Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My brother wants to join the Lions of Rojava

Options
  • 30-10-2015 1:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭

Hes 48 lived in NY since 1988, was once a member of the FCA( thats his military experience) and is most likely hitting mid life crisis after a few divorces. He owns a ****load of guns mostly shotguns and one Springfield sniper rifle i got him.
    On 21 October 2014, YPG launched the "Lions of Rojava" Facebook page as a recruitment center for foreign volunteers.[19][20] At least ten U.S. volunteers have fought alongside the YPG, including three U.S. Army veterans,[21][22][23][24] as has at least one Canadian Army veteran.[25]

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/04/magazine/meet-the-american-vigilantes-who-are-fighting-isis.html

So AH do I dissuade him or encourage him, bear in mind encourage will most likely lead to an ISIS/Daesha "video"?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

I dunno, sounds just as likely he could end up on CNN under the headline "High School Shooting"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭tommyboy2222

Encourage him. He'll die doing something he loves. Shooting people.

And you can impress people by telling them your brother was on a Lions tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭TheLastMohican

Let him go. The world can do with one loser less!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Let him go. The world can do with one loser less!

or a couple dozen terrorists less!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭TheLastMohican

In the grand scheme of things "we are but beads of sweat in the armpit of the great frog!"

Terrorist ...... Freedom Fighter ......... Swami ....... Cynic ......... Christian, Jew Moslem.

We are bipeds ...... full stop.

Peace!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭sonny.knowles

Ideally both.

OP, get your brother to embed explosives into his body with wiring in his neck that sets it off it tampered with or cut.

When he is beheaded, the wires are cut, the explosives detonate, killing all the ISIS fu**heads in the vicinity.

Happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Hes 48 lived in NY since 1988, was once a member of the FCA( thats his military experience) and is most likely hitting mid life crisis after a few divorces. He owns a ****load of guns mostly shotguns and one Springfield sniper rifle i got him.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/04/magazine/meet-the-american-vigilantes-who-are-fighting-isis.html

So AH do I dissuade him or encourage him, bear in mind encourage will most likely lead to an ISIS/Daesha "video"?

FFS he's your brother. Do you want to see him die because he decided to get caught up in the oil wars ?

Why does he want to do this ? Is is some sort of good-vs-evil battle that he thinks he is going to do "some good" in ?
    All sides of that conflict are fucked in the head.
    Assad is a genocidaire, IS are genocidaires, The US are only involved for the hydrocarbons and to justify their defence budget. Putin is only involved because of the strategic value of the Black sea and the hydrocarbons. The Saudi's have stood back and let the whole thing happen (if not funded most of it), and it's a matter of time imo before something goes thermonuclear in the region and kicks off WW3.
    He'd be far better off moving to Montana and getting himself some moose tags and using his guns to fill a freezer full of deliciousness, plenty of space up there to satiate any mid-life crisis.

If he is determined enough, he is going to do it anyway, but it's certainly worth having the "please don't do this, for me" conversation.

Don't let him run away and die in the desert, enough of that bullsh1t happened last centuries when the poor bastards didn't have a choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Martial9

Tell him that he will miss Pats victories!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Tell to:
    1) Get laid
    2 Get drunk
    3) Give a load of money to charity. There's bound to be one for the Irishy/Syriany thing.
    4) Cop himself on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Get him to play Angry Birds. That will distract him and hello him vent all that anger.

• Advertisement

If his only experience is the FCA, surely he'll fail any basic requirements that they may have, or he himself will bail early. Would have thought most mercenary types would be ex army, where they'd have some experience and like that lifestyle and danger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

What ya mean a few divorces, how many times was he married ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

it's all fun and games until someone loses an eye.
    Or a head.

that linked article doesn't make it look to appealing either; he's no business out there at 48.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

I used to be in the boy scouts, and I'm thinking I may join too. He has the expertise and experience from a few years in a neutral, peace time reserve force then I can't see what could go wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

You got your brother a sniper rifle for his birthday? A fucking sniper rifle....

• Registered Users Posts: 20,175 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

He's old enough to know better. Tell him to get himself a Harley-Davidson and "Peter Fonda" it up and down Route 66 a few times. Oh and, drink loads of beer. :cool:

smash wrote: »
    You got your brother a sniper rifle for his birthday? A fucking sniper rifle....

He's probably talking about the M1903 Thirty-Ought-Six, something of an old classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,139 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

It hilarious that people like you and the loser referenced in the OP actually think they would go over to Syria and be able to just start killing terrorists, never mind a couple of dozen of them. So naive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭eamonnq

It hilarious that people like you and the loser referenced in the OP actually think they would go over to Syria and be able to just start killing terrorists, never mind a couple of dozen of them. So naive.

Bet you 3 marbles, he can.:P

Well if he's any good with the old 30-06 he'll probably drop a few of them from 500 yards or so before they tear him several new ones. At least there'd be that. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,790 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

FFS he's your brother. Do you want to see him die because he decided to get caught up in the oil wars ?

Why does he want to do this ? Is is some sort of good-vs-evil battle that he thinks he is going to do "some good" in ?
    All sides of that conflict are fucked in the head.
    Assad is a genocidaire, IS are genocidaires, The US are only involved for the hydrocarbons and to justify their defence budget. Putin is only involved because of the strategic value of the Black sea and the hydrocarbons. The Saudi's have stood back and let the whole thing happen (if not funded most of it), and it's a matter of time imo before something goes thermonuclear in the region and kicks off WW3.
    He'd be far better off moving to Montana and getting himself some moose tags and using his guns to fill a freezer full of deliciousness, plenty of space up there to satiate any mid-life crisis.

If he is determined enough, he is going to do it anyway, but it's certainly worth having the "please don't do this, for me" conversation.

Don't let him run away and die in the desert, enough of that bullsh1t happened last centuries when the poor bastards didn't have a choice.

**** off, what did those moose ever do?

He should go to Africa, do some volunteer work in South Sudan and he'll never touch a gun again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2977858/Former-Royal-Marine-UK-national-killed-fighting-Isis-Syria.html

I was based with this guy's regiment when he tried absconding to go fight ISIS. He tried again made it over but he was killed eventually. If an experienced royal marine commando can't make it, your bro hardly will.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,790 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

discus wrote: »
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2977858/Former-Royal-Marine-UK-national-killed-fighting-Isis-Syria.html

I was based with this guy's regiment when he tried absconding to go fight ISIS. He tried again made it over but he was killed eventually. If an experienced royal marine commando can't make it, your bro hardly will.

FCA experience is on a par with experience at playing cowboys and indians at school.

Sounds like he's watched too many Expendibles movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If his only experience is the FCA, surely he'll fail any basic requirements that they may have, or he himself will bail early. Would have thought most mercenary types would be ex army, where they'd have some experience and like that lifestyle and danger.
    Nah, they'll take anyone. Though those with more experience will get more demanding jobs to do.

The linked article actually paints a really good picture. Everyone goes out there with visions of being on the side of good battling evil and making a difference. Then you get out there and realise that you're just another meatbag fighting a battle between evil and slightly less evil and you can't really make a real difference.

Half of the ****ers end up stuck there for months simply because they have no route home after they realise their mistake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

IWould have thought most mercenary types would be ex army, where they'd have some experience and like that lifestyle and danger. the financial rewards.
    FYP ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭davmol

discus wrote: »

So,youre a Royal marine?,Impressive.

What is the punishment for a marine trying to abscond?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Get him psychiatric help.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Is he rich and childless? Encourage him then. Just make sure he leaves a will in your favour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭waraf

Next time, instead of buying him a sniper rifle, get him a weekend in Amsterdam. F**ker needs to chill out...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Personally I think 48 is too old to be on the ground as a frontline soldier.

It's probably a regret he has that he didn't join the army at a younger age, like you mentioned OP if it is indeed a mid life crisis this might be an attempt to reclaim his youth and become something he always wanted to be.

Advertisement