Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RWC '15: Pool B General Chat [RSA/SCO/SAM/JAP/USA]

Options
  • 17-09-2015 12:51pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭

CPavfGPUsAATywT.png

This is the thread for discussion of Pool B - buildup to games, squad talk, injuries, etc can go in here but there will be dedicated match threads for the bigger games. If a match thread for a smaller game has not been set up, match talk can go in here too.

POOL B

South Africa||Samoa||Japan||Scotland||USA
    362729.gif||362730.gif||362731.gif||362732.gif||362733.gif|

Fixtures:

Team 1 | |vs || Team 2 || Venue|| Date ||K.O. |

South Africa|| vs || Japan|| Brighton||19.09.15 || 16:45 |

Samoa|| vs || USA| |Brighton||20.09.15 || 12:00 |

Scotland|| vs || Japan|| Gloucester|| 23.09.15|| 14.30 |

South Africa| |vs | |Samoa||Birmingham|| 26.09.15 || 16:45 |

Scotland|| vs || USA||Leeds|| 27.09.15 || 14:30 |

Samoa| |vs || Japan||Stadium MK|| 3.10.15 || 14:30 |

South Africa|| vs || Scotland|| Newcastle|| 3.10.15 || 16:45 |

South Africa|| vs || USA||Olympic Stadium || 7.10.15 || 16:45 |

Samoa|| vs || Scotland|| Newcastle||10.10.15 || 14:30 |

USA|| vs || Japan|| Gloucester|| 11.10.15 || 20:00 |

A handy group for South Africa to ease them into the tournament. Coming off the back of a miserable Rugby Championship, where they lost for the first time - at home too - to Argentina - SA will be keen to make amends here. Plenty of experience although no little mileage too in the legs, they will rotate heavily to ensure key players are fresh going into the knockout stages, and have the luxury of probably the easiest group in which to do so. The bookies rate them at 6/1 to win the WC, which is probably a measure of their ability to peak for the big occasion rather than current form.

Scotland are improving but don't have enough firepower to threaten SA, while Samoa will fancy their chances of an upset, and the meeting of the two teams on October 10 will likely determine who qualifies alongside SA. Japan may fancy their chances of an upset against Scotland or Samoa, while USA are hot favourites to finish bottom, eyeing their match with Japan as their best chance of a win here.

SA and Scotland to progress.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I fancy Scotland to do well here. They won't beat South Africa but I think they'll push them hard and finish comfortably in 2nd. The fact that they play SA in Newcastle should basically give them home ground advantage, which coincidentally is the SA team logo # thing for this WC, but I digress.

Nicest team "suits" award goes to Scotland too, I think.

CPGqZbpWgAAjtg6.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

I fancy Scotland to do well here. They won't beat South Africa but I think they'll push them hard and finish comfortably in 2nd. The fact that they play SA in Newcastle should basically give them home ground advantage, which coincidentally is the SA team logo # thing for this WC, but I digress.

Nicest team "suits" award goes to Scotland too, I think.

CPGqZbpWgAAjtg6.jpg

Nah:

COnLlVcWsAALhD8.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭Ceadog

South Africa already have about half a dozen lads carrying injuries coming into the competition, I bet Meyer will be watching the Samoa game through his fingers.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,950 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

a shock is going to happen in this group. either South Africa will lose to Scotland or Samoa will beat Scotland.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

It's far more likely that Samoa would beat Scotland.

• Advertisement

Japan's line up. Pretty much what we were expecting from them.

CPGgpcnWsAAiInE.png

CPGgpcnWsAAiInE.png

It's all Greek to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,264 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

PTH2009 wrote: »
    a shock is going to happen in this group. either South Africa will lose to Scotland or Samoa will beat Scotland.

South Africa's form this year was pretty poor. They lost all their matches in the rugby championship and were beaten by Argentina twice this year. But then Scotland's form has been woeful too.

I would not be terribly surprised if Japan or even the U.S.A. beat Scotland

Eh, Scotland seem to be slowly improving. Their second string nearly beat us at home in the warm ups, and they really should have beaten France. They should definitely be targeting SA, who are frequently the most complacent of the SH sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

Akrasia wrote: »
    South Africa's form this year was pretty poor. They lost all their matches in the rugby championship and were beaten by Argentina twice this year. But then Scotland's form has been woeful too.

I would not be terribly surprised if Japan or even the U.S.A. beat Scotland

Bok's for has been poor but they only lost once to the Pumas and beat them in the rematch. They also only lost by 4 & 7 points to Oz & the AB's, not exactly hammerings.
    I think their squad isn't as good as it was and I would be surprised if they won it, but they will cruise through the group.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Flipper22

CPGgpcnWsAAiInE.png

I'd have concerns about that back row, looks a bit soft. Their names are all smiley faces.

Edit- And their 12 too. At least that tighthead looks like he could generate a bit of go forward based on his last symbol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

CPGgpcnWsAAiInE.png

Those symbols are very telling.

For example you can see the loose head (first symbol shows his position) has a problem with his set. His arm is bound in alright, but his legs are very badly splayed out. Not sure how he was able to dominate the Canadians with that technique.

The hooker (reading from the right (you can see his position with the ball between his feet) has a tendency to push to the left; possibly to bolster the loose head.

The No.4 clearly does all the line out calls whilst the No.5 is their go to guy in the lineout. The backrows all seem to have good rucking technique and the no.8 is good off the base and does a lot of carrying.

The problems are in the backs though. The right wing clearly has a tendency to drift left in defence and can't seem to attack unless part of a three pronged approach.

Finally the scrum half does a lot of box kicking and doesn't seem to pass the ball at all causing the outhalf to swear a lot.

;)

Pretty sure my friend got their SH tattooed on her back one summer in Majorca.

Just laughing at Meyer's logic for bringing Kirchner in the squad. He's said the two years Zane has spent playing for Leinster means he's used to playing in the rain. :D

Just laughing at Meyer's logic for bringing Kirchner in the squad. He's said the two years Zane has spent playing for Leinster means he's used to playing in the rain. :D

Missed a trick in not calling up Poolman then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

It's far more likely that Samoa would beat Scotland.

why is that ? Scots are hitting form .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,736 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Japan and South Africa on now. Japan's breakdown work is hugely impressive

Japan are really nippy. If they get any space they'll score.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Should have passed it.

Japan 3-0 up :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭token56

Japan doing everything right so far. Outside chance of quarters?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭captbarnacles

Finish them Japan!!!

That ****ing pass from the Japanese hooker

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Japan playing some lovely stuff so far

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭dtpc191991

Really good play by Japan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Japan are really nippy..

That's racist that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Japan are playing ridiculously well so far, good to see a full stadium and such a great atmosphere too

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭whatawaster81

Bad miss, they need these!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Eddie Jones looks kind of Japanese. Is he?

• Advertisement

Eddie Jones looks kind of Japanese. Is he?

His mum is.

Advertisement