Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Martian (Ridley Scott)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Went to see this earlier with the wife and kids, we all loved it - fantastic movie.

I read the book a while back and the movie plot remains true to the spirit of the original. Good performance from Damon, he managed to mix humour with the despair of being abandoned beyond all hope.
    The disco music did tend to grate after a while :P.

I would recommend that this movie should be promoted to the younger generation as it gives a really good impression of what science and engineering is all about, i.e. ingenuity, problem solving and using what you have to improvise sometimes (
    basically lots of duct tape ;)
    ).

Funny how the best two movies I have seen in the last few months have been this one and Mad Max, both set in a barren, red desert environment. Ridley Scott is definitely back on form, loved the cinematography and special effects, better than Gravity and Interstellar if you ask me.

Small enough attendance at this afternoon's matinee (rugby might have something to do with that), hopefully word-of-mouth will mean this one will be a box office success.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Can't understand why this is getting such good reviews.

Maybe because there is such an appetite for anything to do with science these days, that people just get giddy about any film which has it at it's core, regardless of quality. There was even an needless atheistic sneer thrown in. Oh it knows it's audience, I'll give it that.

It also borrows so heavily from recent Sci-fi flicks, that surely it bordered on plagiarism. Lots of cringeworthy dialogue, pompous gags, and many lines you could see coming from a mile off. It just all made for a very annoying, unlikable, irritating watch.

I hated it tbh and I love Sci-Fi films.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Great film.

Not a patch on the book, but that was expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Proper Sci Fi, brilliant film, 9.5 out of 10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Best RS film since Alien imo.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,181 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Which wasn't a Ridley Scott film ;)

Which wasn't a Ridley Scott film ;)

Haha, whoops! Alien. Fixed!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,476 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Good but rushed at every point.

There's just too much in the book to fit into a quality film

• Registered Users Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭lukin

Camila Long gave this a good kicking in her review for the Sunday Times yesterday. You have to be a paid subscriber to read the full review here but suffice to say she didn't like it. She also slagged off MacBeth. I've only ever seen her give good reviews to arty-farty films that were made for two cents. She seems to hate blockbusters (she slagged Mission Impossible 5 also).

lukin wrote: »
    Camila Long gave this a good kicking in her review for the Sunday Times yesterday. You have to be a paid subscriber to read the full review here but suffice to say she didn't like it. She also slagged off MacBeth. I've only ever seen her give good reviews to arty-farty films that were made for two cents. She seems to hate blockbusters (she slagged Mission Impossible 5 also).

Except its not what I'd call a blockbuster, its intelligent sci fi like 2001 and Contact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Decuc500

Camila Long, isn't she a fashion journalist? Her film 'reviews' are awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

It was a good film, I like that it didnt waste time and the pacing was not too slow. The humor helped the story along and the music with the shots of mars space were a fantastic mix.

My 9 year old said he felt they should have shown a lot more despair and worry but I told him its not that kind of film.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,171 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I really enjoyed it. it was very light viewing though, never really felt like there was much threat to anyone, but that was probably part of its charm too. I would also agree with johhny's earlier point that it didn't have much sense of awe to it in the way Interstellar did, but then maybe that's not what it was going for. Scott's best film in years, loved that Starman montage :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,181 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Except its not what I'd call a blockbuster, its intelligent sci fi like 2001 and Contact.

If 2001 was full of endless streams of exposition, cornball humour and a formulaic narrative arc...

I'd say the film overall has more in common with survival and disaster films like Cast Away, All is Lost, 127 Hours etc... than most science-fiction classics, albeit one set in space with plentiful science involved. And given the amount of cutting back and forth between different perspectives I think there's also some similarities with the likes of Taking of Pelham 123 or the types of films Airplane so deftly parodied. Certainly they'd be the cinematic touchstones I'd use over the likes of 2001.

Science was solid in it as far as I could tell and it was hugely entertaining that's all I care about. Interstellar and Gravity were nonsense in comparison. Most so called sci fi is aimed at kids and are really just dumb action films, recent Star Treks , Oblivion etc, so a proper sci fi film is more than welcome by me

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,171 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Science was solid in it as far as I could tell and it was hugely entertaining that's all I care about. Interstellar and Gravity were nonsense in comparison. Most so called sci fi is aimed at kids and are really just dumb action films, recent Star Treks , Oblivion etc, so a proper sci fi film is more than welcome by me

Didn't think it was a patch on Interstellar myself, Intertellar was a lot more ambitious and much more intense and moving imo. This was a light popcorn movie where as Interstellar was a much more intense and thought provoking film and much closer to the likes of 2001 than The Martian. Martian felt more like the dumb action films you seem to be averse to more than anything.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Didn't think it was a patch on Interstellar myself, Intertellar was a lot more ambitious and much more intense and moving imo. This was a light popcorn movie where as Interstellar was a much more intense and thought provoking film and much closer to the likes of 2001 than The Martian. Martian felt more like the dumb action films you seem to be averse to more than anything.

I feel totally the opposite to you, Interstellar was silly hippie fluff nonsense and totally unrealistic, I absolutely hated it. Gravity was lighter than air (no pun intended) and 100% unrealistic. The Martian was mostly very plausible
    apart from end bit rescue with cut suit, would be very difficult to control direction.
    . The solutions were excellent and thought provoking
    digging up pathfinder etc
    . What you call moving I call mawkish, I found The Martian actually moving without the syrup of Interstellar needed.

Yeah, what they've done here is taken theoretically advanced scientific execution and made it as broadly accessible as possible. And that's a valid goal in many respects, but let's be honest here: the film is not a Shane Carruth film. It requires very little thought from the viewer, and pretty much lectures you in no uncertain terms about everything there is to know (the film's central framing device is in essence a lecture). Wrapped around it is a pretty bogstandard crowdpleaser, full of the easy, predictable emotional and dramatic payoffs you'd expect. And the filmmaking lacks formal substance or visual imagination, definitely compared to Interstellar (itself weighed down by its fondness for overexplaining every damn thing and theme). Hell, even compared to something like All Is Lost, which managed to express its protagonists ingenuity and fight for survival without any dialogue whatsoever, I wouldn't necessarily say comparisons are all that favourable.

None of this is to say I didn't enjoy the film, because I did - I had an innate curiosity about the setup and situations. But really I'm not sure the film offered me anything the book wouldn't have managed - ultimately, a few fetching CG-Mars vistas aside, most of The Martian's best parts had almost nothing to do with the 'film' part of this adaptation.

Yeah, what they've done here is taken theoretically advanced scientific execution and made it as broadly accessible as possible. And that's a valid goal in many respects, but let's be honest here: the film is not a Shane Carruth film. It requires very little thought from the viewer, and pretty much lectures you in no uncertain terms about everything there is to know (the film's central framing device is in essence a lecture). Wrapped around it is a pretty bogstandard crowdpleaser, full of the easy, predictable emotional and dramatic payoffs you'd expect. And the filmmaking lacks formal substance or visual imagination, definitely compared to Interstellar (itself weighed down by its fondness for overexplaining every damn thing and theme). Hell, even compared to something like All Is Lost, which managed to express its protagonists ingenuity and fight for survival without any dialogue whatsoever, I wouldn't necessarily say comparisons are all that favourable.

None of this is to say I didn't enjoy the film, because I did - I had an innate curiosity about the setup and situations. But really I'm not sure the film offered me anything the book wouldn't have managed - ultimately, a few fetching CG-Mars vistas aside, most of The Martian's best parts had almost nothing to do with the 'film' part of this adaptation.

An admirable reply, but tell me this, name 5 great recent hard (ish) big budget sci fi movies that you really liked? Impossible eh, because no one makes them anymore, thats why The Martian is to be welcomed by proper Sci Fi Cinema lovers.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Asides from being set in space I don't know why people compare this to interstellar. I enjoyed interstellar for completely differant reasons to why I enjoyed the Martian.

Gravity was not really that good and nothing like this movie, certainly not remotely as entertaining.

The Martian was a very well made, enjoyable sci fi flick minus a lot of the cringey stuff you would normally get with these kind of flicks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭vidor

I thought I was a pwoper sci-fi cinema lover but obviously not :(

Drumpot wrote: »
    Asides from being set in space I don't know why people compare this to interstellar. I enjoyed interstellar for completely differant reasons to why I enjoyed the Martian.

Gravity was not really that good and nothing like this movie, certainly not remotely as entertaining.

The Martian was a very well made, enjoyable sci fi flick minus a lot of the cringey stuff you would normally get with these kind of flicks.

I only compare it to "Interstellar" because it was big budget and people said it was (complete bollocks) the new "2001" (i.e. proper sci fi)

vidor wrote: »
    I thought I was a pwoper sci-fi cinema lover but obviously not :(

Quick, whats the end of "2001" mean?

An admirable reply, but tell me this, name 5 great recent hard (ish) big budget sci fi movies that you really liked? Impossible eh, because no one makes them anymore, thats why The Martian is to be welcomed by proper Sci Fi Cinema lovers.

Even ignoring the 'true fan' fallacy of the argument here, the lack of big budget sci-fi means absolutely nothing when it comes to responding to this film. Sure it's nice to see some 'science' on the big screen, but that doesn't earn it a free pass or immunity from criticism. It's still a piece of cinema to be judged on its own terms.

The likes of Upstream Colour, Under the Skin, Her, Hard to be a God, World of Tomorrow etc.. offer more potently cinematic and intellectually-provocative sci-fi IMO. And Gravity, for all its flaws, is a cinematic tour de force, a quite remarkable feat of pure filmmaking. 'Proper sci-fi cinema' fans would surely appreciate such a thing ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭LFC CONNAUGHTON

I had listened to the audio book the week before the movie, kind of wishing I hadn't as it hurt my enjoyment of the movie. Problems were given, then immediately solved and knowing the ending got rid of the tension I felt from the book, still a very good movie nonetheless. Regarding the comparisons to Interstellar, this is a lot more grounded and that is one of the main appeals of it too me. The changed part at the end with the suit (don't know how to spoiler tag) was fairly annoying because of how much i enjoyed the reality. The ending to Interstellar on the other hand, was pure batsh!t crazy.

All these comparisons are nuts; it's very obviously and openly influenced by Apollo 13, far more than Interstellar, 2001, or any of the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

But really I'm not sure the film offered me anything the book wouldn't have managed

The list of SF movies that offer something that the book doesn't is very short.

2001 is on the list, because Clarke on his own would have written something like The Martian, but Kubrick took it to a different level.

This was a very direct adaptation, with no Kubrickness. The only thing added is seeing the panoramas of Mars instead of imagining them, but that is not a small thing in a movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,369 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Camila Long is an absolute disgrace as a reviewer. I've read quite a few of her pieces over the years and her particular schtick seems to be to pick out one flaw that chimes with her preconceptions about whatever movie she happens to be reviewing, and then stretching out the sneering for the duration of the review. She talks from atop of a very high horse, perhaps that’s down to the publication she’s writing for- the previous critic, Cosmo Landesman, operated in a way not too dissimilar. Populist entertainment is easy to dismiss I guess. Anyway, I think she’s a joke. Worst of all, her hatchet jobs aren’t even consistent- She’ll lambast a film from pillar to post, for some trivial skin-deep aspect, and then you’ll find a three out of five rating at the bottom of the page... What... I thought you hated it Camilla?.... Good luck figuring out what she actually thinks of the film. I’m all for someone swimming against the current or going off on an impassioned rant of a review, but she’s terrible- insincere, uniformed, predictable and childish.

Now after saying all that, you’ll have to forgive me if I don’t praise The Martian to the high heavens, from whence it came. I’ll just outline the criticisms I have quick, because I really did like it quite a lot you know - It’s a wee bit over-stuffed and it huffs and puffs, by the end, to get over the finish line. There are far too many supporting characters, we didn’t need absolutely everyone who was in this - Sean Bean? Kristen Wiig? - they weren’t bad, but I think the film could have lived without them. Why did Jeff Daniels disappear for the final forty minutes? Was Jessica Chastain really the best bit of casting for her role? In terms of plotting it’s pretty conventional - one thing happens...which leads to another thing... which leads to another thing... so on and so on... The End. In that sense it reminded me a little of Red Planet. It’s far better than that, but there was a kind of similarity between the two movies plot wise- of things following things remorselessly, without much time to stop and think, until the close credits roll. I also think as well as lacking a tad in the stoppin’n thinking stakes, the film was also a bit bereft in terms of stoppin’n lookin department. The film was more than adequate visually, but I felt it lacked something to give it a true sense of grandeur or awe- some of the films most evocative imagery was concerned with literally putting crap in the ground, a bit more of some magnificent desolation, here and there, may not have been amiss.

Here’s where I’ll start to give the movie it’s due. And there’s no better place to start than the main sticking point many have with the film: it’s lack of psychological depth. To tell you the truth, I am okay with this. The way I see it is that it makes sense for the character in his situation. Yeah sure, he’s isolated and he’s a million miles from home- but he’s also a hands on, practical minded fellow, who knows ninety percent of the time what his immediate plans are for working towards eventual survival - he’s got goals and the movie foregrounds them constantly. No time for hopelessness for this Martian. So while a touch of The Loneliness of The Long Distance Space Traveller may have done the film no harm, overall, I bought that he would remain positive and focused, - a man in his situation has to really - based on what I know about going to Mars . Also loneliness is relative; he did remain in close to constant communication, of a sort, with Earth, for most of the film. Well at least communication that involved tapping on a keyboard and staring at words on a screen. Close enough for what passes for reality for most of us.... Am I right guys?

Overall I liked The Martian a lot. It’s simplistic, predictable and knowingly crowd-pleasing, but it’s also well made, very entertaining and downright open-hearted, for a Ridley Scott film. I thought the humour was well utilized - you know the jokes are coming, but they’re always underplayed in a nice and wry manner. The science and problem-solving aspects of the film are presented in a very appealing way - just hard enough to feel like you’re not being treated like a dum-dum, but just soft enough to be enjoyable for the majority of people. I started off here talking about Camilla Long - essentially about how I wouldn’t mind her being abandoned in space - and now I’ll come full circle, to finish things up, and talk about another reviewer - Donald Clarke. There’s no comparison between him and Camilla, he’s miles better, despite his faults. But you should check out his video review for The Martian - God Love him, he looks like he hasn’t smiled in at least a decade. It visibly pains him to give the film a “cautious” recommendation - despite him saying that it was engaging, entertaining and fun throughout. Jesus- what does it take sometimes? Yeah I know The Martian doesn’t reinvent the wheel and does pander to you a little of the time, but I also know that everyone I saw it with in that packed cinema screen - was totally with it, enjoying and engrossing, every step of the way. And there’s no shame in that.

• Site Banned Posts: 205 ✭✭Datallus

I thought it was a pretty good twist that
    Sean Bean survived for the whole thing!
    :D

When one thinks of the confirmed classics of the celluloid canon, Under Seige, Red Rock West, The Godfather, Roadtrip, and the rest, one can feel the frisson of poetical recognition which all film-fans can agree silently, without comment: "This is why we love film"

Is "The Martian" up to snuff? One can only decidedly say "Maybe".

Maybe.

And yet, and yet.

7/10.

• Advertisement

When Troy explained his plan and they
    codenamed themselves the council of Elrond I was waiting for Bean to say "One does not simply send a ship back to Mars" or something.
    Missed opportunity.

Advertisement