Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

orchard thieves cider

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

emo72 wrote: »
    The orchard thieves is a great example of marketing.

Only successful if people continue to buy it after the initial period. It will need sell alot of cans to get the initial marketting budget back

Now Bulmers 'is a great example of marketing'!!
    I've just started drinking this one from Aldi. It's an Irish cider, it tastes really nice and it's only €1.29 per can :D

https://www.aldi.ie/en/product-range/drinks/ale-stout-lager-cider/cider/cider-product-detail/ps/p/cullens-irish-apple-ciderr/

Will try some this weekend. What is the style? The Lidl dry cider from a can is lovely. Had it from an old style flagon and it was awful, almost stale!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Simon2015

How does Orchard compare with Bulmers cider ?

Would a Bulmers drinker like it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

It actually tastes of apples. slightly sour I think. I would have drank Bulmers before, but would much prefer this. had to have a Bulmers today and it seems much less tasty by comparison.

Though most on here seem to find it too sweet so I suppose it depends on what you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Very sweet. How people are describing it as sour is beyond me. Plenty of artificial apple flavouring to make for quite a pleasing beverage on a hot day. Bulmers has virtually no taste in comparison. This should be treated as an alcopop.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

Simon2015 wrote: »
    How does Orchard compare with Bulmers cider ?

Would a Bulmers drinker like it ?

It's sweeter; think Cidona sweet. But I think your average Bulmers drinker would be fine with it.

• Advertisement

Very sweet. How people are describing it as sour is beyond me. Plenty of artificial apple flavouring to make for quite a pleasing beverage on a hot day. Bulmers has virtually no taste in comparison. This should be treated as an alcopop.

Does it have a similar taste to Kopparberg ?

Simon2015 wrote: »
    Does it have a similar taste to Kopparberg ?

Why not just got a can?

Gongoozler wrote: »
    Why not just got a can?

Because its not a good idea to drink and drive.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

I think it's sweet as well. It's not a bad drink, nice on a warm day and kind of refreshing. It wouldn't cause a massive hangover either as it's low in alcohol.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

PTH2009 wrote: »
    had 3 pints and a bottle yesterday and man its sickaning

its so hard to drink fast imo

If it's that bad why did you keep ordering more?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Deranged96

First few glugs are fine, then the sweetness becomes cloying imo. I think it tastes kind of artificial and chemically as well, like TK's red lemonade.

I'll stick to my plain as dishwater bulmers, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭KwackerJack

Sour?

I tired it and prefer it over Bulmers!

Not sure what some people here were drinking as it's not at all sour!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

No sour at all. Drank 6 or 7 pints of it in Dublin yesterday. Was grand.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

No sour at all. Drank 6 or 7 pints of it in Dublin yesterday. Was grand.

Bet you had no hangover. It's tangy is what it is, tangy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

eternal wrote: »
    Bet you had no hangover. It's tangy is what it is, tangy.

Not bad at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Fat Christy

I really like it. Not as rank as bulmers and not as sickly sweet as kopparberg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

It tastes sweet sour. Like an apple drop.

It actually does taste of apples though. Apparantly they are taking share from bulmers, which doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ghogie91

I love the stuff!

Even better now its on tap absolutely everywhere, because its so sweet/sour its easy to drink in a nightclub.

Also thought I would have to drink the dirty Heineken in Marlay Park this day last week but was absolutely DELIGHTED when I seen they were selling Orchard aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Sonderkommando

Had a few bottle's at a BBQ during the summer, enjoyed it although I must admit to having a poor knowledge off what is considered decent cider .

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

This should be treated as an alcopop.
    +1, kids would love it. I had read this thread and thought people were exagerrating, then I had a few sips, bizarrely fake tasting.

I remember old homebrew cider kits which came with flavouring sachets which I never added. I think some people are more sensitive to fake flavourings, like strawberry or almond which some find absolutely vile, or at least VERY different tasting.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Awful stuff but I think I have been ruined by a cidre called Lefevre. It actually tastes of apples.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

John Mason wrote: »
    I have been ruined by a cidre
    It's affected your ability to spell!

Fecking hate that Lefebvre "cidre" affectation nonsense. If you started calling French wine "vin" everyone would rightly assume you're a tosser...

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Not G.R

BeerNut wrote: »
    It's affected your ability to spell!

Fecking hate that Lefebvre "cidre" affectation nonsense. If you started calling French wine "vin" everyone would rightly assume you're a tosser...

So sayith he of 'Beoir' ... :pac:

(I agree with you BTW :P )

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Not G.R wrote: »
    So sayith he of 'Beoir'
    The day I start referring to beer as "beoir", you have my personal permission to shoot me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Had this on a night out a few weeks ago. After a pint and a half (and nothing else to drink) I was so queasy I had to go home. It's like drinking cidona with a bag of sugar in it. Never touching the stuff again. It's just pure syrup.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭poitinstill

had about 1/3 of a pint bottle yesterday. one of the worst ciders ive ever had. pure artifical taste. can safely say i will never touch it again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

Bit too sickly sweet for me but drinkable...very overpriced in off licences.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Seen this on "special offer" in the local Spar. Usually the beer in that section is either near its sell by date or they just cant shift it.

Am I right to assume this cider wont be around for too long?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,777 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Trond wrote: »
    Seen this on "special offer" in the local Spar. Usually the beer in that section is either near its sell by date or they just cant shift it.

Am I right to assume this cider wont be around for too long?

Probably not widely available but Heineken might keep it going for bars they have a stake in and large events etc.

• Advertisement

:confused: it's in all the supermarkets, and on tap in loads of pubs, I don't see it going anywhere

Advertisement