Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corbyn leadership in serious trouble as general warns of mutiny

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Gringo180 wrote: »
    With all due respect your first 2 points are absolute nonsense! He appointed Maria Eagle as his shadow defence secretary knowing full well that her views were the exact opposite to his own with regards Trident. Hardly the move of a man who isn't up for dialogue on the issue.

Eagle was the third & last to be asked.... there was no one else left...
    The first two choices said no way, because Jezz is so anti-defense forces.

He only had a pool of 20-30 MPs to chose his shadow cabinet from, the rest don't want to know him.

I agree with you... 'dialogue' is all Jezz is up for.
    Certainly not leading... just debating.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,030 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Lemming wrote: »
    [*] He has also signalled to the British tax payer that he is perfectly willing to lie and waste their money by undermining the very thing that his party may yet agree on extending.

It is actually the weapons of mass destruction supporters who are perfectly willing to waste the taxpayers money

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

It is actually the weapons of mass destruction supporters who are perfectly willing to waste the taxpayers money

100 billion sterling for something that will never be used :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

With all due respect your first 2 points are absolute nonsense! He appointed Maria Eagle as his shadow defence secretary knowing full well that her views were the exact opposite to his own with regards Trident. Hardly the move of a man who isn't up for dialogue on the issue.

I think you'll find that there's been quite a bit of anger inside his own shadow cabinet over what he said because he has effectively said that even if Labour agree to vote for Trident- and he's said he will abide by the wishes of the majority - he will render the existence of Trident irrelevant by refusing to use it. That is how he has said he will ignore what the party wants and do things his way anyway if he doesn't get the answer he wants from them regards the deterrence.

That is not nonsense, it's exactly what has transpired over the last couple of days.

To that effect, he has also said he'll be perfectly happy to talk the good talk about "honest politics" whilst undermining both the tax payer and his party by allowing for such an expensive item of national defense whilst knowing he was planning to undermine its existence anyway.

I'd rather it wasn't necessary, but that's not the world we live in. Reality has to kick in at some point, and the only thing that has kept the world alive and kicking throughout the worst excesses of the cold war was nuclear deterrence between the big boys.

Eagle was the third & last to be asked.... there was no one else left...
    The first two choices said no way, because Jezz is so anti-defense forces.

He only had a pool of 20-30 MPs to chose his shadow cabinet from, the rest don't want to know him.

Its hardly his fault that the rest didn't want to know him because of his policies, policies that gave him an overwhelming win in the labour leadership elections.

He has being in the job a few weeks now, hardly enough time to judge his leadership qualities don't you think?

• Advertisement

I think you'll find that there's been quite a bit of anger inside his own shadow cabinet over what he said because he has effectively said that even if Labour agree to vote for Trident- and he's said he will abide by the wishes of the majority

So his statements of "lets have a debate" and "I'm for more honest, open democracy" isn't a charade. Thanks for clearing that up.

So his statements of "lets have a debate" and "I'm for more honest, open democracy" isn't a charade. Thanks for clearing that up.

How about you quote the full sentence instead of playing dishonest "cut and paste".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

Isis, Al Qaeda and Al Nusra has made nuclear war mute. Conventional weapons are as vicious as nuclear weapons. Should a terrorist be able to manufacture chemical agents real dangers will exist. That is why treating all such high profile weapons as nuclear, chemical and bio weapons as extremely hazardous excluded from militaries needs to be adopted by all nations.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

KingBrian2 wrote: »
    Isis, Al Qaeda and Al Nusra has made nuclear war mute. Conventional weapons are as vicious as nuclear weapons. Should a terrorist be able to manufacture chemical agents real dangers will exist. That is why treating all such high profile weapons as nuclear, chemical and bio weapons as extremely hazardous excluded from militaries needs to be adopted by all nations.

Your just simply underestimating how quickly geopolitics can change, it's only 100billion over 50 years for a insurance policy that will also create high quality jobs.

gallag wrote: »
    Your just simply underestimating how quickly geopolitics can change, it's only 100billion over 50 years for a insurance policy that will also create high quality jobs.

Where do you get 50 years from? About 500 jobs are directly linked to the weapons of mass destruction

• Advertisement

Where do you get 50 years from? About 500 jobs are directly linked to the weapons of mass destruction

As with any large scale industry, a rough rule of thumb is for every direct job at the proverbial coal-face, times four behind it either in direct support, ancilliary support, or the regional community.

So - for example - the closure of the Clyde shipyards would not just equate to several thousand jobs lost at the yards, but all the suppliers, any contractors, and then all of the businesses that those workers use, be it the local newsagent & chippie right down to things like the viability of bus travel routes. The exact same rule of thumb applies regards Faslane and the Coulport penninnsula.

So how many jobs do you think will be lost at Redcar?

So how many jobs do you think will be lost at Redcar?

And the point of your question is?

My point is that the price per job created / retained by spending money on weapons of mass destruction is far too high to justify spending that cash to create jobs therefore the jobs argument for trident is very weak at best. You are also assuming that the facility at Faslane would close trident to canned

My point is that the price per job created / retained by spending money on weapons of mass destruction is far too high to justify spending that cash to create jobs therefore the jobs argument for trident is very weak at best. You are also assuming that the facility at Faslane would close trident to canned

I'm not trying to justify the price of Trident; I'm pointing out the fallacy in thinking that it'll "just be 500 jobs". In any case, the cost of scrapping Trident would - at best - make any savings neglible if not exceed maintaining it, but that's a rather important little nugget that the left are quite keen to conveniently gloss over.

It's not a case of canning Trident tomorrow and suddenly having £n billion to play with elsewhere the following day, never mind anytime after that that isn't far, far, far into the future (and by that I mean measured in decades, not years)

I'm not trying to justify the price of Trident; I'm pointing out the fallacy in thinking that it'll "just be 500 jobs".

Meanwhile the NE of England loses about 6,800 jobs with the closure of a steel plant and the Government do nothing to help and then shells out £500m on prep work for the new generation of weapons of mass destruction - go figure

Meanwhile the NE of England loses about 6,800 jobs with the closure of a steel plant
    As you know the gov can't just give Tata cash to keep a plant open....
    They could however come to a deal to buy a sh*t load of steel!
    But that's not the fault of the MOD.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,685 ✭✭✭walshyn93

100 billion sterling for something that will never be used :pac:

More like 100 billion to prevent a nuclear war.

walshyn93 wrote: »
    More like 100 billion to prevent a nuclear war.

Yes sure look at all those nuclear wars raging in the 184 countries on the planet that don't have nuclear warheads.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,685 ✭✭✭walshyn93

Yes sure look at all those nuclear wars raging in the 184 countries on the planet that don't have nuclear warheads.

Look at the 70 years of peace between the worlds superpowers who, for thousands of years beforehand couldn't stop tearing each other to pieces.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭lochderg

This is adding nothing to the discussion. Please read out charter before posting again.
    ...and describing a mature,intelligent man who wants a 'real' change as a blithering idiot is constructive?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

lochderg wrote: »
    ...and describing a mature,intelligent man who wants a 'real' change as a blithering idiot is constructive?
    Report any posts you find objectionable and we'll take a look or pm the mod. Do not take it up on thread. Thanks.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

What is it that you think democracy is?

I understand that you are ideologically opposed to Corbyn but is this kind of criticism seriously the best you can offer? It's spin and doublespeak simply masquerading as an argument. I'd love to have it explained to me just what is so awful about a leader who is eager to talk and be conciliatory? Would you rather he be more dictatorial?

karma_ wrote: »
    I'd love to have it explained to me
    No, I doubt you really would

Mine is just an opinion & I assume you differ.

I posted that he isn't a leader, I still don't think he is

From conference.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/Jeremy_Corbyn/11904045/If-Jeremy-Corbyn-cant-change-Labours-mind-on-Trident-he-must-stand-down.html
    the voice-over explained to the viewers how Jeremy Corbyn’s own conference had just voted to support the retention of the independent deterrent.
    There was then a clip of Andy Burnham, who is Jeremy Corbyn’s shadow home secretary. His leader had been wrong to rule out the use of the deterrent, he said.
    Next was a clip of Maria Eagle. She is Jeremy Corbyn’s shadow defence secretary. Her leader had been wrong to rule out the use of the deterrent, she said.
    Next was a clip of Hilary Benn. He is Jeremy Corbyn’s shadow foreign secretary. His leader had been wrong to rule out the use of the deterrent, he said.
    Next was a clip of Angela Eagle. She is Jeremy Corbyn’s shadow first secretary of state. Her leader had been wrong to rule out the use of the deterrent, she said.
    Next was a clip of Lord Falconer. He is Jeremy Corbyn’s shadow Lord Chancellor. His leader had been wrong to rule out the use of the deterrent, he said.
    Next was a clip of Heidi Alexander. She is Jeremy Corbyn’s shadow health secretary. Her leader had been wrong to rule out the use of the deterrent, she said

At some point,a party will tire of 'debate' & need to put a policy platform before the British people.

One of Jezza's cornerstones was no-nukes.
    The Labour parties policy was for the retention of these.... Last weeks conference reaffirmed this policy position.

He's failed to lead on the EU
    He's failed to lead on leaving NATO.
    He failed to change policy on nukes.... And his colleagues don't hide from undermining him for it.

Politics is a blood sport.
    It can't always be about dialogue & backrubs.
    At some point he'll have to bring his party to him, otherwise he serves zero purpose.

I actually thought Jezz would be stronger.... But 2 weeks in & he's got Lame Duck written all over him.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

Its clear that Corbyn is a " rebound " date, and once the emotions in the Labour party die down , he will be dumped for a proper leader that has some chance of gaining the popular vote

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

A point of clarification. 196 countries in the world recognised by the UN

The following countries have nuclear weapons.
    1. USA
    2. Britain
    3. France
    4. Russia
    5. China
    6. North Korea
    7. Israel
    8. Pakistan
    9. India
    So 187 countries do not have nuclear weapons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Unilaterally disarm Britain's nuclear deterrent while a nuclear armed Russia runs rampant in Ukraine and Syria? While nuclear armed China flexes its military muscles in the South China Sea? While Iran seeks nuclear arms? While North Korea threatens the world? Corbyn is off his head.

Conciliate with Russia led by Putin who says one thing and does another and then laughs in your face. The f*cker armed the rebels in Ukraine with ground to air rockets and killed hundreds of people when they shot down an international airliner full of innocent passengers and denied he had anything to do with it.

Conciliate with a Russian tyrant who is league with Assad who is barrel bombing and using chemical weapons against his own people?

Coybyn and his supporters openly praised the IRA - a movement which bombed, shot and kneecapped innocents?

Corbyn is so naive it is dangerous.

If Corbyn tried to do what he says he would be endangering millions of his people and no soldier in good conscience could allow that and would have to mutiny.

So as opposed to making peace with Russia we should exacerbate strained tensions between east and west ?.So Putin is arming east Ukrainian rebels ? well David Cameron is arming Terrorists in Syria along with the US.And you're calling Putin a tyrant ? he is supported by at least 80% of Russian people, where Cameron wouldn't have a chance if Britain didn't have a first past the post electoral system.

Corbyn isn't dangerous, its the the echos of the establishments fear and hyberbole infused rhetoric promulgated by the daily mail and the telegraph.

"If Corbyn tried to do what he says he would be endangering millions of his people and no soldier in good conscience could allow that and would have to mutiny.[/QUOTE]"
    ^ And Britain arming itself to the teeth with trident missiles and increased military spending isn't endangering millions ?.In reality Russia has no interest in what a secondary world power does,

So as opposed to making peace with Russia we should exacerbate strained tensions between east and west ?

Unilateral disarmament means that Russia (for example) doesn't need to "make peace"; they can just do as they like when they like because the other guy's all talk and no substance to back it up.

THAT is why - in part - Corbyn is dangerous.
    ^ And Britain arming itself to the teeth with trident missiles and increased military spending isn't endangering millions ?.In reality Russia has no interest in what a secondary world power does,

"Arming itself to the teeth" eh? Cut the hysteric theatricals. You're trying to imply that the UK is trying to expand its stockpile of nuclear weapons and/or delivery systems. They're not. Replacement does not equate to expansion. Hardly a case of "arming itself to the teeth"; unlike Russia who have announced that they are building fifty new TU-160 nuclear bombers. Not heard a peep out of any of the "usual suspects" about that one oddly enough .....

Ironically, it is unilateral disarmament which would be more dangerous. The situation that Corbyn would place the UK in, and the wider world, is dangerous and makes nuclear escalation more likely, with the only nuclear power left in Europe playing counterbalance against Russia would be France. Bearing in mind that historically, the Soviet Union's playbook was (in a sentence) to intimidate Europe into believing the US would be neither able or willing to defend them, and most of their posturing was aimed at western Europe, not the US. The same people who were in charge of the Soviet Union are in charge of Russia.

"Arming itself to the teeth" eh? Cut the hysteric theatricals. You're trying to imply that the UK is trying to expand its stockpile of nuclear weapons and/or delivery systems.
    Indeed, the reality is the numbers are reducing.
    (225 -> 180 warheads..... compared to Russia's 8,500)
    unlike Russia who have announced that they are building fifty new TU-160 nuclear bombers. Not heard a peep out of any of the "usual suspects" about that one oddly enough .
    Just google where the CND got their money from & you can see why they not only oppose deterring Russia, but oppose the ability to defend against Russia's missiles as well in the event they are actually fired at Europe.... they'd prefer they found their mark & British people be vapourised.

• Advertisement

Cut the hysteric theatricals..

Works both ways, your postings on Corbyn epitomise 'hysteric theatricals'

Advertisement