Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread VI: End of the MOC [Revenge of the STH]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,604 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

ArmchairQB wrote: »
    Pretty sure they are interested in getting him in anticipation (yet again) of qualifying for the AP

They really should this year. I know that was true last year, and the year before But they really should this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭ArmchairQB

errlloyd wrote: »
    They really should this year. I know that was true last year, and the year before But they really should this year.

Yeah think the same myself. It would be a good move for Madigan and no one would blame him for looking after No.1 at this stage altough himself and Henson would have to battle it out over image rights and who gets the most:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭JPNelsforearm

stephen_n wrote: »
    500k a year! Is there something we don't see in Madigan?

What? He's class, Gopperth is on close to that at Wasps, and Gopperth is pure ****e

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

What? He's class, Gopperth is on close to that at Wasps, and Gopperth is pure ****e

Yet Madigan couldn't get ahead of him at Leinster. That didn't happen because MOC was desperate to sabotage the club. It happened because Mads, for all his raw talent, has very serious deficits in his game at 10.

I saw Gopperth make horrendous mistakes and have **** game after **** game, yet Madigan has one bad game and he's getting hooked. Look at Murray in Munster, Munster shipped off the best 9 in the country, and played Murray until he became good. There definitely was a personality clash between MOC and Mads, Madigan was on a much shorter leash compared to the journeyman ahead of him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

I saw Gopperth make horrendous mistakes and have **** game after **** game, yet Madigan has one bad game and he's getting hooked. Look at Murray in Munster, Munster shipped off the best 9 in the country, and played Murray until he became good. There definitely was a personality clash between MOC and Mads, Madigan was on a much shorter leash compared to the journeyman ahead of him.

Sequence of events slightly muddled there.

Gopperth is an excellent player and he did a fine job in difficult circumstances. Wasps have now trampled Leinster and Toulon with Ruairi Jackson at fly-half, I expect them to improve again when Gopperth is back for rounds 3-6.

That's almost exactly not what happened.

Sequence of events slightly muddled there.

Gopperth is an excellent player and he did a fine job in difficult circumstances. Wasps have now trampled Leinster and Toulon with Ruairi Jackson at fly-half, I expect them to improve again when Gopperth is back for rounds 3-6.

Wouldn't it be hilarious if Gopperth started and they lost their next four games on the bounce. Hardyharharhar

That's almost exactly not what happened.

The point is would a NZ franchise bring in Jeremy Staunton to play in front of an Aaron Cruden or Beuden Barrett?

The point is would a NZ franchise bring in Jeremy Staunton to play in front of an Aaron Cruden or Beuden Barrett?

You can't mention Jeremy Staunton without linking this article. It is a rule, it is worth a read. I might just read it again.

http://dementedmole.com/2012/06/06/the-man-who-fell-to-earth/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Madigan had more than just one bad game. In fact in the last few years I can only remember Madigan having one good game at 10 (Northampton away). He's massively overrated by a whole bunch of people because he looks exciting. The simple fact of the matter is though that at the basics of out-half play he has very real issues. His passing is the most unsympathetic passing I've seen from a 10 - he fires balls at people rather than passing it to them. His kicking from hand is hugely unreliable - be it up and unders, territory or touch finders the quality can vary wildly inside a single 80 minute period. He takes on far too much ball himself and is too unpredictable, which might sound and look great at times but it doesn't help those around him at all. And a massive part of an out-halves game is to create for those around him.

NufcNavan wrote: »
    Can't see much of a crowd at it.

I'll be there shouting my head off even if we're already practically out and if we lose I'll still be in my seat at the final whistle. I expect a pretty good attendance to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

I'll be there shouting my head off even if we're already practically out and if we lose I'll still be in my seat at the final whistle. I expect a pretty good attendance to be honest.

Might depend a bit on how we go between this and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

Madigan should go, primarily for the money, but mainly because nobody in Leinster Branch really gives two fcuks about him.

J10 going to Racing was supposed to be his golden opportunity to lay claim to the 10 jersey, but he's never been given any sort of consistent time to prove himself one way or another.

Yes, he could go to Bristol and turn out to be a shambles having been given the time and enough rope (I hope he proves otherwise), but for the money and the chance, I'd never begrudge him.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,283 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

You can't mention Jeremy Staunton without linking this article. It is a rule, it is worth a read. I might just read it again.

i love this line
    Unfortunately, outhalf is a position where one isn’t enough, but two can be too many.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I think it's inevitable that Madigan will move on eventually. That'll be a good thing for bother him and Leinster imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,237 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Eponymous wrote: »
    Madigan should go, primarily for the money, but mainly because nobody in Leinster Branch really gives two fcuks about him.

J10 going to Racing was supposed to be his golden opportunity to lay claim to the 10 jersey, but he's never been given any sort of consistent time to prove himself one way or another.

Yes, he could go to Bristol and turn out to be a shambles having been given the time and enough rope (I hope he proves otherwise), but for the money and the chance, I'd never begrudge him.

Is it not much more simply a case that he's never looked like the best option at no.10 during Sexton's time at Racing? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

It's hilarious that people still think madigan is a better out half than gopperth.

Put the pitch forks away lads.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,283 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

.ak wrote: »
    It's hilarious that people still think madigan is a better out half than gopperth.

same people who think he was MOCs man....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

.ak wrote: »

I dont think its that hilarious, they are both clearly flawed but so are most 10s outside the very top tier, and theyre both good at their own things. I dont really believe the 500k p/a rumour but I would not be at all surprised if a club in England or France would be willing to pay more/a bigger salary for Madigan than Gopperth

• Advertisement

Presume team will be named on Thursday.

I'm going to guess:

McGrath Strauss Moore
    Toner McCarthy
    Ruddock SOB Murphy
    Reddan Sexton
    Fitz Te'ooo
    McFaddan, ISA, Kearney Jnr.

All depending on injuries and haven't been following who is recovered etc so some of above could be ruled out. Hope our Scrum functions and there is some Lacey related drama to upset our northern cousins.

I'm going to guess:

McGrath Strauss Moore
    Toner McCarthy
    Ruddock SOB Murphy
    Reddan Sexton
    Fitz Te'ooo

All depending on injuries and haven't been following who is recovered etc so some of above could be ruled out. Hope our Scrum functions and there is some Lacey related drama to upset our northern cousins.

I think any WC players short of gametime will now get throw in. Expect to see Madigan and Kirchener starting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭S12b

I'm going to guess:

McGrath Strauss Moore
    Toner McCarthy
    Ruddock SOB Murphy
    Reddan Sexton
    Fitz Te'ooo

Has Heaslip picked up a knock?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,077 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Brilliant piece, you'd despair at how much talent was wasted in this country before professionalism.

Looks like Nacewa sat out training yesterday but Rob Kearney was involved. I'd nearly rest Kearney again and give Kirchner a run.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭ArmchairQB

Looks like Nacewa sat out training yesterday but Rob Kearney was involved. I'd nearly rest Kearney again and give Kirchner a run.

Kearney needs a run of games if he is back fit

Here Rob is big, has decent hands, is quick and loves running straight. Have we had a proper discussion of him playing on the wing and Isa playing fullback when both are fit? That was how it was in the early years of ISA right (before reversing in the golden years)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭scott1974

I'm going to guess:

McGrath Strauss Moore
    Toner McCarthy
    Ruddock SOB Murphy
    Reddan Sexton
    Fitz Te'ooo

Struass and SOB failed the HIA tests and won't be available for this week.
    I'd say it'll be a bit more of a mixed team than that..

Here Rob is big, has decent hands, is quick and loves running straight. Have we had a proper discussion of him playing on the wing and Isa playing fullback when both are fit? That was how it was in the early years of ISA right (before reversing in the golden years)

No, I don't think Kearney ever played wing and Nacewa full-back. Nacewa only really got a run at FB when Kearney was injured (mumps?) for the closing stages of 2008-9 season, turned out he was actually half decent there...

RK started his pro career on the wing alright, for both Leinster and Ireland, but it was when Girve was the FB. Think Kearney actually played centre a couple of times too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

Kearney played on the wing for Leinster when he broke into the team and Girv was still playing. Since Girv retired I can't recall a single occasion where Kearney has started anywhere other than at fullback for Leinster - no doubt there's one somewhere but Nacewa only played at fullback when Kearney wasn't playing.

As an aside I don't think that Kearney is that big is he? More of a wiry build with professionalism adding some muscle but fundamentally not a big lump.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement