Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Longboat quay- Another priory hall

Options
  • 30-09-2015 5:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,800 ✭✭✭

Another appalling case. This time residents are apparently being asked to shell out 4 million to sort out the fire risk associated with these apartments

Ridiculous.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭StonyIron

This is what you get in a state that doesn't bother to regulate areas of the economy that are close to the government.

Low standards / no standards.

We'd a pathetically under resourced inspection regime.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I feel sorry for them, but why should the government have to foot the bill, surely that's between the owners and the developers or Homebond if it exists for apartments?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

StonyIron wrote: »
    This is what you get in a state that doesn't bother to regulate areas of the economy that are close to the government.

Low standards / no standards.

We'd a pathetically under resourced inspection regime.

They're talking about lowering standards.One off houses don't need any inspection apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Pretty typical of boom time construction. Everyone was reliant on the whole, "Ah sure X has signed off on it, it'll be grand" basis, this included banks and solicitors. There are plenty of people stuck with individual houses with massive issues too, but nobody's campaigning in the Dail on their behalf.

Coupled with the fact that Fianna Fail governments were happy to be lax on regulation provided that construction kept pumping out buildings, it was inevitable this kind of thing would come to pass.

This one will probably have a decent outcome. I reckon DCC or the DDDA will forward a loan to the management company for the cost of the works, with a minimal interest rate and repayable over 40 years or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

This is what happens when a developer employs the architect to certify the building.

"Self certification"....is this not an oxymoron? It beggars belief that this is the system in place for ****ing FIRE SAFETY!

Meanwhile deathtrap developer Bernard McNamara declared bankruptcy, has now started a new business and no longer has any legal obligation to put things right. Immoral and wrong in every sense of the word.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Supercell wrote: »
    I feel sorry for them, but why should the government have to foot the bill, surely that's between the owners and the developers or Homebond if it exists for apartments?

Homebond doesn't seem to cover anything. Even if this was structural. Which I'm unclear as what's required here, that will cost 18k per apartment.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/building-giants-to-fight-liability-as-400-pyrite-claims-filed-29931191.html

Property seems to be bought as sold. Just like a €100 car on a backstreet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

Caveat Emptor.

Buyers should take responsibility for carrying out their own due diligence on such a sizeable purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

• Registered Users Posts: 51,497 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

This is what happens when a developer employs the architect to certify the building.

"Self certification"....is this not an oxymoron? It beggars belief that this is the system in place for ****ing FIRE SAFETY!

Meanwhile deathtrap developer Bernard McNamara declared bankruptcy, has now started a new business and no longer has any legal obligation to put things right. Immoral and wrong in every sense of the word.

Should be locked up but will probably end up getting grants, planning approval and help from old friends and business acquaintances like DOB.

It's mad that Bernard McNamara is now building big developments again but under a (slightly) different company name.

Pre qualification should also include previous and existing business that directors are involved in and should lose large points for receivership/liquidation/bankruptcy.

As it stands, it's the same old names popping up again.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

The scary thing is, fianna fail were handing Bernard Mc namaras construction company contracts hand over fist when they were in power.

I personally know of them building the new library at The I.T. College in Tralee. An Tintean Building at The Mary I teachers college in Limerick. And The Irish World Academy of Music and Dance also in Limerick.

They also built the Parknasilla holiday resort in Kerry. Which Bertie Ahern had two weeks holiday in, before it opened.

Will all these buildings now need urgent inspection?

Don't forget Letterkenny hospital, michael. Flooded A&E anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I know a few fellas that subbed work off him alright, I wouldn't trust an umbrella that they would up.

But for all the buck eejits and cowboys trying to pull a stroke here and there, it's the architects and surveyors I have the most contempt for. Say nothing and take the cheque boys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Valetta wrote: »
    Caveat Emptor.

Buyers should take responsibility for carrying out their own due diligence on such a sizeable purchase.

While that is true to a certain extent, it is not unreasonable to believe that a new build should be free from defects such as these. By way of an example, you wouldn't expect to have to get a mechanic to check a brand new car.

The new building regulations have tightened things up a lot, and individual professionals are now liable to ensure these shortcuts are not taken - though the new system isn't fool proof (e.g. set up shell companies and use overseas professional services and there is little or no comeback for the purchaser). The big and unfortunate problem is that there are a lot of existing developments where standards were not met.

Much like insurance when an uninsured driver causes an accident, I believe the construction industry as a whole should bear the cost of the refit. This should be as a levy on all commercial development.

Is priory hall still out of bounds?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Another appalling case. This time residents are apparently being asked to shell out 4 million to sort out the fire risk associated with these apartments

Ridiculous.

Had the face bitten off me on here a few months ago when I accepted that Longboat Quay was another Priory Hall!! Was searching for that thread last night but could not find it. Heard George Hook give the issue his treatment on Newstalk this evening - consisted mostly of a rant!! Changed over to RTE where, as usual, a lot more research had been done into the subject.
    Mary Wilson had an interview from 2010 with Bernard McNamara in which he declared that all McNamara developments were built to the highest standards!! That was true in his father's time but, unfortunately, does not seem to have been the case during Bernard's tenure. He said he was staying in Ireland to deal with the situation. Mary then stated that he went to England in 2012 where he eventually declared bankruptcy. Now, he is back in business in Ireland, having completed projects for his old friends Michael Smurfitt and Denis O'brien. I am so glad that I don't own an apartment in Longboat Quay - it would be galling to be told that I have to pay thousands of euro to make mine habitable when the culprit has been able to walk free from all responsibility. We hear so much about businessmen who should be able to pick up the pieces after a relatively short time in bankruptcy but, what about the victims of their reckless cost cutting and, dare I say, 'criminal' activities??

Absolutely!! :(

seamus wrote: »
    Pretty typical of boom time construction. Everyone was reliant on the whole, "Ah sure X has signed off on it, it'll be grand" basis, this included banks and solicitors. There are plenty of people stuck with individual houses with massive issues too, but nobody's campaigning in the Dail on their behalf.

Coupled with the fact that Fianna Fail governments were happy to be lax on regulation provided that construction kept pumping out buildings, it was inevitable this kind of thing would come to pass.

This one will probably have a decent outcome. I reckon DCC or the DDDA will forward a loan to the management company for the cost of the works, with a minimal interest rate and repayable over 40 years or so.

'Decent outcome'? You really think so?
    I wonder how many of the Longboat Quay apt owners would agree with you?

The scary thing is, fianna fail were handing Bernard Mc namaras construction company contracts hand over fist when they were in power.

I personally know of them building the new library at The I.T. College in Tralee. An Tintean Building at The Mary I teachers college in Limerick. And The Irish World Academy of Music and Dance also in Limerick.

They also built the Parknasilla holiday resort in Kerry. Which Bertie Ahern had two weeks holiday in, before it opened.

Will all these buildings now need urgent inspection?

And how could you forget Thornton Hall??!!
    What a fiasco that not built project was!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

What a joke, an architect would surely have had to sign this off, how come the professionals here are not being pursued?

I appreciate that DFB are in the life saving business and appreciate their profession, i have to wonder though, when exactly did people start moving into this building?

Secondly is this a new regulation that is now being enforced?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Caveat Emptor.

They can't pull apart walls to check for fire breaks,they're depending on the Architects approval.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Massimo Cassagrande

I'm in construction, and from what I saw of an awful, awful lot of Boom-Time developments, ye aint seen nothing yet.. give it another few years for the chickens to really come home to roost. Thrown-up pretty much covers it.

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

Presumably an Engineer/Architect/Local Authority Inspector/Fire Officer signed off on this - why is their professional indemnity insurance not paying for this incompetence?

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Registered Users Posts: 28,986 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Caveat Emptor.

and builders should be forced to build buildings properly via tough regulations. only so much a buyer can do

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Working on a job yesterday. Popped open a few ceiling tiles (entire grid and tile being changed). Lo and be hold the block work only goes a few runs above the ceiling level. Same this morning in another office. Basically if a fire breaks out it will travel along the corridor taking out every office on the way!! It's been brought to the clients attention by us....They are mad to put it mildly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭StonyIron

and builders should be forced to build buildings properly via tough regulations. only so much a buyer can do

Buyers aren't building inspectors this is why developed countries have regulators.

You can't just throw the general public to the wolves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

StonyIron wrote: »
    Buyers aren't building inspectors this is why developed countries have regulators.

You can't just throw the general public to the wolves.

What do people do if they are buying a 100 year old house?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Bulbous Salutation

Presumably an Engineer/Architect/Local Authority Inspector/Fire Officer signed off on this - why is their professional indemnity insurance not paying for this incompetence?

I'm not one of those 'blame everyone else for everything that goes wrong in my life' crew, but I do agree with this. There should be some sort of accountability for allowing developments like these to be built. Alas, the thinking during the era of Bertie was to just keep building and sort the problems out later.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,497 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

What do people do if they are buying a 100 year old house?

I got a surveyor to examine mine before I bought it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Uncle Ben

mfceiling wrote: »
    Working on a job yesterday. Popped open a few ceiling tiles (entire grid and tile being changed). Lo and be hold the block work only goes a few runs above the ceiling level. Same this morning in another office. Basically if a fire breaks out it will travel along the corridor taking out every office on the way!! It's been brought to the clients attention by us....They are mad to put it mildly.

I mentioned something similar a few years back in a semi d I was in. The blockwork only went up so far into the attic and if you stood on your toes you could see into the next doors attic. When I said it to the householder he said he had been told by the builder that it was to allow the attic to breathe! Furthermore, when the neighbours plugged in or out a plug or switched on the TV you could hear it in the adjoining house. These houses were built in 05 / 06.

Surely the banks checked out the assets they were backing.

Advertisement