Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Objections to Apple's data center in Galway

Options
  • 01-10-2015 2:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/construction/apple-plan-for-850m-complex-facing-delay-of-six-months-1.2373374

Amazing people are not punished for wasting time and putting projects at risk. The local wild life? A fcuking data center. Really?

What do you think of serial objectors? The same happened with Intel 10 years a go. They created an additional 2,000 jobs after some local idiot objected to An Bord Pleanala on some spurious local grounds. The whole project was put at risk. Luckily they lost. There was no impact locally except more jobs and investment.

They say one of the complaints is on local wildlife - i.e do nothing, don't build the thing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/construction/apple-plan-for-850m-complex-facing-delay-of-six-months-1.2373374

Amazing people are not punished for wasting time and putting projects at risk. The local wild life? A fcuking data center. Really?

What do you think of serial objectors? The same happened with Intel 10 years a go. They created an additional 2,000 jobs after some local idiot objected to An Bord Pleanala on some spurious local grounds. The whole project was put at risk. Luckily they lost. There was no impact locally except more jobs and investment.

They say one of the complaints is on local wildlife - i.e do nothing, don't build the thing.

If you live in a democracy one of the requirements is that the democratic laws are followed. These people are well within their rights to comment and pay for the right to do so - Ireland is one of the few countries that has a pay to play planning system...ABP fees are hefty.

I'm tired of the same old "but...jaaaabs" silliness from people who don't want or even understand proper planning in Ireland.

http://www.eplanning.ie/GalwayCC/AppFileRefDetails/15488/0

There are over 20 observations to that application in the original file. Hardly the work of "serial objectors", two are by long standing environmental activists, others by "concerned residents".

Not everyone can afford to appeal to ABP.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

MadsL wrote: »
    If you live in a democracy one of the requirements is that the democratic laws are followed. These people are well within their rights to comment and pay for the right to do so - Ireland is one of the few countries that has a pay to play planning system...ABP fees are hefty.

I'm tired of the same old "but...jaaaabs" silliness from people who don't want or even understand proper planning in Ireland.

Yeah - are other countries entertaining such stupid objections to vital projects? I know the Chinese don't. Maybe we need to take a leaf from their book and get stuff built without this nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

I know the Chinese don't.

Believe me, you don't want Ireland to turn into China.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,235 ✭✭✭✭endacl

What do you think of serial objectors?
    Same as I think of serial indignant thread starters.

:D:

• Advertisement

Yeah - are other countries entertaining such stupid objections to vital projects? I know the Chinese don't. Maybe we need to take a leaf from their book and get stuff built without this nonsense.

Have you read them?

Believe me, you don't want Ireland to turn into China.

Believe me I think we need to. Too much clown behaviour allowed without consequence. There should be no appeal in my opinion. Disband the bord pleanala quango and get things built. MINIMUM 4 week yes/no to planning applications. No appeal.

Believe me I think we need to. Too much clown behaviour allowed without consequence. There should be no appeal in my opinion. Disband the bord pleanala quango and get things built. MINIMUM 4 week yes/no to planning applications. No appeal.

Are you old enough to see what happened during the last time build as you like was tried in Ireland?

Have you ever been to China?

I lived there for a year and it's really ugly. A horrible horrible place with ugly building after ugly building.

Seriously, you would not want Ireland to turn into that. Imagine waking up every morning and looking out your window at what appears to be some terrible dystopia but it's the place you have to live forever. Where once there was farmland and even maybe a mountain, there is a big grey building.

Have you ever been to China?

I lived there for a year and it's really ugly. A horrible horrible place with ugly building after ugly building.

Seriously, you would not want Ireland to turn into that. Imagine waking up every morning and looking out your window at what appears to be some terrible dystopia but it's the place you have to live forever. Where once there was farmland and even maybe a mountain, there is a big grey building.

Clearly you don't think the time it takes to get anything big built in Ireland is absurd...

You are probably one of the same people who will complain about bad roads or Dublin's low rise obsession.

• Advertisement

Clearly you don't think the time it takes to get anything big built in Ireland is absurd...

You are probably one of the same people who will complain about bad roads or Dublin's low rise obsession.

I'm not arguing against the point that things take too long to get built. I'm against pointing to China in any positive way especially when it comes to construction.

I actually agree that things should be sped up but from my limited understanding, it seems like it's the people who make the decision who have said it's going to take them until next year to decide.

I'm all for high rise in Dublin. I currently live in Japan and see how it can be done in a way that isn't ugly. Bad roads? Sure, I'd have to be paying road tax to complain about that. :)

Have you read them?

Ahem.

They are "stupid" but you haven't even taken the time to read their comments.

See my point about democracy, you are also able to make comments on any planning application.

With no appeal system, how would you prevent brown envelope planning corruption?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

Hardly the work of "serial objectors", two are by long standing environmental activists

Have these long standing environmental activists a record of objecting to things one after another?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Ahem.

They are "stupid" but you haven't even taken the time to read their comments.

See my point about democracy, you are also able to make comments on any planning application.

Are you talking to yourself? :confused:

psinno wrote: »
    Have these long standing environmental activists a record of objecting to things one after another?

They'd be poor activists if all they did was tut-tut all day. Oddly enough developments with an environmental impact have a habit of taking place "one after another"
    Turtwig wrote: »
    Are you talking to yourself? :confused:

Trying to get Kermit to admit that he hasn't even read the thing he is complaining about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

They'd be poor activists if all they did was tut-tut all day. Oddly enough developments with an environmental impact have a habit of taking place "one after another"

So they are serial objectors then.

psinno wrote: »
    So they are serial objectors then.

Not by the pejorative definition with which you and Kermit mean it.

Activists draw the attention of the planning authority to Irish and EU Environmental law, and act within the planning laws. Do you think the same is true of Councils, developers and multinationals?

I'm baffled as to why people have a problem with those who act within the law of the land to draw attention to those in authority ignoring the very same laws.

Planning permission and building regulations are so bothersome. Sure no building didn't comply with planning until 64, and we wouldn't have issues with Priory Hall or Longboat Quay if it wasn't for regulations.

There's a serious problem with the energy usage of this data centre - it will consume at peak capacity some 8% of Ireland's total energy consumption and provide only some 200 full time jobs.

This has serious implications for Ireland's emissions targets and fines relating to failures to meet those targets.

A very detailed analysis is provided in the planning observation written by David Hughes, architect.
    http://gccapps.galwaycoco.ie/ViewPlanningDocuments/ViewDjVu.aspx?ref=1979455

Sometimes these "serial objectors" do know what they are talking about. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,048 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

.. and you'll be the first one in here starting threads about out alleged "democracy" not listenign to the concerns of the people.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,176 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Planning permission and building regulations are so bothersome. Sure no building didn't comply with planning until 64, and we wouldn't have issues with Priory Hall or Longboat Quay if it wasn't for regulations.

sometimes it can be really hard to tell if somebody is being serious or satirical.

sometimes it can be really hard to tell if somebody is being serious or satirical.

Tongue firmly in cheek.

The planning system in Ireland isn't bad, the only issue being the decades of scandalous development and the backhanders that secured zoning and so on. But applications are well notified, transparent, the objections are also transparent. The issue I would have is that ABP is a bit of a lottery, have seen them make some head scratching decisions. I certainly wouldn't throw everything out because, in a totally transparent manner, as befits any democracy, people have objected. If we seek to curb objections, then it's gonna be back to the crazy days again. It's not like objections should come as the slightest surprise to the applicants, they'll just have to deal with them and let the project stand or fall on its merits and not because we limit the ability to object.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

NIMBY's strike again. Want all the benefits of modern living without living near any of the needed infrastructure. Would be interesting to find out if they are long term residents I.E few generations or City folk that moved. I mean between pylons beaming out death rays, And wind turbines chopping up flocks of birds and stopping people apparently sleeping.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,048 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

NIMBY's strike again. Want all the benefits of modern living without living near any of the needed infrastructure. Would be interesting to find out if they are long term residents I.E few generations or City folk that moved. I mean between pylons beaming out death rays, And wind turbines chopping up flocks of birds and stopping people apparently sleeping.

I'd hardly call a data centre "needed infrastructure". Dunno what the **** you;re talking about in the last sentence.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

I'd hardly call a data centre "needed infrastructure". Dunno what the **** you;re talking about in the last sentence.

I'm guessing one thinks their data is actually stored in the clouds :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

I'm not surprised in the slightest. Apple is just too big of a company/house-hold name for any of this to get through without... expected objections.

But still fair play to the lads using the law of the land and machinery of the state to keep things in check. Just like the guys who lodge objections to referenda results right?

c_man wrote: »
    I'm not surprised in the slightest. Apple is just too big of a company/house-hold name for any of this to get through without... expected objections.

But still fair play to the lads using the law of the land and machinery of the state to keep things in check. Just like the guys who lodge objections to referenda results right?

I sense faces getting red over this one. It's only legitimate if everyone agrees on the hot button topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Paramite Pie

Most clueless and ignorant post I've read in a long time. The Yangtze River dam flooded 13 cities, 140 towns and 1,352 villages -- as well as many ancient temples like Zhang Fei's temple which was 1700 years old. Another 1300 archaeological sites were submerged.

It's gone down in history as one of the most destructive and inefficient constructions in human history. China has a long legacy of dodgy planning and corruption.

Maybe they should've listened to objections?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Better still lets adopt the North Korean approach.
    Ever wonder why so many people died because of that big explosion in China a while back ?
    Maybe it had something to do with how chemicals were stored so close to residential area ?
    Nah lets go the Chinese route and next time we build something lets just evict the natives and take the land off them.
    Better still throw them in jail when they object.

Feckin hell ever think of a career with Shell.
    They might give you a job in Nigeria or even Mayo.

Yeah shure with all our fantastic regulatory bodies there would be no chance of anything being built half ar**ed.

Which bar were you leaning against when you that brainwave. :rolleyes:

Having an Apple data centre so that eejits who pay for their Chinese built over priced items can download apps, sync using icloud or download the latest version of ios would hardly be termed needed infrastructure.

Of course they would like to plant their data centre here, after all we are so generous in helping them avoid tax that other less connected and influential companies actually have to pay.

I wonder where you live ?
    Let me guess it aint anywhere near a massive data centre, massive pylon.

Advertisement