Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now Ye're Talking - to a Commercial Diver

Options
  • 18-09-2015 9:42am
    Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Today's AMA is with one of our members who is a Commercial Diver.

He works sub-sea in construction, maintenance, repair, installation and inspection both off-shore and in-shore. It all sounds very dangerous but I'm sure he can give more details about what it all entails. He is also a diving instructor.

Ask away!

Thanks in advance to I'm A Commercial Diver, AMA!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Sounds fascinating.

When you are on holidays do you take part in diving in beautiful places or are you strictly a land lover on hols?

Were you ever taken by surprise by something breath taking while working underwater?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭vandriver

What's the cash like!And can you get life cover.
    How many years would be a divers career.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Ever get the bends?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

How did your career start?
    Did you just love diving and look for employment into it?
    Or was it more engineering, and the work required you more and more to get 'in depth' so to speak :)

Are there days you wish you just had an office job?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Do the underwater police really drive squid cars?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Can you/Do you dive below 40m? What's the deepest you have gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

What is the single weirdest thing you have ever seen underwater?
    What do you love and what do you hate about your job?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,321 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Wow, great job!

Do you have plans for your next career?

Ever get caught short while working? ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

What sort of watch do you have:pac:?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Company Representative Posts: 26 Verified rep I'm A Commercial Diver, AMA

Hi folks,

I will do my best to answer your questions as quickly as possible over the coming days so do keep them coming.

I'll get started with the questions already up.

• Advertisement

Lisha wrote: »
    Sounds fascinating.

When you are on holidays do you take part in diving in beautiful places or are you strictly a land lover on hols?

Were you ever taken by surprise by something breath taking while working underwater?

Good question, people automatically assume I only go on diving holidays but thats not the way it is at all.

Before I became a commercial diver I was a recreational instructor and prior to that a recreational diver. Once I began teaching recreational students, I no longer needed to get my own personal fix of the underwater world as I was diving great sites on a regular basis with enthusiastic dive buddies. I guess once I got into the commercial side of diving it took all the fun from it, the last thing you want to do on your day off is pull a drysuit on and get into the water after spending 5 or more days diving earlier that week. I remember a friend telling me just before I became commercial that the best way to ruin something you love doing is go to work at it, and I guess they couldn't be more right. It is sad and I miss my old view on diving. That said I do force myself to go on maybe 1 or 2 dive weekends in Ireland a year, to remind myself how great it can be, with old dive buddies.

To answer your question, holidays are generally on land, hiking and general outdoors stuff. I try to keep away from the water, the misus doesn't want to hear a word about diving or boats when we are away so holidays are generally on her terms too.

Have I ever been taken by surprise? Yes a few times, once while working off the north of Scotland on a fish farm, I was diving outside the salmon nets (large commercial nets in the sea where salmon is grown for the commercial market, nets can be fairly deep, sometimes 25-35 metres.), I was removing very heavy weights to be sent to the surface when I just felt a presence with me in the gloomy depths, when I turned around I was met by 4 very large (Bigger than me) seals standing upright midwater just watching me, its a little unsettling when its just you and 4 other large mammals at that depth and your in their territory. I've never seen seals this size in Ireland, these were over 6 foot and as fat as they come (All the salmon they probably eat from the fish farm), they generally aren't violent towards divers but you would be weary near them when they have young with them

vandriver wrote: »

The pay inshore is not the best, generally up to €200 a day if your lucky, but divers are generally self employed so have a lot of expenses to cover in that. The big bucks is offshore, i've heard tales off all kinda of money, but generally speaking you live on the ship for 4-6 weeks and can come away with the same amount you would earn in a year inshore. Thats just your divers rates, but theres tonnes more jobs offshore, but they are all gold dust, i know divers who have spent their whole career trying to get offshore and never got the lucky break. A lot of it is got to do with knowing the right people and a bit of luck thrown in too. In an ideal world you would start inshore, rub shoulders with the right people, and get your lucky break into the big bucks, but for the vast majority this never happens. You really got to love your job to make a career diving inshore

vandriver wrote: »

Sorry missed 2 questions in the last post.

Life cover is a nightmare, it can be got, but cost big bucks.

How many years really depends on the individual, the vast majority are self employed so work as subcontractors for diving companies, this raises the issue that if you can't dive you can't work and more often than not you get injured and can't dive. We do a very comprehensive dive medical each year, and the day you don't pass it is the day you give it all up, but most times people see it coming. So health generally stops most, average age to start is late 20's early 30's, not many still diving over 45, but there is exceptions. Most want to get out of it by that age and get into supervising etc.

Ever get the bends?

The bends, also known as decompression sickness / illness is every divers worst nightmare. I have been lucky to not have ever ended up in the pot (hyperbaric chamber), however I have felt some effects of the bends on a few occasion, but thankfully all subsided with some O2 and a chat with the doctor. Whats most worrying for divers about the bends is that there is no way of being 100% careful, people can go by all the rules and still end up bent after a routine dive.

Saying all that the biggest killer for divers is not the bends, its DP (Differential Pressure), Crane Drivers and the drive home from work . . . . . . They might not be official stats, but the 3 things I worry about the most

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mahoganygas

Those poor lads working on the Shannon who drowned. I heard there were divers standing by but couldn't get to them in time. Such an awful tragedy.

Have you ever had any similar scares?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

You mentioned that you have worked on a salmon farm but what other kinds of things do you work on? Are they all short-term contracts?

Do you orhave you ever been involved in any kind of rescue either for people or shipwrecks or anything like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

How has technology changed your profession over the past decade or so?

whiskeyman wrote: »
    How did your career start?
    Did you just love diving and look for employment into it?
    Or was it more engineering, and the work required you more and more to get 'in depth' so to speak :)

Are there days you wish you just had an office job?

I started in recreational diving and had a career change to commercial from working in retail managment, so a big change. This wouldn't be the usual pathway, generally it would be from construction, welding etc. however I had a long background on the water with boats etc. and I just found my feat, made thins more difficult to begin with for sure.

Days I wish I had an office job, big time, but theres also a whole load of days I am thankful I don't have an office job. There's pros and cons to both jobs in fairness. A lot of people say your very lucky to work outdoors, which is true but only some of the time, we end up getting smashed by the weather more times thank you can imagine and those days a dry and warn office can be appealing

Mr.S wrote: »
    What happens if you need to sneeze?

We use full helmets that encapsulates our whole head, there is a rubber piece inside the helmet that surrounds our nose and mouth, so when you sneeze the air is exhaled out into the water but any saliva etc. gets caught and you get to enjoy the rest of your dive breathing through it all, not that pleasant.

An itch now is a whole different problem !!!

endacl wrote: »
    Do the underwater police really drive squid cars?

They most certainly do, the traffic corps are the worst !!!

• Advertisement

Saruman wrote: »
    Can you/Do you dive below 40m? What's the deepest you have gone?

As a commercial air diver I can dive to 50m, saturation divers can go much deeper. We would generally only work at depths of up to 40m due to time restraints. I've been to 50m, its all the same to me once you leave 30m to be honest, just more water !! Its cold, dark and lonely at 50m, not much enjoyment about it.

Star Lord wrote: »
    What is the single weirdest thing you have ever seen underwater?
    What do you love and what do you hate about your job?

I find our canal systems and rivers running through cities to throw up the most interesting finds. Just under the ha'penny bridge is full of millions of keys and broken locks, from all the love birds. I often wonder about the story of how things end up on the bottom of our canals and rivers and how they got there, a lot of things I am sure are in some way related to crime and have just been dumped there. Can't think of anything weird, I'll have a think about that one.

Things i love would be the camaraderie and people I get to meet, the places I get to see and the constant unknown of what will come up next and thinking on your feet to fix the many problems that come up. Thinks i dislike would be the huge amount of travelling, the lack of work and constant uncertainty and lack of job security and the weather

Wow, great job!

Do you have plans for your next career?

Ever get caught short while working? ;)

I would like to get involved with the emergency services, fire or ems hopefully.

Many times and it ain't always an option to just get out and go the toilet. I will admit I've had to disinfect and thoroughly wash the inside of my drysuit on more than one occasion, but it was worth it for the relief (At the time of course). Hazard of the job I guess !!!

blue5000 wrote: »
    What sort of watch do you have:pac:?

I don't waste my money on expensive dive watches, my life support is controlled by my supervisor on the surface so don't need one. I do like knowing the time when I'm down there (Generally just to know when Beer O'Clock is !!), so I use the most cheapest and vintage Casio watch from Argos, I think it costs €12, if I loose or break it I buy a new one (Spilt milk and all that jazz). They say they are water "resistant" but Iv'e had them to 50m, and they proved to be very resistant to that kind of pressure.

Those poor lads working on the Shannon who drowned. I heard there were divers standing by but couldn't get to them in time. Such an awful tragedy.

Have you ever had any similar scares?

I understand Limerick Marine SAR have emergency divers they can deploy on the river there as part of their search and rescue work, such a great resource to the communities on the river, (I am not aware of specific details of that tragedy and who was involved etc, it was a very sad indeed)

I am involved with a search and recovery unit which is all voluntary, just like many other recreational divers across the country. Unfortunately usually when it comes to divers it is a recovery operation as the person is assumed to be deceased.

Rescue dives are common in the commercial world to rescue our diving colleagues, whenever a diver is in the water, a second diver is fully dressed in on the surface ready to respond to an emergency. I have been "jumped" (As we call it, when you enter the water in a rescue attempt) on a few occasions, thankfully all ended well on all occasions, but it most certainly does get the blood pumping that bit quicker. 99% of the time the standby diver has the handiest day out of everyone on site, but i the supervisor tells you to jump, you jump.

miamee wrote: »
    You mentioned that you have worked on a salmon farm but what other kinds of things do you work on? Are they all short-term contracts?

Do you orhave you ever been involved in any kind of rescue either for people or shipwrecks or anything like that?

Yes tonnes of civil engineering projects, i've worked on the weird and the wonderful, transatlantic cable lays, pier construction/repair, shipwreck recovery, search and recovery, wave and tidal energy machine installation and repair, canal gates and dam installation and repair, amongst many others. If it needs to be done underwater, then you need divers, so the next project could be anything.

Generally they are all short projects, from a few days to a couple of weeks at most, with loads of stoppages due to weather and mess ups etc., the long term ones are few and far between inshore.

I think I covered search and rescue / recovery in the last post, definitely the more difficult jobs, but sometimes the most rewarding.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 OiL RiG

Have you ever experienced nitrogen narcosis during a commercial dive, and if so, how did you deal with it?

How has technology changed your profession over the past decade or so?

Good question. Its changed the profession in many ways, some good, some not so good.

Safety has been vastly improved by technology, our communication systems are much better with clear voice to surface comms and live video feeds on most sites, that all said if anything breaks on site its the tech stuff

ROV's (Remotely Operated Vehicles) are now widespread and a lot of divers feel they are taking over our work, I don't really agree somewhat, they don't and probably will not ever have the capabilities a diver does. Interestingly they are being used to rescue divers where they locate a diver and grab them and transport them back to safety

Other than the above technology has still been unable to substitute the hard working diver, if anything it advances and supports our trade. I have found that a lot of my work has come from advancements in technology, mainly in the renewable energies industry which are all very interesting machines to work with.

OiL RiG wrote: »
    Have you ever experienced nitrogen narcosis during a commercial dive, and if so, how did you deal with it?

I don't think I have personally during commercial dives, i have during recreational dives back when I started diving. An interesting feeling of being drunk at depth. I've heard crazy stories of people taking their gear off as a result, but for me it was just an immense feeling of relaxation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-cumbria-20066683H

On the topic of odd things you might have seen, what do you make of things like the Wastwater gnome garden? Bit of fun, or downright silly? Would yoube bothered diving to see deliberately set up 'attractions' yourself? Ever left something funny behind for the next guy to find?

IMG_3278.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement