Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glorney Gilbert International 2015

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

So after round 2 -

Glorney
    Ireland 7
    England 6½
    Wales 3½
    Scotland 3

Gilbert
    England 5
    Ireland 4
    Wales 2½
    Scotland ½

Robinson
    Ireland 10½
    England 8
    Scotland 3
    Wales 2½

Stokes
    England 7½
    Scotland 6
    Wales 5½
    Ireland 5

Obviously the games against England are huge - they're the holders in each section. And given how the English team improved in the second round of games last year, maybe the Robinson even need to win their game to have a hope of taking the title.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭sinbad68

How could result of glorney competition be regarded as valid when an irish federation player is playing for wales ?!!. Players are fixed to their boards regardless of performance and instead of playing 6 different players to give them a better experience, end up playing the same player twice in the tournament .If they had a swiss system barring same federation players playing each other , winners would get rewarded in the next round , also northern ireland could have sent a few kids and not be left out in the cold .

The location of competition is puzzling , instead of a seaside location or a town where kids could go between or after games sightseeing or shopping , They are in a tiny town void of attractions and kids arrival has doubled the population of the town !.

The Irish player isn't playing for Wales - they're scratching board 5, and the Irish guy is subbing in to give the other board 5s a game. But even if the Irish guy win, Wales lose.

The venue is superb. There's an hour or so between rounds; there's no real time to go sightseeing anyway. The hotel has plenty of facilities. Enfield has shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭pawntof4

sinbad68 wrote: »
    How could result of glorney competition be regarded as valid when an irish federation player is playing for wales ?!!. Players are fixed to their boards regardless of performance and instead of playing 6 different players to give them a better experience, end up playing the same player twice in the tournament .If they had a swiss system barring same federation players playing each other , winners would get rewarded in the next round , also northern ireland could have sent a few kids and not be left out in the cold .

The location of competition is puzzling , instead of a seaside location or a town where kids could go between or after games sightseeing or shopping , They are in a tiny town void of attractions and kids arrival has doubled the population of the town !.

Do you ever have anything positive to say about people who volunteer their free time to organise junior chess in Ireland?

Great quick-fire win from Henry Li on board 1 of the Robinson - just the start needed! It helped that yer man seemed to completely overestimate a queen sac, but 1-0 up already.

• Advertisement

Nice end to board 4 in the Robinson, and we drew on board 5 too - now Ireland 2½-½ England.

Guaranteed to be in the lead at the turn; another couple of points here would be huge now. We're a pawn up on 3 and have a nice position on 6 (I think 22. ... a5 is the only way to save the knight, but then 23. Qd7+ and 24. a3 looks to be a strong continuation)

Edit - we're black, not white, on 6 - oops! I missed 22. ... Rf3, but I think 23. Bh6 could be very strong now.

3½-½ now; Ross wins.

23. Bh6 maybe isn't as dangerous as I thought as BxB is with check. And after RxB, there's a queen check and fork to pick up the rook. Though I think white can now play d7+ and force the win of black's rook, at the cost of that big pawn though. No idea what's going on there!

4-1 now; a draw in that game.

Something strange going on in the last game - both sides seem to be ignoring a hanging knight on e2. The board hasn't been working properly most of the game. England have gone in for two rooks v queen, but the two bishops look good for us.

Even 4-2 means a 4½ point lead at the half-way mark.

Trivial win in the last game now - Q, B+3 v R+3.

5-1 win! Incredible stuff.

Means we're 6½ points clear and have one hand on the trophy. We could even lose 6-0 to England in the return and it's still in our hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭eclipsechaser

2.5-2.5 against England in the Glorney. Alex Byrne did very well to hold on from a very tough opening. Scott Mulligan produced an important win after a tough day yesterday. Half a point ahead at the half-way point!

• Advertisement

We drew in the Stokes and the Gilbert as well - so unbeaten in four matches against England, which is an excellent achievement.

When did we last win the Glorney or Robinson, does anyone know? I suspect England's preparation will see them home in the Glorney, but it'd be a major disappointment if we didn't win the Robinson from here.

Ireland v Scotland and England v Wales for round 4.

Tables after round 3 -

Glorney
    Ireland 9½
    England 9
    Scotland 6½
    Wales 5

Gilbert
    England 6½
    Ireland 5½
    Wales 4
    Scotland 2

Robinson
    Ireland 15½
    England 9
    Wales 7½
    Scotland 4

Stokes
    England 10½
    Wales 9½
    Ireland 8
    Scotland 8

cdeb wrote: »
    The Irish player isn't playing for Wales - they're scratching board 5, and the Irish guy is subbing in to give the other board 5s a game. But even if the Irish guy win, Wales lose.

Glorney has a website, why this info was not announced there, are we suppose to guess about this arrangement ?
    The venue is superb. There's an hour or so between rounds; there's no real time to go sightseeing anyway. The hotel has plenty of facilities. Enfield has shops.

There is time before and after the games and as for between games, many games end early, with sterling being so strong against euro, uk visitors could be interested in buying stuff here and as for shops I meant electronic stuff, etc and was not talking about buying a can of coke and a Mars bar.
    pawntof4 wrote: »
    Do you ever have anything positive to say about people who volunteer their free time to organise junior chess in Ireland?

The answer to your question is, YES ! .

Great quick-fire win from Henry Li on board 1 of the Robinson - just the start needed! It helped that yer man seemed to completely overestimate a queen sac, but 1-0 up already.

You wouldn't get a 1200 rated player here doing that silly queen sac ,let alone a 1800 fide rated , perhaps he was not well or could it be, he heard it's becoming fashionable here to throw games and decided to do in Rome as Romans do ?. cdeb, keep up your tweets on boards.ie .:)

Glorney has a website, why this info was not announced there, are we suppose to guess about this arrangement ?
    You could (a) use a bit of common sense, (b) compare the Welsh squad listed on the website to the team playing and realise one of them is missing or (c) look at the results section where the Irish sub is described as a filler - in any event, fairly obvious what's happened really. I'm surprised you, with your magical powers of deduction, are having trouble with it!
    There is time before and after the games and as for between games, many games end early, with sterling being so strong against euro, uk visitors could be interested in buying stuff here and as for shops I meant electronic stuff, etc and was not talking about buying a can of coke and a Mars bar.
    I think they can manage for a couple of days without buying some new electronic gadget to be quite honest. Between games is time for a bit of lunch. There's not much time before games; they start at 9am.

There's plenty to keep people occupied in the venue. I spoke to some people at the venue on Sunday and they all said it was excellent.

Slip up in the Robinson; 3-3 with Scotland. England only take 4½ off Wales - so the gap down to 5 points.

England re-take the lead in the Glorney - though there's also a European youth team championship on at the moment, and the four players there would all get on the Glorney team.

There's one game ongoing in the Gilbert - move 115 of an opposite coloured bishop ending. It should be a draw (England v Wales), which means we'd be joint top with England there.

And another strange day in the Stokes, as we win 4-2 and England lose 3½-2½. 1 point separates the top three now.

You could (a) use a bit of common sense, (b) compare the Welsh squad listed on the website to the team playing and realise one of them is missing or (c) look at the results section where the Irish sub is described as a filler - in any event, fairly obvious what's happened really. I'm surprised you, with your magical powers of deduction, are having trouble with it!

I did my deductions, just highlighting lack of info and clarity by organisers. What gave you the idea I had magical powers :confused:, I don't even have a flying carpet :(.
    I think they can manage for a couple of days without buying some new electronic gadget to be quite honest. Between games is time for a bit of lunch. There's not much time before games; they start at 9am.

Visitors arrived a day before the competition and leaving a day after it ends, it would be nice to leave the venue and stroll into a town or on a beach rather than staring into farm fields and watch cars whizzing past, going somewhere more interesting.

Visitors arrived a day before the competition and leaving a day after it ends, it would be nice to leave the venue and stroll into a town or on a beach rather than staring into farm fields and watch cars whizzing past, going somewhere more interesting.
    And a beach or a shop is the only thing of interest in the world?

Never mind that you're a short drive away from the Hill of Tara or Newgrange or Tayto Park? Or that there's 120 acres of gardens attached to the hotel to walk through?

Sorry, you sound like you're moaning for the sake of it, without really understanding what you're talking about.

The venue is grand.

Ireland 3-2 up against Wales at the moment. Not sure what's happened in the last game - clocks have gone, but would have thought black (us) had winning chances after Rb4.

England 2½-1½ up against Scotland. One board is trivially lost (R+3 v R) They're a piece for pawn down in the other.

So if all the remaining games go against us (and they won't), we'll have a 3½ point lead going into the last round, and a 4½-1½ defeat would seal the title.

Every one point swing in the last three games is a half point less we need against England.

Looks pretty much in the bag (jinx!!)

Looks like both Ireland and England will win 2½-½ in the Gilbert - so a straight head-to-head for the title there.

Out of it in the Stokes after a 4½-1½ defeat. England won 4-2; Wales are a half point ahead going into the last round.

Great win in the Glorney though - 4½-½ against Wales. England won 4-1 and we're level on points going into the last round.

England lose 2½-3½ against Scotland.

So they're on 16 and we're on 22½ with one game still going.

So Ireland win the Robinson!

Glorney:
    Both Ireland and England are on 17 points each headed into the final round against each other. Their previous result was 2.5-2.5 so it could come down to 2nd tie-break if they draw again. I don't know what the rules are for 2nd tie-break.

Apparently the last time we won was in 1963...

This could be a good day!

Gilbert:
    Both Ireland and England are on level points and are about to face off against each other. Their previous result was 2.5-2.5 so it could come down to 2nd tie-break if they draw again!

Robinson:
    Ireland are exactly 6 points ahead of England. Therefore a draw will win the Robinson for them. A 6-0 loss to England would leave them on level points but losing on head to head tie-break.

Stokes:
    Bad morning for Ireland as they went down to Wales. It's been a very tight competition but a win here now looks extremely unlikely.

Great event. This is going to be an exciting finish no matter what way it goes!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭reunion

Glorney:
    Both Ireland and England are on 17 points each headed into the final round against each other. Their previous result was 2.5-2.5 so it could come down to 2nd tie-break if they draw again. I don't know what the rules are for 2nd tie-break.

Apparently the last time we won was in 1963...

This could be a good day!

Gilbert:
    Both Ireland and England are on level points and are about to face off against each other. Their previous result was 2.5-2.5 so it could come down to 2nd tie-break if they draw again!

Robinson:
    Ireland are exactly 6 points ahead of England. Therefore a draw will win the Robinson for them. A 6-0 loss to England would leave them on level points but losing on head to head tie-break.

Stokes:
    Bad morning for Ireland as they went down to Wales. It's been a very tight competition but a win here now looks extremely unlikely.

Great event. This is going to be an exciting finish no matter what way it goes!

Good luck to all the teams. It might be good to finally have some news from Irish Chess that isn't a controversy.

• Advertisement

A draw on board 5 in the Robinson confirms Ireland win. Seems I called it a bit too soon earlier on, but confirmed now at least!

First blood Ireland in the Glorney too - Tom O'Gorman with a crushing win.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭HaraldSchmidt

In the Glorney, Conor O'Donnell has a clear advantage, and I wouldn't be surprised to see his opponent go down very quickly.
    On board 2, although Scott is up the exchange, black has a very dangerous attack. It could go either way. Sadly, I think some of the moves have not been transmitted, so we don't know what is happening at the moment.

On board 3, Alex Byrne has a slight disadvantage, although his opponent looks like he wants a draw.

Tom won nicely on board 4. He has one hell of a punch!

It looks like we are lost on board 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭HaraldSchmidt

Scratch what I just said about board 5, white gave up most of his advantage, and now he has a very slightly better B+P endgame. Probably a draw.

Was just wondering that!

Alex takes a draw; 1 more point needed to share the title (tie-breaks pending).

Took a draw on board 3 in the Gilbert - interesting call when a pawn up and needing 1½ minimum to win. The extra pawn is gammy, but surely worth playing on anyway given the importance of the match? And to see what happens. Not looking great on the other two boards I think.

Extremely tense here.

Robinson have won it as already reported.

Gilbert have unfortunately lost.

FM Conor O'Donnell is ahead but it's very complicated and could go either way. Conor Maher looks like a drawn position but the pressure might be high. If both draw, we win on 2nd tie-break by a point...

Looks like Conor O'Donnell's winning chances are now extremely low. He needs Conor Maher to draw if we're to take it. GM Baburin thinks it will be tough for Conor Maher to hold.

This is as close as it gets...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,164 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1m1tless

Instead of 32.. Bd7 could he have taken f5 with his bishop?

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭brilliantboy

Neo_Ninja wrote: »
    Instead of 32.. Bd7 could he have taken f5 with his bishop?

33.Rxf5 Rxf5 34. Ne7+

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,164 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1m1tless

Of course! Thanks for that! Looks like we could win on board 2 in the Gilbert. Do we lose the tie break?

Advertisement