Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pipo X8 Mini Windows/Android wont power up.

Options
  • 14-09-2015 10:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, hope I'm posting in correct forum.

Anyway, I purchased a Pipo X8 aonly a few short weeks back.

I had to unplug it from the wall socket yesterday, and upon plugging it back in, i noticed one of the trips went in my meter box (fuse box inside the house)

Anyway, flipped the switch on the trip, ehich restored power to the downstairs sockets, and the machine just flat out refused to turnm on.

I have taken the following steps so far in an attempt to get it to power up again:

Bought a new 3pin/asia socket converter
    Bought a new Voltage adaptor with 7 interchangable pins (from Argos) and ensure it was set at 12v, but nothing. Machine refuses to power on.

I should add that the new voltage adaptor has a red LED indicator on its face that mysteriously goes out when I connect it to the machine, and comes straight back on again when I disconnect it from machine again, unsire if this has any significance.

I am just over here wondering if anyone has any ideas, would the machine be fried internally? Does anyone think it would be repairable, either in a PC repair shop or a mobile phone repair shop?

Any help or advice much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Sounds like something fried internally and now it is short circuiting.

Edit: Might be worth posting on the Android Devices forum. I think it might be bad luck though. Also the fact that the power supply that came with it was probably terrible. Contact the seller. Might get a replacement since it is so new.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

All you've posted points to a fried IC on the Pipo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Pardon my ignorance guys, but this sounds serious, right?

I mean, is it feasible for my local chinese electronic shop to repair this?

I bought it off a website I can't discuss here, and am currently awaiting their response to my 'ticket' sent to them last night do discuss warranty/repair.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭mad turnip

Banjo can you post any picture of the technical specifications new 12V adapter you got. From the sounds of things (the light going off upon turning on the box) it is not supplying enough current. Going off the link you provided someone indicates you need 2.4Amps which I would consider quite high for a 12V adapter and those multi adapters very rarely come with such a high ampage. If you have a multi-meter please try measure this DC current value.

If you verify the dc adapter is supplying enough current I would agree the internal board is fried and a replacement is needed. But from prior experience with tv boxes the external power supply can usually just be replaced after events you have described

mad turnip wrote: »
    Banjo can you post any picture of the technical specifications new 12V adapter you got. From the sounds of things (the light going off upon turning on the box) it is not supplying enough current. Going off the link you provided someone indicates you need 2.4Amps which I would consider quite high for a 12V adapter and those multi adapters very rarely come with such a high ampage. If you have a multi-meter please try measure this DC current value.

If you verify the dc adapter is supplying enough current I would agree the internal board is fried and a replacement is needed. But from prior experience with tv boxes the external power supply can usually just be replaced after events you have described

Hi madturnip.

The following is the exact same adapter as the one I picked up.

119-9829701SPA73UC615362M.jpg

• Advertisement

This thing wouldn't power a light bulb let alone that pc thing. Your defiantly going to have to get a far more powerful adapter than that. I would recommend a 3 Amp 12 Volt which should be in plenty supply on Ebay. Your local chinese guy might have these, it could be worth asking in the satellites/set top boxes forum where you could get such a thing in your area.

This thing wouldn't power a light bulb let alone that pc thing. Your defiantly going to have to get a far more powerful adapter than that. I would recommend a 3 Amp 12 Volt which should be in plenty supply on Ebay. Your local chinese guy might have these, it could be worth asking in the satellites/set top boxes forum where you could get such a thing in your area.

Hmmmm.

I seen 12v written on the other (original) adapter, and assumed this would do the job.

Actually, I'm.wondering if my laptop charger would suffice.....

****be right back*****

Mad turnip......

31YgXJ.jpg

You sir are a fcukin legend!

Plugged the Asus laptop charger in, and up she lit!

If thank your post ten times if I could.

I owe you a beer man. Pm me your details. It would be my pleasure.

Glad to see you got it working! Didn't think to check the amperage. Looked up possible reasons why the light would go off and the common theme was charger was gone or short circuit. Check the back of the pipo for the amp and voltage details it expects. There is a chance the laptop charger may be too high for long term usage. If it matches between the charger and the pipo then you have a cheap solution :D

Banjo, just to reiterate what xenoronin said, its pretty important your laptop adapter has the same voltage and a very close amperage as otherwise it could cause damage in the long term. Laptop charagers usually supply quite alot of power, the amperage is usually written beside the voltage on the chargers sticker (make sure its the output xD)

Glad to see it working for you. I'm happy myself xD

• Advertisement

Xenoronin wrote: »
    Glad to see you got it working! Didn't think to check the amperage. Looked up possible reasons why the light would go off and the common theme was charger was gone or short circuit. Check the back of the pipo for the amp and voltage details it expects. There is a chance the laptop charger may be too high for long term usage. If it matches between the charger and the pipo then you have a cheap solution :D
    Banjo, just to reiterate what xenoronin said, its pretty important your laptop adapter has the same voltage and a very close amperage as otherwise it could cause damage in the long term. Laptop charagers usually supply quite alot of power, the amperage is usually written beside the voltage on the chargers sticker (make sure its the output xD)

Glad to see it working for you. I'm happy myself xD

Ok lads here goes, I'm by no means an expert on these things, but I think I'm good, according to the two adapters, they have the same

Asus
    8wH7AH.jpg

Chinese one.

H2BVVZ.jpg

Asus charger: 19V - 3.42A
    China charger: 12V - 2.4A

The new charger is supplying quite a bit more voltage and current. I wouldn't use it for a while with the Pipo as it may overload the components.

Is there anything listed on the back of the Pipo itself?

Asus charger: 19V - 3.42A
    China charger: 12V - 2.4A

The new charger is supplying quite a bit more voltage and current. I wouldn't use it for a while with the Pipo as it may overload the components.

Is there anything listed on the back of the Pipo itself?

Nothing on the back of the pipo at all. :mad:

Right amazon have this
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/DA-30I12-ADAPTER-2-5A-Power-Supply/dp/B0051QTTMI/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1442505125&sr=1-1&keywords=12v+2.5a+power+supply

Not sure what the pin looks like on the Pipo. This has a 5.5mm standard pin apparently.

There are probably better sources for this type of equipment but it's an option :)

Right amazon have this
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/DA-30I12-ADAPTER-2-5A-Power-Supply/dp/B0051QTTMI/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1442505125&sr=1-1&keywords=12v+2.5a+power+supply

Not sure what the pin looks like on the Pipo. This has a 5.5mm standard pin apparently.

There are probably better sources for this type of equipment but it's an option :)

Bought. Cheers.

Advertisement