Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Current Republican front runner doesn't look to hot on Mars Travel

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Trump is the Democrats best hope.

Besides the budget is about buying votes, pork barrelling, PR and flying the flag, actual space exploration is useful side effect.

I can't remember where I heard it , might have been Doonsbury or some such but "If it wasn't for Vietnam we'd have condo's on Venus by now"

It might be interesting to see how much of the NASA budget is Discretionary
    ISS/SLS/Orion together take almost half the budget , remembering that the cross agency support is dipped into when there are cost overruns

DQV8gdM.png
    larger version https://i2.wp.com/www.universetoday.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/NASA-2015_Budget21.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 15,730 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Really Hope Donald Thump does not get to be President of America. Think Hillary Clinton would do a far better job myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,259 ✭✭✭✭endacl

AMKC wrote: »
    Really Hope Donald Thump does not get to be President of America. Think Hillary Clinton would do a far better job myself.

George Clinton would do a better job. Also, he'd take us all into space on the Mothership.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭ankaragucu

AMKC wrote: »

They're all the same, when are people gonna realise this?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,316 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

ankaragucu wrote: »
    They're all the same, when are people gonna realise this?

not really. If Al Gore had beaten Bush We wouldn't have ISIS and wouldn't have wasted 8 years ignoring climate change

• Advertisement

Akrasia wrote: »
    not really. If Al Gore had beaten Bush We wouldn't have ISIS and wouldn't have wasted 8 years ignoring climate change

Ifs and buts Akrasia, though I take your point.But my point is that the USA/The World isnt run by governments, its run by big business.If a President got elected and really wanted to change things he wouldnt stand a chance.Thats the sad reality.

Ifs and buts Akrasia, though I take your point.But my point is that the USA/The World isnt run by governments, its run by big business.If a President got elected and really wanted to change things he wouldnt stand a chance.Thats the sad reality.

Perhaps that is the reality for rapid reform, but the president does set the tone of the administration and even if a good president can't accomplish all their goals, a particularly bad president can do an awful lot of damage.

The U.S. democratic system is in a total shambles at the moment

If Trump was to become the president of the U.S.A. we can say goodbye to any hope of a meaningful global agreement on tackling climate change and when you look at the long term consequences of that, this could be one of the most important elections in human civilisation.

(not to be alarmist or anything)

Akrasia wrote: »
    Perhaps that is the reality for rapid reform, but the president does set the tone of the administration and even if a good president can't accomplish all their goals, a particularly bad president can do an awful lot of damage.

The U.S. democratic system is in a total shambles at the moment

If Trump was to become the president of the U.S.A. we can say goodbye to any hope of a meaningful global agreement on tackling climate change and when you look at the long term consequences of that, this could be one of the most important elections in human civilisation.

(not to be alarmist or anything)

Oh I agree with you re Trump but Hilary doesnt inspire confidence either.This is the woman who played a huge part in the destruction of Egypt/Libya and who has turned them into virtual failed states.And why?The US oil companies didnt like the fact that they had their own oil supply and sales of same or that Gadaffi was planning a new currency for oil trade other than the dollar.So big business told Hilary to jump and she said "How high?"
    How ANYBODY supports any political party these days is beyond me.
    But hey, enough, we're in the wrong thread here....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Well the presumably the Democratic candidates will show their scientific credentials by announcing a future panel to ensure that scientist's shirts are vetted to avoid offence before being worn in public :rolleyes:

Oh I agree with you re Trump but Hilary doesnt inspire confidence either.This is the woman who played a huge part in the destruction of Egypt/Libya and who has turned them into virtual failed states.And why?The US oil companies didnt like the fact that they had their own oil supply and sales of same or that Gadaffi was planning a new currency for oil trade other than the dollar.So big business told Hilary to jump and she said "How high?"
    How ANYBODY supports any political party these days is beyond me.
    But hey, enough, we're in the wrong thread here....

Yeah.
    A lot of people vote through gritted teeth for the least worst option

It's a broken system and there's no obvious way it can be reformed without the turkeys voting for christmas.

But C'est la vie

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,190 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Sanders looks like the best of the bunch to me, not sure what his stance on space exploration would be though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭nokia69

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Sanders looks like the best of the bunch to me, not sure what his stance on space exploration would be though.

will be much the same as Trump and the rest, he might want to do something like go to the Moon or Mars, but once he asks NASA what will it cost the idea will die, H.W Bush wanted a Mars mission but when NASA told him it would cost 450+ billion he dropped the idea

but not to worry by 2020 things will be very different

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Yep, they say the last true American president with REAL power was JFK ... and looked what they did to him..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Obama Administration Green Lights Shell to Drill in Arctic

Doesn't come much bigger than Shell, if ya want to get elected I'd imagine you'd have to bend over for them first and let them carry on drilling in Alaska.

TPP would be another, get that signed in - This really does look awful.

Advertisement