Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie drive for the current refugee crisis?

Options
  • 08-09-2015 6:42pm

Should boards.ie start a drive for the current refugee crisis, collecting things like clothes, food, and anything else, for people very much in need over there?

Admittedly this might be better suited to Feedback, I'm not sure which would be best?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

No.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

Great idea. Different forum though, let the mods suggest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

No. There are loads of groups in every location doing it. Nice idea but not needed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 436 ✭✭Old Jakey

I'm broke, can you lot send me some money? (I'm Syrian btw).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭hairyslug

Old Jakey wrote: »

No I'm Syrian and no is my wife.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Brian from Bray

Yeah rioght.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,284 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I think there are many organisations out there better equipped to do something like this than Boards is. While I appreciate that there's nothing but good intentions meant, the logistics would make it pretty much impractical imo. The SSF at Christmas takes a lot of time and effort and that's something on a more local, manageable scale. I think if people want to get involved, there are far worse things you could do than volunteer your time, money or resources to one of the existing agencies.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 436 ✭✭Old Jakey

Yeah rioght.

Please, need new teeth...send money now. Thanks.

Abdul.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Brian from Bray

Please, need new teeth...send money now. Thanks.

Abdul.

Me have no money. You go to Enda Kenny he give you big house and new tooth for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,855 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Ive got some copies of Richard Dawkins The God Delusion , hook me up?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭joe swanson

Nope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

I could do up a flask of hot water and a few kitkats as a care package?

Should boards.ie start a drive for the current refugee crisis, collecting things like clothes, food, and anything else, for people very much in need over there?

Admittedly this might be better suited to Feedback, I'm not sure which would be best?

How about you start something yourself for people living on the streets?

You could go out and offer a free hot drink, a blanket, soup, even offer a room in your house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

Sure what's the point, won't most of this food and clothes be just dumped onto the dart tracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Drive them back home?? I'm In

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

You could go out and offer a free hot drink, a blanket, soup, even offer a room in your house.

We'll have homelessness eradicated from Ireland within a few months with the surge of people caring about them.

Thats assuming they actually care and arent having a dig at people who are trying to help others.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,107 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

You don't get the same warm fuzzy feeling when it's something less popular like that.

There's only one main thing they want, so unless you have a free house to give them they won't be interested.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Great idea OP, it might be too much to organise though, but maybe something could be done cooperatively with a group that's already set up? I know of a group organised by some Irish people out here in Vienna, that might be trying to organise a few runs from Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 9,732 ✭✭✭lertsnim

How many homeless people stay with you? None you say? Thought as much.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

Can I just say, I'm out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

lertsnim wrote: »

So you asked him a question and then answered it yourself. Patient sort aren't ya :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

lertsnim wrote: »

Technically no one can have a homeless person living with them. If you give them a home they're no longer homeless. ipso facto

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

How many Irish people helped the 'refugees'/migrants camped out on a Ballymun roundabout eight years ago? http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/last-of-roma-abandon-m50-camp-38218.html

They had to leave the country because no one would give them accommodation. Tut tut.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,828 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Angela Merkiel robbed all my money.
    And anyway this guy is going to chop my head off if we feed him, so I am out.

Angela Merkiel robbed all my money.
    And anyway this guy is going to chop my head off if we feed him, so I am out.

This guy didn't seem bothered last year :D

https://scontent-ams2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpt1/v/t1.0-9/11224569_903974246344086_2089142390192741514_n.jpg?oh=1d3ebb1016c2d6b25712576e2bbe808e&oe=56698F58

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

Not a bit of discussion, only swipes - but it's "censorship" if it gets closed.

The fact there are scammers doesn't change that there are genuine people needing help:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=96930796&postcount=91

Weird the way the same people condemn ISIS (rightly so) yet sneer at people trying to escape them. Strange logic that.

There'll be a lot of heads rolling in this country soon.

Not a bit of discussion, only swipes - but it's "censorship" if it gets closed.

The fact there are scammers doesn't change that there are genuine people needing help:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=96930796&postcount=91

Weird the way the same people condemn ISIS (rightly so) yet sneer at people trying to escape them. Strange logic that.

Well they should stay where they are then when they become safe.

• Advertisement

We will be singing about having no heads soon :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement