a few
    What do you call a Skoda with two exhausts? A wheelbarrow
    What do you call a Skoda with a sunroof? A skip

Those were the classics.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

What do you call a Skoda with two exhausts? A wheelbarrow
    What do you call a Skoda with a sunroof? A skip

Those were the classics.

I think Lada had dibs on those.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Fairly interchangeable really!

Ah lads, the best one was why does a Skoda have a heated back window...tut tut...can't believe ye missed that:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭coolbeans

chriity139 wrote: »
    VRS hands down. BMW are nothing special until you start getting into the big engine models.

Agree with this. skoda every time. No envy or prestige with the likes of a 520d for example or anything below it. 318 I just think is a boggo Beamer. Ok car but certainly nothing special. Gimme a specced up Skoda with 40 more horses out of the factory any day. I reckon you need to be spending at least €70k plus to get something special or prestige from the BMW stable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

To be honest I think the lada jokes were recycled UK Skoda jokes.

Lada was big for a while in Ireland in the late 80's. The big selling point was a new car for under £5,000. It helped that the new reg system started in 1987.

Skoda was big in the UK Before lada appeared here. I don't remember seeing many of the communist era Skodas here.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,226 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

To be honest I think the lada jokes were recycled UK Skoda jokes.

Lada was big for a while in Ireland in the late 80's. The big selling point was a new car for under £5,000. It helped that the new reg system started in 1987.

Skoda was big in the UK Before lada appeared here. I don't remember seeing many of the communist era Skodas here.

I remember a fair few Skodas, they stood out because they were rear engined. I would agree that there were more Ladas and FSO Polonezs than Skodas though. Definitely lets of jokes too.

"Marcusm wrote: »
    FSO Polonezs

Ha forgot about those Yugoslav yokes!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Agree with this. skoda every time. No envy or prestige with the likes of a 520d for example or anything below it. 318 I just think is a boggo Beamer. Ok car but certainly nothing special. Gimme a specced up Skoda with 40 more horses out of the factory any day. I reckon you need to be spending at least €70k plus to get something special or prestige from the BMW stable.

Well if you want to go for a new BMW, that may be the case, there is a2006 760 on carzone asking 13k with several months tax! Or any number of older s class, a8 , 7 series barges being literally given away... If I did have 70k and had to spend it on a new car, it would be the a7 id be buying I reckon ...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,389 ✭✭✭cml387

Ha forgot about those Yugoslav yokes!
    Polish. The Yugoslav yokes were Yugos,basically a downgraded Fiat 128.

• Advertisement

cml387 wrote: »
    Polish. The Yugoslav yokes were Yugos,basically a downgraded Fiat 128.

Oh yeah. The marketing team must have been up all night coming up with that name!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Falcon L

Lada, FSO, Yugo etc were all a good step up from Skoda. One of the RWD models had a bonnet (the front) that lifted at the side and flopped around like cooking foil. Can't remember which one... 110 maybe?

I can't look at an Octavia without seeing an old model Passat, built on licence. I know it isn't, but... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

MarkR wrote: »
    Student with a 35k car? I'd take the new one, sell it, and give the parents back 34k. Buy a run around.

Who cares if he's a student and somehow has that to spend on a car! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭blackbox

Sigerson wrote: »
    Hey everyone, I need some advice....

131 BMW
    M Sport

or

161 Skoda Octavia VRS
    184 BHP

Same price, which would you choose? IF, you were a student.

When I was a student, the choice was ride a bike or walk.

You must have a great summer job.

MidMan25 wrote: »
    Who cares if he's a student and somehow has that to spend on a car! :rolleyes:

The begrudgers mainly. Could be a car, a holiday, a fancy phone, a mars bar, anything really. But one things for certain - someone will begrudge it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

The begrudgers mainly. Could be a car, a holiday, a fancy phone, a mars bar, anything really. But one things for certain - someone will begrudge it.

Sure we're a nation of begrudgers :P

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Zurbaran

For the price of a new VRS you could get a 131 320 MSport. I'd have the BMW every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,739 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Falcon L wrote: »
    I can't look at an Octavia without seeing an old model Passat, built on licence. I know it isn't, but... :D

Then there was the now few gen old Superb which looks exactly like a streched B5.5 Passat with a Skoda front-end

800px-Skoda_Superb_blau_Heck.JPG

Volkswagen-Passat-2000-800-02.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

Ah lads, the best one was why does a Skoda have a heated back window...tut tut...can't believe ye missed that:)

What's the answer?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Falcon L

Keeps your hands warm when you're pushing it. :D

Advertisement