Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sindo hits a new low

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

From the ad:
    We understand the site is held on a 24 year lease from the 1st of January 2011 and the current annual rent & service charges are €10,300 p.a. including VAT.

No wonder it needs a sindo editorial to talk the place up. Wonder which one of O Briens buddies is looking to sell?....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

I can't decide whether it's White Trash In The Sun or Skanks & Their Sugar Daddies On Tour.

What it ain't is any version of chic high society. For a start, beautiful people aren't meant to be that ugly.

From the ad:

We understand the site is held on a 24 year lease from the 1st of January 2011 and the current annual rent & service charges are €10,300 p.a. including VAT.

This looks like a Timeshare or whatever term they use nowadays. It's POA so maybe they'll pay you to take this expense off their hands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

In fairness to Niamh Horan, if there are idiots around prepared to spout that kind of rubbish, and other idiots prepared to believe that these nouveau riche blingers represent some kind of high society, she's just giving people what they want.

I think it's well understood now that the Sindo is a cheap rag and the people featured in it are, in the main, vapid non entities who think hanging designer labels out of their ears and erecting security gates around their tacky piles in Castleknock and Howth make them role models the rest of us aspire to follow with bated breath.

Rags like the Sindo and vacuous TV shows like Ryan Tubridy's Late Late Show I notice seem to feature the SAME faces over and over and over .. and over. I am beginning to REALLY believe that these people own our TV stations, our papers and our radio stations. Without mentioning any names, but there are at least 5 people who either have a TV and paper article every week or else appear on TV and papers as guest every week. 2 of the latter types one being a solicitor is named here already! But there are many more like a certain chef and a certain boyband manager.

We see the same people stuck everywhere. I am for one sick of year in year out seeing the same person who I saw on Tubridy on Friday staring at me from the glossy Sindo magazine on Sunday.

Columns like Barry Egan are terrible cheap gossip of celebs and semi-celebs. They remind me of the UK tabloids and their royal family obsession. This is the printed equivalent of Tubridy's most airhead interviews.

Surely, our papers and TV can give us better than that? Since when did our national broadcasters, papers and other media become personal promo tools of an elite group of people who must own, control or in some way influence them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I love the repeated use of "yummy mummies" in the article beside pictures of more money than class, ordinary middle-aged women with bad makeup and worse cosmetic procedures.

It's just amazing the self-delusion some women are capable of. At the school my kids go to I'd say there's a grand total of one of the mothers at the school gates who could accurately be described as a "yummy mummy". The rest are ordinary looking thirty-something and forty-something women yet the majority of them seem to believe the label applies to themselves and the rest of the "girlos" they like to gossip with over their mid-morning chai-latté :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

There was an article the other day about Dublins high fliers in the Indo...... It was the worst thing I've ever scrolled past ever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Garbage !!! Any way I can somehow decrement the counter that was up'ed for my wasted click ??

Any hackers out there that can lash in a counterFor****eIndepenDentDomain--; :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Rags like the Sindo and vacuous TV shows like Ryan Tubridy's Late Late Show I notice seem to feature the SAME faces over and over and over .. and over. I am beginning to REALLY believe that these people own our TV stations, our papers and our radio stations. Without mentioning any names, but there are at least 5 people who either have a TV and paper article every week or else appear on TV and papers as guest every week. 2 of the latter types one being a solicitor is named here already! But there are many more like a certain chef and a certain boyband manager.

We see the same people stuck everywhere. I am for one sick of year in year out seeing the same person who I saw on Tubridy on Friday staring at me from the glossy Sindo magazine on Sunday.

Columns like Barry Egan are terrible cheap gossip of celebs and semi-celebs. They remind me of the UK tabloids and their royal family obsession. This is the printed equivalent of Tubridy's most airhead interviews.

Surely, our papers and TV can give us better than that? Since when did our national broadcasters, papers and other media become personal promo tools of an elite group of people who must own, control or in some way influence them all.

I'll give you a two worded answer.

Noel Kelly.

Cormac... wrote: »
    There was an article the other day about Dublins high fliers in the Indo...... It was the worst thing I've ever scrolled past ever

Yes, this is EXACTLY the type of stuff that is sickening. Did not read it but read too much stuff like it. These people are 'high fliers' because of all the publicity the media types give them. The UK TV shows are nothing near what the Irish ones are when it comes to crass promotion of a closed clique of people and I guess the papers keep focused on the royals, so even the tabloids from there are much better than our papers.

sligojoek wrote: »
    I'll give you a two worded answer.

Noel Kelly.

Just checked him out and low and behold, Tubridy and Kenny are there. So are several of these chefs. RTE, the Sindo and the rest of the united media clearly are tied into a few of these.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Is this the stupid bish that went on about her flat costing so much and having to shop at Aldi?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,520 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Is this the stupid bish that went on about her flat costing so much and having to shop at Aldi?

Nope, it's her equally empty-headed best mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Nope, it's her equally empty-headed best mate.

Seems to be a few tools short of a tool bag, id still ride her

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Seems to be a few tools short of a tool bag, id still ride her
    That's the only thing that keeps her in business. If she was an auld dog nobody would read a word of what she writes.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,823 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

There's so much of a tie in between flash Harry and flogging stuff that they need to promote high house prices, lavish holidays and big car purchases to entice clowns so they can price adverts accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Did anyone read this story yesterday?

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/family-fears-gran-81-will-never-fly-again-after-nightmare-aer-lingus-experience-31404216.html

Some of the facebook comments were hilarious...

"Claire mc corrmac you can shove this article right up your hole! And here's the reasons why. 1) it clearly states when booking your flights to arrive two and a half hours before check in time to allow for these processes. This applies to everyone. From 8 years old to 80 years old. 2) the reason your relation didn't make their flight was because of their own stupidity (yes pensioners can be stupid too) and was no fault of aer lingus. And point number 3) your journalism skill is HIGHLY wasted you have a chance to reach so many people in Ireland and the world to inform us of the things both good and bad in this world , yet you choose to publish a personal vendetta. Very unprofessional"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭nc6000

So basically she was late for her flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,412 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

The is a more important point in all this newspapers use to keep the state to account to a certain degree and the independent has some good journalists of the old school, but lots of people myself included have stopped buying the paper because of the dross, if the government and local authorities stopped advertising jobs in the paper it would be lost all together, 3 weeks ago I saw someone buy he paper and take out the Aldi voucher and then throw the paper in the bin outside the garage.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,241 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I love it when a newspaper posts a carefully a crafted but wildly inaccurate hate piece looking to raise hate and anger, only for the entire comments section to disagree with it!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

In fairness though security at Dublin Airport is a mess. I travel a lot and it seems to be one of the most disorganised and inefficient anywhere.

For example, the conveyors are far too short meaning that people are taking out laptops etc at the last minute, holding up everybody else. Staff see their function as checking about the plastic cosmetic bags, which most other airports dont bother with any more. You often see staff supposed to be monitoring the security screens hopping off their chairs, joking with colleagues etc, all because the line is moving too slowly... and this in itself is a security risk.

The really annoying thing for a passenger is that all this could be fixed with proper management and organisation.

Having said that, the article is a personal hit piece which a journalist shouldnt be allowed to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,340 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

In fairness though security at Dublin Airport is a mess. I travel a lot and it seems to be one of the most disorganised and inefficient anywhere.

For example, the conveyors are far too short meaning that people are taking out laptops etc at the last minute, holding up everybody else. Staff see their function as checking about the plastic cosmetic bags, which most other airports dont bother with any more. You often see staff supposed to be monitoring the security screens hopping off their chairs, joking with colleagues etc, all because the line is moving too slowly... and this in itself is a security risk.

The really annoying thing for a passenger is that all this could be fixed with proper management and organisation.

Having said that, the article is a personal hit piece which a journalist shouldnt be allowed to do.

Being such a 'seasoned traveller', when she saw the airport was busy, she should have paid for Fast Track. She would have been through security in 5 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Women arrives too late to make her flight. Why is this a news story? What's her relationship with the author of the 'story'?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭mailforkev

Sure there was an article in it yesterday (I presume, I only saw it online) about how Carrick on Shannon was now worse than Magaluf thanks to hoards of marauding stag and hen parties.

I was told by a journalist a couple of years ago about a business trip he had to the Indo's HQ. The only rival paper they had in the office was the Daily Mail. That was what they were benchmarking against.

Any actual journos working in INM must be tearing their hair out.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,300 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

highly1111 wrote: »
    http://m.independent.ie/style/celebrity/celebrity-news/south-dublins-jet-set-are-back-enjoying-the-sun-31352321.html

So checking the news online this morning (thanks kids for the lie in!!) and come across this peach. Front page of their website. Crux is people are now holidaying again and the southside jet set are back up to six holidays a year instead of the quiet 4 during the recessions. There's lots of quotes from socialites and the owner of a boutique (!) but not one named source - shocker.

I think its time to just block independent.ie from my phone because of course the clicks mean sales which makes more money Mr. O'Brien et al.

Another Niamh Horan beaut.

Nothing she pens is of any worth whatsoever

Virginia is hitting glam Marbella. Is Marbella glam now?

actually it is

always has been

I would have to 100% disagree with you

Dublin Airport is exceptional

And I've travelled a f**k load

• Administrators Posts: 53,556 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Do people who aspire to be journalists actually want to end up working at the likes of the Indo and the red tops?

Is it considered a good gig among the journo profession, or is it the journalistic equivalent of a McJob?

• Subscribers Posts: 32,850 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I've bought the Sunday Independent a bit recently and glad I did each time. It costs 2.90 but saves me a tenner off the weekly shop in Lidl and then I just bin the paper without reading it. Money well spent.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,241 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

lawred2 wrote: »

I'm also curious as to how no one else had problems with flights at the same time.

1 hour 30 mins check in before take off means c. 70 mins to get from desk to gate. There's no way security was THAT bad and no one else noticed.

Either the reporter is lying about the times (probable) or he's neglecting the fact that the passenger didn't go directly to boarding.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

lawred2 wrote: »

Yeah, I am the same. Since they opened T2 Dublin airport has been great.
    The queues for security move at a good pace, never too long a delay there. Staff are friendly and you dont have that claustrophobic feel that you get in some airports (especially ones with low ceilings!).

Anyone complaining about our security queues should try going in or out of the US.

Advertisement