Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shane Lowry - 2019 Champion Golfer of The Year (note first post please for posting guidance)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,348 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

newport2 wrote: »
    Ye, 2005. He won Honda Classic and Barclays (haven't read whole thread, so someone probably beat me to it)

Lowry and Harrington could make it 3 this year yet, that would be a record I'm sure!

Harro in 2008 as well. The Open Championship and the PGA Championship :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Steven81

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Golfgorfield

First Up wrote: »
    It is the changes to his lifestyle and focus on strength and conditioning that have helped him fully exploit his talent.

It certainly has helped, hes added a lot of yardage since working with Robbie Cannon so must be doing the right things.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Tugboats

"A bit of a McIlroy" in what way?

Majors and multi-million pound sponsorship deals. Nobody wants that...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭abff

I know this win clinches his card for next year, but does it get him into this year's play-offs? He's still showing as zero points on the FedEx Cup listing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭Panrich

abff wrote: »
    I know this win clinches his card for next year, but does it get him into this year's play-offs? He's still showing as zero points on the FedEx Cup listing.

Rich Beem was saying that he would get a three year exemption on the tour, his fed ex cup points for yesterday (550?) AND all the points that he would have collected so far this season also. Not sure how good his information is though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 coxeyboy92

come on offaly

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭BOB81

abff wrote: »

I think it does - the commentators on sky yesterday said that after the win he'll now be a full PGA tour member and get the 550 pts due to him for yesterday's win, as well as the points he accrued from his pga tour appearances from earlier in the season. Hope they were right!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭Panrich

Panrich wrote: »
    Rich Beem was saying that he would get a three year exemption on the tour, his fed ex cup points for yesterday (550?) AND all the points that he would have collected so far this season also. Not sure how good his information is though.

Or not...

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golf-central-blog/despite-wgc-win-lowry-not-fedex-cup-playoffs/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

19th in the world, great victory for him.

Anyone know what price he was before it ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,305 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Panrich wrote: »

gotta love rulings like that

keep the insiders on the insider

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Pal of mine had €50 each way on him at 100/1. We from Clara :)

Not sure if that was his starting price.

Well know I'm sickened! I've had a little bit of money on him for his last 5/6 competitions and regularly put money on, decided I wouldn't go near the betting last week and thought he have been around 30/1 to start! :eek:

Still the happiness of him winning will take over from what I could have :P maybe I should stop betting on him completely and he'll go on a winning streak

• Registered Users Posts: 20,823 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Class night.

Great thing for me - was, it was a bit of a surprise.

He is making progress all the time, but he hadn't shown his best form this summer.

Class stuff.

Looks like it will be Shane and Rory on Olympic team - some team.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,731 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Shane ya' bleedin legend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

https://twitter.com/IanJamesPoulter/status/630517394759417856

Flew out to Whistling Straits with Ian Poulter straight after...
    11820560_696503000479826_2099780414_n.jpg
    There he is the champion.... Well played big man. Let's get #netjets up and the cold one's flowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,580 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

The love for Shane from fellow pros on Twitter has been strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

rrpc wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/IanJamesPoulter/status/630517394759417856

Flew out to Whistling Straits with Ian Poulter straight after...
    11820560_696503000479826_2099780414_n.jpg
    There he is the champion.... Well played big man. Let's get #netjets up and the cold one's flowing.

Well fair play to Poulter - he can be a bit of a prat IMO, but this is great.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Tugboats

vienne86 wrote: »
    Well fair play to Poulter - he can be a bit of a prat IMO, but this is great.

Theres nothing great about it. Poulter is a media whore, everything he does is for his own benefit including that selfie

• Registered Users Posts: 21,109 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Tugboats wrote: »
    Theres nothing great about it. Poulter is a media whore, everything he does is for his own benefit including that selfie

Good to see but you're right, another few hundred air miles clocked up with Netjets.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

There were 25 on that flight, sure the field was so deep they'd all be moving on to the same place so apparently there was plenty of private jets in a row...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,109 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

slave1 wrote: »
    There were 25 on that flight, sure the field was so deep they'd all be moving on to the same place so apparently there was plenty of private jets in a row...

Netjets have really done a fantastic job of marketing on the tour. A high % of players carry their brand/use their jets. Afaik, they don't pay the players but give them air miles instead. Smart move by them.

Slghtly off topic :(

Hon Shaun...Shane

• Registered Users Posts: 15,884 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I just don't get the "Hon" crap. It's a stupid thing to say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

slave1 wrote: »

Couldn't have been 25. That's a Cessna Citation Excel which has a maximum capacity of nine passengers.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Tugboats wrote: »

Ah now that's a very poor thing to say.
    Any proof of that? He always came across as a sound man to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,884 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I like him to. He is one of those guys, you either love him or hate him. A bit like a bag of crisps, you are either a Tayto man, or a King man. Tayto for me please :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

He would have been hanging around waiting to give him a loft for a good while as well

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

So I wonder who Shane will be drawn to play with this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Ah now that's a very poor thing to say. Any proof of that? He always came across as a sound man to me.

I quiet like him two, half way through his book as I type this and getting to like him even more!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

"A bit of a McIlroy" in what way?

His twitter account is so down to earth and his love for sports and in particular gaelic games it's very easy for the irish sporting public to relate to Lowry. McIlroy for obvious reason has to be so sensitive no matter what he tweets as everything is so analysed give the superstar he is. with Lowry it feels like he is any young old irish lad who just happens to be an exceptional golfer.I'm delighted he will be more than likely be representing us in Rio though I like McDowell as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,580 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Probably all stems from back in the day when Poulter said Woods would be his only real rival because he felt he was better than the rest.

That kinda things rubs people up the wrong way.

I like him but he has the capacity to come across as a complete dick at times.

Advertisement